ImageImageImageImage

SI Southeast division offseason grade

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,167

SI Southeast division offseason grade 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Sep 3, 2008 2:55 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ard/1.html

Orlando Magic
What went right:

Mickael Pietrus signed

One of the few Warriors to flash an interest in playing defense, Pietrus soon found himself fighting for minutes with Don Nelson's Warriors. Now in the land of no state income taxes and playing for a coach who appreciates defense as much as Nelson ignores it, Pietrus not only will help the Magic chase the LeBrons and Paul Pierces, but also help space the floor for Dwight Howard, courtesy of a respectable 35 percent stroke from three.

They made a sensible draft pick

Maurice Evans, Keith Bogans and J.J. Reddick are no way to stock a shooting guard position. Likely starter Pietrus and rookie Courtney Lee are a lot closer to what a conference contender such as the Magic needs. While the former Warrior will handle the heavy lifting, Lee promises to star off a thin magic bench with a shooting stroke that was accurate from long range 40 percent of the time as a senior with Western Kentucky.

Dwight Howard went to school

Credit coach Stan Van Gundy for not genuflecting last season before his franchise center, who was sent to the bench after making a sharp comment to Van Gundy late in a loss to the Cavs. "His focus is on the offensive end," Van Gundy said to reporters after the game. "He gets discouraged when he doesn't get the ball. I think the numbers prove that what we need him to focus on to win is defensive rebounding, but that's not what he wants to do right now and we've got a little bit of a conflict." Howard's summer in Beijing soaking up the lessons of team-first preaching of Coach K and sharing the ball with his Team USA mates should reinforce Van Gundy's lesson.

What went wrong:

Jameer Nelson is still the point guard

Yes, he may be a good guy, and yes, he may organize offseason workouts, but good intentions don't necessarily equal good production. And after four years in the league, Nelson has yet to provide consistent play at the point. One night Nelson is connecting on six of his 10 shots; the next he is missing 10-of-11. As anyone without a LeBron James or Kobe Bryant can attest, you can't win without consistent play from the quarterback.

Where's the beef?

The ranks are dangerously thin behind Howard. Tony Battie missed all of last season after rotator cuff surgery. Adonal Foyle might as well have embarked on his future political career for all the help his two points and three rebounds a night has provided the last two seasons. And Brian Cook is, well, Brian Cook. Those aren't the types of safety valves that will let Van Gundy sleep well at night or give Howard much of a breather.

The East reloaded

With Jermaine O'Neal partnering with Chris Bosh in Toronto, and Elton Brand providing a low-post complement to Philly's athletic slashers, playoff seeds in the East will not be so easy to secure. And for those who do garner them, those cushy first-round matchups against .500 or worse teams are long gone. Getting into the postseason shouldn't be a problem for a team that won 52 games last year; getting past the first round might be.

Grade: B-

Quietly adding Pietrus should pay off in numerous ways this fall on both ends of the floor while expanding a talent base that needed growth. But this team is still missing one major piece to tie an Eastern Conference title together. There isn't a lot of fat on the roster to make it happen through trade, so unless someone gets desperate at the trade deadline, the Magic may have done little but secure another 52-win campaign.

Orlando: B minus.
Charlotte: B
Washington: C
Atlanta: C minus
Miami: D
aka: prorl
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Re: SI Southeast division offseason grade 

Post#2 » by theTHIEF » Wed Sep 3, 2008 3:00 pm

this guy sucks...

Miami with a D? they have had one of the better off seasons IMO in terms of restructuring and securing talent...

for the Magic I pretty much agree...not ready to knock Jameer yet, I will wait until this season is halfway or so...I am really hoping for him to carry over his playoff game into the season...if we can get Raptors series Jameer, we're set...if not...well...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#3 » by drsd » Wed Sep 3, 2008 3:15 pm

Well, I laughed a bit.

I wonder if SI thinks the baby-cats will win the South East???

What I agree on is that Pietrus' defense will look ace next to Nelson's offense.
drsd
RealGM

Post#4 » by drsd » Wed Sep 3, 2008 3:22 pm

What a photo!!!!

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Sep 3, 2008 3:27 pm

Everyone keeps forgetting Gortat, kid will really make a difference in the front court.

I'm sure we all are begging for Jameer to have a great season filled with consistency so he can quiet the doubters. I think he'll accomplish it this season as he continues to grow his leadership role.

I think the grade is still fair, overall.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#6 » by EasternMagic » Wed Sep 3, 2008 4:18 pm

theTHIEF wrote:this guy sucks...

Miami with a D? they have had one of the better off seasons IMO in terms of restructuring and securing talent...

for the Magic I pretty much agree...not ready to knock Jameer yet, I will wait until this season is halfway or so...I am really hoping for him to carry over his playoff game into the season...if we can get Raptors series Jameer, we're set...if not...well...

Ya lol how does Miami get a D... if Meer can be the same player he was in the playoffs he will be legit
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#7 » by MagicMadness » Wed Sep 3, 2008 4:49 pm

I only have two problems with the assessment:

1. Nelson really isn't as bad as so many people make him out to be (he quietly put together one of his best seasons last year - his assists total went up, along with his shooting percentages and most other categories outside of PPG). His overall play during the postseason gives me hope that he will continue in that direction.

2. Why does everyone outside of our fanbase seem to forget about Gortat? Dude came out of nowhere towards the end of the season and brings energy, hustle, and hard-nosed play to the table.

Other than that, the review is pretty spot on, IMO.
Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Force9024 » Wed Sep 3, 2008 4:50 pm

To be a 100% honest, last season when SVG came in, he said the only two lock starters were Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis. Keyon Dooling and Carlos Arroyo came into camp and showed flashes every now and again of being a reliable starter. Than comes the season Arroyo had few good games, mostly chucking shots, Dooling did what he did best and became a solid defender but still, not a point guard. Finally Nelson, a guy who showed up nice in the playoffs but was inconsistent during the season. I think he struggled some with minor injuries last year which might of kept him inconsistent, But ALSO I believe he was feeling heavy competition which might of made him try to do more than his skills can do. Now he can be relaxed he's got a secure starting position with Anthony Johnson knowing he was going to be the backup. I too will give Nelson this season to prove what he can do. He will have a better starting SG next to him, He will still have Hedo, Rashard will be more comfortable, and Dwight Howard will be seasoned another year, with his big Gold Medal victory still being in his head.

In my opinion it's a make or break year for Nelson. Especially when team chemistry will be there.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,026

Post#9 » by Driguez » Wed Sep 3, 2008 5:14 pm

Im sorry guys.. But why every one but orlando magic fans fail to realize Nelson is not that good of a player... Yeah sure if he COULD do what he did on the post season... Sure would be better, however its true, Nelson its been in the league for 4 years, 4 and i have to agree, yet to see any consistency from him. We need a better PG point blank, he is not a starter for a franchise chasing a ring. So what if he is a good guy / good teammate? He could be just as good of a guy for the team as a back up... Good guy does not equal W's...
Huevos Bancheros
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#10 » by MagicMadness » Wed Sep 3, 2008 5:30 pm

Personally, I feel like he's an above-average PG.

We could definitely upgrade at the position, but at the same time, he is too often made the scapegoat. Last year, the team asked him to become more of a passer and less of a shooter - and he did it. His scoring went down, and his assists went up. I think we'll continue to see that from him as he becomes more accustomed with the role of being a true PG.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#11 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Sep 3, 2008 5:38 pm

^^^Good point on the last paragraph. Glad Jameer could turn on the scoring the playoffs.

Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#12 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Sep 3, 2008 5:50 pm

I do think that a big part of Jameer's inconsistancy in the past season was his injuries. He was hurt there for a while in December/January. I also agree that Jameer takes on too much blame. Sure he is not a pass first PG but do we really need one? Sure it would be nice to have a player like that but i think Jameer is adequate. Jameer has become more efficient in scoring and passing.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#13 » by Gerhalt11 » Wed Sep 3, 2008 5:58 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Everyone keeps forgetting Gortat, kid will really make a difference in the front court.

I'm sure we all are begging for Jameer to have a great season filled with consistency so he can quiet the doubters. I think he'll accomplish it this season as he continues to grow his leadership role.

Did Gortat play for Poland in any pre-Olympic games? I know they didn't make the bracket, but wasn't sure if they played any warm up games against any of the Olympic-bound teams.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Sep 3, 2008 6:05 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Everyone keeps forgetting Gortat, kid will really make a difference in the front court.

Did Gortat play for Poland in any pre-Olympic games? I know they didn't make the bracket, but wasn't sure if they played any warm up games against any of the Olympic-bound teams.

He did and he dominated with reckless abandon as expected.

Battie returning and Gortat improving should help in the big man muscle department.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#15 » by EasternMagic » Wed Sep 3, 2008 6:15 pm

let them sleep on Gortat when he awakens the pain he will inflict on them will be unbearable
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,586

Post#16 » by SOUL » Wed Sep 3, 2008 6:37 pm

lol a couple of points i actually wanted gortat in because of dwight, no lie!
drsd
RealGM

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed Sep 3, 2008 8:40 pm

MagicMadness wrote:INelson really isn't as bad as so many people make him out to be (he quietly put together one of his best seasons last year - his assists total went up, along with his shooting percentages and most other categories outside of PPG). His overall play during the postseason gives me hope that he will continue in that direction.

Force9024 wrote:In my opinion it's a make or break year for Nelson. Especially when team chemistry will be there.

Driguez wrote:Im sorry guys.. But why every one but orlando magic fans fail to realize Nelson is not that good of a player... Yeah sure if he COULD do what he did on the post season... Sure would be better, however its true, Nelson its been in the league for 4 years, 4 and i have to agree, yet to see any consistency from him. We need a better PG point blank, he is not a starter for a franchise chasing a ring. So what if he is a good guy / good teammate? He could be just as good of a guy for the team as a back up... Good guy does not equal W's...

MagicMadness wrote:Personally, I feel like he's an above-average PG.

We could definitely upgrade at the position, but at the same time, he is too often made the scapegoat. Last year, the team asked him to become more of a passer and less of a shooter - and he did it. His scoring went down, and his assists went up. I think we'll continue to see that from him as he becomes more accustomed with the role of being a true PG.

Statistically, Nelson is ranked around the 16-18 best as a PG in the NBA. So, he an "average" NBA starter at the PG slot. That means two things. i) He's clearly, and unquestionably a starter for Orlando. And ii) given that there about 100 PGs in the NBA, being the ~17th best PG mens that Nelson is without question in the top 20% at the most important position of the most talented basketball league in the world.

Jameer Nelson is one of the best 100 basketball players in the world! This is out of the some 6 billion people that inhabit our space.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:27 pm

It's a pretty fair grade. A lot of people dont know about Gortat yet, but theyll get to know him in due time. As for Jameer, SI's assessment is fair. He hasnt been the best PG, but that hasnt been entirely his fault. As a PG, he needs a set offense to work under. When he came in the league, Brian Hill didnt give him anything to work with. Last year was Jameers first year in an offense, kudos SVG. Now that he doesnt have to worry about losing his starting position, he can claim this team as his, like QBs do. He'll flourish in this offense this year, but based on past performances and injuries, you cant knock SI's critical review from the outside.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#19 » by damo[23] » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:36 pm

If Nelson can do what he did in the Toronto series all year, then we have a winner, but I think overall the team is alot better, not to mention deeper, I think most if not all our rotations are stronger this season.

Return to Orlando Magic