ImageImageImageImage

Cook's Dad -- new info

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Cook's Dad -- new info 

Post#1 » by magicmamma » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:40 pm

Orlando Sentinel.

I knew Cookie's dad had been an NBA player and assumed he had led a privileged childhood, tutored in bb by his father. Not so.

Life with Norm Cook was largely traumatic, heart-wrenching and impossible to comprehend. All Brian knows is the voices that rattled inside his father's head are finally silent. After battling paranoid schizophrenia for 30 years, Norm Cook slipped into a diabetic coma and died last week. He was just 53.

"He pretty much had all the influence on me in the world because I knew if he could make it into the NBA, I could make it into the NBA," Brian said. "I was born with a ball in my crib. I made my first shot when I was 3. My dad was off playing overseas. He'd come back in the summer until he started to get sick and we weren't able to see him again."

When Brian was 5, authorities from a mental hospital took his father away in a straitjacket.
His mother filed for divorce in 1986, working three jobs to feed the family and pay bills.

Quite a story.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Re: Cook's Dad -- new info 

Post#2 » by glennathan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:00 pm

wow. that is a sad story. I know it must have been tough for any kid to see that at an early time in their life. congrats to Brian for getting a sucessful life by making to the NBA.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?

Return to Orlando Magic