ImageImageImageImage

OT: Sports Management Degrees

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

OT: Sports Management Degrees 

Post#1 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm getting ready to start deciding on where to go to college and what to do. I was just wondering if anyone has or knows someone who has a sports management degree. I want to go to college to get one and I just thought I would ask if you guys know the opportunities right out of college in terms of jobs and amount of money you will make. I have always wanted to work in sports and I just want to know what realistic opportunities are out there straight out of college. I'm going to apply to UF, UNF, UCF, UGA, and Clemson. It's a big decision and I would appreciate if anyone could give me some extra info. Thanks.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Re: OT: Sports Management Degrees 

Post#2 » by N4U|Redux » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Uh, wtf is UNF doing with the rest of those schools on our list? Take them off unless they're near home or something.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by EasternMagic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I think of the schools on your list, in terms of the best programs for the major, go:
Clemson
UGA
UF
UCF
and UNF just doesnt count... they are a big nursing school

anyways the first four, as far as i know, all have pretty good programs, some of the best in the country. At least you arent considering USF good choice.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#4 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Well Rich DeVos finances the program at UCF so there's at least a slim chance that there may a future Magic hookup. It's a pretty young but fun program as they have some strong WNBA ties already. It's already very competitive to nab one of their scholarships. So if you're up for the challenge, give the Knights a try.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#5 » by Bensational » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:45 am

N4U|Redux wrote:Uh, wtf is UNF doing with the rest of those schools on our list? Take them off unless they're near home or something.

LOL!!! you got a vested interest in this kid's education or something N4U? is he your son?
recko321
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#6 » by recko321 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 pm

I currently go to UF right now and i am trying to transfer into the Sports Managment degree. I have a couple of friends who are in the college and they cant quit talking about it. One of them actually works with the football team with the wide recievers core and he always talks about the hook ups he can get with internships. He says its really easy to find an internship because of our sports programs, Especially Under Armor because there trying with everything they got to try to sponsor the sports programs at UF. I actually have a meeting with the advisor of the Sports Managment department thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck to me and to you.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#7 » by trebone » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:41 pm

The UCF program is good and you can have a good shot landing something with the magic as was stated above
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
And1: 98

Post#8 » by Hotshot Hower » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Stetson has an awesome B/A Sports Mgmt. Program. (hence George Gallante)

Stetson also deals directly with the Orlando Magic with there internship(s).
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#9 » by EasternMagic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:54 pm

you have to get accepted into the UCF program correct? Does anyone here know the specific requirements you must meet?
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by magicfanatic23 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info. Isn't UCF a masters degree only though? I'm not sure but I think I'm going to go somewhere to get a bachelor's degree for it and then maybe after get a masters.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#11 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm

^ realize there's also some bias here about UCF btw, lol.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#12 » by ORL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Sports Management at UCF for an undergraduate is a minor only, last I heard. The graduate program is supposed to be really good though.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#13 » by EasternMagic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:11 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:^ realize there's also some bias here about UCF btw, lol.

Hey I ranked his schools correctly
Clemson
UGA
UF
UCF
and UNF doesnt count lol
jgiannip
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#14 » by jgiannip » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Class of 98 UF with sports management degree, and i did nothing in sports!
"Everything we do is wrong" my take on Magic front office moves

Return to Orlando Magic