ImageImageImageImage

ESPN: How tough love (and disrespect) fuels Paolo Banchero

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,153

ESPN: How tough love (and disrespect) fuels Paolo Banchero 

Post#1 » by Def Swami » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 pm

A really great Paolo Banchero profile. I believe your team takes on the persona of your best player, and your team ultimately goes as far as your best player. His game speaks for itself, but I've really appreciated his mental make up for his age. Great insight into what makes our best player tick. Excited to see where his future takes him and our team over the next several years.

I hope the Magic come back against the Cavs, but I really don't care if they don't. In the grand scheme of things, everything is about building around Banchero. What the front office does to put him in position to reach his potential and our team's is all that matters to me. We finally got one.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40019212/paolo-banchero-orlando-magic-nba-playoffs-2024

They loved how serious-minded Banchero came across, even as a 19-year-old entering the league. The Magic discovered the traits they sought in their next frontcourt superstar: poise, patience and an alpha doglike hunger to turn Orlando into a winner again. "He doesn't skip steps. He wants to be told the truth. As a trait, he's very hard on himself," says Jeff Weltman, the Magic's president of basketball operations. "He feels the weight of carrying his team and putting the team in a good position." And when things aren't going as planned? "Well, he's tough on himself," Weltman says.

"My first year here, any time a road team came, half the stadium would be cheering them on," says Jalen Suggs, the Magic's starting 2 guard. "Now, it's hard to get tickets when another team is here ... And a lot of credit goes to Paolo for that." Suggs says he relates to how calm Banchero is on the court. "He's always ready to kill," he says. "When we step between these lines, he's not too high, and not too low, but he's out there to win and compete." There's now an unmistakable attitude coming from the locker room in Orlando. "When you come down here you really gotta lock in, because we here to crack heads."

So many guys who play for Orlando use the word "love" to describe Banchero. They understand the jolt he has provided to a once-destitute team.

"We call him The Franchise because he is The Franchise. We're just the supporting cast," says Cole Anthony, one of the Magic's key guards. "Man, he had 23 a game for most of the year. And until Wendell got his rebounding up, he was leading our team in every statistical category except steals. That's what you call a franchise."

"It's not always playful -- there's plenty of times in the game I'm pissed, s---," Banchero says. He admits he doesn't want to put too much pressure on his teammates. "If I do that, then everyone feels that pressure I already feel. So I carry it naturally. I carry it lightly. So that they not feelin' that pressure. And, if it don't go the way it's supposed to? We still live to fight another day."

Perfection is unattainable for all of us, though it remains one of the roots of our Earthly struggles. To expect it from someone who lives their life under constant public scrutiny is part of the psychosis surrounding the American pursuit of athletic success. Perhaps that's why so many of Banchero's teammates love playing with him, why his coaches cannot do anything but offer such effusive praise. Because in their ranks is a young man willing to run full speed at uncomfortable for the sake of getting everyone else some shine.

"He's 21, he could be taking it all in and having fun with it. But, there's so much more he wants from this game," his teammate, Wendell Carter Jr., tells me. He has a certain style of maturity with him where he's not overbearing, but he's very locked in on what's important."
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 695

Re: ESPN: How tough love (and disrespect) fuels Paolo Banchero 

Post#2 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

"because we here to crack heads"

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. From a kid who cries after winning sick because the win means that much, to another kid who says come into my house be prepared "because we here to crack heads".

Amazing. Simply amazing.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,764

Post#3 » by GameOver25 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 pm

Paolo you need better warriors. Cole and WCJr couldn't even crack an egg.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,565

Post#4 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:28 pm

What's funny about this article is that Paolo's actual body language, particularly when things aren't going well, is one of the worst things about him.

But I'm glad he's talking tough!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,174

Post#5 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 pm

Knightro wrote:What's funny about this article is that Paolo's actual body language, particularly when things aren't going well, is one of the worst things about him.

Thats exactly what i am seeing aswell. He can hit tough shots in pressure moments i will give him that, but his body language is not of a leader and winner. I have suspicion he would feel better as a second option. I also dont like how much pressure Cole puts on everyone.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#6 » by SHAQ32 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:04 pm

Cole is a catch and shoot guy but unfortunately we use him as a ballhandler
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#7 » by MasterGMer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm

Always a fan of Paolo! Go and carry the team tonight to victory, Paolo!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,507

Post#8 » by Bensational » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 pm

It’s going to be fun watching g Paolo grow. Ant Edwards has been a revelation to watch this season. He’s doing it all as a walking highlight reel, on both ends.

I think we’ll know Paolo is ready to contend when he starts getting chase down blocks and defensive highlights on the regular. Right now he coasts on that end and he never runs back to chase a fast break, but when he starts to we’ll know how locked in he is.

Seeing what tricks he adds to his bag after this season will be insightful.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#9 » by tooler » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

Knightro wrote:What's funny about this article is that Paolo's actual body language, particularly when things aren't going well, is one of the worst things about him.

Being hard on himself fuels him... but maybe not right that second in the game! At that point it just bothers him.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,431

Post#10 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

Paolo is different. I've believed this from day one.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,872

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm

Listen to what I say not look what I do???
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 360

Post#12 » by msmoore66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 pm

RookieStar wrote:

Listen to what I say not look what I do???

Yeah there are many different types of leadership. He may sulk when things aren't going his way, but if his teammates listen to him and fight alongside him, it doesn't really matter. They would understand him and his moods, actions etc a lot differently to most.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,431

Post#13 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 pm

Awesome article
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,828

Post#14 » by SOUL » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am

Great article. People forget he turned 21 a few months ago, just able to legally drink, and now is expected to be our face of the franchise.

He obviously still has a lot to work on with his game and being a leader, but the dude doesn't lack confidence which is half of the battle.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown or whatever they say, at least he's up for it, and that's all you can ask at this moment.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#15 » by MasterGMer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:13 pm

Like I said, this team will go as far as Paolo carries this team right now. And he needs to have this mentality. Good luck Game 4!

Return to Orlando Magic