ImageImageImageImage

Atlanta @ Orlando Game Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: Atlanta @ Orlando Game Thread 

Post#581 » by EasternMagic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
craig01 wrote:Bad game, crummy effort, poor execution.

No big deal.

Yet.

Was just going to post something to this effect, but you beat me to it.

1 game, especially home/season opener, is way too small of a sample size to see how we're playing.

For example, what's the chance Shard fouls out 1 min into the 4th again this season?
How many games will we shoot 16% beyond the arc?

The Hawks seem to have our number. Last season we also lost the first game - albeit to the Pistons.

I was just about to say that.
id bet money that we destroy Atlanta next time. This was the worst i have seen the magic play in quite some while... They hit the bottom in this game, and i bet SVG destroyed them in practice today, Im calling a 20+ point win vs the grizz on friday
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#582 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Didn't orlando beat the bucks in the first game last season?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#583 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 pm

magicfanatic23 wrote:The whole night was just terrible. First, the dumb girl who is a recording artist forgets the words to the national anthem. That was a classic, I couldn't stop laughing. Then they introduced the old 1989 team which was cool but our introductions sucked. They put our starters on a podium? It was so gay. Then the game starts and was absolutely awful. It was literally a nightmare. Terrible 1st quarter, Ok 2nd quarter, Awful 3rd quarter, and decent 4th but it was over by then. It was pretty sad that we were even in the game in the 4th considering how bad we played.

JJ was TERRIBLE. Enough said, he couldn't even hit the rim
Rashard didn't do anything although he did get some terrible fouls called on him. The refs were horrible especially the one ref #32. He sucks.
Hedo was lazy and didn't play like a guy who wants to get paid.
Jameer absolutely sucked. Didn't pick up his play at all from the preseason. The weak link of the team by far.
Blogans couldn't stop Joe Johnson to save his life.
SVG wasn't in to the game b/c he must have been high or something not to have Pietrus aka "The Defensive Stopper" not guarding Joe Johnson late in the game.
Just the dingleberry on my magical sh*t sunday...
Battie and Gortat=No production
AJ was all right I guess. The one highlight of the night for us was his halfcourt alleyoop to MP.

The only 2 guys who played well were Dwight and Pietrus. Dwight left some buckets on the floor but 22 pts/15 reb and 5 blks is a good game no matter what. And MP was excellent imo. 20 pts is great and he had a bunch of shots go in and out. This guys is the real deal. I was very pleased with his play. He is so athletic it blows my mind.

So I know it was one night but the whole Opening night was a complete joke from start to finish and I hope this thing can get fixed fast but the thoughts of being the Chicago Bulls of last year are starting to creep into my head. Not good.

O well we gotta put it together and protect our homecourt.

Go Magic

Only thing you left out was how bad Sunsports did on the broadcast. When I went home to watch this I don't believe there was a solid 2 minute span where there wasn't some horredndous technichal difficulties including towards the end when they just went to audio.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#584 » by magicfanatic23 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:56 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
magicfanatic23 wrote:The whole night was just terrible. First, the dumb girl who is a recording artist forgets the words to the national anthem. That was a classic, I couldn't stop laughing. Then they introduced the old 1989 team which was cool but our introductions sucked. They put our starters on a podium? It was so gay. Then the game starts and was absolutely awful. It was literally a nightmare. Terrible 1st quarter, Ok 2nd quarter, Awful 3rd quarter, and decent 4th but it was over by then. It was pretty sad that we were even in the game in the 4th considering how bad we played.

Rashard didn't do anything although he did get some terrible fouls called on him. The refs were horrible especially the one ref #32. He sucks.
Jameer absolutely sucked. Didn't pick up his play at all from the preseason. The weak link of the team by far.
SVG wasn't in to the game b/c he must have been high or something not to have Pietrus aka "The Defensive Stopper" not guarding Joe Johnson late in the game.
AJ was all right I guess. The one highlight of the night for us was his halfcourt alleyoop to MP.

The only 2 guys who played well were Dwight and Pietrus. Dwight left some buckets on the floor but 22 pts/15 reb and 5 blks is a good game no matter what. And MP was excellent imo. 20 pts is great and he had a bunch of shots go in and out. This guys is the real deal. I was very pleased with his play. He is so athletic it blows my mind.

So I know it was one night but the whole Opening night was a complete joke from start to finish and I hope this thing can get fixed fast but the thoughts of being the Chicago Bulls of last year are starting to creep into my head. Not good.

Go Magic

Only thing you left out was how bad Sunsports did on the broadcast. When I went home to watch this I don't believe there was a solid 2 minute span where there wasn't some horredndous technichal difficulties including towards the end when they just went to audio.

Lol I was at the game so I missed the great pleasure of watching another amazing sun sports broadcast :(
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#585 » by Bucs80 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Alright, The Bench was horrendous. Hedo, and Rashard were terrible.

Though watching 1 game from the bench. Emphasis on 1.

The Bench looks like it's just gonna be one of the worst in the league. I'm sorry but when you have JJ Redick coming off the bench for your team. Your just bound to suck. I can see why Johnson was on like 20 teams before. He dosen't make passes, and is not a good defender. To me he just seem like another Carlos Arroyo. Except he dosen't do that stupid sulsa dribbling.

Hedo if he reverts back to his old ways. This team goes along with him. Simple as that. Rashard couldn't make a shot, just not like him. nothing I can complain about except he needs to make them.

Piertrus was solid. But once again, I've said it before. He reminds me of Mo Evans. And his defense wasn't as good as everyone said it would be. Not in this game. Johnson still scored points on 25 points.

Then Dwight Howard. I'm getting tired of this.

He hasn't developed anything from the post. He still is raw, his development is just hasn't gotten to a degree where he can get points everysingle time you give it to him. comparing that to Amare's development. Dwight is still leagues behind him.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#586 » by j-ragg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:07 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:Didn't orlando beat the bucks in the first game last season?

Yep. I remember having to watch it on my computer because of big gay Bright House. Shard had 26.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#587 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm

We raped the Bucks opening night last season, that game was a pure blowout from the start and might've been the easiest game we had all season.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#588 » by TheGlyde » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Bucs80 wrote:Piertrus was solid. But once again, I've said it before. He reminds me of Mo Evans. And his defense wasn't as good as everyone said it would be. Not in this game. Johnson still scored points on 25 points.

I didn't see the game as I was at work, but most are saying Bogans was guarding JJ despite MP being in the game.

Bucs80 wrote:Then Dwight Howard. I'm getting tired of this.

He hasn't developed anything from the post. He still is raw, his development is just hasn't gotten to a degree where he can get points everysingle time you give it to him. comparing that to Amare's development. Dwight is still leagues behind him.

Every single time eh...

High standards much?
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Forest
Banned User

Post#589 » by Forest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Bucs80 wrote:Alright, The Bench was horrendous. Hedo, and Rashard were terrible.

The Bench looks like it's just gonna be one of the worst in the league. I'm sorry but when you have JJ Redick coming off the bench for your team. Your just bound to suck. I can see why Johnson was on like 20 teams before. He dosen't make passes, and is not a good defender. To me he just seem like another Carlos Arroyo. Except he dosen't do that stupid sulsa dribbling.

Hedo if he reverts back to his old ways. This team goes along with him. Simple as that. Rashard couldn't make a shot, just not like him. nothing I can complain about except he needs to make them.

Piertrus was solid. But once again, I've said it before. He reminds me of Mo Evans. And his defense wasn't as good as everyone said it would be. Not in this game. Johnson still scored points on 25 points.

Seriously who post this type of garbage.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#590 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 pm

eyriq wrote:Just another thing that worried me... Isn't it about time that Dwight dominates on the block? I mean, we feed him down there and he just doesn't seem to be able to consistently be a threat. It looked like the Detroit series all over again. How does he get so many points? I watched the game and honestly can't think of how he got those points with how bad he looked on set plays. I think saying he is raw is still justified, he just is not like a Shaq, Ewing, Dream, or those players that you could run an offense through. That is why we still need Hedo, and when he sucks, we need Lewis, and when he sucks, we get beat by teams like Atlanta. Lewis was trying to be more assertive on the offensive end, but when he posts up bigger guys it seems like he still gets flung around. He would be more affective posting up sf's, that much is certain.

Did I mention I hate Atlanta?

Are you serious? Dwight looked a lot more comfortable on the offensive end. He made a fair few really nice moves. He was actually taking what the defense was giving him for the most part. He would have ended up with 30 easily if a few of those gimmies he usually would make had of gone down.

We were actually giving him the ball in the fourth quarter and he was producing (other than the missed free throws). He rarely had as much 4th quarter impact last season. He even scored on a tripple team!
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#591 » by TheGlyde » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Dwight started terribly, but so did the whole team... He got cooking late... Some ppl may have switched off in disgust and missed that...
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,949

Post#592 » by Last Guardian » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm

I disagree, Dwight looked like same old Dwight (remember same old Dwight still gets 21ppg). But still, his shot creativity is lacking. He never uses a pump fake or any sort of half spin. His offense is fairly predictable. And its a shame because he has a nice touch around the basket. Just learn a move or two to create some space for a hook or flip shot and he would pretty much be that automatic scorer.

That said, he is a serious candidate for DPOY this season, and I would not be surprised at all to see him win it.

Thats if they overlook the Warlock, who is dominating the league with 24.9 blocks per 48. Warlock showed last night that if he played all 48 minutes, he'd block 25 shots.
Forest
Banned User

Post#593 » by Forest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm

I think people are just saying Dwight looks more comfortable and confident with his offense. Not so much he has revamped his post game with pump fakes and spin moves. But it is only one game so no one really knows anything at this point.
Bucs80
Analyst

Post#594 » by Bucs80 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:35 am

Forest wrote:
Bucs80 wrote:Alright, The Bench was horrendous. Hedo, and Rashard were terrible.

Seriously, who would post a waste of a comment who couldn't even respond.

But it's only 1 game out of 82, and I hope we don't see anymore of that crap we saw yeterday which we call "Magic basketball" tommorow.

and Forest, Dwight Howard hasn't really had that many post moves in the recent years in which many of these Magic experts said we would see more often. I keep seeing him getting points off offensive rebounds, alleys or easy layups. Not many times have I seen him make 4-5 hook shots in one game. It has to change in order for him to be a real post threat. Right now I'm feeling like he dosen't want to do any of that, and just wants to do it his own way.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer

Post#595 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:01 am

Ya'll are crazy. Dwight and MP both looked good last night.... $hard looked good in the second until he got in foul trouble..... Dwight look'd more than solid offensively tho if you ask me.... Like others said he looks very comfortable down there now in terms of finishing. The finesse moves will come with time & age. :wink:
Bucs80
Analyst

Post#596 » by Bucs80 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:04 am

Magic.City.23. wrote:Ya'll are crazy. Dwight and MP both looked good last night.... $hard looked good in the second until he got in foul trouble..... Dwight look'd more than solid offensively tho if you ask me.... Like others said he looks very comfortable down there now in terms of finishing. The finesse moves will come with time & age. :wink:

MP was nasty.....
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#597 » by MitchellUK » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 am

Bucs80 wrote:
Forest wrote:

Seriously, who would post a waste of a comment who couldn't even respond.

But it's only 1 game out of 82, and I hope we don't see anymore of that crap we saw yeterday which we call "Magic basketball" tommorow.

and Forest, Dwight Howard hasn't really had that many post moves in the recent years in which many of these Magic experts said we would see more often. I keep seeing him getting points off offensive rebounds, alleys or easy layups. Not many times have I seen him make 4-5 hook shots in one game. It has to change in order for him to be a real post threat. Right now I'm feeling like he dosen't want to do any of that, and just wants to do it his own way.

As much as Dwight's offensive game is not as rounded or polished as many other big men in the league, I strongly disagree with the notion of him getting 'easy' points. The put backs, layups and dunks are usually preceded by Dwight being swarmed with defenders, who pull, push and hack him the second he gets near the ball. I've lost count of the number of times he pulls down an offensive board, despite being the only Magic player in the paint and being surrounded by 4 opponents, only to lay the ball in with contact. As much as Dwight can't pull off the finesse moves that the likes of Yao and Stoudemire can, I don't see them being able to do what he does, either.

Also, I'd go back to the most basic argument - who the hell cares how the points come? 21ppg is 21ppg, whether he gets the majority of it through dunks and layups or midrange jumpers. It'd be nice to see him score in a greater variety of ways, but the work he goes through just to create his current scoring opportunities is not given enough credit. The quickness to pull an opponent out of the lane and then spin back in for an alley-oop is exceptional, and his strength to continuously force position around the basket to allow for his baby hooks, layups and dunks is phenomenal. And he is battling like that night after night on his own, with no other post presence to allow him to take a play off now and then. Credit where credit is due - it is not always pretty, but I don't see Yao, Stoudemire or any other center in the league who gets 20+ppg and also dominates defensively.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#598 » by MitchellUK » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 am

Solid Snake wrote:I disagree, Dwight looked like same old Dwight (remember same old Dwight still gets 21ppg). But still, his shot creativity is lacking. He never uses a pump fake or any sort of half spin. His offense is fairly predictable. And its a shame because he has a nice touch around the basket. Just learn a move or two to create some space for a hook or flip shot and he would pretty much be that automatic scorer.

That said, he is a serious candidate for DPOY this season, and I would not be surprised at all to see him win it.

Thats if they overlook the Warlock, who is dominating the league with 24.9 blocks per 48. Warlock showed last night that if he played all 48 minutes, he'd block 25 shots.

SVG only plays him spot minutes out of respect for his potential victims' loved ones.

On a serious note, I would love to see him get more minutes in a more traditional lineup - we don't push the ball enough to play small ball for 36mpg, which is roughly how much we played it last season. Having a couple of genuine rotation bigs to allow us to play a true PF/C combo would give us more options, and Gortat's energy could be really useful in larger doses as a compliment to the more controlled, textbook D of Tony Battie or Adonal Foyle.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#599 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:02 am

magicfanatic23 wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:

Go Magic

Lol I was at the game so I missed the great pleasure of watching another amazing sun sports broadcast :(

LOL
Then believe me you were lucky to be at the game...

I almost spontaneously combusted at one point...
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,242

Post#600 » by eyriq » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:16 am

Well, in defense of my statement about Dwight, look at it this way. When he is able to turn a possession into a shot attempt, he is completely dominant. His FG% proves it. However, a lot of times a possession for him turns into a trip to the foul line, or a turnover. Either he makes his free throws at a higher clip, or he cuts down on his turnovers. Until then he is a limited offensive option. What am I missing here? I will say that he seems to be much more confident than last year, and this will lead to an improved offensive game, but I'm hoping for Shaq'esque dominance, because I think he can do it.

Return to Orlando Magic