ImageImageImageImage

Game #58: Pistons @ Magic Feb. 27th 7 p.m.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Re: Game #58: Pistons @ Magic Feb. 27th 7 p.m. 

Post#421 » by HeroicKennedy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 am

Piston fan, just curious.

Are you as frustrated facing us as we are facing the Jazz? It seems like similar situations. No matter how good we are/were, Utah always seems to beat us.
turdstorm
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#422 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 am

sheed said it best "we like to play physical, they don't"
turdstorm
Sophomore

Post#423 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:14 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:Piston fan, just curious.

Are you as frustrated facing us as we are facing the Jazz? It seems like similar situations. No matter how good we are/were, Utah always seems to beat us.

there's a difference between Utah somehow winning against you guys and what happens in magic-pistons games. We simply get out hustled and can't keep up with the physical play for 48 minutes.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#424 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am

MagicMadness wrote:SVG's post game comments have helped me cope with the loss. He said all the things I was thinking - and his answer to the question about Pietrus was hilarious. I'm going to read or listen to it again later.

PISTONS ARE OUR DADDY

lol @ Magic

I laughed out loud at the Pietrus thing. I've suspected that SVG doesn't like Pietrus. I still don't know if that's true, but my suspicions grow.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#425 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am

I don't think anything could possible compare to the anger and hatred i have for the Detroit Pistons, like I said earlier I am so mad at this game it's hard for me not to blow up on the piston fans in this thread even though you are all being completely fine and nice. (also like i said before not mad at you mad at the game..) but boy do I strongly dislike the pistons
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#426 » by taruky1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am

FFBlitzace wrote:
taruky1 wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:I don't blame anybody except for our players. Their refusal to toughen up and not get bullied by this team is inexcusable. Until that happens, they will continue to get dominated by this team, and any other physical team.

So what do you suggest? We start setting moving picks? We foul guys harder? How do you match a team that's allowed to do whatever the heck they want with impunity from the officials? This game was absolutely atrociously officiated. I really don't think this was a toughness issue. The Magic played hard. The limitation in how we could play their guards was established very early.

I just disagree. I think we visibly folded in the 2nd half. We got completely outworked. The refs let them get away with a lot, but by using that as an excuse, I think it's a cop out. I think that's why we're such a mediocre team now. Instead of admitting to ourselves that we're soft and need to toughen up, they just make excuses all night long. And they'll never get any better with that mentality.

So you're talking about mental toughness. Because I certainly think the effort was there and the team played hard. All it takes is a few of those ticky tack calls to change the way the defense has to play. And all it takes is a few non-calls the other way to give the defense the confidence to get inside your shirt.

I don't think NBA officials favor the Pistons or have some love for Detroit. I do think that they make calls based on anticipation or what they think should happen rather than what they see. That goes for individual players (e.g. there's no way Brian Scalarini just blocked Kobe Bryant, it must have been a foul) and for teams (well that's the way the Pistons always play, if we call that this game will go on until tomorrow morning).
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#427 » by flyingvee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:16 am

Cammo101 wrote:We don't need a bruiser down low. McDyess would just pull him out and rain down jumpers. We just need Shard to work harder on defense.

You still don't get it do you? How long have you watched playoff basketball? Do you honestly think that Lewis can work harder on defense? He's been a 3 his whole career and even played sg, he cant play the 4 for moments but not tough enough for teams liek the Pistons or Celtics or even Cavs for that matter. We have no one tough our team other than Howard. In fact I think little NAte Robinson is tougher than anyone on our team other than Dwight.
supwitheddie
Freshman

Post#428 » by supwitheddie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 am

FFBlitzace wrote:
MagicMadness wrote:SVG's post game comments have helped me cope with the loss. He said all the things I was thinking - and his answer to the question about Pietrus was hilarious. I'm going to read or listen to it again later.

PISTONS ARE OUR DADDY

lol @ Magic

I laughed out loud at the Pietrus thing. I've suspected that SVG doesn't like Pietrus. I still don't know if that's true, but my suspicions grow.

Damn i miss the Postgame, where can i see/read it?
turdstorm
Sophomore

Post#429 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 am

lol on the radio dwight was asked about pistons playing physical ball and he said "well they're always allowed to be more physical."
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#430 » by MagicMadness » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:22 am

I think its a combo of the Magic feeling a sense of dread + the Pistons feeling overly-confident (which is obviously justified) and up to the task.

Also the fact that Detroit's bigs just have a way of shutting us down...

The Magic have a huge mental hurdle to jump when it comes to Detroit. They just haven't been able to clear it yet, and who knows if/when it will happen.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#431 » by ivDT » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:23 am

supwitheddie wrote:As I said the last time we lost to the Pistons.....

When a team is very physical the entire game, and the other team(the Magic), are not, we will not get the calls. If the officials see nothing but rough play from one team they get used to it. The only way we will ever beat the Pistons is if we match them blow for blow.

i'd say it goes well beyond that. teams like the pistons have reputations with the refs that go back several seasons. if we're going to play physical basketball and have the refs respect if by giving (or not giving) us the calls then we'll have to establish a reputation for doing that over the course of an entire season. it's not something that you can just turn on and off from game to game; especially not in the playoffs.

problem is, we don't have the personality to do anything of the sort.
supwitheddie
Freshman

Post#432 » by supwitheddie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am

ivDT wrote:

When a team is very physical the entire game, and the other team(the Magic), are not, we will not get the calls. If the officials see nothing but rough play from one team they get used to it. The only way we will ever beat the Pistons is if we match them blow for blow.

i'd say it goes well beyond that. teams like the pistons have reputations with the refs that go back several seasons. if we're going to play physical basketball and have the refs respect if by giving (or not giving) us the calls then we'll have to establish a reputation for doing that over the course of an entire season. it's not something that you can just turn on and off from game to game; especially not in the playoffs.

Yeh we have no one tough on this team. This is a Mickey Mouse family friendly team.
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#433 » by taruky1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am

turdstorm wrote:sheed said it best "we like to play physical, they don't"

So someone help me understand a little bit about what being physical means. Hacking Dwight on the arm and not getting called for it; is that an example of being physical? If that gets called for an "and-one", does that change from physical to stupid? The guy landing on Hedo's head at the end of the game; is that physical, or just dumb because if it's called it could potentially be a 4-point play.

To me, a physical team is a team with a lot of size and muscle. Dwight is a physical player, but he also doesn't get away with many fouls.

If officials want to call a game loosely, that is fine but BE CONSISTENT, LET IT GO BOTH WAYS.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#434 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:29 am

flyingvee wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:We don't need a bruiser down low. McDyess would just pull him out and rain down jumpers. We just need Shard to work harder on defense.

You still don't get it do you? How long have you watched playoff basketball? Do you honestly think that Lewis can work harder on defense? He's been a 3 his whole career and even played sg, he cant play the 4 for moments but not tough enough for teams liek the Pistons or Celtics or even Cavs for that matter. We have no one tough our team other than Howard. In fact I think little NAte Robinson is tougher than anyone on our team other than Dwight.

I semi agree/disagree with you. Shard CAN play at the 4 against the cavs and celts... It's just the damn Pistons. Thats why I said earlier we should screw with the rotation some the pistons have a huge line up anyways so why not try:

Rafer
Hedo
Shard
Battie
Howard

I mean Stan said it in his post game interview, In his two years here nothing has worked agains the Pistons. So might as well shake the line up up a little bit.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#435 » by magicman123 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 am

should of traded hedo for a pf?
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#436 » by ivDT » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:43 am

magicman123 wrote:should of traded hedo for a pf?

who?
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#437 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:45 am

I didn't even get to see this game and I'm totally depressed by it. I have a guy at work who has a pretty in depth knowledge of basketball. He listens to the games at work and always says the same thing, "It's Van Gundy not letting the players play to their strengths". He thinks that he has the team buying into raining 3's and not doing anything else. He always talks about how Rashard got his 3 all star appearances by playing his back to the basket,that if they put a 4 on him his quickness allows him to take the guy, a 3 he can shoot over. He also says all that spreading the floor allows the other team to get the rebound if your player misses the shot. He says Dwight will get his 20 rebounds, but imagine if we had other guys in the paint getting rebounds as well... I've been holding off on agreeing with him but one thing I cant disagree with is I now don't see us getting anywhere in the post season playing the way we play now... :x
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#438 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:46 am

Alas... Here I sit with my Dwight Jersey looking like a chump... :(
Kid50
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#439 » by Kid50 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:54 am

ivDT wrote:

Co-Sign
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#440 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:54 am

Wont star blaming Stan, don't want to see those threads come up...

Return to Orlando Magic