ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1161 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Their core is already in their prime. Not a good example. We can definitely bank on internal improvement.

I agree that Banchero, Wagner and Suggs will continue to improve, but that's probably not enough.

It's arguable that of the next 7 guys in the rotation, 6 of them aren't good enough?
I mean, lotto talent will determine our ultimate ceiling, which you've mentioned before. Their development will be the critical growth driver over the next few seasons. Five lotto picks to develop is an embarrassment of riches and given how good we already are we have a lot of reason to feel optimistic.

We also have cap flexibility and all of our draft equity. If the front office is serious about winning they'll maximize player development + player acquisition. But ultimately I think player acquisition is a smaller factor.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,558

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1162 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 pm

eyriq wrote:We also have cap flexibility and all of our draft equity. If the front office is serious about winning they'll maximize player development + player acquisition. But ultimately I think player acquisition is a smaller factor.

They will 100% step backwards next season if they do this. Their "unexpected" success this season, while very nice, is also not going to afford them the luxury of going 42-40 next year.

And the perception will be that progress has stalled/plateaued (even if that isn't completely true) and the pressure will be cranked up even more on Mosley and on the front office to figure out the rest of the roster.

They've put themselves in a position where they have no choice but to attempt to take the next step forward NEXT season which is only going to happen with player acquisition.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#1163 » by p0peye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:We also have cap flexibility and all of our draft equity. If the front office is serious about winning they'll maximize player development + player acquisition. But ultimately I think player acquisition is a smaller factor.

They will 100% step backwards next season if they do this. Their "unexpected" success this season, while very nice, is also not going to afford them the luxury of going 42-40 next year.

And the perception will be that progress has stalled/plateaued (even if that isn't completely true) and the pressure will be cranked up even more on Mosley and on the front office to figure out the rest of the roster.

They've put themselves in a position where they have no choice but to attempt to take the next step forward NEXT season which is only going to happen with player acquisition.

Pretty much co-sign all of this.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,417

Post#1164 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

Knightro wrote:

I think the top 5 defense is real. The biggest reason we are a bottom 20 offense are turnovers. Paolo and Franz will improve here. I think it's reasonable to expect a top 20 offense and a top 5 defense which will put us around 48 wins or better.

Edit: I will say though that every time I've wanted to argue with you you've ended up being right so I kind of just have to own that your read is probably more accurate than my own. And ultimately, I think the reason you're more accurate is because you have a healthy skepticism about the quality of our front office.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#1165 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm

Cavs are not a good matchup for us, I knew going into it thar they had two guys who could really defend Paolo in Allen and Mobley but I didn't know they had three. Nieng is pretty good too, there's a reason why the fat guy sticks around in the league.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,558

Post#1166 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 pm

eyriq wrote:I will say though that every time I've wanted to argue with you you've ended up being right so I kind of just have to own that your read is probably more accurate than my own. And ultimately, I think the reason you're more accurate is because you have a healthy skepticism about the quality of our front office.

To be fair to Weltman and his front office, I don't think they are incompetent!

They did the Vooch trade and that was a grand slam.

They drafted three guys we all really like in the high lotto.

They've given out reasonable and fair contract extensions.

That said...

Weltman's also shown a level of passivity (or patience if you wanna look at it more optimistically) that is appropriate when you're rebuilding and things ultimately don't really matter, but isn't really acceptable when it's time to actually make tough decisions on building out a winning roster.

I just don't trust Weltman's ability to transition from we're "collecting assets for our eventual build" to "we're now building a championship caliber roster" - and I hope this offseason he proves me wrong in a very big way.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#1167 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:I will say though that every time I've wanted to argue with you you've ended up being right so I kind of just have to own that your read is probably more accurate than my own. And ultimately, I think the reason you're more accurate is because you have a healthy skepticism about the quality of our front office.

To be fair to Weltman and his front office, I don't think they are incompetent!

They did the Vooch trade and that was a grand slam.

They drafted three guys we all really like in the high lotto.

They've given out reasonable and fair contract extensions.

That said...

Weltman's also shown a level of passivity (or patience if you wanna look at it more optimistically) that is appropriate when you're rebuilding and things ultimately don't really matter, but isn't really acceptable when it's time to actually make tough decisions on building out a winning roster.

I just don't trust Weltman's ability to transition from we're "collecting assets for our eventual build" to "we're now building a championship caliber roster" - and I hope this offseason he proves me wrong in a very big way.

Yea, I agree here

The biggest blemish on Weltman's tenure was taking Bamba in a loaded 2018 draft. That set the team back, starting off the regime with a blown lottery pick.

Now it looks like he may have blown it again with more blown lottery picks Jett and Black. There are 60 new rookies every year, they don't have alot of value just because they're young.

I'm still think Weltman would be fired by now if he hadn't gotten the no.1 pick in 2022.
ARandomStranger
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#1168 » by ARandomStranger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm

I don't think AB and Jett are blown picks, I think they will be irreplaceable talents in the next few years for deep playoff pushes. But they need playing time and they need time to grow. I didn't expect much from year one, but at least AB seems to be capable and another offseason of development for all of our under 24 players will be crucial. Though I do expect them to go kind of ham in obtaining shooters after watching this series though.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#1169 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:24 pm

Gosh guys, watching that game. Outside of the 1st quarter I thought we did amazing. Our defense was clutch and while the Cavs defense was good as well we were missing what should be 3pt practice with some of our shooters left that wide open.

Paolo both on offense and defense was fun to watch. He stepped it up. Franz had a couple moments where he turned it on and drilled a couple 3s but then forgot he just made one and lost his confidence. Like if he can't get 100% his shot he isn't going to take it. That's where he needs to work on improvement.

Suggs, could have gone 0-10. He came back and gave us a great 2nd half and although didn't make any 3s. The numbers don't lie that there was an impact when he was on the floor.

Mo is public enemy number 1, and I love that.

Isaac, oh ye minister of defense needs to ask who I think is the same God as mine what's up with his shot. Because they are going to give him 7 looks a game until he makes 4. Period. Same 3-ball story with Wendell. This idea that if they shoot 2 a game and it goes in 37% of the time is not the detractor people think it is.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#1170 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 pm

ARandomStranger wrote:I don't think AB and Jett are blown picks, I think they will be irreplaceable talents in the next few years for deep playoff pushes. But they need playing time and they need time to grow. I didn't expect much from year one, but at least AB seems to be capable and another offseason of development for all of our under 24 players will be crucial. Though I do expect them to go kind of ham in obtaining shooters after watching this series though.

For the last time. They are a sunk cost. :lol:
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#1171 » by Last Guardian » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:51 pm

SOUL wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:I want Goga/Black AND for Paolo and Franz to stop playing like dog doo. Both things can be true. The fan complaints are pretty legit.

It reeks of "my guys haven't had a chance to suck in this setting, so until they do, it's the reason we lose" when in all actuality, we may suck just as much if Franz/Paolo/our top 8 rotation guys **** the bed shooting, rebounding, etc.

AB and Goga can go 0-10 or 10-10 and if those guys suck, the outcome is the same.

At the end of the day yes you are right, if Paolo and Franz can't score efficiently we are just not good enough.

Listen though I never pushed for Goga/Black during the regular season. I mostly thought the win streak was just that...a streak and not really a true representation of the quality of the team. But like everyone I enjoyed it while it lasted. I even was critical of any impact AB might have during that streak because he really didn't do all that much other than defend.

I also was a Fultz fan last season. We could all debate what his actual impact was but he had decent numbers. He made sure Paolo and Franz got the ball and added 14ppg/6apg himself. He may not have been a volume shooter, but he at least let it fly if he was wide open enough. He got to the basket regularly and finished at a high level.

As a guy who actively trades the futures market I'm used to reacting to new information. Fultz is very, very bad this season. I'm not big on excuses. Maybe its his knee or shoulder...regardless, he's bad. Doesn't want to shoot at all, stands in odd places on the court, defense fell off a cliff, no longer gets to the basket with ease, etc. Heck, he doesn't even have the ball in his hands anymore. Just bad overall. The AB talk is part developing him, but also simply a better option than Fultz. Better defender and better shooter. Its a bit of a no brainer at this point to be playing AB.

As far as Goga...I mean he makes sense against this opponent. Its hardly about just play them for the hell of it. Just reacting the matchup and what they are doing to us. He's our best option against Allen, and I don't really think its very close.

IMO, if I was trying to win I'd go Suggs/Harris/Franz/Paolo/Goga with Cole/AB/Isaac/Moe off the bench. I don't think there is any lineup that will do well offensively against their defense. Our best bet is to try to keep them off the boards and bring them down to the 80's with us.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#1172 » by JF5 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We have a better offensive rating with Goga than Wendell.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

LMAO... I want to give you a stat...

The Magic are 17-16 with Bitadze starting... I guess you can easily see the record they have with Wendell Starting given they've finished 12 games over 500. :roll:

But you conveniently leave that out...
Wendell has played in 57 games this season, and we're 30-27 in those games. We'll never be more than a mediocre team with him. We looked like a much better team with Goga starting, and we had no other injuries, but Markelle and Wendell. We are like 3-15 against 500 teams in the last 18. Wendell started through the easiest part of the season, and we were barely beating a lot of bad teams.

Wow, this absolutely absurd :lol: ... You're really shifting the narrative to the point that it's ridiculous to "games played" rather than started which was my original point which you purposely avoided.

The Magic are 28-20 with Wendell starting.

I can easily say that outside of that 9 game winning streak the Magic with Goga starting is 9-16. And specifically after the 9 game winning streak theyre 6-13 with him starting The mental gymnastics you guys go through to prove a point which shows the obvious is hilarious. :lol:

Also after the win streak with him starting against good teams over 500... They're 3-10... (I would preface this that they were hurt during some of this this time but still not good nonetheless).

Then to give him more benefit of the doubt where they were relatively healthy with the same starters against good teams over 500. after the streak they were 2-5 up until that Sacramento game where Franz got hurt (which I'm not counting here).

Problem here is you just focus on the win streak without the totality not realizing they weren't really winning under normal circumstances with Goga.
The-Stallion70
Rookie

Post#1173 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:56 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:I want Goga/Black AND for Paolo and Franz to stop playing like dog doo. Both things can be true. The fan complaints are pretty legit.

It reeks of "my guys haven't had a chance to suck in this setting, so until they do, it's the reason we lose" when in all actuality, we may suck just as much if Franz/Paolo/our top 8 rotation guys **** the bed shooting, rebounding, etc.

AB and Goga can go 0-10 or 10-10 and if those guys suck, the outcome is the same.

At the end of the day yes you are right, if Paolo and Franz can't score efficiently we are just not good enough.

Listen though I never pushed for Goga/Black during the regular season. I mostly thought the win streak was just that...a streak and not really a true representation of the quality of the team. But like everyone I enjoyed it while it lasted. I even was critical of any impact AB might have during that streak because he really didn't do all that much other than defend.

I also was a Fultz fan last season. We could all debate what his actual impact was but he had decent numbers. He made sure Paolo and Franz got the ball and added 14ppg/6apg himself. He may not have been a volume shooter, but he at least let it fly if he was wide open enough. He got to the basket regularly and finished at a high level.

As a guy who actively trades the futures market I'm used to reacting to new information. Fultz is very, very bad this season. I'm not big on excuses. Maybe its his knee or shoulder...regardless, he's bad. Doesn't want to shoot at all, stands in odd places on the court, defense fell off a cliff, no longer gets to the basket with ease, etc. Heck, he doesn't even have the ball in his hands anymore. Just bad overall. The AB talk is part developing him, but also simply a better option than Fultz. Better defender and better shooter. Its a bit of a no brainer at this point to be playing AB.

As far as Goga...I mean he makes sense against this opponent. Its hardly about just play them for the hell of it. Just reacting the matchup and what they are doing to us. He's our best option against Allen, and I don't really think its very close.

IMO, if I was trying to win I'd go Suggs/Harris/Franz/Paolo/Goga with Cole/AB/Isaac/Moe off the bench. I don't think there is any lineup that will do well offensively against their defense. Our best bet is to try to keep them off the boards and bring them down to the 80's with us.

I doubt Goga will help that much against Jarrett Allen, Allen is an all star. With that said Isaac shouldn't be surprised if he loses minutes or his starting job after his 3 and 4 performance. This is go time and Mose should micromanage things if he feels the need to.

This team has like four all stars in total. Garland, Mobley and Mitchell missed 84 games combined between the three of them and they still won one more game than we did. Between Allen, Mobley and Niang they have three really good defenders against Paolo, something that the Knicks or Pacers wouldn't have.

I personally didn't want this matchup.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#1174 » by Last Guardian » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
SOUL wrote:

I doubt Goga will help that much against Jarrett Allen, Allen is an all star. With that said Isaac shouldn't be surprised if he loses minutes or his starting job after his 3 and 4 performance. This is go time and Mose should micromanage things if he feels the need to.

This team has like four all stars in total. Garland, Mobley and Mitchell missed 84 games combined between the three of them and they still won one more game than we did. Between Allen, Mobley and Niang they have three really good defenders against Paolo, something that the Knicks or Pacers wouldn't have.

We can only react to the information we have.

Allen and Goga started against each other twice. Allen had 8/11 and 4pts/7rbds in those games. Not sure why he only played 15 minutes the second game.

Allen and WCJ started against each other twice. Allen had 18/10 and 14/11.

Allen and JI are now facing. Allen had 16/18 and 16/20.

He's a great player but he literally does two things. Dunk/layup and rebound. Goga won't stop him but he's the best option. You are right it is a bad matchup but we kind of have to try to limit them as best we can.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,785

Post#1175 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:18 am

Last Guardian wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:

We can only react to the information we have.

Allen and Goga started against each other twice. Allen had 8/11 and 4pts/7rbds in those games. Not sure why he only played 15 minutes the second game.

Allen and WCJ started against each other twice. Allen had 18/10 and 14/11.

Allen and JI are now facing. Allen had 16/18 and 16/20.

He's a great player but he literally does two things. Dunk/layup and rebound. Goga won't stop him but he's the best option. You are right it is a bad matchup but we kind of have to try to limit them as best we can.
Goga is a better option against every center in the east playoffs except Bam and Embiid. Goga outplayed Turner, Hartenstein, and was neutral with Allen.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1176 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 am

JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:
LMAO... I want to give you a stat...

The Magic are 17-16 with Bitadze starting... I guess you can easily see the record they have with Wendell Starting given they've finished 12 games over 500. :roll:

But you conveniently leave that out...
Wendell has played in 57 games this season, and we're 30-27 in those games. We'll never be more than a mediocre team with him. We looked like a much better team with Goga starting, and we had no other injuries, but Markelle and Wendell. We are like 3-15 against 500 teams in the last 18. Wendell started through the easiest part of the season, and we were barely beating a lot of bad teams.

Wow, this absolutely absurd ... You're really shifting the narrative to the point that it's ridiculous to "games played" rather than started which was my original point which you purposely avoided.

I can easily say that outside of that 9 game winning streak the Magic with Goga starting is 9-16. And specifically after the 9 game winning streak theyre 6-13 with him starting The mental gymnastics you guys go through to prove a point which shows the obvious is hilarious.

Also after the win streak with him starting against good teams over 500... They're 3-10... (I would preface this that they were hurt during some of this this time but still not good nonetheless).

Then to give him more benefit of the doubt where they were relatively healthy with the same starters against good teams over 500. after the streak they were 2-5 up until that Sacramento game where Franz got hurt (which I'm not counting here).

Problem here is you just focus on the win streak without the totality not realizing they weren't really winning under normal circumstances with Goga.
They were without Franz and Isaac for several of the games Goga started against teams over 500. They had a really tough stretch, and Franz and Isaac were out of all of them. That was the toughest stretch of the season.

JF5
RealGM

Post#1177 » by JF5 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:13 am

basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Wendell has played in 57 games this season, and we're 30-27 in those games. We'll never be more than a mediocre team with him. We looked like a much better team with Goga starting, and we had no other injuries, but Markelle and Wendell. We are like 3-15 against 500 teams in the last 18. Wendell started through the easiest part of the season, and we were barely beating a lot of bad teams.

Wow, this absolutely absurd ... You're really shifting the narrative to the point that it's ridiculous to "games played" rather than started which was my original point which you purposely avoided.

I can easily say that outside of that 9 game winning streak the Magic with Goga starting is 9-16. And specifically after the 9 game winning streak theyre 6-13 with him starting The mental gymnastics you guys go through to prove a point which shows the obvious is hilarious.

They were without Franz and Isaac for several of the games Goga started against teams over 500. They had a really tough stretch, and Franz and Isaac were out of all of them. That was the toughest stretch of the season.

Dude, you just said that the Magic play better against good teams/500. teams with Goga starting.

I give you a favorable situation up until Franz's injury specifically looking at the month of December. Where they were 2-5 against teams who eventually ended up 500. Contradicting that point.

Now you're saying it's because Issac wasn't playing which is what affected the Magic. Though they got Wendell coming back at that time playing off the bench.

The issue with this situation is you're essentially saying Goga needs the perfect/elite bench to start (which is the big reason why the Magic were winning games in the first place).

You're consistently moving the goal post to make Bitadze look as good as possible.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1178 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 am

JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:

Dude, you just said that the Magic play better against good teams/500. teams with Goga starting.

I give you a favorable situation up until Franz's injury specifically looking at the month of December. Where they were 2-5 against teams who eventually ended up 500. Contradicting that point.

Now you're saying it's because Issac wasn't playing which is what affected the Magic. Though they got Wendell coming back at that time playing off the bench.

The issue with this situation is you're essentially saying Goga needs the perfect/elite bench to start (which is the big reason why the Magic were winning games in the first place).

You're consistently moving the goal post to make Bitadze look as good as possible.
Yeah, I'm saying that without Isaac and Franz, we aren't going to beat very many good teams. Look at like the last 15 games or so against 500 teams and a perfect bench.

JF5
RealGM

Post#1179 » by JF5 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 am

basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:They were without Franz and Isaac for several of the games Goga started against teams over 500. They had a really tough stretch, and Franz and Isaac were out of all of them. That was the toughest stretch of the season.

Yeah, I'm saying that without Isaac and Franz, we aren't going to beat very many good teams. Look at like the last 15 games or so against 500 teams and a perfect bench.

The example I was referencing when they went 2-5 against good teams in December Franz was playing in the those games.

Issac didn't play, but he was swapped out for Wendell Carter who played well off the bench during that time.

Again, though Issac is good... He was on minutes restriction around 15 minutes a game and not playing back-to-backs and being limited in certain games. So what you're saying seems like a bunch of excuses.

The Magic weren't that good with Goga starting and the record post win streak indicates that.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1180 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 pm

JF5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JF5 wrote:

The example I was referencing when they went 2-5 against good teams in December Franz was playing in the those games.

Issac didn't play, but he was swapped out for Wendell Carter who played well off the bench during that time.

Again, though Issac is good... He was on minutes restriction around 15 minutes a game and not playing back-to-backs and being limited in certain games. So what you're saying seems like a bunch of excuses.

The Magic weren't that good with Goga starting and the record post win streak indicates that.
They played a tough schedule without key bench players, and with Wendell, we would've been worse. Wendell is the perfect trade piece this summer.

Return to Orlando Magic