ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Redwood
Freshman
And1: 70

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1121 » by Redwood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am

As everyone here knows the playoffs are a different animal, even in this watered down garbage version of the NBA. Shots are harder to come by and matter more, which means you need players that can consistently hit them. We don't have that, we don't have anything remotely similar to that.

This team isn't built for the playoffs, simple as that.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,500

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1122 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 am

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
T-Cat wrote:Could we have Mosley step in a front office position so we can get Redick

This is silly. Mosley is already learning the lessons Reddick will have to learn.

He's been coaching 4th graders or something, would be a hell of a jump lol.

Steve Nash went from 1st year darling to unemployed pretty quickly, would be hard with a Charlotte team that isn't getting any better.

I'm good with Mosley as long as I see improvement. Tonight he went back to the starters super quick in the 4th. That's growth to me. The directive from the front office is probably really laid back with the coach and the players understanding the youth and inexperience. I also think their strategy with the young core is to just throw them to the fire and let them learn. Franz, Suggs, and Banchero were first and then the other younger players like Jett and Black will be next. There really isn't any rush from a macro level. The reality is these guys are barely 22. Fans get caught up though but that's what fans are supposed to do.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1123 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 am

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Our offense is so putrid man I can't help but wonder how it looks if we went another way. Mose said he runs and read and react offense and he wants the guys to become decision makers but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be better to just run a regular offense and put paolo on rails with way more set actions.... Instead of him just trying to read everything and survey and just be more decisive

It's difficult to consistently run set actions with no point guard.

They need to start letting Jalen do more again. He looked good tonight initiating at the top of the key even if it a lot of them were just dump offs.. those used to be turnovers last year. He had a an insanely good cross court pass that went unnoticed.. the good chest pass to Franz.. the kick ahead to Banchero.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Post#1124 » by dsg2021 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am

The thing about playing Goga, Caleb, and Black is that one Caleb and Black might just straight up hit more accurately from 3 than Gary. We’re also not seeing the good defense from Fultz we’ve been used to either, which makes him a net negative.

Two, it’s about priorities. When you got Fultz and Wendell, you get in this headspace like “Oh well, I got these two high IQ guys. Let me pass and see what we cook as a team.”

But it’s been awful for the most part this year. Our best stretches and moments were all when the lineup was simpler and the buck stops with Paolo and Franz. And now you got Black and Goga who play an inch or two higher than their counterparts, play like demons on defense, and know their role on offense. And Paolo and Franz know, when I do PnR, when I drive, it’s not for nothing, they need to be looking to score and emphasize every part of their game.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,316

Post#1125 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 am

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Our offense is so putrid man I can't help but wonder how it looks if we went another way. Mose said he runs and read and react offense and he wants the guys to become decision makers but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be better to just run a regular offense and put paolo on rails with way more set actions.... Instead of him just trying to read everything and survey and just be more decisive

On mine stream brodcasting team flat out said Magic don't have (traditional) PG and can't really shoot.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Post#1126 » by dsg2021 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:00 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

They need to start letting Jalen do more again. He looked good tonight initiating at the top of the key even if it a lot of them were just dump offs.. those used to be turnovers last year. He had a an insanely good cross court pass that went unnoticed.. the good chest pass to Franz.. the kick ahead to Banchero.

I’ve been saying this recently too. Said it twice in the last 3 months or so. It’s really strange because they gave him burn last year. And even stranger was he has downhill speed, he drives like a football player, he’s got a few tricks too. Just very weird stuff to not develop him as PG too much this year.

I love Anthony Black but we really might have a big 3 averaging a 34 3P%. Black will need a 3 to stay. Cole is probably too small to stay, I put up with it as a Jameer fan but I won’t be a Cole fan this time around. The answer is Black if he really creates a 3 like he’s been starting to, Jalen, or a new player. Should’ve been working on those three scenarios more in retrospect. And Jalen is one I would have been working on as a PG in the last 3 months.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1127 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:04 am

Look for anyone on the ledge.. contrary to what some might think good players get better.. their careers almost always peak somewhere. Jalen Franchero will all be better in a couple of years.. better than a 5 seed.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,818

Post#1128 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 am

ibraheim718 wrote:Look for anyone on the ledge.. contrary to what some might think good players get better.. their careers almost always peak somewhere. Jalen Franchero will all be better in a couple of years.. better than a 5 seed.

Fans who wanted to tank/rebuild also need to have the stomach for young players struggling and learning the hard way. Even if this roster was set up at its most optimal at this moment, it wouldn't have guaranteed an easy first round win. You'd probably see a better offensive team with worse defense.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1129 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 am

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:Look for anyone on the ledge.. contrary to what some might think good players get better.. their careers almost always peak somewhere. Jalen Franchero will all be better in a couple of years.. better than a 5 seed.

Fans who wanted to tank/rebuild also need to have the stomach for young players struggling and learning the hard way. Even if this roster was set up at its most optimal at this moment, it wouldn't have guaranteed an easy first round win. You'd probably see a better offensive team with worse defense.

I expected it to be ugly but I also expect them to show flashes. I have them winning game 3.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,414

Post#1130 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 am

byeganyo wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
He's not the only one...

Me on 7/26/23

Hartenstein played really well with the Clippers when he was allowed to do a lot of the dribble hand off/high post passing fulcrum stuff that the Magic do with Carter offensively. And he's a plus defender.

I don't think the Knicks used him as well as they could have and he would be better served here.

Me on 12/28/22

Just go get Hartenstein from the Knicks.

Me on 12/6/22

I'd glad give them any of the expiring contracts (Ross, Bamba, Hampton) and a 2nd.

Hartenstein can really play and they're using him poorly.

Me on 10/4/22

The Magic would be massively better off had they signed Hartenstein instead of Bamba.

Me on 7/29/22

Statistically, Hartenstein is way better than Bamba and was arguably the best backup center in the entire NBA last season.

I'd be 100% in favor of signing him.

Me on 4/22/24
Hartenstein is a bench player. Definition of mid. Prefer Claxton.

Great timing, lol, you should watch players more before you judge them, Hartenstein was just a big part of one of the biggest nights in Knicks recent history...
I did watch. Not impressed
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,818

Post#1131 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 am

ibraheim718 wrote:I expected it to be ugly but I also expect them to show flashes. I have them winning game 3.

I'm okay with anything from 0-4 to a series win, but I just want some competitive games.

Regardless, for the other teams around our age, we're the only ones in the playoffs in the bottom 8. This was after in-season trades and roster moves or else OKC would be lower.

San Antonio Spurs
Detroit Pistons
Utah Jazz
Orlando Magic
Portland Trail Blazers
Charlotte Hornets
Brooklyn Nets
Washington Wizards
Oklahoma City Thunder
Husky1
Senior
And1: 314

Post#1132 » by Husky1 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:18 am

This whole not playing AB and Goga just isn't making any sense. Its like that franchise winning streak during the year meant nothing to Mose. What about the game where AB had Brunson in jail? while we sit here and watch Mtchell and garland light up Cole, Ingles etc.
I cannot watch this team next season if any of WCJ, Cole, Fultz and Ingles are on it.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,556

Post#1133 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 am

Husky1 wrote:This whole not playing AB and Goga just isn't making any sense. Its like that franchise winning streak during the year meant nothing to Mose. What about the game where AB had Brunson in jail? while we sit here and watch Mtchell and garland light up Cole, Ingles etc.
I cannot watch this team next season if any of WCJ, Cole, Fultz and Ingles are on it.

I'll bet money at least one of these four guys and probably two or three of them will be here next season.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,414

Post#1134 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:31 am

Knightro wrote:
Husky1 wrote:This whole not playing AB and Goga just isn't making any sense. Its like that franchise winning streak during the year meant nothing to Mose. What about the game where AB had Brunson in jail? while we sit here and watch Mtchell and garland light up Cole, Ingles etc.

I'll bet money at least one of these four guys and probably two or three of them will be here next season.
As long as Fultz is gone I'm fine
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#1135 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 am

Good thing they didn’t put the Magic games on tv lol. Besides this series a good night of basketball
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 354

Post#1136 » by pinoynurse » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 am

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

same
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,931

Post#1137 » by islanders11040 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:20 am

RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:IHart would be seeing a $25+ mil per contract from me

Is he leaving the Knicks?

knicks have his early bird rights so the most we can pay him is about $18 mil year 1 with a yearly escalating contract. plus Knicks can add an extra 5th year (4 yrs for u guys max). so if u guys blow him away with a huge offer u can possibly steal him away from us.
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,598

Post#1138 » by penny_nz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

On mine stream brodcasting team flat out said Magic don't have (traditional) PG and can't really shoot.

No lies detected
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#1139 » by KillMonger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 am

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

so you're at that point with fultz?
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 769

Post#1140 » by Tarheel » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 am

I'd be up for seeing some Goga minutes in G3. We were getting killed on the boards and he'd offer us some rim protection.

I thought that was the difference in the game, to be honest. Even when we looked like we might make a game of it early in the fourth Mitchell and Garland got easy layups three possessions in a row and that was game. We were also one and done on most possessions, they got a lot of second chance points.

When you're shooting as badly as we are you need to risk chucking bodies at the offensive glass or we won't score enough to get near the Cavs.

Return to Orlando Magic