ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic Aim to fine-tune tactics after loss to Atlanta

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCFknight84
Rookie
And1: 0

Orlando Magic Aim to fine-tune tactics after loss to Atlanta 

Post#1 » by UCFknight84 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 am

Van Gundy said the decision-making by small forward Hedo Turkoglu (two turnovers, one assist) and point guard Jameer Nelson (three turnovers, two assists) -- the club's two primary playmakers -- was "not good. Both of them were thinking too much . . . and just not reacting to the defense.".

All-star center Dwight Howard (four turnovers) said he and his teammates had a thinking problem.

"[Wednesday] we were thinking about stuff too much," he said. "There's a quote that I read that says, 'A cramped mind equals slow feet.' You can't think or play with your mind all cramped up.

"We had so much on our minds wanting to play well and we didn't."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 9052.story
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
Teddy Roosevelt
The Favero
Pro Prospect

Re: Orlando Magic Aim to fine-tune tactics after loss to Atlanta 

Post#2 » by The Favero » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:49 am

I was at the game and I can honestly say that it was the worst performance I have ever seen by a Magic team in person, EVER. They seriously should have given everyone there a refund, the product that was on the floor that night was garbage. The only legitimate bright spot was Pietrus. That being said, let's put this game behind us and make the right adjustments and move forward. Oh and of course, more of the Polish Hammer please.
Crazy homeless woman "do you see all this blood on my jacket?? all this blood on my jacket!!"
Big Baby politely responds "have a nice night, mam"
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#3 » by Magicalltheway » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:33 pm

I agree, it was really bad. By fine tuning he means moving your *****es and play ball. I think the biggest reason for the loss was lack of movement without the ball. Everyone was waiting to see what the player with the ball was going to do. There was no anticipation.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,240

Post#4 » by eyriq » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Hedo and Nelson seem to have struggled all pre-season too. Must be a case of the thinks.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#5 » by TheRevTy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:03 pm

I hate thinking.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#6 » by CourtsideTV » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:16 pm

nelson has caught the turkoflu..turkoflu is back
Work Hard
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#7 » by EasternMagic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 pm

Tonight well be a massacare.. count my words, the grizz will feel the fury.
surflawyer
Analyst
And1: 19
Location: I love being on everyones IGNORE List ... no one ever disagrees with me ....

Post#8 » by surflawyer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm

WOW ... thank God it was only thinking. I was worried that we sucked again. Were just stupid. That makes me feel much better. :lol:

Maybe thats whats wrong with the stock market and congress as well. :wink:
"The first thing we need to do is kill all the attorneys."

William Shakespeare
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#9 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Yea, watching the game was horrible, everybody was just watching the ball and not going to it, and was looking for someone to take over, Atlanta came to play, we didnt, plain and simple, Orlando needs to get back on track, and man, if we lose to the Grizz, ill find a ditch and put my head in there and cry for a day....
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#10 » by glennathan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:51 pm

hey do not count out the grizzlies. In the opening day for memphis Darrell Arthur got 11 pts. and 15 rbds. along with 2 steals. Then they also got OJ mayo who is doing well. They can be very good and we do not need to count them out especially if they keep playing the way they are.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#11 » by EasternMagic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:56 pm

glennathan wrote:hey do not count out the grizzlies. In the opening day for memphis Darrell Arthur got 11 pts. and 15 rbds. along with 2 steals. Then they also got OJ mayo who is doing well. They can be very good and we do not need to count them out especially if they keep playing the way they are.

I'm not saying any of it to discredit the grizz, if it was the lakers i would still expect an extreme effort tonight and a solid win
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#12 » by glennathan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 pm

EasternMagic wrote:
glennathan wrote:hey do not count out the grizzlies. In the opening day for memphis Darrell Arthur got 11 pts. and 15 rbds. along with 2 steals. Then they also got OJ mayo who is doing well. They can be very good and we do not need to count them out especially if they keep playing the way they are.

I'm not saying any of it to discredit the grizz, if it was the lakers i would still expect an extreme effort tonight and a solid win

true that. I just wanted to point out that even though many people think "oh it is the grizz it should be an easy victory", we got to think about what happened last year. The grizz beat us 123 to 114 and at home. Of course there is a major difference in Mike Miller to OJ Mayo but still both very potent scorers. We cannot take any game lightly from this point on. We got to treat every team like they are the celtics or the spurs.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#13 » by spinedoc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Agreed, terrible ball movement, and too much standing around. If they want to watch the game, they should buy a ticket like anybody else. I was reminded of the movie Hoosiers watching the game, where Hackman kept telling the guys to attempt at least five passes before shooting. It sounds excessive, but the idea is to get everyone in the flow of the game. Instead we looked like five individuals out there and not a team. Its not about so called "play makers" needing to take over, just pass the darn ball and work for a better shot. That should fall on everyone's shoulders.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#14 » by MagicalMan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:28 pm

they better do more than fine tune. They need an overhaul.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#15 » by EasternMagic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 pm

glennathan wrote:
EasternMagic wrote:

true that. I just wanted to point out that even though many people think "oh it is the grizz it should be an easy victory", we got to think about what happened last year. The grizz beat us 123 to 114 and at home. Of course there is a major difference in Mike Miller to OJ Mayo but still both very potent scorers. We cannot take any game lightly from this point on. We got to treat every team like they are the celtics or the spurs.

I was at that game.. not fun
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by magicfanatic23 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 pm

I expect a great effort and a win tonight. Well I did expect that on Wednesday though and it didn't happen lol.

We just need a good win to forget about Wednesday and move on. The longer a team struggles, the harder it is to get out of a funk. Hopefully, we can put it past us tonight.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
MagicBasketba11
Rookie

Post#17 » by MagicBasketba11 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 pm

hopefully the horrible performance vs atlanta was a wake up call...we HAVE to win tonight, and look good doing it. With no disrespect to the Grizzlies, I expect the Magic to come out tonight hungry for a win and blow em out by atleast 20 points.
Twitter: NickTheQuick224
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#18 » by ezmac2 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm

The only thing I'm worried about is underestimating the Grizz. Mayo and Gay can go off for a lot of points in a hurry.

Return to Orlando Magic