ImageImageImageImage

DWIGHT HOWARD FRACTURED STERNUM

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Re: DWIGHT HOWARD FRACTURED STERNUM 

Post#21 » by magicfan4life05 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:34 am

man why wasnt this reported earlier?
Big Aaron
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Big Aaron » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:51 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:man why wasnt this reported earlier?

Because of reactions like most in this thread. A number of people probably think the sternum is in his knee or something equaly stupid.

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:If Brandon Roy & Richard Hamilton had a baby...and Penny & Spiderman had a baby...and then some how those two babies met in the future and F***ed, that would be Courtney Lee.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#23 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:04 am

so thats why we lost to the pistons.....

bwom bwomm bwommmm
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#24 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:37 am

Man i saw the ESPN ticker and it freaked me out. But it looks like he should be just fine. But the Magic obviously never intended to tell anyone. I did find it weird when Dwight said that he had not done any working out since the season ended when was interviewed by the Sentinel recently. It didnt sound like Dwight because we know he is a work out freak. I thougth that maybe he is burned out or something and wants to stay away from basketball for a while to clear his head. Now we know the truth that he was injured that whole time. I think he will be ok and well i will pray just in case. But man i dont apreciate the Magic being hush hush about this. And yes the Magic need to get Dwight some tough big guys to help him carry the load.

Pistons gooooons trying to hurt our guy...... :nonono:

I want revenge.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#25 » by flyingvee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:37 am

Well lets see, we had the whole Pistons frontline taking shots at Howard alone since Otis and most of you felt we were fine the Charles Oakley toughness of Rashard Lewis. Been saying it since last preseason that this team won't get a real PF until something happened liek Howard getting hurt.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#26 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:53 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 2486.story

Smith called Howard's injury a "bruise" and said his all-star center sustained it during contact in Game 2 of the club's playoffs series against the Pistons on May 4.

Howard was told the injury --- common among hockey players --- could take eight weeks to fully heal.

"It's actually the same bruise from the Detroit series. It's just not all the way healed. He could have practiced. There's nothing he needs to do but rest," Smith said.

"It hurts. I haven't been able to really do anything since the playoffs, but it'll be all right," Howard said. "I should be fine by the time we start training camp. That's what the doctor said. So there's no worries for me or the staff."

Somehow i dont trust Otis. He called it "bruise" while everyone else calls it a fracture. Bruises dont keep you out 6-8 weeks.....
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#27 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 am

flyingvee wrote:Well lets see, we had the whole Pistons frontline taking shots at Howard alone since Otis and most of you felt we were fine the Charles Oakley toughness of Rashard Lewis. Been saying it since last preseason that this team won't get a real PF until something happened liek Howard getting hurt.

yea, just like you predicted 38 wins. Oh, and yea, we had a real PF, but he got injured before last season. Then again, i'm sure that's Otis' fault too. So is global warming, the disappearance of honey bees everywhere, and the decline of Chevy Chase.

prorl, he's probably just trying to downplay it so fans don't get worried. *shrugs* I don't think he's lying, just downplaying it.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#28 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 am

So Dwight was playing hurt against the Pistons. Damn, he is not invincible after all. Dwight's health is one thing we usually take for granted. Glad it's nothing major.
DMannOC
Senior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by DMannOC » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:54 am

Dwight has a fractured sternum? FIRE OTIS!!!!!!!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#30 » by craig01 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 am

I totally dislike the fact that Howard is even playing.

The Olympics are not important to Howard's career growth at this time.

He really needs to be in Pete Newell's camp anyway..............
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#31 » by EasternMagic » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:10 am

flyingvee wrote:Well lets see, we had the whole Pistons frontline taking shots at Howard alone since Otis and most of you felt we were fine the Charles Oakley toughness of Rashard Lewis. Been saying it since last preseason that this team won't get a real PF until something happened liek Howard getting hurt.

LOL I was wondering when you would come in and blame Otis...
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#32 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:25 am

Well, this is not good news. If an injury takes six to eight weeks to heal, that's a pretty bad injury.

Worse, it's been six weeks, the close end of the time when doctors said he should be healed, and Dwight told the Sentinel that it's still sore. That really can't be good. It's going to get that much better in two weeks?

Craig, I think Dwight is playing because he wants to. It gives him the kind of exposure he doesn't get here in Orlando as much. If the Magic tried to step in and say he couldn't play, it might drive a wedge between him and the organization.

Still, I don't like the sound of him going into the Olympics hurting and playing for a month and then only having a couple months to heal after that before the regular season starts.

See....you think Otis is secretive about personnel moves. He's secretive about everything to do with his players. And he always downplays the injuries. Look how many times he has said that Jameer just is a little banged up and he has missed weeks. And you know he's a tough little guy.

Now, I am mad that they didn't draft a bruising power forward or center. Dwight might need more rest in the upcoming season. When the regular season starts, he will be entering his fourth consecutive year of playing basketball without a break. Of the other guys on Team USA, I think only Melo and LeBron also can say that. The rest of the guys have been shuffled in and out pretty much.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,447

Post#33 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:27 am

UCFJayBird wrote:

yea, just like you predicted 38 wins. Oh, and yea, we had a real PF, but he got injured before last season. Then again, i'm sure that's Otis' fault too. So is global warming, the disappearance of honey bees everywhere, and the decline of Chevy Chase.

prorl, he's probably just trying to downplay it so fans don't get worried. *shrugs* I don't think he's lying, just downplaying it.

Chevy Chase has got no one to blame but himself!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#34 » by drsd » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:29 am

Dwight Howard was forced to sit out practice Saturday due to a stress fracture of his sternum, an injury he sustained during the Orlando Magic's second round playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

Howard said he sustained the injury when he collided simultaneously and was sandwiched between Jason Maxiell and Arron Afflalo of the Pistons.

"It hurts. I haven't been able to really do anything since the playoffs, but it'll be all right," Howard said. "I should be fine by the time we start training camp. That's what the doctor said. So there's no worries for me or the staff."
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#35 » by drsd » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:13 am

Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#36 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:25 am

Wasent Dwight bowling a couple of weeks ago? He said that it still hurts, maybe he aggravated it doing that charity thing. Dwight stay away from bowling this summer. Just dont do anything.
aka: prorl
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#37 » by spinedoc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Nice pic there drsd. This isn't very serious and it should heal just fine. Its a fixated bone, there isn't any motion at all involving the sternum. Unless he fractured the ribs too, but it doesn't sound as if thats the case. Are we sure that this happened during the game itself or just that time frame? It takes a pretty forceful blow for this to happen. Sure its common in hockey, but thats a much more violent game. And with the size and the amount of musculature that Dwight has, I can't remember any contact during the series that would have done this. Anyway, it takes about 8 weeks for bone to heal itself, and I'm sure its just a hairline crack. It is painful though, but it takes nothing more than supplements and rest for it to heal.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#38 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:47 pm

spinedoc wrote:Nice pic there drsd. This isn't very serious and it should heal just fine. Its a fixated bone, there isn't any motion at all involving the sternum. Unless he fractured the ribs too, but it doesn't sound as if thats the case. Are we sure that this happened during the game itself or just that time frame? It takes a pretty forceful blow for this to happen. Sure its common in hockey, but thats a much more violent game. And with the size and the amount of musculature that Dwight has, I can't remember any contact during the series that would have done this. Anyway, it takes about 8 weeks for bone to heal itself, and I'm sure its just a hairline crack. It is painful though, but it takes nothing more than supplements and rest for it to heal.

Spinedoc to the rescue!!!! Thanks thats alieviates my fears.
aka: prorl
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#39 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:34 pm

craig01 wrote:I totally dislike the fact that Howard is even playing.

The Olympics are not important to Howard's career growth at this time.

He really needs to be in Pete Newell's camp anyway..............

Maybe not, but a lot of these players feel like winning Olympic Gold is the most important thing they could accomplish in their careers, right up their with winning an NBA Championship (and I'm sure some would say that Gold is more important, I know I would). So if Dwight feels that way, all the power to him to play this summer. Plenty of players win an NBA Championship, very few win Olympic Gold.

Besides, it's not an injury he can really hurt over and over again, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#40 » by flyingvee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 am

UCFJayBird wrote:yea, just like you predicted 38 wins. Oh, and yea, we had a real PF, but he got injured before last season. Then again, i'm sure that's Otis' fault too. So is global warming, the disappearance of honey bees everywhere, and the decline of Chevy Chase.

Wow, what a brainiac. Read your own words. He got injured BEFORE last season. So that means you don't replace him then the whole year? You overpay for a string bean SF and play hin at PF? Thats your answer? There have been several peopel concerned over the teams franchise player being out there all alone without a hint of an enforcer to watch his back. Sure Otis is a genius. This year we'll have Battie back, the guy we traded Drew Gooden and Verajao for.

Return to Orlando Magic