ImageImageImageImage

What will we do with Hedo next season?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

What will we do with Hedo next season? 

Post#1 » by Jiwol » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:30 pm

I was thinking about the future of our franchise. As all of us I agree we need a starting PF. If Otis accomplishes the task of aquiring that player in the offseason it leaves us with very tough decision to make. One of our current starting forwards will have to make way. Assuming that we stick with Lewis for the long term (which is kinda obvious considering his contract) Turkoglu is the odd man out of starting lineup.

What do you think Hedo's role will be next season?\

Will he be our sixth man?

Will he be traded?

Or maybe (my thought) we should try to play him as a SG. Our problems with this position are obvious. With Hedo succesfully switching positions we would have monstrous lineup. Do you think he'd able to play SG at all? I think his D might be some problem with quicker and more athletic guys but his handles and shooting touch might be exactly what we need from SG position.

Would you consider that move if you were SVG?
samsonbud
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#2 » by samsonbud » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:36 pm

Hedo played sg during his early years and he was pretty good at it. Thats why he is pretty good at ballhandling and passing. He was even called as "Turkish Magic Johnson" in those years.

However, now, he is 10 years older and at least 3 inches taller than the Hedo in those years. I think he is not quick enough to defend SG right now.

Using Hedo in sg position in the next couple of games for experimenting won't hurt Magic a lot though...
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by whocares » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:59 pm

1. hedo is perfectly capable of playing sg as long as his necessary off-the-dribble beatings by the opposing player is covered by two capable big men.
2. there will have to be a lot of rotations though for that scheme to be successful.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
sipe75
Sophomore

Post#4 » by sipe75 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:48 pm

[quote="whocares"]1. hedo is perfectly capable of playing sg as long as his necessary off-the-dribble beatings by the opposing player is covered by two capable big men.
2. there will have to be a lot of rotations though for that scheme to be successful.[/quote

The problem with that is, and maybe you are alluding to that with your second comment, when an opposing player gets in the lane by blowing past our defenders and our big men come to help out, that leaves the man that they were guarding wide open for a layup. Having Nelson and Hedo as the starting 2 with Lewis as the three, would be a defensive disaster. Hedo and Lewis couldn't keep up with most of the 2's in the league in terms of speed and Nelson is too short to guard the bigger players.

I was wondering this myself. Most likely, Hedo will go to the bench primarily because Lewis is getting paid huge money and is completely ineffective without Dwight on the court so he can loft threes left and right, even though Hedo is better all around.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#5 » by NEM » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:50 pm

same thing as this year
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,208

Post#6 » by spinedoc » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:14 pm

sipe75 wrote:
whocares wrote:1. hedo is perfectly capable of playing sg as long as his necessary off-the-dribble beatings by the opposing player is covered by two capable big men.
2. there will have to be a lot of rotations though for that scheme to be successful.[/quote

The problem with that is, and maybe you are alluding to that with your second comment, when an opposing player gets in the lane by blowing past our defenders and our big men come to help out, that leaves the man that they were guarding wide open for a layup. Having Nelson and Hedo as the starting 2 with Lewis as the three, would be a defensive disaster. Hedo and Lewis couldn't keep up with most of the 2's in the league in terms of speed and Nelson is too short to guard the bigger players.

I was wondering this myself. Most likely, Hedo will go to the bench primarily because Lewis is getting paid huge money and is completely ineffective without Dwight on the court so he can loft threes left and right, even though Hedo is better all around.

Good post, I totally agree. If Stan had issues with Ariza starting at sg, what chances are Hedo and Shard going to have playing time there? Not much. We need a defensive stopper on the perimeter, and one that won't hurt us too bad in other areas.
Ballboy

Post#7 » by 507 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:43 pm

Bench Hedo and there goes his versatility, (this year's) shooting consistency and clutch shots.. He's just a regular 10/3/2 player off the bench. He was that player with 02-03 Sacto and 03-04 Spurs.

Check out his stats during that time: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/s ... atsId=3415

Fact: he maxes out his potential once he gets lots of pt and trust from the team.

If he is not starting, just trade him; it'd be better to acquire a 15/5/5 guy for him.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#8 » by MagicNolesFSU » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:58 pm

Just because he play the "2" spot doesnt mean he has to guard the opponents "2" guard every game.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Typhoon20 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:07 pm

The real question should be ''Can we keep Hedo once his contract expires '' ?.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#10 » by drsd » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:43 pm

A bench Hedo would be ideal. But it is unlikely for two reasons. For one, his ego would not accept it; he would demand a trade to another team to start, or leave as a FA to do so. Secondly, he is the player-A asset in any trade that brings an upgrade at the SG or PF slots.
Bucs80
Analyst

Post#11 » by Bucs80 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:52 pm

MagicNolesFSU wrote:Just because he play the "2" spot doesnt mean he has to guard the opponents "2" guard every game.

Than who is is going to gaurd those guys?

Rashard Lewis?

I think not :wavefinger:
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#12 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:58 pm

I still wouldn't trade Hedo unless it's an unbelieveable trade. He is too good of a fit.
Trade for Trae
Fan from day 1
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Fan from day 1 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:23 pm

let me check my crystal ball ;)
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#14 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:36 am

I prefer to focus on one season at a time, and right now, I'd like to see the Magic finish this season strong.
sipe75
Sophomore

Post#15 » by sipe75 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:38 am

Bucs80 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Than who is is going to gaurd those guys?

Rashard Lewis?

I think not :wavefinger:

My thoughts exactly!
sipe75
Sophomore

Post#16 » by sipe75 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:40 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I still wouldn't trade Hedo unless it's an unbelieveable trade. He is too good of a fit.

I agree. Hedo is pretty much tied with Dwight for my favorite current player right now. He's so goofy, but he has a sweet offensive game and plays smart d. He also seems to have a cool personality.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#17 » by Joseph17 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:53 am

I wouldn't trade Hedo. Do you think we could try making Shard guard the opposing sgs? He seems faster than Hedo.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Sad to say 

Post#18 » by MJallday59 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:38 pm

I honestly don't think they'll make any decisions on Hedo until we figure out what we'll do with the exprings now. We have to make sure he's expendable before moving him.

Return to Orlando Magic