ImageImageImageImage

Oden VS Howard ??

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who is better equipped to push the other around (stronger)

Dwight Howard
65%
Greg Oden
35%

Total votes: 43

yoyo65
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Oden VS Howard ?? 

Post#61 » by yoyo65 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 pm

so many players come up in the draft that that everyone thinks is going tp tear up the nba they are a top 10 draft choice hell even #1 picks have even floped in and out of the nba hell look at our jj with his play in collage you would think he would start on any team but he is lucky that the coach lets him put on his uni every needs to wait oden is not going to be playing agnst farm boys and city kids working there way through collage i hope he does good but hell he is no nba player yet 8-)
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by thegreatblaze » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:
Oden at worst will be Okafor+Al horford combo.

Fixed.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#63 » by magicman123 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:48 pm

we can debate all day, but we all know jj redick is stronger then oden, cant aruge that
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#64 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Dome wrote:
theTHIEF wrote:these threads are totally ridiculous...and after months and months of hearing about this famed goliath Oden, it's just like, man, why is this still going on? people cannot seriously still be trying to legitimately compare a draft pick to a player, can they? and then strength, based on Channing Frye's totally unbiased comments in a newspaper...and least we forget the epic "i saw pictures, he's definitely shorter" line used...

does carrying on this "no way, my player is better" conversation yield any results, ever? Oden is 7'forever and bench presses a car on top of a house...Dwight is stronger than every basketball player combined in the game...now what...

thanks for the support though Dome...

I definitely understand your frustration, don't get me wrong. In discussions like these where both sides arguably have biased opinions due to their fanship, I don't think there is such a thing as a right or wrong, which is why I'd like to stay open to someone elses opinion as well. The fact that just about every Blazers poster on RealGM seems to think Oden is stronger and that just about every Magic poster seems to think Dwight is stronger points out the same thing.

I definitely agree with you that I feel Dwight is stronger until proven otherwise. I was just a bit surprised by your reactions to Wizenheimer, who was actually making fair points IMO. Big part of the reason I'm probably more active on the Blazers board than on the Magic board at this point (other than my enjoyment of watching the Blazers' team shape up in a way I like a lot offcourse) is that I feel the quality of the posters there is very good. Wizenheimer is one of the regulars there whose posts I usually enjoy and that I think brings good discussion. From your reactions to his posts, I got the impression you thought of him as just another troll, which I didn't think was fair. Next time a Lakers fan comes by to discuss Bynum vs. Dwight I've got your back though, don't worry. ;)

thanks Dome. I certainly didn't intend to start a food fight. And I haven't here or in the blazers forum implied that Oden is a "goliath". I've actually been one of the least optimistic blazer posters about expectations for Oden next season.

All I've dome here is argue that the the 'Dwight is stronger then Oden assumption' is not a slam dunk.
I've even said that the advantages DH has in physical maturity and experience would probably tip the scales in his favor at present. Channing Frye has said the same thing about Oden's strength that Pryzbilla has said and that Nate McMillan has said. Yes, they could all be biased in favor of their teammate, but at least it is some indication that Oden may be stronger then average.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#65 » by Last Guardian » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Dwight is legit 6'11 in shoes. Oden may be 7'1 in shoes, good for him. I guarantee you his wingspan is nothing compared to Dwight, and thats where it counts.

As far as strength, no contest. Blazers fans are confusing weight and strength. Oden is a heavy guy but he doesn't have near the muscle mass Dwight does. Put them in the gym and Dwight will own him.

When it comes to post play though, weight has always bothered Dwight. Height doesn't bother him, length doesn't bother him.....but put a guy who weighs a lot on him and he struggles. Haywood, Perkins, Pryzbilla, Shaq, Yao.....and Oden will probably be in that category. This will be a problem for Dwight until he develops some moves, like a pump fake for starters.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#66 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Solid Snake wrote:Dwight is legit 6'11 in shoes. Oden may be 7'1 in shoes, good for him. I guarantee you his wingspan is nothing compared to Dwight, and thats where it counts.

As far as strength, no contest. Blazers fans are confusing weight and strength. Oden is a heavy guy but he doesn't have near the muscle mass Dwight does. Put them in the gym and Dwight will own him.

When it comes to post play though, weight has always bothered Dwight. Height doesn't bother him, length doesn't bother him.....but put a guy who weighs a lot on him and he struggles. Haywood, Perkins, Pryzbilla, Shaq, Yao.....and Oden will probably be in that category. This will be a problem for Dwight until he develops some moves, like a pump fake for starters.

uhh..oden has more muscle..he's been in the gym for 12 months straight.
Work Hard
DaBulls_91
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#67 » by DaBulls_91 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:20 pm

theTHIEF wrote:P.S. I weigh just a hair over 230lbs right this moment which is clearly less than Oden's supposed 280lbs, and I can throw up over 420lbs on the standard bench...I bet my house that Oden cannot do that, explain that one...weight doesn't have jack to do with strength..

yeah but you are what 5'6''?
CourtsideTV
RealGM

Post#68 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:29 pm

DaBulls_91 wrote:
theTHIEF wrote:P.S. I weigh just a hair over 230lbs right this moment which is clearly less than Oden's supposed 280lbs, and I can throw up over 420lbs on the standard bench...I bet my house that Oden cannot do that, explain that one...weight doesn't have jack to do with strength..

theTHIEF wrote:of all the things you can pick out in my post...wow...

idk, someone above said 7'2" I ran with it...Muscle weighs a lot? how poignant, read that in a book somewhere? There is no doubt that Oden is taller than me, but not by a foot, an inch or 2 at the most, I myself am 7' in big enough shoes...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

owned
Work Hard
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#69 » by MitchellUK » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:34 pm

DaBulls_91 wrote:

Pretty certain Thief is close to 7'0. And he is also absolutely right - strength is not a guaranteed byproduct of size or weight. I doubt that Oden, coming off a year of rehabbing a serious injury, and also being younger than Dwight and having spent significantly less time on a legit NBA training schedule, is anywhere close to as strong as Howard - yet. That isn't to say that a couple of years of work could see him come close to what we see from Howard now, but people also need to remember that as a physical specimen, D12 is something of a freak. The NBA is full of elite athletes, guys whose strength, speed, power and stamina is way above that of regular human beings and most other pro athletes, and Howard manhandles these guys on a daily basis.

Either way, if Oden doesn't end up being as strong or powerful as Howard, that's hardly an issue, it's simply relative - are people actually going to stand up and say that 1997 Alonzo Mourning was weak because Shaq was stronger? No.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#70 » by drsd » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Five pages of confusion.

My question is always: what player between X and Y helps a team win games? Here, the answer for the 2008-09 season is VERY simple: Howard. Howard is at age 22 a "seasoned" NBA vet. Oden is a rookie. No brainer!

In five years ...... nobody can predict that future!
CourtsideTV
RealGM

Post#71 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 pm

lol @ the max potential thread on the blazers boards..They are sounding like Magic homers when we thought dwight would be 30/15/4 player..

that aint happening....for either player..
Work Hard
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#72 » by damo[23] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm

drsd wrote:Five pages of confusion.

My question is always: what player between X and Y helps a team win games? Here, the answer for the 2008-09 season is VERY simple: Howard. Howard is at age 22 a "seasoned" NBA vet. Oden is a rookie. No brainer!

In five years ...... nobody can predict that future!

I can. In five years Oden will be in a old peoples home calling his Grandson Eric "Steve".
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#73 » by dagger » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:48 am

I wonder which of Bynum, Howard and Oden has the highest basketball IQ. All three look like they took remedial reading.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#74 » by theTHIEF » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 am

what does remedial reading have to do with basketball IQ?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#75 » by SOUL » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:52 am

yeah theres something wrong with them, they dont take jumpshots like Raptors centers

Return to Orlando Magic