ImageImageImageImage

New Magic Jersey (Merged)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Re: New Magic Jersey (Merged) 

Post#81 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 am

I take back what I said a few posts up. If the Magic were unveiling their new jerseys tomorrow night, it seems like there would be a new story about it somewhere.

I must have read a rumor somewhere and subconciously turned it into a fact.

...Unless they do unveil the new unis tomorrow. Then I win.
Magicfan94
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Magicfan94 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:41 pm

It will be some time. The new unis are being made from a new material by Adidas and haven't been given 100% go yet.

I'd expect something closer to the sale of regular season tix. But at this point, I'm not sure those in teh organization really know. There still is a chance it might not be a go.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#83 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 pm

The only thing I am thinking is that the current jerseys have been on sale for a while now, and they are almost sold out on the Magic Store website. They wouldn't order new shipments in if they are getting new jerseys...

Plus, I can't imagine they begin to sell the new draftee's jersey in the old style...
ocoeeballa
Ballboy

Post#84 » by ocoeeballa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 pm

The team will likely debut the jersey during an official unveiling ceremony. Maybe just like the one they did with Gooden and Gaines. It will probably be Jameer and maybe, Lewis unveiling these. Or maybe Gundy can pull a Guokas and model the jersey just like back in the day. Actually, they should ask Guokas to do it. Heh heh!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: 

Post#85 » by craig01 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:02 pm

MagicMadness wrote:Why do so many people dislike our "plain" jerseys?

It's as close to a classic look as we've ever been. I'd much rather have a look that'll stand the test of time and define our history than a jersey that gets updated every few years when it falls out of style.

Not saying that our current jerseys are perfect. Just that they're as close to a "doesn't need to be updated" look as we've been so far.

Sorry guys, guess I'm in the minority here.

I could not agree more.

The pinstripes are tacky.

Clean, simple = timeless = classy.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#86 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:07 pm

While I like a classic look, I just don't think our colors are unique enough to pull off our current uniforms. If we emphasized the silver more, perhaps. Or even if our blue was different from, well, regular blue. The Hornets jerseys are almost identical, but their's works because of the bold colors. Most people don't see our current uniforms and think "Oh yeah! That's the Magic!"
UKMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#87 » by UKMagic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Normal pinstripes

Black road jerseys

Current style of lettering for team name and numbers

Star print side panels...
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Re: 

Post#88 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 pm

craig01 wrote:
I could not agree more.

Personally, I like the pinstripes. If they can incorporate pinstripes into the new design while keeping a clean, simple design, I'd be eccstatic.

Use the Yankees unis as a template. That design hasn't been changed...ever? Classic.

Basically, the Magic need to remember this motto - KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#89 » by crazytown » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't know why we don't just go back to the 90's jersey. 90% of the fans like them. Isn't that your preferred target?
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:57 pm

crazytown wrote:I don't know why we don't just go back to the 90's jersey. 90% of the fans like them. Isn't that your preferred target?

I say an updated variant of the original jerseys.

The font used for the "Orlando" and "Magic" text on either jersey hasn't really stood the test of time...

And of course, the shade of blue would have to be changed to reflect our current colors.
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#91 » by Orange Ave. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 pm

crazytown wrote:I don't know why we don't just go back to the 90's jersey. 90% of the fans like them. Isn't that your preferred target?

I'm in the 10% I think, not crazy about the Dazzles because when they got sweaty, they turned a very different, dark shade of blue. And I really didn't like that we didn't have Orlando on our road jerseys. Felt like the team was anticipating a move to another city during the first arena war. The current Cleans will always be classic, but I'm ready for pinstrips again. It was our trademark, need to reestablish it before some other team does.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Orange Ave. wrote:

I'm in the 10% I think, not crazy about the Dazzles because when they got sweaty, they turned a very different, dark shade of blue. And I really didn't like that we didn't have Orlando on our road jerseys. Felt like the team was anticipating a move to another city during the first arena war. The current Cleans will always be classic, but I'm ready for pinstrips again. It was our trademark, need to reestablish it before some other team does.

I'm pretty sure he meant our original uniforms.

Or at least, I hope he did. The Dazzle unis were "cool" for a few years, but definitely HAVE NOT stood the test of time, even though we do have a small, strong segment of fans who still love them.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#93 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 pm

For what it is worth, the Timberwolves revealed their new logo (officially) today, and said their jerseys wouldn't be unveiled until August.

In other news, the Magic official website now features less blue and more... silver.

We should, at the very least, see the new primary logo soon.

And I still think our current Jersey clearance is an indication of upcoming change.
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by Orange Ave. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:07 pm

You're right, the 90's were the Originals. That's what I get for posting while studying for the bar.

TheRevTy wrote:In other news, the Magic official website now features less blue and more... silver.

Intersting, very intersting
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#95 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:26 pm

What the... was the bill always white on the hat?

Edit: Yeah, I guess it was... I really need to get out more...
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#96 » by Kent » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm

MagicMadness wrote:
craig01 wrote:
I could not agree more.

Personally, I like the pinstripes. If they can incorporate pinstripes into the new design while keeping a clean, simple design, I'd be eccstatic.

Use the Yankees unis as a template. That design hasn't been changed...ever? Classic.

Basically, the Magic need to remember this motto - KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)

While I respect your guys' opinion for a classic uniform, I don't think Orlando represents that thought. Orlando is still a very young and growing city. It's one on the edge of advancement. With respect to New York City, it's been around for a couple hundred years. The Yankees' uniforms haven't changed because of their historic roots; they didn't change over the decades because the market wasn't there to sell jerseys like there is now. As for why they still haven't changed, to do so now would evoke anger out of the generations' old fans as well give off a different vibe for the franchise.

Having jerseys rooted in the "new" fits the perception of Orlando.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#97 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey, shouldn't we at least see the new logo tonight?
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Kent wrote:
While I respect your guys' opinion for a classic uniform, I don't think Orlando represents that thought. Orlando is still a very young and growing city. It's one on the edge of advancement. With respect to New York City, it's been around for a couple hundred years. The Yankees' uniforms haven't changed because of their historic roots; they didn't change over the decades because the market wasn't there to sell jerseys like there is now. As for why they still haven't changed, to do so now would evoke anger out of the generations' old fans as well give off a different vibe for the franchise.

Having jerseys rooted in the "new" fits the perception of Orlando.

But what exactly is "new"? A few years ago, "new" was shiny material unis. A few years before that, "new" was thick shoulders and v-neck collars.

What about some of the uniform trends of the '80s? Most look horrible now, only good in a retro sense.

Same with the mid-90s uniform trend of cartoon logos on jerseys and other weird looks (Raptors/Hawks/Grizzlies unis quickly come to mind).

If we go with what's "new", we'll end up changing our jerseys every 5-10 years (which is what we've already been doing). Basically, something that's stylish yet simple will likely look the best, and last the longest as a brand and an image of the Orlando Magic.

Look at the Clippers unis, for instance. I think they're great, and they haven't really been altered ever - or at least, in the last 20+ years.

I just don't want our team's jerseys to suck balls five years from now in exchange for looking "hip" for one or two years... The best jerseys are almost always the least cluttered designs.
thefranchise2k5
Senior

Post#99 » by thefranchise2k5 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 pm

You guys may be mad... John Denton is reporting today what some of you guys mentioned a few weeks ago, hinting that the new jerseys may be black based on the draft hat used this year.

http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s ... rentPage=0

Not really new news since we already thought of this a while ago...
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man

Re: New Magic Jersey ? (Merged) 

Post#100 » by Orange Ave. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 am

ocoeeballa wrote:Well, the 08 draft hat is black. The last time Magics had a black draft hat was when they drafted Doleac and all them (1998) which was prior to the 10th anniverary season. Even though the Magic wore the new blue unis after the lockout was lifted, the preseason was still the black pinstripes.

That means - the Magic get black unis.

Yay!

By John Denton
FLORIDA TODAY
ORLANDO _ "For Orlando Magic fans eager to get a glimpse at the new design of the team’s uniforms for next season the color of the Magic’s hat at tonight’s NBA Draft might offer a sneak peek.

After years of using predominantly blue hats at the draft, the Magic have switched to a black hat with a white bill that is lined in black trim."

Either Denton read Ocoeeballa's post, or Ocoeeballa IS John Denton.

Return to Orlando Magic