ImageImageImageImage

The Otis Smith appreciation thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,259

Re: The Otis Smith appreciation thread 

Post#21 » by eyriq » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Musselman agrees that Otis knows exactly what he is doing. Just thought this would be appropriate for this thread. :D
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#22 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:weisbrod should be exec of the year for letting tmac go.

Speaking of, I remember there being a lot of "worst trade in NBA history" stories in the media after the trade went down.

It definitely could have been, but thankfully it's been anything but.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#23 » by EasternMagic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm

i love seeing this especially after i was ridiculed for supporting him and backing everything he did last year.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by maginno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I give props to Otis for not chucking JJ off the wagon (which I have always maintained JJ deserved to stay on) and so far I give him credit for hanging with Jameer.

Sorry though guys. We have Dwight and we should be competing. We can pat each other on the back but we aren't even at the All-star break and a Gm with Dwight will forever be judged by playoff success. No one has proven anything until this team makes it to the championship and if we pull up short in the playoffs I won't be the only one saying so (older board members will recall what happened to the 50+ win season congratulation sentiment when we got bounced out mercilessly by Detroit in the second round last year)

Still To this day if we need to put a game on a players back and have him carry the team it is more likely to be Dwight, Jameer or Hedo. On that level rashard was then and still now is WAY overpaid. Pietrus isn't even healthy enough long enough to be considered a key to a great first half.

If we get to the last dance with an EC Championship I'd say Otis would have earned his bow but the fat lady is still at home watching TV not even thinking about getting dressed to make it to the Opera - its nowhere near singing time.

So - to put it brief - It don't mean a thing - if you ain't got that ring
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm

maginno wrote:Sorry though guys. We have Dwight and we should be competing. We can pat each other on the back but we aren't even at the All-star break and a Gm with Dwight will forever be judged by playoff success. No one has proven anything until this team makes it to the championship and if we pull up short in the playoffs I won't be the only one saying so (older board members will recall what happened to the 50+ win season congratulation sentiment when we got bounced out mercilessly by Detroit in the second round last year)

lol..."respect us!" "respect us!"

Man was that bad. :-?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#26 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 pm

maginno wrote:No one has proven anything until this team makes it to the championship and if we pull up short in the playoffs I won't be the only one saying so (older board members will recall what happened to the 50+ win season congratulation sentiment when we got bounced out mercilessly by Detroit in the second round last year)

However not all shared that same outlook. It was our first trip to the 2nd round in how many years? That was a stepping stone for the future.

I was proud to be a Magic fan last season, despite the 2nd round exit. I would imagine you were as well.

maginno wrote:So - to put it brief - It don't mean a thing - if you ain't got that ring

That's certainly one way to look at it. I for one look at it as entertainment. Last season was entertaining. Last playoff run was entertaining. This season has been entertaining so far.

As I've said before, if I'm working for the organization in a basketball related job, I'd likely have a very different outlook.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
maginno
Banned User

Post#27 » by maginno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 pm

Well yeah it has been very entertaining this year but lets be honest the real entertainment for me has been seeing Jameer turn it up and JJ coming into his own. Thats the story of 2009. that and how relaxed the players seemed to be with everyone. They ARE jelling. Its not been about the big GM moves - Not bringing in Pietrus (although we'll see when he can stay healthy for awhile) or even Shard. Thats why I am delighted. I LOVE to see a team grow from the inside out rather than putting a team together with suddenly transplanted mercenaries - like Boston did.

So I tell you what Gato- I'll give Otis some love. Like I said with JJ and Jameer plus Kudos for bouncing back to rationality with Stan (no brainer but I guess he could have balked at the second round picks) after His HORRENDOUS decision to pursue Donovan.

Get even an EC title this year And I'll be officially back in his corner.

Mind you not buying the whole stepping stone thing. The kings bought into that a few years back and nada. The Jazz of the Stockton- Malone era bought into that and nada and of course we have the shining example fo the Mavs that have been stepping on stones for years and can't get over the hump yet.

You win a championship because of what you do in the season you win it - not for things you did before.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#28 » by Shishnizzle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:48 pm

SVG is making Otis look like a genius, and he fell back asswards into him after the Biilly Donovan fiasco. Don't forget Weisbrod made the final decision on Howard and Jameer, and it was Otis that drafted Fran. I still like him though and he did good with the Lee pick. I still think the jury is out on Otis.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#29 » by drsd » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:11 am

I like this team

Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#30 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:34 am

He still has work to do as far as I'm concerned. We need a legit backup PG and we will need to replace Battie after next year. It would be awesome if Fran came over by then and produced like Scola produced in his rookie year. Then I would start calling Otis a genius if that happened.

Not to mention Otis has to figure out how to keep Hedo and Gortat on the roster, while also trying to use the MLE this summer, with out going into the luxury tax. If he can pull that off, he may go down as the best GM in Magic history.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#31 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 am

mhectorgato wrote:At this point I think future growth depends more on the DVs willingness to spend the Benjamins.

It wouldn't have to be if he didn't overpay Shard.

Acquiring Shard was good and I love him as a player on this team, but the insanely lucrative contract that wasn't needed to get him here has somewhat handicapped us (and/or will force the owner to go into luxury tax earlier than desired).

Otis has proven to be a decent GM, his sole flaw seems to be $$$ related. If he didn't give Shard the huge contract we could've traded our expirings last year for something tangible and we'd be sitting really pretty. Instead, we were motivated to not go into cap hell and we just let them expire for nothing.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
h0rdes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#32 » by h0rdes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 am

Otis did a great job. Here are some reasons:

Otis & Tward are the "brains" of weisbrod (the hockey guy) when they drafted Howard, Varejao and Nelson

Otis scooped Hedo early out of the FA market saying "Hedo does the intangibles"

Otis didn't give Mobley a contract extension (Mobley wants more money)

Otis traded Steve Francis' contract to the Knicks (great move)

Otis drafted Fran instead of Sean May. (this move didn't work because of Fran's girlfriend)

Otis gives Nelson & Howard the contract extension

Otis signs Rashard before the Cavs could even try. Rashard is a perfect fit for our team.

Otis refused to give Ariza, Darko, Dooling more money. He's willing to resign these players "if the price is right"

They tried to convince Grant Hill to resign but decided to go to Phoenix. (which is good for Hedo). He then drafted JJ.

Otis hired SVG (his 2nd choice)
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#33 » by Shishnizzle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm

What I do know is that Weisbrod was the GM and that means Wiesbrod made the final decision on Jameer, Hedo and Dwight. To assume that Otis or Tward were the masterminds behind it, is pure conjecture. Unless you have some inside information to prove your claims. Otherwise Weisbrod was the GM and he gets credit for those moves because he had the final say.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#34 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:Otis has proven to be a decent GM, his sole flaw seems to be $$$ related. If he didn't give Shard the huge contract we could've traded our expirings last year for something tangible and we'd be sitting really pretty. Instead, we were motivated to not go into cap hell and we just let them expire for nothing.

There's no doubt that Ra$hard is overpaid for what he brings to the table (as good as it is for the team). He certainly benefited at being at the right place at the right time (arguably the biggest FA
on the market during a bottom heavy off-season).

Where we differ is whether it was necessary to overpay to retain his services/

I have yet to see any concrete proof to dissuade me from my opinion on the matter. Just as you've not seen anything to change your mind.

For me, I've looked at the entire situation and formulated my opinon:
- the FA market
- the needs of the team
- the various reports of interest from other teams
- the way Otis has handled money matters since with players asking too much (DS for example)
- the way Otis has handled money matters since with players he really likes (Jameer)

You've looked at the same items and, apparently, came up with the exact opposite one.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#35 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:38 pm

BigCityCat wrote:What I do know is that Weisbrod was the GM and that means Wiesbrod made the final decision on Jameer, Hedo and Dwight. To assume that Otis or Tward were the masterminds behind it, is pure conjecture. Unless you have some inside information to prove your claims. Otherwise Weisbrod was the GM and he gets credit for those moves because he had the final say.

I don't think they were the masterminds. However, according the behind scenes documentary ("Behind The Lights" I believe it was called) that aired on Sun sports not too long after the draft, they had an important part.

Plus, they both were chose to succeed Weis after his sudden departure, to me means that the org. gave them credit.

I don't think that they deserve all the credit. At the same time I don't think that they deserve no credit.
DHoward4Mvp
Starter
And1: 0

Post#36 » by DHoward4Mvp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:41 pm

I have appreciated him. Sure he has made some bonehead moves. Sure he could have done somethings different. But damn folks, this team is as goood as any team we have had here in Orlando in a verrrrrrrrrrry long time. And he deserves some damn appreciation, so appreciate him damnit!!!!! lol

Im sure most of you are like me and continued to watch every game since shaq left, since penny left, the heart and hustle the 21-61 season. And it has just gotten better since then.

Otis is our GM and ride and die with Otis.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#37 » by spinedoc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I've been a big supporter of Otis, he's been a great GM, but still second to Gabe. Gabe was a terrific capologist and could work the numbers better than anyone. He still holds the record for the most moves in a season in order to acquire two top free agents, and one of them was almost Duncan. It didn't have a great outcome, but we can't blame him for that. Otis has been very solid though, he deserves much respect for what he has done, including the moves under the leadership of Weiss. Even Weiss said so himself in subsequent interviews on the subject. So, the drafting of Dwight and Jameer, and signing Hedo falls on Otis's shoulders.

I've disagreed with him about keeping Hedo after acquiring Shard, mainly because I didn't want to see us become the "Warriors East", too many swingmen and not enough proper pieces. Although I still feel that way to an extent, its really tough to argue with the results, so I'll withhold my criticism until that decision bears out. I have agreed with him on signing Shard and MP, as well as, letting Dooling, Arroyo, and DS go. I've also agreed with him on drafting Fran, with terrible results, but I don't fault him for that. And I give him credit for getting Lee, although I wanted someone else at the time. He also should get credit for getting Gortat, AV, Pachulia, and Bogans too, although two of them are no longer on the team. The rest of the draft picks have been very subpar, but its a tough thing to get right every year. Overall, he's been better than he gets credit for on the board. I still think we are a couple moves away from the big one, but Otis has surely put us on the path. Good job Mr. Smith, keep it up.
maginno
Banned User

Post#38 » by maginno » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 pm

spinedoc wrote:So, the drafting of Dwight and Jameer, and signing Hedo falls on Otis's shoulders.

As ridiculous a claim now as it was the first time you and others wrote it. Weisbrod giving his staff props is no logical reason to give Otis the credit for Dwight. All indications were he was leaning in that direction and of course consulted. As has been said - its pure conjecture on your part. He was not the Gm -end of story. You can't get credit for a job that you didn't have yet.

without the Fan boy arguments and the harsh detracting we can say that the pick of JJ is panning out, Lee was a good selection (although it was an incredibly deep draft), Pietrus was a good pickup and his faith in Jameer has so far paid off.

You can also say that his signing of Shard has long range implications that are nowhere near good for the team. that the Ariza trade had little upside (it now is demonstrated to be a cook for Ariza trade - Who would you rather havve on this team now? nuff said) and he failed to utilize assets such as expirings last year (and questionably not going after a second rounder last draft)

So its a mixed bag. If we run into a severe road block this year in the playoffs we'll be in a pickle as we go into free agency and then the following years free agency when some serious names will be available and will change the landscape and we'll be stuck looking at Shard's contract bloom even higher.

So its all premature. Guys learn something from the trouncing we got from Detroit and the proclamations of victory in the Ariza trade - Gms are judged by success in the playoffs and by the long term results in the playoffs. Having this discussion before even the All Star break is somewhat ridiculous.
maginno
Banned User

Post#39 » by maginno » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:37 pm

and honestly to some others in the post. Given how the whole Donavan issue played out (with Otis even trying to change Donovans mind after he reneged on a signed contract) it truly is ridiculous to give Otis mad props for Stan. He backed into that when to me and many others it was a no brainer. To those in the know Stan was as obvious a choice as resigning him would be now. Of course I can understand why that argument has to be made. Stan is obviously far more important to this teams success than anyone else after Dwight. He just picked up where his resume already indicated he was heading. Whale of a job.

Believe it or not - not hating. I'll say this - If we even go seven in the ECF without winning it - I'll be back on Otis bandwagon (and for the record I was gungho for him after the Francis trade. that was a sweet move.) I'll be very happy for you to call me out on it too. No kidding.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by MagicMadness » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 pm

I was "iffy" on the whole Donovan signing. I knew that it would bring national attention to the Magic, and I was intrigued by the idea of at least letting him have a shot, after all of his success at UF. But, because of so many other college coaches who failed in the NBA, I took the signing with a grain of salt.

I felt like SVG was probably the better NBA coach overall, and in the end I'm glad we lucked into signing him instead.

Return to Orlando Magic