ImageImageImageImage

17-72 from three in 2 playoff games

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Re: 17-72 from three in 2 playoff games 

Post#41 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:AB + Suggs are our starting backcourt by the end of next season. Book it.

Black + Suggs will peak at around 16ppg each season after next. Paolo 25ppg Franz 18-23ppg on super high efficiency.

While you're booking that...book your tickets to the play-in.

I hope you're right about the second statement...but I can't see Black at 16 ppg NEXT season no matter how hard I squint. Maybe he takes a leap with more playing time, but I'd be thrilled to see 10-12 out of him, with efficiency and defense. I do think 32ppg between them is a good number to shoot for...But I think a more likely way to accomplish it is...Simons or Murray for 18 and 14 from Suggs.

I expect us to be a play-in team next year unless we see a huge leap from Paolo + Franz. They are young enough where it is possible.

In the meantime as we have discussed you still need 5 players who are at least average for their position and right now several people are failing that test.

I am just looking at the telegraph from Orlando's leadership and saying. "double down", I think they promote Black, and resign Harris, Black vs Harris will continue until about the end of next season where Harris has an injury and we go on a winning streak trouncing < .500 teams.

Black will then get a taste and go back to the drawing board an fulfill his role as an prime Iggy type who plays yet another version of point forward.

Suggs + Black backcourt will mean more energy can be spent on offense as they both in tandem will be one of the best defensive backcourts in the league.

Or I could be wrong, gez Skybox this is a hobby.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#42 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 pm

CarraT wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:AB + Suggs are our starting backcourt by the end of next season. Book it.

Black + Suggs will peak at around 16ppg each season after next. Paolo 25ppg Franz 18-23ppg on super high efficiency.

AB didn’t even averaged 16ppg in High School as a senior. He’s shown nothing that make you even believe he can do that in NBA.
Paolo and Franz will never score super efficient if we stick to a backcourt with streaky shooting and little playmaking. We need a balanced roster, and that’s never gonna happen with AB, Suggs, Paolo and Franz on the court at the same time. This is so obvious, why are we even discussing it? Is AB the new Fultz that some people here just keep on praising that he will be All star next season? Damn, I thought we are over that.

Wow someone thinks he can be an all-star next year? That's incredible.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,568

Post#43 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:I expect us to be a play-in team next year unless we see a huge leap from Paolo + Franz. They are young enough where it is possible.

In the meantime as we have discussed you still need 5 players who are at least average for their position and right now several people are failing that test.

I am just looking at the telegraph from Orlando's leadership and saying. "double down", I think they promote Black, and resign Harris, Black vs Harris will continue until about the end of next season where Harris has an injury and we go on a winning streak trouncing < .500 teams.

Black will then get a taste and go back to the drawing board an fulfill his role as an prime Iggy type who plays yet another version of point forward.

Suggs + Black backcourt will mean more energy can be spent on offense as they both in tandem will be one of the best defensive backcourts in the league.

I definitely expect the Magic to be a 7-10 seed if they choose to just run it back with mostly the same group of players.

If they make the right additions, specifically in the backcourt, they can be above the play in again.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#44 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm

CarraT wrote:

AB didn’t even averaged 16ppg in High School as a senior. He’s shown nothing that make you even believe he can do that in NBA.
Paolo and Franz will never score super efficient if we stick to a backcourt with streaky shooting and little playmaking. We need a balanced roster, and that’s never gonna happen with AB, Suggs, Paolo and Franz on the court at the same time. This is so obvious, why are we even discussing it? Is AB the new Fultz that some people here just keep on praising that he will be All star next season? Damn, I thought we are over that.
He averaged 20 ppg when he won the Eybl MVP.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#45 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:He averaged 20 ppg when he won the Eybl MVP.

You have repeated this multiple times now and it's just not accurate.

Anthony Black did not win EYBL MVP. That never happened.

You pulled the information from a website where a person who watched one of the five sessions that EYBL season suggested that in his opinion Anthony Black was the best player in that specific session.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#46 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 pm

Knightro wrote:

You pulled the information from a website where a person who watched one of the five sessions that EYBL season suggested that in his opinion Anthony Black was the best player in that specific session.
Read on Twitter
?t=AdJYWO1TkiXC2l2lABgYPw&s=19

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#47 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 pm

Bradley Beal Elite had Nick Smith and Brandon Miller that year that Black won the MVP.

JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#48 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

Knightro wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:I expect us to be a play-in team next year unless we see a huge leap from Paolo + Franz. They are young enough where it is possible.

I definitely expect the Magic to be a 7-10 seed if they choose to just run it back with mostly the same group of players.

If they make the right additions, specifically in the backcourt, they can be above the play in again.

That's the thing right?

We are trying to figure out where we become higher then playin. Is that this team? Are there key core pieces on the team that means that's this team?

I can totally see the "lets go organic", "double down" mantra of the management on this team saying they are going to put the weight on several rookies to see where it goes.

I can't explain why.

Meanwhile, we debate whether a Monk type player that we do a small overpay on will be the key to at least playoff success. Yet I have to wonder, is playoffs the goal. Gosh I wish we spent the money on FVV when we had a good chance too.

In the meantime, I will be over here enjoying the remainder of the playoffs while clutching my pearls to see if Fultz gets resigned in the offseason.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#49 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:37 pm

To be honest, low key the biggest disappointment this season has been Cole Anthony. I thought he would explode in a 6-man bench role and he started off like a lightning rod and then disappeared.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 190

Post#50 » by CarraT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:
CarraT wrote:

He averaged 20 ppg when he won the Eybl MVP.

Lol, i had to google what that **** even is. You should update the Wikipedia article if AB was so good there, he is not even on the list of notable players, despite guys like Cheick Diallo and Harry Giles being on that list.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#51 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Read on Twitter

Rob...

That is not "the EYBL" man.

The EYBL is five sessions spread out across April/May/June/July which culminates in Peach Jam in Atlanta. That is where all the best prep players come together and play.

"The Circuit" is an aggregator that covers all levels of prep basketball, including but not limited to the EYBL. It is also, perhaps not coincidentally, based in Texas and primarily covers Texas prep basketball.

Essentially they named Anthony Black the MVP of Texas HS basketball in 2021. Which is a perfectly fine accomplishment, but that isn't what you've incorrectly described it as for the last year.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#52 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm

Skybox wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Point guard/lead guard/guard who can actually make something happen off the dribble is unquestionably the biggest need for this team and it's not particularly close.

would've been nice to see what Tyus Jones could've done post ASB in Orlando. Would love to know if they even had conversations for him and what the breakdown was.
\

I never saw him as a long-term solution or needle-mover, but it definitely would have been interesting to test the effect of a super-efficient table setter.

especially since it sounded like all they wanted was salary + 2nds... I have a hard time believing we couldn't have gotten a deal done and they didn't want to move Fultz for "family matters" BS.

oh well that is one of the many "What If's"
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#53 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Read on Twitter

Rob...

The EYBL is five sessions spread out across April/May/June/July which culminates in Peach Jam in Atlanta. That is where all the best prep players come together and play.

"The Circuit" is an aggregator that covers all levels of prep basketball, including but not limited to the EYBL. It is also, perhaps not coincidentally, based in Texas and primarily covers Texas prep basketball.

Essentially they named Anthony Black the MVP of Texas HS basketball in 2021. Which is a perfectly fine accomplishment, but that isn't what you've incorrectly described it as for the last year.
Oh, I know if we were able to open that article, it shows a bunch of EYBL players on the 1st and 2nd teams. Lively, Miller, and Smith were all on the list, and AB won the MVP.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#54 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Read on Twitter

Rob...

Black won the 6A MVP, which was separate from this MVP.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#55 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:

While you're booking that...book your tickets to the play-in.

I hope you're right about the second statement...but I can't see Black at 16 ppg NEXT season no matter how hard I squint. Maybe he takes a leap with more playing time, but I'd be thrilled to see 10-12 out of him, with efficiency and defense. I do think 32ppg between them is a good number to shoot for...But I think a more likely way to accomplish it is...Simons or Murray for 18 and 14 from Suggs.

I expect us to be a play-in team next year unless we see a huge leap from Paolo + Franz. They are young enough where it is possible.

LOL...I think about this a lot. It's more like a curse, or at least an addiction...It could legit be argued that you and I and others here have invested more hours in this than any single player or GM...ouch!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#56 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm

AB is a really intriguing player...but you can't just project "development" based on what we need. He may have a long career in the NBA...but he's not going to be a significant scorer and my guess is that he's not even going to be a real PG. Guys get better but it's more "refinement" of who they already are than some total makeover.

AG is a good comp...we wanted Paul George, that's not who he was, is, or ever shall be...DEN didn't "develop" him, they just used him the right way.

Don't get me wrong, I really like AB but simply deciding he's a starting NBA PG because that was his alleged position elsewhere doesn't add up based on what he's shown. He's a really cool hybrid type of player that probably belongs in a reserve role, bringing serious defensive energy and length as well as some opportunistic scoring and "Bonus" the ability to handle the ball and distribute a bit.

I like the Ingles comparison (with defense) a lot...High BBIQ (which isn't a certainty-its a hope), takes open 3's, makes good decisions, etc...but even that's a lot of projection. I'm down with AB but he's definitely available for the right add - that's different from "shopping him" or giving up on him or the ever-popular "hating him".

The fact that he rocked a HS tournament means nothing. My son shot over 50% from 3 at Lake Mary Prep but didn't get any NBA offers...and I could outjump his always-injured ass. :lol: Cole Anthony was the #1 guy in his class coming into UNC (I think)...etc etc. Means zip.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#57 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pm

basketballRob wrote:Black won the 6A MVP, which was separate from this MVP.

Rob just trust me on this. The MVP you're referring to is for "The Circuit Championship" which is not anywhere close to the level of the actual EYBL prep season.

Anthony Black was not ever the MVP of any EYBL event, which is the best of the best high school players.

Here are some of the other notable players that competed in "The Circuit Championship" that Black won MVP of in 2021.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Let's check out some of these names...

Keyonte George was a 5* prospect and went to Baylor and is now in the NBA. But the rest of them?

Tyler Andrews went to Kansas City
DJ Thomas went to McNeese State
Collin Chandler went to BYU
Willie Lightfoot went to Bowling Green
Dylan Jones went to Snow College
Arterio Morris went to Kansas, but was kicked off the team for rape allegations
Hansel Donato went to Austin Peay

Not exactly a murders row of elite talent.

Here's Adam Zagora, who is as plugged in as anybody on HS hoops with his own personal 2021 EYBL standouts.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/07/26/2021-all-peach-jam-teams/

***FIRST TEAM***
EMONI BATES, 6-9 Jr. F, Bates Fundamental
JALEN DUREN, 6-10 Jr. C, Team Final
DERECK LIVELY II, 7-1 Sr. C, Team Final
BRANDON MILLER, 6-7 Sr. Wing, Brad Beal Elite
OTEGA OWEH, 6-4 Sr. G, Team Final
NICK SMITH 6-4 Sr. CG, Brad Beal Elite

***SECOND TEAM***
DOMINICK BARLOW, 6-9 PF, NY Rens
COREY FLOYD JR., 6-4 Jr. PG, Team Final (UCONN)
FLETCHER LOYER, 6-3 Sr. SG, Indy Heat (PURDUE)
JUDAH MINTZ, 6-3 Sr. PG, Team Durant (PITT)
SHAEDON SHARPE, 6-4 Sr. SG, UPlay Canada
CASON WALLACE, 6-4 Sr. CG, ProSkills
TYRELL WARD, 6-7 Sr. SF, Boo Williams (XAVIER)

***THIRD TEAM***
ALEX KARABAN, 6-7 Sr. PF, Expressions
MACKENZIE MGBAKO, 6-7 Jr. SF, New Jersey Scholars
TY RODGERS, 6-7 Sr. SF, MeanStreets
SETH TRIMBLE, 6-3 Sr. PG, Phenom University (UNC)
D.J. WAGNER, 6-3 Jr. PG, New Jersey Scholars
CHANCE WESTRY, 6-6 Sr. SF, NY Rens
DARIQ WHITEHEAD, 6-6 Sr SF, Team Durant

It's interesting that the MVP of the entire event couldn't crack Zagora's top 18 players at the event. It's almost like he didn't win MVP of that event or something.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#58 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm

Like literally just google "Anthony Black EYBL MVP" or "Anthony Black Peach Jam MVP" and you know what you'll find? Literally nothing, because it didn't happen.

Jalen Duren was the 2021 Peach Jam MVP.

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/basketball/nike-peach-jam-standouts-jalen-duren-dariq-whitehead-dereck-lively

Here's another article... 12 players who turned heads at the 2021 Nike EYBL/Peach Jam.

Guess who isn't listed at all...
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#59 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:50 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

When three point shooting is more important than ever our FO rolled into the season with Fultz as our starting PG and doubled down with him again at the trade deadline :nonono:

They brought a fork to a gun fight
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,175

Post#60 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

When three point shooting is more important than ever our FO rolled into the season with Fultz as our starting PG and doubled down with him again at the trade deadline :nonono:

They brought a fork to a gun fight

On the bright side its easy to fix. Easier than getting two 6'10 versatile forwards.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic