ImageImageImageImage

SVG's radio show to make season debut Tuesday

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

SVG's radio show to make season debut Tuesday 

Post#1 » by lovehoops01 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:40 am

I heard on 540 AM today that the first Stan Van Gundy show of the season will be tomorrow night. I didn't hear a time, but it's been 6 p.m. in the past. Usually, he ends up having one about every other week. They try to have them on Tuesdays, but of course, they don't have them on game nights or when the Magic are on a road trip. Sometimes they end up being on Wednesdays or Thursdays instead.

For those of you who never have heard this show, Dennis Neumann (the play-by-play radio guy) introduces the coach and goes over some of the latest developments. Then they open the phones for fans to call in and ask questions. If they don't, then Dennis asks him a bunch of questions.

By the way, if you call in and ask him if they should trade Hedo for "fill in the blank,'' expect him to sound very impatient and explain why that would not be a good idea. That exchange already happened last season.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Re: SVG's radio show to make season debut Tuesday 

Post#2 » by NEM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 am

thanks for the heads up hoops. i'll definitely have to check it out tomorrow
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#3 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:30 pm

It's a good show when there are not too many dumba**es calling in.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,245

Post#4 » by eyriq » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I really enjoy getting insight from the coach.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#5 » by TheRevTy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 am

Anyone catch this?
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#6 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 am

I listened, but I'm not sure anyone else did. They didn't get a single phone call. The show has been shortened to 30 minutes this season, probably because they didn't get a ton of calls last season. I guess they figure there is no use wasting Stan's time if the fans don't care enough to call. (Personally, I wonder, though, if people ever can figure out where it is and when it's on since they skip weeks and the days of the week change. It used to be easy to know where to listen when all the shows were on one station, but now they are all on three different stations -- only one of which is a sports station.)

Dennis didn't ask him about anything that hasn't been talked about at least a little in the media.

You're going to laugh, but Stan said, "I like our team.'' LOL....That's not all he said, but I laughed when he said it. He said he liked them in terms of how hard they work at practice and that they came into camp in shape and prepared and focused and intense. He said that Dwight has a more serious approach this season and that it's really making a difference in his teammates' approach, too. He said Rashard is taking a much more vocal role this season, too, as well as a more aggressive role on the court.

Dennis asked Stan about the health of Jameer and Tony, and Stan said they were resting more as a precaution. He said Jameer went through a full 3-1/2-hour practice on Tuesday and looked fine. He said that Tony is progressing but that the injury is painful for him.

Dennis also asked what issues were out there that were still unsettled for this season, since they have so many guys back. He said the shooting guard situation, that Pietrus likely would start. He said J.J. had played the second-best so far and that they already know what Keth can do over the course of a season. He said getting all four shooting guards consistent minutes definitely was something they have not figured out a way to do and likely would not be able to do.

They talked a little about the schedule and Stan said they have a more balanced schedule this season in terms of road and away games in individual months. He said he didn't think that was a big factor anyway -- that they would have to play 41 at home and 41 on the road no matter what. He said what really contributed to their strong season last year was their great start, especially on the road. About Thursday's morning game, he said he couldn't remember the last time he coached a game in the morning.

He also said the backup big situation was unsettled because Tony is out with the bad hand and that none of the other guys have been consistent yet. He said he really hopes to get Tony back by the weekend just so he has his timing when the season starts, that he started to get it back in the second game but then got hurt after that. He said it was a freak injury, that they just were running a dummy offense and he caught the ball awkwardly. He specifically said that Dwayne Jones is rebounding really well for them and that that was something they really needed so that could help him. He said Jones dominated the boards at practice on Tuesday.

Dennis asked him specifically about Courtney Lee. He said he's doing really well and that the sky is the limit for him. He said he already has shown them he can defend and create his own shot against anyone. He also said the four-year guys understand what's going on and are more mature, like Jameer was when he got here, and that he really likes that.

He said he likes Anthony Johnson's size to use when they need it against the bigger guys. Said he is good at organizing the team and makes the right decision all the time.

About having 16 guys, Stan says they all have played very well and that they won't make a roster decision until they have to at the end. He said they all bring something to the table and it would be hard to cut any of them. He said it's possible they could carry 15 players this season.

They talked about getting better starts in the third quarter, which he said was a problem last year too. He said the coaches are trying to get them out of the locker room quicker to try to help with that in hopes of improving their focus at the start of the second half. But he said that they are doing a much better job this season of starting games really well.

They talked about how much the Eastern Conference had improved and said health will be a big factor.

Not that you guys will care about this probably, but they talked a little baseball playoffs since Stan is such a big baseball fan. He said it would be really cool to see a low payroll team like the Rays make it to the World Series in a sport that doesn't have a salary cap.

That's pretty much it. Twardzik was on 1080 earlier in the evening. They talked about many of the same issues.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#7 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks for the recap lovehoops. And I have to agree that how are fans supposed to listen to this show? They don't make a good effort at letting people know when and where its being broadcasted. Sounds like he likes Jones a lot.
aka: prorl
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#8 » by Last Guardian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Waive Foyle (did we even sign him yet?) and sign Jones.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#9 » by theTHIEF » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 pm

no...

keep Foyle, sign Jones, trade Cook+____

Jones will be a big asset for us if he can get Cook minutes...Foyle will be helpful for certain match ups...
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#10 » by TheRevTy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm

When we signed Dwayne Jones for camp, I thought it was huge, yet nobody seemed to care.

Jeremy Richardson was a good addition for camp, too. Certainly better than past camp fodder.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#11 » by theTHIEF » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:29 pm

I cared...I was looking at trying to nab him or Cedric Simmons from Chicago somehow all last season, both players are pretty similar...
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#12 » by TheRevTy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:53 pm

OK, Thief. Let's hear it. Fix the Magic.

Who should we deal, for whom, and who gets minutes.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#13 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 pm

thanks hoops for the recap,

by the way, what are the 3 different stations that they are on:

1. I know one is 1080 espn radio, what are ?

thanks

TheRevTy wrote:When we signed Dwayne Jones for camp, I thought it was huge, yet nobody seemed to care.
Jeremy Richardson was a good addition for camp, too. Certainly better than past camp fodder.

not that it matters, but I thought he might be a keeper, in that thread I posted this

I like Jones. If he makes the team, he's the perfect hustle big for spot minutes.

Another good thing is he was college teammates with our very own JAMEER NELSON!!!

good stuff, he may not be better than augustine, but I think he can be a descent practice big and be able to fill in for spot duties.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#14 » by magicmamma » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Wow, Lovehoops, did you take notes or record? I also caught this one, but have had a lot of trouble figuring out when and where to listen. I had a few points that I thought I would add if you overlooked them, but you covered everything!
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#15 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 pm

No, I didn't take notes or anything. I have a pretty good memory, and since I piped up and mentioned that the show would be on, I figured someone might ask me what he said. So I tried to take good mental notes. Plus, a lot of the topics were things we had discussed so I was interested in what he had to say. It's easier to remember, too, when the show is only a half hour as opposed to an hour because there aren't as many different topics.

As to the question of radio shows....1080 has a show at about 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays when different people come on. Those broadcasts started last week, and so far they have had David Steele, Anthony Johnson, Richie Adubato, Nick Anderson and Dave Twardzik on.

540 has Stan's show at 6 p.m. It moved there last year after 740 changed programming. They usually try to broadcast it at least every other week (if the Magic are at home and not playing) on Tuesdays or Thursdays, depending on the Magic schedule. They did have some of his shows on Mondays and Wednesdays last season, though, maybe because of their schedule. Otis usually was on for a segment once a week with Dan Sileo (540) between 8 and 9 a.m. Thursdays last season, too, but I don't know yet whether that is going to continue.

Then there are the games and pregame/postgame shows on 580. I like the postgame shows because they always have most of Stan's postgame news conference, and they usually talk to some players in the locker room. Even on the road, they usually try to get a player (though sometimes it's an opponent if the Magic have a former player on that team or the Magic get beat badly) after the game. That is my favorite part, except for Stan.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,515

Post#16 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I usually listen to this on ipod podcast. I hope they have a download for this again.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Go to the Magic homepage to listen to the show.
aka: prorl
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#18 » by mhectorgato » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 pm

prorl wrote:Go to the Magic homepage to listen to the show.

Is it a really big show?

*wonders how many will actually get the reference - craig, mamma, ?*
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#19 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:30 pm

patrick and olbermann?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#20 » by mhectorgato » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:59 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:patrick and olbermann?

Got to go back in time quite a bit further.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic