ImageImageImageImage

Gerald Wallace

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

sipe75
Sophomore
And1: 0

Gerald Wallace 

Post#1 » by sipe75 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Does anyone believe me now that we should have went after this guy instead of Rashard Lewis in FA this past summer? I was really hoping we could have. He lit it up against the Magic last night and if you look at the stats He is doing better in every category except 3pt % than Rashard. Even so, he is a respectable 34% this year. I think we could have got him a lot cheaper and even played him with Hedo and Battie (next year) or another PF without worrying about being mismatched on D. He could play a guard role on D and a Foward's role on O with Hedo doing the opposite. I know some of you are going to say that he is doing better on a worse team, but what he does defensively would still be the same for us. We need a perimeter defender instead of hoping Dwight can block every shot. And some of you will say "that's not the type of system SVG is trying to incorporate" referring to surrounding 3pt shooters around Dwight. This philosophy doesn't seem to be working when our perimeter defense is killing us on the other end. Also as you can see with Hedo, dribble penetration also opens up shots for Dwight in addition to other shooters. Wallace definitely can penetrate and is a decent shooter from outside. I was just dumbfounded when no one was bringing up his name during the offseason as a FA and was just wondering if anyone has changed their mind on him now.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#2 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 pm

i think we made the right choice for our needs, we're going to try and develop a system, a system that has worked a lot in the past...i like Wallace a lot...he is unbelievable...it would have been nice to gotten him yes, but again, I think i prefer the Shard signing...plus im not sure that the Cats would have let him get away...I read where Jordan said he loved the guy...

now could you imagine

Nelson
Wallace
Hedo
Shard
Dwight

:o
sipe75
Sophomore

Post#3 » by sipe75 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:02 pm

thEthIEf wrote:i think we made the right choice for our needs, we're going to try and develop a system, a system that has worked a lot in the past...i like Wallace a lot...he is unbelievable...it would have been nice to gotten him yes, but again, I think i prefer the Shard signing...plus im not sure that the Cats would have let him get away...I read where Jordan said he loved the guy...

now could you imagine

Nelson
Wallace
Hedo
Shard
Dwight

I'm pretty sure we could have got him if we wanted him. We have Dwight. They have Okafor. Or was he restricted? Can't remember. In that case, we might have had to overpay (Lewis money) for him.
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
And1: 98

Post#4 » by Hotshot Hower » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Alot of people brought up Gerald Wallace. I still think what it could have been with him and his 6 years $60-65 Million Dollar Contract compared to Rashards...

Otis wanted that "perimiter scorer", so he coveted Rashard and got Rashard. I bet things would be alot different if Seattle had the 3rd or 4th pick. Rashard could be there and Gerald Wallace could be here as Orlando's second option in free agency. (assuming no deal was worked w/ the cats)

We also had Trevor Ariza, who was a younger and a more raw Gerald Wallce in my mind. So he wasn't as attractive then to fans, mgmt., and to the team's concept and what they we're trying to achieve as Rashard filled in alot of holes...

I wish we had him. damn.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#5 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:06 pm

the Bobcats had a good off season, they got him what, 6 years $57m (which i still think might be a little high, he's definitely earning it right now), they signed Carroll to some kind of crazy 6 year $25m deal, they got Richardson and they drafted Dudley, who I thought MIGHT become a decent NBA guy...now if only they could ship Okafor off...
Hotshot Hower
Veteran

Post#6 » by Hotshot Hower » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Oh and my adventure bussing the Charlotte Bobcats mgmt. team (Bob Johnson, MJ, Sam Vincent, etc)

Where I heard a ton of discussion. I remember Gerald was all but a lock to get resigned.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,831

Post#7 » by cwas2882 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Wallace wouldn't fit in here as well as Shard has. Last night Wallace got his because they were using Emaka as a decoy and drawing Dwight out of the paint. Would you want us to employ that type of system? Have Dwight hang out in the high post all day? I'm not saying GW isn't a great player, just that he wouldn't work as well here
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#8 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:10 pm

another point about Wallace is that he is their primary focus, and is why he is benefiting so much right now...they give him the ball on every possession...i dont know that it would have turned out the same here...
Hotshot Hower
Veteran

Post#9 » by Hotshot Hower » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 pm

cwas2882 wrote:Wallace wouldn't fit in here as well as Shard has. Last night Wallace got his because they were using Emaka as a decoy and drawing Dwight out of the paint. Would you want us to employ that type of system? Have Dwight hang out in the high post all day? I'm not saying GW isn't a great player, just that he wouldn't work as well here

I hear what you're saying...

But with Turk coming into his own and being a perimiter/ post threat and playmaker, Rashard value to this team diminshes and Wallace looks like the slasher/perimiter defender we have been desperatley lacking.

Oh, he's very injury prone. Thats another reason teams we're really buying into his "market value" and trying to sign him.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Your views of Wallace are skewed because he scored a lot of points on us once. Do you really think he plays like this every game?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#11 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Hotshot Hower wrote:Alot of people brought up Gerald Wallace. I still think what it could have been with him and his 6 years $60-65 Million Dollar Contract compared to Rashards...

It likely would have taken a bit more to get to leave Charlotte. I wouldn't imagine that they would have that easily let him walk away without trying to match our offers up to a point.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#12 » by MagicalMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:41 pm

I just knew this would come up after last nights loss and sure enough it did.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#13 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Can Wallace stay healthy?

It would have been a huge concern of mine, especially since his style is mostly based on athleticism.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#14 » by laVal03 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:51 pm

we wanted to open the floor for Dwight as he is our go to, thats why we got shard, GW is a great player but everyone is more afraid of him driving than hitting an open shot, I agree 34% isn't terrible but he can't hit them consistently where players view him as a 3 pt threat

If we could have gotten him for what charlotte paid, I could see maybe getting him and a 3 pt threat but overall I like the shard signing
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#15 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

craig01 wrote:Can Wallace stay healthy?

It would have been a huge concern of mine, especially since his style is mostly based on athleticism.

And that he seems to miss a good amount games each season due to injury.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#16 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:08 pm

HELL NAH we don't want gerald wallace on this team. we already have enough turnovers and mental mistakes. imagine the turnovers if we had gerald(avgs 3+)....hedo(avgs 3)...howard(avgs 3+)..and jameer(basically 2 or 3 turnovers). in fact wallace averages a tad more turnovers per game than howard. we don't need anymore dumb players. i pass.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#17 » by flyingvee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm

thEthIEf wrote:i think we made the right choice for our needs, we're going to try and develop a system, a system that has worked a lot in the past...

Great choice. A glutton at SF so we get a SF. And we have no PF. And yea, this system has worked a lot in the past, i see how many titles the Suns have won and with far superior talent.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#18 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 pm

why does everyone always compare us to the suns when we talk about systems? our system isnt their system...regardless of how you spin it...screw it, im just tired of replying to stuff...
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#19 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 pm

flyingvee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Great choice. A glutton at SF so we get a SF. And we have no PF. And yea, this system has worked a lot in the past, i see how many titles the Suns have won and with far superior talent.

we do have the correct players to run the system we are suppose to be running. like an inside-out team. but we have forgotten howard was still on the team and decided to play like the suns and warriors and chuck away at the three point line. and just like the warriors and suns orlando doesn't play defense, makes big runs however, and often let teams back into the game.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#20 » by MagicalMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:24 pm

flyingvee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

did we have a starting pf when we signed Rashard?

Return to Orlando Magic