ImageImageImageImage

Don't tell me that... [DELFINO vs. PIETRUS]

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

mrtcsm
Rookie
And1: 105

Don't tell me that... [DELFINO vs. PIETRUS] 

Post#1 » by mrtcsm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:03 am

... after watching the Olympics you wouldn't have liked to have Carlos Delfino as our starting SG for next season instead of Mickael Pietrus. I think Delfino would have taken a similar deal to the one we gave MP and IMO Carlos is a much better all around player. Delfino has a very high basketball IQ though he seems to lack energy at times. Pietrus is very energetic but has showed to have a low basketball IQ. Delfino can put the ball on the floor, make jumpers all around the court, and drive to the basket. Also ocassionally, if needed he can work his way as backup PG. In the low side, Delfino is a little streaky at times. In the other hand Pietrus is a pretty good defender, decent spot-up shooter, very fast and jumps off the building. He has not shown consistency in his game though his playing minutes has been inconsitent as well. Hmmmm, I would take Delfino. What YoU guys think?!?!?!?!?!

Title edited for clarity. ~SSMM
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,576

Re: Don't tell me that... 

Post#2 » by SOUL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:05 am

Delfino = Mo Evans

If Pietrus can put together his BBALL IQ + solid D already its a steal.. if not at least we still got a good defender which we need since we have a lot of offensive weapons
mrtcsm
Rookie

Post#3 » by mrtcsm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:17 am

Soul wrote:Pietrus = Mo Evans + better defense

...fixed

Delfino is a much better player than Evans and Pietrus. He is a more complete player. He can play off the ball, spot-up for jumpers, put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket, lead plays... he is the next Ginobili... You'll see.... He'll be back in the NBA pretty soon; I hope. He is still very young (25) and I think he really is NBA starter material.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,576

Post#4 » by SOUL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 am

mrtcsm wrote:
Soul wrote:Pietrus = Mo Evans + better defense

...fixed

Delfino is a much better player than Evans and Pietrus. He is a more complete player. He can play off the ball, spot-up for jumpers, put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket, lead plays... he is the next Ginobili... You'll see.... He'll be back in the NBA pretty soon; I hope. He is still very young (25) and I think he really is NBA starter material.

i never said hes a bad player, just a redundant one for us as far as SG's goes.. all of our SG's are pretty good shooters, kinda crappy at defense because they are small.. pietrus has size and while he isnt the best offensively he can always get better

if i can take delfino as a backup over JJ or something I would though.. not as a starter
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#5 » by EasternMagic » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:08 am

no way no way no way no way no way no way no way no way no way
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#6 » by TheGlyde » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:14 am

Carlos Arroyo is a stud in international ball too, often doesn't translate to the NBA.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
mrtcsm
Rookie

Post#7 » by mrtcsm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 am

TheGlyde wrote:Carlos Arroyo is a stud in international ball too, often doesn't translate to the NBA.

I'll give you that. However, Delfino looks like he needs consistent minutes and a starting role to put up his numbers. I will be tracking down his stats this season in Europe, and even though I know these don't translate to NBA numbers, I know many other GMers will be watching closely as well.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#8 » by FFBlitzace » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:18 am

He earned his nickname Chuckfino for a very good reason.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#9 » by damo[23] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Never been that impressed with Delfino, and he got a ton of cash from Europe, nearly twice what we could give with the MLE, and MLE imo would have been over paying anyway.

So no.

Dwight didnt look that good in the Olympics, maybe he really sucks.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#10 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:23 pm

I've always thought Delfino has a lot of potential if he ever found the right "role".

Given that, I don't think he's of a starters quaility.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#11 » by theTHIEF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 pm

no...

Delfino is a gifted offensive player, he goes pretty hard to the basket which is impressive for a player like him, he's a fairly good shooter when he's on and he's pretty mobile...however more often than not he (and his team) will suffer mental lapses and he often turns the ball over, takes an ill shot, drives to the lane with 5 opposing defenders set...he's not very athletic and he's not a defender period...not what Orlando needed....
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Re: Don't tell me that... [DELFINO vs. PIETRUS] 

Post#12 » by Def Swami » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Our team was looking for defense at SG. Delfino is a horrible defender. For the role, MP is better.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#13 » by damo[23] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Funny you should say that Jay, cos sometimes I think Delfino is quite like Arroyo at times, he likes to take control of the ball, get shots up early, almost seems like he forgets he's part of a team and he's the bee's knee's, not some 7th man off the bench.
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#14 » by laVal03 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:40 pm

TheGlyde wrote:Carlos Arroyo is a stud in international ball too, often doesn't translate to the NBA.

you beat me to it Glyde, its a totally different style of play that guys like delfino and arroyo strive in.

NO WAY would I want Delfino over Pietrus, especially as our starter.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#15 » by drsd » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Blah, blah, blah ...

... Nelson ...

... blah, blah, blah .
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#16 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Delfino is just not the type of SG we needed. We needed an athletic, defensive 2 guard and I think we got that in MP. We will just have to see how it plays out but I definitely think Pietrus>>>Delfino aka Chuckfino lol.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#17 » by trebone » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:00 pm

it is kinda a toss up for me neither one has really done anything productive in the nba
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#18 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:20 pm

mrtcsm wrote:... after watching the Olympics you wouldn't have liked to have Carlos Delfino as our starting SG for next season instead of Mickael Pietrus. I think Delfino would have taken a similar deal to the one we gave MP and IMO Carlos is a much better all around player. Delfino has a very high basketball IQ though he seems to lack energy at times. Pietrus is very energetic but has showed to have a low basketball IQ. Delfino can put the ball on the floor, make jumpers all around the court, and drive to the basket. Also ocassionally, if needed he can work his way as backup PG. In the low side, Delfino is a little streaky at times. In the other hand Pietrus is a pretty good defender, decent spot-up shooter, very fast and jumps off the building. He has not shown consistency in his game though his playing minutes has been inconsitent as well. Hmmmm, I would take Delfino. What YoU guys think?!?!?!?!?!

Title edited for clarity. ~SSMM

You do know that Delfino signed in Russia for alot more than what we signed Pietrus for right? In the NBA Pietrus has been more productive than Delfino. You cant use what he does in international ball to analyze him since its a different style. Arroyo is great in international ball but hasent been the same in the NBA. And Howard is not as effective in international ball as he is in the NBA.
aka: prorl
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#19 » by aleZ » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:22 pm

mrtcsm wrote:Delfino is a much better player than Evans and Pietrus. He is a more complete player. He can play off the ball, spot-up for jumpers, put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket, lead plays... he is the next Ginobili... You'll see....

You sound like a homer, not a good sign when you start threads with a pic of your fave player in his classic "1 in 30" good games. I know Delfino since his early days playing in Italy and he hasn't changed one bit: great talent, extreme lack of consistency and basketball IQ. Plus he's far better in FIBA games, his olympics performance don't mean jack for the US.

I'd take Pietrus and his patented "step out of bounds" move any day, thank you
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#20 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Delfino will never shoot a better percentage in his life than his past few games he played.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379

Return to Orlando Magic