ImageImageImageImage

is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 30

MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Re: is Dwight Howard the best center to you as of now? 

Post#21 » by MitchellUK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:14 pm

More polished and skilled = Yao, by quite a stretch.

Better = Dwight.

Despite not having anywhere near the skillset of Yao, Dwight still puts up 21ppg on power and hustle alone, and D12's superiority in rebounding and defending make him an all around better player.
PimpORL
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#22 » by PimpORL » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Yes, Dwight is better than Yao.
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#23 » by laVal03 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Yao is the more skilled player and if could stay healthy then the better center right now, however he can't and Dwight has a much higher ceiling and will be the better center in the end imo.

I would say with the age difference and Yao's health that almost every GM in the league would take Dwight over Yao

lol @ magic fans not being biased tho. close to the most homerific fan base on realgm
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm

DreamYaoTmac5 wrote:Nope it shows
Yao > Dwight
:rofl: nice thought though.

Dwight > Yao anyways though. Injuries factor into someone's value.

------------------------------------
nope
-thief
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#25 » by Def Swami » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Yao is good in his own right and Dwight is the best at what he does. But, by the end of this year, I think Dwight will be the undisputed best center because, this year, I think hes going to get his teammates involved more often. There were a couple of plays during the Spain and Germany game where he was much more patient on the block. Whenever he attracted the double team he kicked the ball out for open Js. Once he makes that a habit, and hopefully raises his freethrow percentage, he'll be the most dominant center in the league. Right now, Dwight's defense and upside makes him a better center than Yao, but only by a slight margin, considering his lack of an outside game.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#26 » by ivDT » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:21 pm

who is yao ming?
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#27 » by trebone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 pm

yao when healthy for 1 more season after that dwight will surpass him
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm

Come on, thief. You know its true man. :lol:

Ya always gotta be doin edits to my posts. :(
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#29 » by magicfanatic23 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Yao may be more skilled offensively than Dwight but I would have to take Dwight over Yao. He is much more dominate and is so athletic and strong. Yao is a good player but I don't see him as better than Dwight.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#30 » by aleZ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 pm

The perfect center would prolly be a mix of the two but no, Dwight has still room for improvement in the "same old" areas we've been discussing for ages.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by BassMaster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:50 pm

So are we comparing Dwight to all of the centers in the league or just Yao. If it's just Yao then Dwight is equal because he is able to stay healthly, overall skills right now I give the edge to Yao. Dwight has no offensive game except for the dunk and his free throws well you know how bad that is.
So once Dwight is able to expand his offensive arsenal and his free throws and handling double teams then Dwight will indeed be one of the premier centers in the league.
If he doesn't improve then where are the Magic. Just don't want to think about that.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#32 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 pm

cougar13 wrote:So are we comparing Dwight to all of the centers in the league or just Yao. If it's just Yao then Dwight is equal because he is able to stay healthly, overall skills right now I give the edge to Yao. Dwight has no offensive game except for the dunk and his free throws well you know how bad that is.
So once Dwight is able to expand his offensive arsenal and his free throws and handling double teams then Dwight will indeed be one of the premier centers in the league.
If he doesn't improve then where are the Magic. Just don't want to think about that.

Dwight is already among the premier centers in the game, and argubably the best center. I dont think some people realize how good Dwight is already. To say that he has no offensive game is incorrect. He does not have fancy moves or jump shots but so what, its been effective. He does have a lot of room for improvment though thats for sure.
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#33 » by craig01 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Yao is more skilled and certainly more consistent offensively, but I'd take Howard right now....by a hair.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#34 » by EasternMagic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:33 pm

cougar13 wrote:So are we comparing Dwight to all of the centers in the league or just Yao. If it's just Yao then Dwight is equal because he is able to stay healthly, overall skills right now I give the edge to Yao. Dwight has no offensive game except for the dunk and his free throws well you know how bad that is.

This coming from somebody who would rather have JJ Redick as a center....jk... How can you say he has no offensive game??? For a C he's offensive game is pretty damn good. But i can see where you're coming from if a player averages 21 points a game he must not have an offensive game at all...
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,628

Post#35 » by SOUL » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd like to know who these premier centers are that Dwight isnt on the level of, yet.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#36 » by Versubio » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 pm

EasternMagic wrote:

This coming from somebody who would rather have JJ Redick as a center....jk... How can you say he has no offensive game??? For a C he's offensive game is pretty damn good. But i can see where you're coming from if a player averages 21 points a game he must not have an offensive game at all...

Hmmm, so that's why Otis is keepin Redick... :dontknow:
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#37 » by MitchellUK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 pm

prorl wrote:

Dwight is already among the premier centers in the game, and argubably the best center. I dont think some people realize how good Dwight is already. To say that he has no offensive game is incorrect. He does not have fancy moves or jump shots but so what, its been effective. He does have a lot of room for improvment though thats for sure.

Very true. Most of his game revolves around overpowering his opponent, and put backs, but last season he displayed some nice drop steps, baseline spin moves, and little hook shots. His repertoire is still very much reliant on him being a physical beast, but he's certainly shown signs of developing a finesse game.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#38 » by Versubio » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
prorl wrote:

Very true. Most of his game revolves around overpowering his opponent, and put backs, but last season he displayed some nice drop steps, baseline spin moves, and little hook shots. His repertoire is still very much reliant on him being a physical beast, but he's certainly shown signs of developing a finesse game.

Yeah, he'll get there eventually. Big men take time to develop.
ClutchCityOwns
Banned User

Post#39 » by ClutchCityOwns » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Yao < Dwight
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#40 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm

DreamYaoTmac5 wrote:Yao < Dwight

Fail.

Return to Orlando Magic