ImageImageImageImage

17-72 from three in 2 playoff games

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Re: 17-72 from three in 2 playoff games 

Post#21 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:24 pm

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:The bigger issue with Orlando's shooting, and offense, is how it is being run in the half court. There is little to no shot creation with our playmakers. Paolo and Franz look to score primarily in isolation at the rim. They drafted Houstan and Howard with recent picks searching for shooters.

Dirty secret is that until Franz and Paolo diversify their offense, it will continue to be like this. You're right in that individual sets and plays can be tweaked to have more looks and wrinkles to throw at teams, but it's not addressing how these guys default to score because it feels the best to them. Franz loves the mismatch drives from switches in iso and his other skill is backdoor cutting. Paolo loves the mid-range and working from the elbow. Paolo isn't an instinctual cutter when someone else has the ball and he finishes weak. Franz has no desire to implement a mid-range game, and both of them do not feel comfortable stepping into open threes and pump-fake themselves all the time.

Their shot preferences are an issue.

Compound that with the fact that when they get to their spots, and we work the offense through them, the other team (who I think you need to give more credit to when discussing our offense) are wisely not going to play anybody else on our team super tight, because we can't even hit open shots at league average, so they'll just send doubles or stymie Franz drives at the right time and nobody can punish them for it.

You dislike when Paolo/Franz initiate the offense, but it's one of the few ways anybody else can get involved when Paolo/Franz are getting ignored off-ball outside of Franz cutting. It's a double-edged sword because on some plays it can get other people involved more easily, but when the other team doesn't bite, it ends in just an iso play. Nobody on our team has enough wiggle to create their own shots consistently outside of Cole (who is hot and cold), sometimes Suggs, and maybe Jett next year.

We're not going to run our shooters off of screens like JJ Redick or Ray Allen or Klay Thompson. Those are elite movement shooters and they've been doing it since college. That isn't something Gary Harris has ever shown to be good at, Houstan tries it but doesn't hit many of those, Ingles can't do that. Terrence Ross was great at it because he was a contested shot maker with a high release. Also hearing JJ Redick talk about it in his podcast with LeBron, teams just aren't really running these plays much at all anymore since defensive coverages have changed.

There's just tons of issues when you don't have proper offensive guards on the team and bigs that have selective strengths like ours do.

Phoenix has the best three point shooter in the league in Grayson Allen, as well as Beal, Durant and Booker, who are all better three level scorers than both Franz and Paolo, and even their offense gets bogged down from way too many iso plays because they're all still most comfortable playing that way. It's just who they are.

There's just an extremely limited ceiling of what we're able to do when you consider player tendencies and personnel. I think you can attribute a percentage to lack of creativity on the coaching staff, but I would assume that every team communicates to their staff where they feel most comfortable on the floor and what plays the team feels comfortable running.

The focus this offseason needs to be pushing up that ceiling. Eking out a flawed roster isn't good enough because it's not sustainable. There will never be enough "easy" offense unless it's a dunk, because setting up guys for open shots on more "creative" and them missing is just as bad as it coming off of broken plays/sloppy actions that still end up in open misses.

I basically agree with all of this.

This is why I do NOT for the life of me understand posters continually claiming that 1 elite volume shooter running off screens is what solves the entirety of this offense as it stands currently. It's just nonsense. It helps one dimension and makes defenses focus on 1 guy. Cool I guess.. Not really worth an enormous contract when the larger issue persists. The team isn't constructed to operate otherwise.

The obvious solution is for Franz and Paolo to become better shooters off a pass or in PnR set plays. This is only accomplished with a very good point guard that can speed up the offense to a point that neither Franz or Paolo are letting defenses adjust to load up against them.

That is the ONLY solution..outside of Paolo and Franz working their way to become ++ shooters from 3, which is just a far less likely outcome in a short timeframe.

The FO needs to build around what makes them effective, which is basically drawing mismatches toward the rim in isolation... OK if thats the case, then they need to find a guy that gets them into those situations more frequently without them having to initiate impossible shots while fighting against set defenses and the shot clock. Also, that guy has to be able to draw defenses out on him as a shooter. We can say "everyone needs to be better shooters". Im sure every team would want that though.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,252

Post#22 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:We know the problem but I felt that this volume of attempts was staggering enough to start a thread.

The lack of shooting on the roster is something that us fans have been harping on all year and now only has it persisted in the playoffs but it has been magnified now when it matters most.

Most of us were shocked when we didn't make any changes at the trade deadline.

Changes need to be made.

Well it’s not going to change this series. We’re easy to defend. Just load up on PB and Franz and watch the other guys chuck bricks.

Way to miss the point,

It is basically a forgone conclusion that the Magic will not win the series.

We don't match up well with them and the fact Garland, Mitchell and Mobley each missed time and then came back indicates that they are fresh.

The Knicks, Pacers and Sixers don't have great defenders to put on Paolo like Cleveland does. We match up better with them.

There’s no need to be passive aggressive. Calm the **** down.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,559

Post#23 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

MagicMatic wrote:I basically agree with all of this.

This is why I do NOT for the life of me understand posters continually claiming that 1 elite volume shooter running off screens is what solves the entirety of this offense as it stands currently. It's just nonsense. It helps one dimension and makes defenses focus on 1 guy. Cool I guess.. Not really worth an enormous contract when the larger issue persists. The team isn't constructed to operate otherwise.

The obvious solution is for Franz and Paolo to become better shooters off a pass or in PnR set plays. This is only accomplished with a very good point guard that can speed up the offense to a point that neither Franz or Paolo are letting defenses adjust to load up against them.

That is the ONLY solution..outside of Paolo and Franz working their way to become ++ shooters from 3, which is just a far less likely outcome in a short timeframe.

The FO needs to build around what makes them effective, which is basically drawing mismatches toward the rim in isolation... OK if thats the case, then they need to find a guy that gets them into those situations more frequently without them having to initiate impossible shots while fighting against set defenses and the shot clock. Also, that guy has to be able to draw defenses out on him as a shooter. We can say "everyone needs to be better shooters". Im sure every team would want that though.

Point guard/lead guard/guard who can actually make something happen off the dribble is unquestionably the biggest need for this team and it's not particularly close.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#24 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am

Knightro wrote:Point guard/lead guard/guard who can actually make something happen off the dribble is unquestionably the biggest need for this team and it's not particularly close.

Are we in agreement that Black will NEVER be that guy?
(( which by the way means he will be a career bench player on this team; great "value for the #6 pick ))

I ask only in that it is very clear that the FA and the trade market will be the focus of management this off-season.

To improve both the PG and SG cores, I'd be ok wih letting Fultz and G-Harris walk, and trade Black and Houstan. The three new Magicians all need to be >37% threeball shooters, and sure, one can be an ace ball handler on a 25-35M contact.

The Magic becomes something like:

ace-PG/Anthony/someVet
Suggs/someVet/Howard

That sort of guard rotation in some form would cetainly be better than the mess we see now. For me, that sort of roster would prosper from a 42% three-ball shooter in the primary backupSG slot.

Obviously this is not the way I would go, I'd shift Suggs to PG and bring in a Simons, DiVincenzo, Bogdanović, or Kennard as the new starting SG.

One thing I think we agree on strongly: whoever plays next to Suggs needs to be a very, very good shooter from distance, considering both the percentage and the volume.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#25 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 am

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:Point guard/lead guard/guard who can actually make something happen off the dribble is unquestionably the biggest need for this team and it's not particularly close.

(( which by the way means he will be a career bench player on this team; great "value for the #6 pick ))

I ask only in that it is very clear that the FA and the trade market will be the focus of management this off-season.

To improve both the PG and SG cores, I'd be ok wih letting Fultz and G-Harris walk, and trade Black and Houstan. The three new Magicians all need to be >37% threeball shooters, and sure, one can be an ace ball handler on a 25-35M contact.

ace-PG/Anthony/someVet
Suggs/someVet/Howard

That sort of guard rotation in some form would cetainly be better than the mess we see now. For me, that sort of roster would prosper from a 42% three-ball shooter in the primary backupSG slot.

Obviously this is not the way I would go, I'd shift Suggs to PG and bring in a Simons, DiVincenzo, Bogdanović, or Kennard as the new starting SG.

One thing I think we agree on strongly: whoever plays next to Suggs needs to be a very, very good shooter from distance, considering both the percentage and the volume.

Black is barely 20 years old, so I don't want to put any sort of ceiling on what he can or can't become.

That said...

I don't anticipate him being a high volume offensive player down the road. He wasn't one in high school. He wasn't one in college. He doesn't seem likely he's going to become one in the pros.

Doesn't mean he can't still be very valuable in a variety of ways.

As far as Suggs at PG, I just don't see it. The ball handling piece just isn't there. He doesn't have the tempo or pace for it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#26 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 am

Knightro wrote:I don't anticipate him being a high volume offensive player down the road. He wasn't one in high school. He wasn't one in college. He doesn't seem likely he's going to become one in the pros.

Yes or no: do you think the Magic will have a Suggs / Black backcourt starting for the next several years to come?

If no, then please defend why keeping Black as a bench player is good asset management.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#27 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:I don't anticipate him being a high volume offensive player down the road. He wasn't one in high school. He wasn't one in college. He doesn't seem likely he's going to become one in the pros.

Yes or no: do you think the Magic will have a Suggs / Black backcourt starting for the next several years to come?

If no, then please defend why keeping Black as a bench player is good asset management.

Maybe? I don't know where Black is going to end up because he's still so young. His career trajectory could go anywhere.

I do feel pretty good about Suggs as a starting SG.

The thing is though... there's 96 minutes available overall in an NBA backcourt in every single game. Even if the Magic go out and get a high end starting guard via trade or in free agency, Black will still be able to see consistent minutes over the life of his rookie contract beause there's plenty of minutes to be had.

The only time "asset management" comes into play with a lotto pick being blocked IMO is in a Vucevic/Bamba situation where those two guys were simply not ever going to be able to share the floor with each other. Thus the moment the Magic decided to move forward with Vucevic's 4 year, 100M deal is also the moment they should have immediately pivoted and traded Bamba away to best manage that asset.

Black can play next to a guard the Magic acquire, he can play next to Suggs, he can play next to whoever. I'm not super concerned about him being a starter if there are better guys in front of him because there's ample opportunity to get him out there.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#28 » by MagicMatic » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 am

drsd wrote:

ace-PG/Anthony/someVet
Suggs/someVet/Howard

The jury is out on Anthony Black. Moving him or claiming "he's not that guy" isn't really helping anything. He was the pick and he's on the roster, then so be it. He's versatile enough to fill a roster and worthy of investment. However, he is not who should be running the show right this minute.

The bolded portion of what you wrote isn't a good decision and kind of the crux of my issue with simplifying the offense issues to "Magic need shooter". No... The Magic need a guy to RUN the offense. That isn't Suggs and it isn't Simons, DiVincenzo, Bogs, Kennard. etc.

Why? Because the problem isn't that Paolo and Franz are missing the option of passing to a volume shooter while they run off screens. The problem is that Franz and Paolo aren't Point Forwards capable of running the offense at the point of attack, while also wanting to be high usage primary/secondary scoring options. I've now watched enough of their game to know that to be true. Everyone has.

Thats not to say they wont increase their shooting numbers or their scoring efficiency etc. but no, they are not both 6'10 Magic Johnson characters. They require a real point guard to put them in positions to score more effectively. Its the most painfully obvious thing to notice after these last few months. You want the whole team to be shooting better in a moving dynamic offense and not from 1 source you decided to overpay for lack thereof.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,506

Post#29 » by Bensational » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 am

SOUL wrote:Dirty secret is that until Franz and Paolo diversify their offense, it will continue to be like this. You're right in that individual sets and plays can be tweaked to have more looks and wrinkles to throw at teams, but it's not addressing how these guys default to score because it feels the best to them. Franz loves the mismatch drives from switches in iso and his other skill is backdoor cutting. Paolo loves the mid-range and working from the elbow. Paolo isn't an instinctual cutter when someone else has the ball and he finishes weak. Franz has no desire to implement a mid-range game, and both of them do not feel comfortable stepping into open threes and pump-fake themselves all the time.

Their shot preferences are an issue.

Compound that with the fact that when they get to their spots, and we work the offense through them, the other team (who I think you need to give more credit to when discussing our offense) are wisely not going to play anybody else on our team super tight, because we can't even hit open shots at league average, so they'll just send doubles or stymie Franz drives at the right time and nobody can punish them for it.

You dislike when Paolo/Franz initiate the offense, but it's one of the few ways anybody else can get involved when Paolo/Franz are getting ignored off-ball outside of Franz cutting. It's a double-edged sword because on some plays it can get other people involved more easily, but when the other team doesn't bite, it ends in just an iso play. Nobody on our team has enough wiggle to create their own shots consistently outside of Cole (who is hot and cold), sometimes Suggs, and maybe Jett next year.

We're not going to run our shooters off of screens like JJ Redick or Ray Allen or Klay Thompson. Those are elite movement shooters and they've been doing it since college. That isn't something Gary Harris has ever shown to be good at, Houstan tries it but doesn't hit many of those, Ingles can't do that. Terrence Ross was great at it because he was a contested shot maker with a high release. Also hearing JJ Redick talk about it in his podcast with LeBron, teams just aren't really running these plays much at all anymore since defensive coverages have changed.

There's just tons of issues when you don't have proper offensive guards on the team and bigs that have selective strengths like ours do.

Phoenix has the best three point shooter in the league in Grayson Allen, as well as Beal, Durant and Booker, who are all better three level scorers than both Franz and Paolo, and even their offense gets bogged down from way too many iso plays because they're all still most comfortable playing that way. It's just who they are.

There's just an extremely limited ceiling of what we're able to do when you consider player tendencies and personnel. I think you can attribute a percentage to lack of creativity on the coaching staff, but I would assume that every team communicates to their staff where they feel most comfortable on the floor and what plays the team feels comfortable running.

The focus this offseason needs to be pushing up that ceiling. Eking out a flawed roster isn't good enough because it's not sustainable. There will never be enough "easy" offense unless it's a dunk, because setting up guys for open shots on more "creative" and them missing is just as bad as it coming off of broken plays/sloppy actions that still end up in open misses.

This is a really great write up.

Personally, I’m expecting the team to continue with a Paolo + Franz lead offense for the short term. Seeing how Paolo and Franz respond over the summer and how much they’re able to expand their game from this season to next as playmakers will be the next phase of ‘evaluation’. Yes, we’re seeing some signs of hitting ceilings and limited capacity, but we’ve got to give them time to adapt and respond. How much more can they add to their bag?

I do actually think Paolo could get a lot more from his passes to the corner if he had some guaranteed snipers down there waiting instead of our roster of pump fakers. The most potent this offense has looked was when Suggs, Houstan and Okeke went ham from deep against the Kings and Nuggets. Reliable shooters will make what’s working work a lot better. And with the right C we can get more out of lobs and the dunker’s spot, too.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,822

Post#30 » by SOUL » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:19 am

Bensational wrote:The most potent this offense has looked was when Suggs, Houstan and Okeke went ham from deep against the Kings and Nuggets. Reliable shooters will make what’s working work a lot better. And with the right C we can get more out of lobs and the dunker’s spot, too.

Very true. Pace was up with that too, but defense didn't look anything close to solid at all with the personnel obviously. But there should be a middle ground with better players. OKC are showing you can have a really good defense while also shooting very high percentages. I think they shot something crazy like 39% as a team from three.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 406

Post#31 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:22 pm

Our offense is not good but against this team it will look even worse because they have Mobley, Allen and Nieng who can each defend Paolo without having to double team.

If we played Sixers, Paolo is defended by Tobias Harris

If we played Knicks, Paolo is defended by Anunoby

If we played Pacers, Paolo is defended by Siakam or Toppin. Siakam is more of an offensive player now.

All of these matchups are preferable to Mobley, Allen and Nieng.

We don't match up well with them.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#32 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like our internal development team should know this but maybe print it out and see if we can't give it to commentary team tonight :lol: :lol:
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm

Skybox wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
This is the kind of stuff that boggles my mind. I mean I get it, it's two games so it could be a bad trend at the wrong time in terms of missing wide open 3s. But I'm pretty sure we saw stats that said we were among the league's worst in missing wide open 3s for the entire season. To me that's a mental thing, and a uniquely shared mental thing within the team.

How do you fix that?

The only way I can see is you bring in guys who are more consistent and less streaky. All of our guys are OK shooters overall, but they're all streaky. And streaky players tend to feed off energy and other players' performance. If we start the game and hit our first few 3s, they'll probably have a really good night shooting. If they miss a ton, we're going to have a bad night (which is why I was on the verge of blacking out when they started Game 2 jacking up 3s left and right and missing - badly).

Yep, the Magic were 7th worst in the league (worst among playoffs teams) in wide open 3s for the season, at 37.8% 3P%. (Just ahead of the Bulls, Jazz, Spurs, Grizz, Blazers, and Pistons)

Generating so many open 3's is a very promising thing to see. I think Paolo & Franz could become a deadly duo when ORL adds guys that knock them down reliably. I'm not piling on Paolo for his recent difficulties...it's hard to succeed in your first playoff series with an entire offense on your shoulders. Get the man some help.

Are we really generating that many open 3's or does Cleveland know pack the paint and don't give up easy buckets. It's probably somewhere in the middle for sure
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Knightro wrote:

Point guard/lead guard/guard who can actually make something happen off the dribble is unquestionably the biggest need for this team and it's not particularly close.

would've been nice to see what Tyus Jones could've done post ASB in Orlando. Would love to know if they even had conversations for him and what the breakdown was.

Back on topic this is exactly the MAIN issue that needs to be fixed this summer, anything else is putting lipstick on a pig.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#35 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:47 pm

AB + Suggs are our starting backcourt by the end of next season. Book it.

Black + Suggs will peak at around 16ppg each season after next. Paolo 25ppg Franz 18-23ppg on super high efficiency.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,667

Post#36 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Skybox wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:

Yep, the Magic were 7th worst in the league (worst among playoffs teams) in wide open 3s for the season, at 37.8% 3P%. (Just ahead of the Bulls, Jazz, Spurs, Grizz, Blazers, and Pistons)

Generating so many open 3's is a very promising thing to see. I think Paolo & Franz could become a deadly duo when ORL adds guys that knock them down reliably. I'm not piling on Paolo for his recent difficulties...it's hard to succeed in your first playoff series with an entire offense on your shoulders. Get the man some help.

Are we really generating that many open 3's or does Cleveland know pack the paint and don't give up easy buckets. It's probably somewhere in the middle for sure

Paolo and Franz are causing them to pack the paint...luckily for CLE, they're built for that. Not sure how anyone saw them as a positive matchup for us...then you add Donovan Mitchell to the math. :roll:
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Post#37 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm

Skybox wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Paolo and Franz are causing them to pack the paint...luckily for CLE, they're built for that. Not sure how anyone saw them as a positive matchup for us...then you add Donovan Mitchell to the math. :roll:

To be fair, if we make our wide open 3s at regular season average. Not even open average, we are ahead in this series.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#38 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:

would've been nice to see what Tyus Jones could've done post ASB in Orlando. Would love to know if they even had conversations for him and what the breakdown was.
\

I never saw him as a long-term solution or needle-mover, but it definitely would have been interesting to test the effect of a super-efficient table setter.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#39 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:AB + Suggs are our starting backcourt by the end of next season. Book it.

Black + Suggs will peak at around 16ppg each season after next. Paolo 25ppg Franz 18-23ppg on super high efficiency.

While you're booking that...book your tickets to the play-in.

I hope you're right about the second statement...but I can't see Black at 16 ppg NEXT season no matter how hard I squint. Maybe he takes a leap with more playing time, but I'd be thrilled to see 10-12 out of him, with efficiency and defense. I do think 32ppg between them is a good number to shoot for...But I think a more likely way to accomplish it is...Simons or Murray for 18 and 14 from Suggs.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 190

Post#40 » by CarraT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:AB + Suggs are our starting backcourt by the end of next season. Book it.

AB didn’t even averaged 16ppg in High School as a senior. He’s shown nothing that make you even believe he can do that in NBA.
Paolo and Franz will never score super efficient if we stick to a backcourt with streaky shooting and little playmaking. We need a balanced roster, and that’s never gonna happen with AB, Suggs, Paolo and Franz on the court at the same time. This is so obvious, why are we even discussing it? Is AB the new Fultz that some people here just keep on praising that he will be All star next season? Damn, I thought we are over that.

Return to Orlando Magic