ImageImageImageImage

Atkins traded...

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Re: Atkins traded... 

Post#21 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:22 am

Glenn,

This little flurry of trades today was to help get teams under the Luxury tax.

Denver basically traded down 10 spots in next year's Draft and picked up a big body in Petro that they needed.

It is still possible Atkins could be released by the March 1 playoff roster eligibility deadline.

The Livingston and Adams deals were for what I consider Phantom picks so teams could send something back to make these deals to get them under the tax threshold.

These picks are heavily protected and since they are one shot deals, the conditions are unlikely to be met and no pick will be paid.

For ex: Memphis send Miami their 2012 2nd round pick which will be top-55 protected.

Things could change but it is unlikely Memphis will be that good in a few years and if the pick is not 56-60 in 2012, the obligation is estinguished.

Teams send these picks because they need to send something back for the trade to be allowed.

Other things teams send back include Traded Player Exceptions (Dooling Trade) and Draft Rights to European Players who will never come over.

On a related note, The Magic did this in the Rashard Lewis deal.

They could very well actually end up paying one of these phantom picks,

Their 2009 2nd will go to Phoenix via Oklahoma City if it is 56-60 this year and this would be the case if the season ended today.

If I did fully explain, please let me know.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#22 » by glennathan » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:34 am

Howard Mass wrote:Glenn,

This little flurry of trades today was to help get teams under the Luxury tax.

Denver basically traded down 10 spots in next year's Draft and picked up a big body in Petro that they needed.

It is still possible Atkins could be released by the March 1 playoff roster eligibility deadline.

The Livingston and Adams deals were for what I consider Phantom picks so teams could send something back to make these deals to get them under the tax threshold.

These picks are heavily protected and since they are one shot deals, the conditions are unlikely to be met and no pick will be paid.

For ex: Memphis send Miami their 2012 2nd round pick which will be top-55 protected.

Things could change but it is unlikely Memphis will be that good in a few years and if the pick is not 56-60 in 2012, the obligation is estinguished.

Teams send these picks because they need to send something back for the trade to be allowed.

Other things teams send back include Traded Player Exceptions (Dooling Trade) and Draft Rights to European Players who will never come over.

On a related note, The Magic did this in the Rashard Lewis deal.

They could very well actually end up paying one of these phantom picks,

Their 2009 2nd will go to Phoenix via Oklahoma City if it is 56-60 this year and this would be the case if the season ended today.

If I did fully explain, please let me know.

This helped a lot. Thanks again. I do have a couple other questions off topic though. What exactly does the trade exception do that we got from NJ? Does it allow us to go over the cap without paying the penalty? also what pick did we send to Seattle/Oklahoma City for Rashard?
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,637

Post#23 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:44 am

Atkins is like slightly above AJ, probably not even.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#24 » by Howard Mass » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:00 pm

The Magic are already over the cap and they can go further over it by using the TPE>

However, that would most certainly push them over the Luxury tax which is something they will not exceed.

On the pick, The Magic sent Seattle/Oklahoma their 2009 second-round pick (top-55 protected).

Seattle/Oklahoma City dealt this pick to Phoenix in the Kurt Thomas deal. Ironically, it was included so they could make the trade because they technically had to send something back.

Anyway, If the pick is not 56-60 this year, the Magic pay nothing and the obligation is estinguished.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#25 » by glennathan » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:53 pm

^^^ Thanks again Howard. Appreciate the info.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?

Return to Orlando Magic