ImageImageImageImage

Mike Brown Named EC ASG Coach

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Deezy
RealGM
And1: 9

Mike Brown Named EC ASG Coach 

Post#1 » by Deezy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 am

Umm, am I missing something? Cleveland is now 1 game ahead of us with 6 more games each before the break. Orlando will probably have a better record going into the break, too.

I guess the end of January is the cut-off date.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Re: Mike Brown Named EC ASG Coach 

Post#2 » by ivDT » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:56 am

where did you hear that?
Deezy
RealGM

Post#3 » by Deezy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:57 am

I was watchin' the Cavs broadcast and they announced it at the end of the game. Plus, its on the introduction to Cleveland's website.
Deezy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Deezy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:12 am

Inspector Gadget time.

"Head coaches for the East and West All-Star teams are based on teams with the best winning-percentage in each conference through games played on Sunday, Feb. 3."

Interesting. Now, considering we hold the tiebreaker over Cleveland, and the fact that we both have 2 games before the 'cut-off', I just don't see how they can make this declaration already.

If we win both games and Cleveland splits, we'll both be 37-10. The difference? Orlando is 1-0 versus Cleveland. Not sure if there is such a 'tiebreaker', but I'm assuming there has to be in event of a tie like this could possibly be. And what is normally the determining tiebreaker?

Conspiracy theory? Or maybe this is a consolation to Cleveland since Mo didn't get selected as a reserve. :lol:
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#5 » by UCFJayBird » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:14 am

it's very possible SVG has indicated he has no desire to coach the game, thus Mike Brown wins by default.

Just a possibility.
Deezy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Deezy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:17 am

UCFJayBird wrote:it's very possible SVG has indicated he has no desire to coach the game, thus Mike Brown wins by default.

Just a possibility.

This could be true.

Then again, its probably best SVG doesn't coach. He'd be benching guys left and right for not giving a concerted effort on the defensive end.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#7 » by G-Heel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:20 am

Since Cleveland wins tonight game, they're at worse tied with us by Feb 1st. Yes, we own the tie-breaker but it's don't work that way. Because if Magic and Cavs have the same record, they'll look at who coach the ASG last, which is Stan.. so Stan won't go, but Mike Brown will if Cavs and Magic own the same record.
Fire Otis!
Magicfn1
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#8 » by Magicfn1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 am

Didn't they say on Thursday that incase of a tie, Brown would be the coach due to Stan already having coached in an all star game?
OrlMagic911
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by OrlMagic911 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:22 am

I think I remember reading in the O-Sen that the "tiebreaker" that exists isn't necessarily by record...instead, it goes by who coached the All-Star game last, which would be SVG.
You Gotta Believe......MAGIC
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#10 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:24 am

Deezy wrote:Inspector Gadget time.

"Head coaches for the East and West All-Star teams are based on teams with the best winning-percentage in each conference through games played on Sunday, Feb. 3."

Interesting. Now, considering we hold the tiebreaker over Cleveland, and the fact that we both have 2 games before the 'cut-off', I just don't see how they can make this declaration already.

If we win both games and Cleveland splits, we'll both be 37-10. The difference? Orlando is 1-0 versus Cleveland. Not sure if there is such a 'tiebreaker', but I'm assuming there has to be in event of a tie like this could possibly be. And what is normally the determining tiebreaker?

Conspiracy theory? Or maybe this is a consolation to Cleveland since Mo didn't get selected as a reserve. :lol:

go go gadget fact checker:

there is no Sunday, Feb 3rd. there is however a Sunday Feb 1st. and a Tuesday Feb 3rd.

a few guys on the board had already commented that this Sunday was the cut-off, so i'm guessing that Cleveland's win today sealed the deal.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#11 » by magicman123 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 am

its cool, stan > brown :rocking:
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 am

SVG probably turned down the chance to coach for fear the lack of defense might make his head explode.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#13 » by mhectorgato » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 am

I'd imagine that Stan would prefer to spend time with his family.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#14 » by MagicMadness » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 am

Yeah, there was a thread about this.

The Magic had to beat Toronto, and the Cavs had to drop tonight's game and then lose to Detroit on Sunday for SVG and his coaching staff to make it.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#15 » by Shishnizzle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:41 am

Good now they can stop crying about how they have only one player at the all star game.

They deserve it though. Great 1st half. I still think their coach is an ass. He just gets on my nerves. Him and George Karl.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#16 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:37 am

BigCityCat wrote:Good now they can stop crying about how they have only one player at the all star game.

They deserve it though. Great 1st half. I still think their coach is an ass. He just gets on my nerves. Him and George Karl.

George Karl is a b**** (anyone remember when he told GQ he didn't wear underwear at games, at they printed it on the jumbotron during Bucks playoff series?), but he's 100x smarter than Mike Brown is. Mike Brown is a b-side Doc Rivers. Karl is way out of his league, coaching-wise.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#17 » by EasternMagic » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 am

When you publicly state that you do not want to coach the all star game, you probably wont get the gig
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#18 » by ORL » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:30 am

OrlMagic911 wrote:I think I remember reading in the O-Sen that the "tiebreaker" that exists isn't necessarily by record...instead, it goes by who coached the All-Star game last, which would be SVG.

Yeap. This was in one of the Sentinel articles following the Cavs game. Not sure where they pulled it from, but the quote is:

Brown has the edge

Before the game, Van Gundy and Cleveland Coach Mike Brown were vying to coach the East all-stars. But Brown needed just one win to earn the job and also enjoyed the tiebreaker over Van Gundy because Van Gundy had most recently coached in the game (2005, with the Miami Heat).

It sort of makes sense because the league already prohibits a coach coaching this thing twice in a row.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#19 » by drsd » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Brown to coach Eastern Conference
Comment Email Print
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Cavaliers coach Mike Brown will lead the Eastern Conference in the NBA All-Star game Feb. 15 in Phoenix.
He'll be joined by the Lakers' Phil Jackson. All-Star coaches are picked from the teams with the best winning percentage in each conference.
Boston's Doc Rivers is ineligible because he coached in last season's game, even though the Celtics (.813) are ahead of Cleveland (.800).
Brown is the second Cavs coach to lead an All-Star team, after Lenny Wilkens in 1989.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#20 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Good, now we don't have to tank the Toronto game.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379

Return to Orlando Magic