ImageImageImageImage

GORoTAT plays in Polish national team

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Re: GORoTAT plays in Polish national team 

Post#21 » by Last Guardian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 pm

glennathan wrote:What kind of effect would it have on this team to start Gortat at center and move Howard to PF? Could it really be that bad? I know he is only just starting his career but I agree if he put this kind of numbers already what is he going to be like with another year under SVG and Patrick Ewing?

Are you friggin kidding me? There is no way we move Dwight Howard to PF. We have to trade him so he doesn't get in Gortats way.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#22 » by cedric76 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:09 am

any more results?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#23 » by Jiwol » Sun Aug 3, 2008 1:54 pm

Poland-Italy 75:90
Gorotat: 10 pts. (5/7)/16 rebs

Poland-France 82:76
Gorotat: 9 pts. (4/8)/13 rebs/3 blk

Poland-Israel 76:86
Gorotat: 12 pts (5/12)/9 rebs/2 blk

After the last game Gortat said the lose was his fault (although he was one of the best on the floor). Now he's back in Poland, in his hometown where he'll run a small basketball camp for youths.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#24 » by OrlandoMagic » Sun Aug 3, 2008 2:14 pm

These are the stats I am hoping from him this yr:

6ppg 7rpg 1bpg 1apg

Now these are the more realistic stats for him this yr:

0ppg 23rpg 4bpg 3arms per game
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#25 » by NEM » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:27 am

i could see him turning into a poor man's ben wallace/dennis rodman. no offense, but the rebounding and defense will be astounding
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#26 » by drsd » Mon Aug 4, 2008 8:07 am

RawLewD12 wrote:i could see him turning into a poor man's ben wallace/dennis rodman. no offense, but the rebounding and defense will be astounding

In Germany, Gortat's skill was to crash the offensive boards. That was a skill that Rodman absolutely perfected.
WooCash
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by WooCash » Mon Aug 4, 2008 11:22 am

I saw Gortat play two games against Bulgaria (mind you, Bulgaria isn't any threat in basketball) and there are a few things this guy does very well - rebounding and defense. In my opinion this guy crashes the boards very well, and he's a strong guy so when he boxes out, the oponent has a hard time. On the defensive end, the oponents of Gortat have to realy look out when they drive down the lane, because this guy blocks everything there is to block. Because the Polish national team dosn't have a main scorer that gets the ball most of the time, people want Marcin Gortat to become the Polish main guy on the team and there leader. This guy dosn't have the talent on offense to be an offensive threat in the NBA, mind you I think that he's good enough for the Polish team to have the ball oftern in his hands, which was the case in the recent friendly games against Bulgaria, Italy, France and Israel.

I really do think and I believe that Gortat can contribute in the Magic team by crashing the boards, playing hard D, swating shots away and running the fast break. That's another thing he does very well for a big guy, he runs the floor realy quick and big oponents might have difficulty catching up with him.

Here's a picture of me, Marcin Gortat and a friend of mine after the game against Bulgaria which Poland one.

Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#28 » by Gerhalt11 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:19 pm

yoyo65 wrote:i bet Dwight is Gortat's backup this year

Fixed.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#29 » by Catledge » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:15 pm

WooCash wrote:I saw Gortat play two games against Bulgaria (mind you, Bulgaria isn't any threat in basketball) and there are a few things this guy does very well - rebounding and defense. In my opinion this guy crashes the boards very well, and he's a strong guy so when he boxes out, the oponent has a hard time. On the defensive end, the oponents of Gortat have to realy look out when they drive down the lane, because this guy blocks everything there is to block. Because the Polish national team dosn't have a main scorer that gets the ball most of the time, people want Marcin Gortat to become the Polish main guy on the team and there leader. This guy dosn't have the talent on offense to be an offensive threat in the NBA, mind you I think that he's good enough for the Polish team to have the ball oftern in his hands, which was the case in the recent friendly games against Bulgaria, Italy, France and Israel.

I really do think and I believe that Gortat can contribute in the Magic team by crashing the boards, playing hard D, swating shots away and running the fast break. That's another thing he does very well for a big guy, he runs the floor realy quick and big oponents might have difficulty catching up with him.

Here's a picture of me, Marcin Gortat and a friend of mine after the game against Bulgaria which Poland one.

Thanks, Woo. Nice analysis.

These questions might be more detailed than you are prepared to answer -- I imagine that you weren't taking notes -- but any light you can shed would be appreciated:

-- How are his hands? Does he seem to catch balls in traffic well? Does he struggle with catching bounce passes?

-- Is he competent at all on the dribble? Do you see him ever developing a one- or two-dribble move?

-- Denton once told me that he can hit the mid-range jumper in practice. Have you seen him do this at all in international competition with Poland?
drsd
RealGM

Post#30 » by drsd » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:32 pm

Catledge wrote:-- How are his hands? Does he seem to catch balls in traffic well? Does he struggle with catching bounce passes?

-- Is he competent at all on the dribble? Do you see him ever developing a one- or two-dribble move?

-- Denton once told me that he can hit the mid-range jumper in practice. Have you seen him do this at all in international competition with Poland?

I'll answer the questions from his time in Cologne.

1) Gortat was goofy with the ball on offense and has basically only an up and under move. But his handle with the ball is OK and he is never under attack to cause strips. A solid "B" grade to this question.

2) For a PF, his dribble is OK. Gortat is not turnover prone at all. But it's not like he's going to emerge as a point-forward. Especially at the 4 slot.

3) In Cologne, Gortat NNEEVVEERR shot jumpers. He had absolutely no part of offensive sets whatsoever. A poor "D" grade here. But he might have a jumper that his coach simple never set plays for.

One thing not mentioned above: Gortat LOVES basketball. He knows he's getting paid big money to play a game. His energy is really up there at Darrell Armstrong levels. Grotat will lead the leagues in dove-for-the-ball floor burns. As such, Gortat is especially coachable. That the Magic are forcing Gortat to play 5 when he's a natural 4 shows how much Gortat will do whatever is asked of. Ultimately Gortat will become the effective roster replacement of Garrity. As such, Mr. Polska-Power is an upgrade off of the bench.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#31 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:35 pm

If you did not see the latest summer league, Gortat made several mid-range jumpers so he has been working on that part of his game since arriving in Orlando.
aka: prorl
drsd
RealGM

Post#32 » by drsd » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:48 pm

prorl wrote:If you did not see the latest summer league, Gortat made several mid-range jumpers so he has been working on that part of his game since arriving in Orlando.

I agree that Gortat has a 10 footer, only that in game, Cologne NEVER used it.
WooCash
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#33 » by WooCash » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:09 pm

Catledge wrote:Thanks, Woo. Nice analysis.

These questions might be more detailed than you are prepared to answer -- I imagine that you weren't taking notes -- but any light you can shed would be appreciated:

-- How are his hands? Does he seem to catch balls in traffic well? Does he struggle with catching bounce passes?

I'm afraid that I havn't seen anuff games of Marcin Gortat so what I right is baised on 2 games against Bulgaria and I'v seen a couple games when he played in Cologne.

- If it's about his hands, I didn't notice any dificulty's with him catching the ball in trafic or of the bounce pas, but to be honest with you I didn't exacly take big notice of that aspect of his game.

- From what i'v seen he doesn't try to dribble the ball that much, he rather takes position and waits for the ball, and on one on one situations he sometimes uses the jab step and drives to the hoop, but again to be honest I don't really know wether he's good with the dribble or not.

- Yes, I have seen him hit the mid range jumper a couple of times against the games with Bulgaria, he dosn't use it a lot, but I remember a few nice shots he made that surprised me, because i doubted he could hit the mid range.

I know my English isn't perfect but i hope i made sense in writing what i wrote..
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#34 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:06 am

I'm a fan of Gortat, I think he's as good as the average back-up center in the NBA. When I saw him had that little run vs. Pistons. I knew he was going to be a player. It's going to be fun battle between Gortat-Battie-Cook for mins.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#35 » by MoGrAdY » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:37 am

theTHIEF wrote:Darko could average 25/10/5 in this league today if he wanted to...

Or not. Not even close.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#36 » by Versubio » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:40 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I'm a fan of Gortat, I think he's as good as the average back-up center in the NBA. When I saw him had that little run vs. Pistons. I knew he was going to be a player. It's going to be fun battle between Gortat-Battie-Cook for mins.

Don't forget Foyle! :D
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#37 » by Versubio » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:43 am

WooCash wrote:
Catledge wrote:Thanks, Woo. Nice analysis.

I'm afraid that I havn't seen anuff games of Marcin Gortat so what I right is baised on 2 games against Bulgaria and I'v seen a couple games when he played in Cologne.

- If it's about his hands, I didn't notice any dificulty's with him catching the ball in trafic or of the bounce pas, but to be honest with you I didn't exacly take big notice of that aspect of his game.

- From what i'v seen he doesn't try to dribble the ball that much, he rather takes position and waits for the ball, and on one on one situations he sometimes uses the jab step and drives to the hoop, but again to be honest I don't really know wether he's good with the dribble or not.

- Yes, I have seen him hit the mid range jumper a couple of times against the games with Bulgaria, he dosn't use it a lot, but I remember a few nice shots he made that surprised me, because i doubted he could hit the mid range.

I know my English isn't perfect but i hope i made sense in writing what i wrote..

You English is very good. This coming from somebody who also speaks English as a second language. :wink:
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#38 » by Catledge » Tue Aug 5, 2008 1:23 am

Thanks again, Woo.

Return to Orlando Magic