ImageImageImageImage

Build Your Own Orlando Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Re: Build Your Own Orlando Magic 

Post#21 » by MagicHolland » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:26 am

People here are underrating Frye's rebounding. He's not Dwight but he gets more boards than any other player on the Magic besides Dwight.

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/10 ... ning_frye/

Look at his last 5 games averaging about 30 minutes a game, 10,2 boards a game. you could also take his average for minutes over the season which is 17 with 4.6 boards, translate that to 34 minutes and you'll have 9.2 boards. That would be good production and he can definately hit the outside shot and make FT's.

As for Livingston, yes it is a gamble. But in my lineup we have Jameer, Dooling and Lee who could man the PG if it fails. There's also another open spot which I'd definately like to give to DA. Livingston could turn out to be one of the biggest steals ever. It's not like we're giving him Grant Hill money...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,452

Post#22 » by Bensational » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:47 am

eyriq wrote:
I would like to trade Hedo, but I think another year of semi-stardom will do him good and allow us to get much more for him in a sign n trade after he opts out. I love the starting five with Corey in there instead of Evans, and I think the different skill sets will be death to our opposition. The weaknesses that plagued us last year will somewhat be addressed here, as we can now go big and really bang the glass hard with the addition of Kwame and Battie. There will still be the issue of turnovers, but hopefully a year of maturing will help all involved. Also, having Corey at the 2 will improve our weakest position dramatically, both offensively and defensively. I think this team is pushing the Celtics for best record and bringing home a trophy when it is all said and done.

i agree about keeping Hedo. there's every chance he regresses, but for the meantime, we rode the Hedo/Lewis train to the 2nd rd last season. we know how he fits the system. we know what he brings to the system. we know what the system lacked last season. why change that? why not build around that?

i think the front court needs more depth than Battie, and Kwame is a good start. the way i see it is the front court needs a defensive hustler (Dorsey/Evans/Fortson) as well as a young project that can potentially share the load with Dwight and bring it on both sides of the court (people will shoot me down for not being a fan of Speights during the draft, but he's the kind of player i have in mind) like Darko was supposed to. Maybe Frye is that guy, despite the fact i panned him in another post. haha.

Jersey: not bad. but i'm not a big fan of the Lopez boys at all. i think they're destined to become stiffs in the NBA. they could become reliable starters, but nothing star worthy. and for a #6 pick that's what i'd be hoping for. i'd use the 6 to try and get Kevin Love, or even trade down to get Rush + a later pick (meaning Arthur/Dorsey/White). i like the rest of the additions.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Bensational » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:52 am

MagicHolland wrote:People here are underrating Frye's rebounding. He's not Dwight but he gets more boards than any other player on the Magic besides Dwight.

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/10 ... ning_frye/

Look at his last 5 games averaging about 30 minutes a game, 10,2 boards a game. you could also take his average for minutes over the season which is 17 with 4.6 boards, translate that to 34 minutes and you'll have 9.2 boards. That would be good production and he can definately hit the outside shot and make FT's.

As for Livingston, yes it is a gamble. But in my lineup we have Jameer, Dooling and Lee who could man the PG if it fails. There's also another open spot which I'd definately like to give to DA. Livingston could turn out to be one of the biggest steals ever. It's not like we're giving him Grant Hill money...

yeah, i think i don't give Frye enough credit. but the dude hasn't been terribly consistent in his career. still, i'd take a chance on him, if it didn't cots me Hedo to do it.

Livingston though, 100% agree. it's chump change when you could potentially be adding a great PG, who has potential to grow with Dwight.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#24 » by spinedoc » Sat Jul 5, 2008 12:30 pm

Bensational wrote:
i agree about keeping Hedo. there's every chance he regresses, but for the meantime, we rode the Hedo/Lewis train to the 2nd rd last season. we know how he fits the system. we know what he brings to the system. we know what the system lacked last season. why change that? why not build around that?

Its not a question about him regressing. He's flourished with the addition of Lewis and Dwight's development, but its about maximizing our other assets, namely Lewis. He can't handle the wear and tear at the four long term, and I think that Hedo's contributions can be spread out over several other players. The ball handling issue is the biggest one, but I believe its a little over blown. Lee will help with that and Jameer is still developing too. He's getting there, but it takes awhile for most pg's. Not everyone can be Chris Paul out of the gate. I'd wait till the deadline though, unless something really decent came available now. It would be nice to see exactly what we are going to need with the chemistry of our new guys, plus there will be better deals then imo. Ideally I would like him coming off the bench, but he's going to be making too much for us to afford that kind of luxury with his upcoming raise. We really are going to need to use his salary slot on a starting pf.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#25 » by MMFla » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:31 pm

Point:
Nelson/Dooling/Armstrong

Resign Dooling
Sign Armstong Vets

Shooting:
Barry/Lee/Bogans/JJ

Sign Barry LLE-BAE

Barry is a great 3 point shooter and play maker he can be the extra ball handler. Pietrus I wouldn't mind he would be choice 1B but I'm hoping Lee is a stud and can start next year.

Small Foward:
Lewis/Outlaw

I agree we shouldn't play small ball and Hedo wouldn't like the bench so instead of Webster I added Outlaw, he is a great player to come off the bench to provide hustle and defense. Hedo-Auggie for Frye-Outlaw I don't know if they would do it but they did say they want experience.

Power Foward:
Frye/Battie/Cook

Frye is a great complement to Dwight, he can shoot it and we would let Battie come in off the bench to hopefully have him stay healthy. Cook is an insurance big he could be packaged in a trade or kept if someone got injured.

Center:
Dwight/Brown/Gortat

Sign Brown to either the full (I wouldn't) or half MLE, if half that can set up Pietrus with the other have if we couldn't get Barry. Brown can be like Foyle, come in and provide defense and boards, I hope he can be a healthy Kelvin Kato I remember his first year him and Dwight were a swatting force until he got injured. We could find a trade of JJ/Bogans/Cook or keep the depth.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#26 » by Devin 1L » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:35 pm

Bensational wrote:Hey guys, thought i'd lump some feedback into a post. as revty said, there's no point puttin all this effort in if noone's gonna comment.

Spine: Not too far off my lineup. adding Kwame/Battie to last year's front court definitely gives us some size. i don't mind kwame at all, but not sure if he's the kind of big that you need against the mcdyess'/ratliff/kurt thomas' of the league. Crittenton in the backcourt gives massive versatility and size. that's realistic and i wouldn't be disappointed to see that squad next season.

RawLew: i like the shelden williams addition. i'm not even sure what kind of value that dude carries in the league. he hasn't achieved much since he's been in, although he was a big part of the Bibby deal wasn't he? anyway, if the deal were JJ instead of Bogans i think it would be more likely. i still think JJ will carry some value to teams. Bogans would be more appealing to contending teams, because he's one of those final pieces of the puzzle type guys. the wilcox deal i can't see happening, because the dude's far more talented than what he's bringing back, and he's an expiring, s that makes him even more valuable. sorry dude. otherwise the lineup looks tidy.

Thief: i've only just realised, after lookin through Larry Coon's cap FAQ's, i can't find mention of a VLE, but i'm sure i've heard of it before. do you know anything about it? anyway, i love your lineup, but those are the sort of moves i think only teams like Boston/Lakers/Spurs/Pistons would be capable of pulling off. convincing Duhon/MP to split MLE. Kurt Thomas is believable IMO. Kwame for the mysterious VLE, probably not, only because i see him getting the LLE $2mil at least.

MagicHolland: long time no speak. i like the roster before the Hedo move. it looks versatile, and i love the gamble on Livingston (i did the same). but once Hedo's dealt, we lose play making in our lineup and Frye doesn't even offer us the rebounding that we sorely lack in the front court.

Willis: Seems there's a common line of thinking amongst a few of us on this board. MP/Kwame look like winners in the FA market, and are achievable. i completely agree about only giving MP 3.5-4mil. as for 3rd string PG, i think instead of Johnson, may as well bring DA in.

RevTY: Not bad. i would've wanted much more for Hedo though. perhaps that's just me being a homer, but Lee + Jefferies really isn't much. Lee + Crawford would be fair IMO, although we'd probably have to include a future 1st or something. still, i'd much rather that. even if Crawford isn't part of the bigger picture, he'd have solid trade value in the future. I'd much prefer the Hedo/Kirilenko deal. that would be fair, and would make us a MASSIVE contender IMO. Kirilenko/Odom are my two main options in a swap for Hedo. but that's me.

magicfan217: nice deal. as GM it'd give you the option to send Nelson to the bench, and i think that deal would really do a lot to replace Hedo's play making. i'm sure JJ would see a lot more minutes too. i actually really like that roster. nice.

I believe he's referring to the veterans minimum, although I can't see him going for that little (a 26 year old big man who can play defense). Nevertheless, as I've said before, I'd love to see us target Kwame with part of our MLE.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#27 » by MagicHolland » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:06 pm

devin3807 wrote:
Bensational wrote:Hey guys, thought i'd lump some feedback into a post. as revty said, there's no point puttin all this effort in if noone's gonna comment.

Spine: Not too far off my lineup. adding Kwame/Battie to last year's front court definitely gives us some size. i don't mind kwame at all, but not sure if he's the kind of big that you need against the mcdyess'/ratliff/kurt thomas' of the league. Crittenton in the backcourt gives massive versatility and size. that's realistic and i wouldn't be disappointed to see that squad next season.

RawLew: i like the shelden williams addition. i'm not even sure what kind of value that dude carries in the league. he hasn't achieved much since he's been in, although he was a big part of the Bibby deal wasn't he? anyway, if the deal were JJ instead of Bogans i think it would be more likely. i still think JJ will carry some value to teams. Bogans would be more appealing to contending teams, because he's one of those final pieces of the puzzle type guys. the wilcox deal i can't see happening, because the dude's far more talented than what he's bringing back, and he's an expiring, s that makes him even more valuable. sorry dude. otherwise the lineup looks tidy.

Thief: i've only just realised, after lookin through Larry Coon's cap FAQ's, i can't find mention of a VLE, but i'm sure i've heard of it before. do you know anything about it? anyway, i love your lineup, but those are the sort of moves i think only teams like Boston/Lakers/Spurs/Pistons would be capable of pulling off. convincing Duhon/MP to split MLE. Kurt Thomas is believable IMO. Kwame for the mysterious VLE, probably not, only because i see him getting the LLE $2mil at least.

MagicHolland: long time no speak. i like the roster before the Hedo move. it looks versatile, and i love the gamble on Livingston (i did the same). but once Hedo's dealt, we lose play making in our lineup and Frye doesn't even offer us the rebounding that we sorely lack in the front court.

Willis: Seems there's a common line of thinking amongst a few of us on this board. MP/Kwame look like winners in the FA market, and are achievable. i completely agree about only giving MP 3.5-4mil. as for 3rd string PG, i think instead of Johnson, may as well bring DA in.

RevTY: Not bad. i would've wanted much more for Hedo though. perhaps that's just me being a homer, but Lee + Jefferies really isn't much. Lee + Crawford would be fair IMO, although we'd probably have to include a future 1st or something. still, i'd much rather that. even if Crawford isn't part of the bigger picture, he'd have solid trade value in the future. I'd much prefer the Hedo/Kirilenko deal. that would be fair, and would make us a MASSIVE contender IMO. Kirilenko/Odom are my two main options in a swap for Hedo. but that's me.

magicfan217: nice deal. as GM it'd give you the option to send Nelson to the bench, and i think that deal would really do a lot to replace Hedo's play making. i'm sure JJ would see a lot more minutes too. i actually really like that roster. nice.

I believe he's referring to the veterans minimum, although I can't see him going for that little (a 26 year old big man who can play defense). Nevertheless, as I've said before, I'd love to see us target Kwame with part of our MLE.

I value your opinion, always have. So would you rather have Maggette for the full MLE or have it split up to get Brown and______ fill in the blank. Also how do you feel about adding Livingston, from what I remember you were pretty high on him also. Would you take the gamble?
joshman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by joshman » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:53 am

lineup before changes

pg-nelson,
sg-lee,bogans,redick
sf-turkoglu,cook
pf-lewis,battie,augustine
c-howard,gortat

mle-4 million michael pietrus
1.8 shaun livingston or jason williams
lle kwame brown
vle-darrel armsrtong

line up
pg-nelson,livingston or williams,armstrong
sg-pietrus,lee,bogans,redick
sf-turkoglu,cook
pf-lewis,battie,augustine
c-howard,brown,gortat

trades-
trade redick, cook and 2009 1st to miami for udonis haslem
trade turkoglu battie bogans and right to fran vazquez and maybe a 2010 1st (if needed) to new york knicks for quentin richardson david lee and s/t fred jones

line up now

pg-nelson,livingston/williams,armstorng
sg-pietrus,lee,fred jones
sf-lewis,richardson
pf-haslem,lee,augustine
c-howard,brown,gortat

i personally think that this is a championchip team
joshman
Banned User
And1: 0

my new and improved offseason 

Post#29 » by joshman » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:15 am

line up now

pg-nelson
sg-lee bogans redick
sf-turkoglu cook
pf lewis, battie, augustine
c-howard,gortat,maybe vazquez

MLE- 4 million pietrus
1.8 million livingston or jason williams
lle kwame brown or kurt thomas
vle darrel armstorng

trades
trade redick cook and 20009 1st to miami for haslem
trade turkoglu, battie, bogans and right to fran to new york for quentin richardson, david lee.
s/t fred jones and 1st if needed will and should be a high draft pick

line ups
pg-nelson,livinston/williams,armstrong
sg,pietrus,lee,jones
sf-lewis,richardson
pf-haslem,lee,augustine
c-howard,brown/thomas,gortat

sounds like champions on paper
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Bensational » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:14 pm

i'm still really interested to see richboy's and maginno's opinions on what they'd do.

last time richboy posted in a thread like this i quite liked his idea. haven't ever really seen mag's idea of what he'd do.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#31 » by spinedoc » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:58 pm

Bensational wrote:i'm still really interested to see richboy's and maginno's opinions on what they'd do.

last time richboy posted in a thread like this i quite liked his idea. haven't ever really seen mag's idea of what he'd do.

Haven't you heard that Rashard can't be moved anywhere, and therefore we are doomed from putting together a championship team yet? After all, why light a candle when you can just continue to curse the darkness? :lol:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#32 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:02 am

Re-Mix

1. Sign Kurt Thomas to full MLE for two years. Add another year if competition dictates.

2. Trade Hedo and Cook to New York for Crawford and D. Lee.

3. Trade Redick for Crittenton.

4. Sign Jason Williams to the vet minimum.

5. Sign Michael Ruffin to the vet minimum.

6. Give the Bi-annual to Bonzi Wells

New Roster

Nelson/Williams/Crittenton
Crawford/C. Lee/Bogans
Lewis/Wells
Thomas/D. Lee/Augie
Howard/Battie/Ruffin/Gortat

What I like about all this is that the starting 5 is strong, the bench is deep, and the future is bright with David Lee and Courtney Lee looking to take over their respective starting spots in a matter of years. Upside players include D. Lee, C. Lee, Crittenton and Gortat. Nelson and Crawford will form a very potent offensive backcourt, and Crawford can handle the rock which alleviates the loss of Hedo somewhat. I'd say the five guys to see regular minutes behind the starters would be D. lee/Wells/Battie/C. Lee/WIlliams, with the potential of Gortat beating out Battie at some point and Crittenton beating out Williams. In fact I'd bet on both.

I am just more and more convinced that the Magic need to move Lewis back to the three, even though I have been vocal before against just that point. Maybe I am reading to much into all these metrics I've been seeing, as my intuition tells me that having a three point threat at the 4 is tremendous for what the Magic try to do, but now that I am hearing that the Magic are thinking about making the change I want to see at least a strong front court to make up for the loss. Trades are the only way to make that happen, imo.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#33 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:53 am

eyriq wrote:Re-Mix

1. Sign Kurt Thomas to full MLE for two years. Add another year if competition dictates.

New Roster

Crawford/C. Lee/Bogans
Lewis/Wells
Thomas/D. Lee/Augie

What I like about all this is that the starting 5 is strong, the bench is deep, and the future is bright with David Lee and Courtney Lee looking to take over their respective starting spots in a matter of years. Upside players include D. Lee, C. Lee, Crittenton and Gortat. Nelson and Crawford will form a very potent offensive backcourt, and Crawford can handle the rock which alleviates the loss of Hedo somewhat. I'd say the five guys to see regular minutes behind the starters would be D. lee/Wells/Battie/C. Lee/WIlliams, with the potential of Gortat beating out Battie at some point and Crittenton beating out Williams. In fact I'd bet on both.

I like it.

eyriq wrote:I am just more and more convinced that the Magic need to move Lewis back to the three, even though I have been vocal before against just that point. Maybe I am reading to much into all these metrics I've been seeing, as my intuition tells me that having a three point threat at the 4 is tremendous for what the Magic try to do, but now that I am hearing that the Magic are thinking about making the change I want to see at least a strong front court to make up for the loss. Trades are the only way to make that happen, imo.

From a post that was copied from another different forum? That to me is not enough to convince me that there's a change pending.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#34 » by theTHIEF » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:52 am

Bonzi will not take BAE and NY drafted Gillinalliraria-i
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:53 am

mhectorgato wrote:
From a post that was copied from another different forum? That to me is not enough to convince me that there's a change pending.

Well of course you are right. There is a good argument for leaving things as is and for changing them, and I think I am seeing more and more of the other side's point. It will be interesting to say the least.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#36 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:02 am

eyriq wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:

Well of course you are right. There is a good argument for leaving things as is and for changing them, and I think I am seeing more and more of the other side's point. It will be interesting to say the least.

Is Otis and SVG? That's the real question in this regard.

At this point I'm not swayed enough to go to the traditional lineup. But I agree, it certainly will be interesting to see what the roster looks like at the start of camp.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:46 am

eyriq wrote:Re-Mix

New Roster

Crawford/C. Lee/Bogans
Lewis/Wells
Thomas/D. Lee/Augie

I am just more and more convinced that the Magic need to move Lewis back to the three, even though I have been vocal before against just that point. Maybe I am reading to much into all these metrics I've been seeing, as my intuition tells me that having a three point threat at the 4 is tremendous for what the Magic try to do, but now that I am hearing that the Magic are thinking about making the change I want to see at least a strong front court to make up for the loss. Trades are the only way to make that happen, imo.

very nice. good mix of vets and youth, so we can compete now and in the future.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:49 pm

theTHIEF wrote:Bonzi will not take BAE and NY drafted Gillinalliraria-i

Details details...

Return to Orlando Magic