ImageImageImageImage

OT- Iverson to the Pistons for Billups and McDyess

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Re: OT- Iverson to the Pistons for Billups and McDyess 

Post#21 » by Last Guardian » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:28 pm

Hopefully this makes the Pistons worse overall. They'll still beat us though because Iverson kills us even more than Billups does.
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#22 » by ezmac2 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:28 pm

A.I is one of those players i hope gets a ring before he retires.
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#23 » by ORL » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:37 pm

Hedo for Rip :nod:.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#24 » by MagicMadness » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:47 pm

I think this is a great move for Detroit, mainly because of the expiring contract.

And as for Iverson, he has a better shot at advancing in the playoffs than he would have playing for Denver in the West.
Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Force9024 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 5:49 pm

AI will be too much a "me first" player which will severely hurt the Pistons. Will Detroit be a playoff team of course, but I don't think they have that IMO "unselfish dimension" that won them titles anymore with the addition of AI. I think this definitely makes Denver better, and I doubt they'll release Antonio McDyess to allow him to go back to Detroit, plus isn't there a rule in the CBA that says they can't go back for like 2 months or something after he was traded? I think they'd be able to use McDyess, especially in the West. But looks like this will end up benefiting everyone that was considered to not be as good as Detroit, I think this backfires horribly for them though thinking about AI and Sheed on the same team, with no true pg... Remember Billups killed us plenty of times in the past..
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#26 » by magicman123 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:07 pm

denver just got better
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#27 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah no more Billups in the playoffs vs us : )
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#28 » by Magicalltheway » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:29 pm

So the Pistons have pretty much given up on the title chace and are going to build the team around Stuckey. I would rather Bogans defend AI than Jameer on Billups. I also think that Denver just got better. Hey maybe Prince will be available now?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#29 » by mhectorgato » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:49 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I thought there were pretty significant limitations on when a player could resign with a team that he was traded from in the same season. Does anybody know the specifics?

I thought so too - wasn't it due to what the Cs did a few seasons back?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#30 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:52 pm

ORL, I would be beyond happy if we could pull off that deal. :D Hedo for Rip would make us INSTANT (serious) contenders for the title.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#31 » by MMFla » Mon Nov 3, 2008 6:53 pm

I may be wrong but I think its 30 days a player will have to wait to join the same team after he was traded and cut, Brent Barry had to wait that much last year after the Kurt Thomas trade.

As for the trade I'm glad that Billups is out west and no longer will face us in the playoffs, it will prob take some time for AI to get use to the style Detroit plays and I don't really see a AI-Rip combo gelling maybe a Stuckey-AI would work just trade Rip out west or move the Pistons to Seattle.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#32 » by magicman123 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:05 pm

remember stackhouse last year? ""I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back, I ain't going nowhere."

yea i believe it is 30 days

g) If a Team trades a player and the assignee Team subsequently terminates the Player’s Contract, the assignor Team shall not be permitted to sign the player to a new Contract until at least thirty (30) days have passed following the date all conditions to the trade were satisfied (or until at least twenty (20) days have passed in the case of a trade that occurs during the period from the last day of a Season through the first day of the following Regular Season).
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,240

Post#33 » by eyriq » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:12 pm

Wow, interesting trade! The Pistons get worse and the Nuggets get better. I bet they're wishing they hadn't given away Camby right about now.

Pistons no longer scare me.... They are officially rebuilding.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#34 » by spinedoc » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:12 pm

Maybe Dice just doesn't want to go out west. He may be looking to retire fairly soon anyway, what better place than Florida? He could get a head start on scouting that out with a two year stint with us. It would be very nice to sign him off of waivers though. He's exactly what we need at the moment. I also like the Hedo for Rip idea. MP could play plenty of minutes backing up the two and the three spots, and hopefully Lee could transition to the point.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by eyriq » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:21 pm

Billups/J.R. Smith/C. Anthony/K-Mart/Nene = DAMN

They could really use Mcdysse, for their sake I hope he plays.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#36 » by glennathan » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:44 pm

This is a huge deal. Now we see the nuggets getting back to where they were a few years ago with a true PG. I was looking at the new lineup for the pistons and I see this either being really good or really bad.

PG- Iverson
SG- Hamilton
SF- Prince
PF- Maxiell
C- Wallace

That is a challenge for us especially in the playoffs and I hope this is the break we needed to get past detroit and break the losing streak. I now think Denver has a legit shot in the West. Going to be a very interesting year.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#37 » by Dunkin On Ya » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:46 pm

Got to love how the Pistons are going to rebuild on the fly. They will still be one of the top teams in the east this year...that won't change. They are set already at point for the future with Stuckey, they got good young bigs in Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell. Now they will have alot of cap room after this year. Will Iverson take a pay cut, stay and the Pistons still get another good player?
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#38 » by The Effect » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:56 pm

Too me, this is perfect for them, Since they have Stuckey and are extremely high him as a big PG, they can start him, and put AI at the 2 where he belongs and not lose anything on defense

Billups isnt what he used to be, and McDyess is nothing special
I really dont see why the nuggets did this at all
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#39 » by Rick Rolled » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:59 pm

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckForum&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aadc4d919-840d-4bdc-bac8-3e3151995cf0Forum%3a65053859-5e1d-48de-b78b-b1c1db289989Discussion%3a6714facb-e51a-4846-b701-2871e723a9c3&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

Naturally, the Magic were shocked by Detroit’s trading of Chauncey Billips, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver for all-star guard Allen Iverson on Monday.

Billups has long tormented the Magic with his play in the clutch and his size advantage over Orlando point guard Jameer Nelson. And McDyess was one of the defenders that the Pistons used to smother star Magic center Dwight Howard in the playoffs each of the past two seasons.

``Yeah, that’s going to change them because that’s `Big Shot Chauncey' and he always set the tempo for that team,’’ Howard said. ``Obviously their young point guard, (Rodney) Stuckey, is excellent and they believe in him. Detroit is still going to have a great team regardless of what changes they make.’’
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by eyriq » Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:59 pm

I think in losing Billups, Detroit losses its Elite status. No way they win 55 + games this year.

Orlando>Detroit

Return to Orlando Magic