ImageImageImageImage

is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 30

Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Re: is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now? 

Post#41 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

MitchellUK wrote:Very true. Most of his game revolves around overpowering his opponent, and put backs, but last season he displayed some nice drop steps, baseline spin moves, and little hook shots. His repertoire is still very much reliant on him being a physical beast, but he's certainly shown signs of developing a finesse game.

Plus, I don't necessarily buy the argument that Dwight is inferior to anyone based on the fact that he doesn't have a well-developed offensive scheme. Does it really matter how the job gets done, so long as it gets done? Okay, most of his points are from dunks and put backs. So? That doesn't make him any less of an asset than centers who have a jump shot or a hook shot. It's just a different style. He's a freak of nature athletically and his strength is his biggest pro. I don't understand this feeling that this somehow diminishes him as a player.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,167

Post#42 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm

I dont like when people use the argument that Dwight is a physical freak and thats how he dominates. Thats a bad thing? Look at the list of best players and you will see that a large number of them are great athletes.
aka: prorl
DrunkOnMystery
Starter
And1: 0

Post#43 » by DrunkOnMystery » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I still don't get the "All he can do is dunk" argument. 1) it's not remotely true, and 2) a dunk is the most efficient shot there is. If you could make all your FGAs dunks, you'd be stupid not to; you'd shoot about 99% from the field. 3) if you're dunking a lot, it usually means you're having to get the ball in a position close enough to the basket to do so, which usually means, within a few feet. This isn't Space Jam. I've yet to figure out why people confuse the idea of a "post move" and a "post shot". A post move that ends in a dunk is a pretty awesome post move.

Return to Orlando Magic