ImageImageImageImage

Hedo for Smith in the offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Mannchild
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 272

Hedo for Smith in the offseason? 

Post#1 » by Mannchild » Sat Mar 7, 2009 7:53 pm

Anyone think theres a chance we could do a sign and trade for Josh Smith in the offseason? Seems like Smith and Woodson had a falling out this season and a lot of people seem to think that Smith will not be returning next year.

Nelson/Alston
Lee/Redick
Lewis/Pietrus
Smith/Battie
Howard/Gortat
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
And1: 98

Re: Hedo for Smith in the offseason? 

Post#2 » by Hotshot Hower » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:02 pm

man, I only wish.

(Re-Signed Turk @ $9-10 mill + Draft Rights to Frannie) would get it done.

Would Otis bite? I sure as hell know ATL would. (assuming Woodson is still there this offseason)
Superman
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Superman » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:05 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... tercation/

Do you really want all that in our team though? And I guarantee you, SVG will get in his face 100% harder than Woodson can....
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#4 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:19 pm

There's no way Turkoglu gets us Josh Smith, sorry. I don't think Turkoglu, Lee, and a first would get us Smith.

I think Hedo fits our system better anyway--or someone like Hedo. Smith is just a smaller Dwight with a lil more range on his J. Good player, but I dunno if he fits our style of ball.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:21 pm

Superman wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57755/20090307/smith_woodson_get_into_altercation/

Do you really want all that in our team though? And I guarantee you, SVG will get in his face 100% harder than Woodson can....

Smith and Dwight have been friends since childhood. If we got Smith, Dwight would keep him in check
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by magicfanatic23 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:25 pm

I'd seriously consider. Smith is a lot younger, much more athletic and a much better defensive player. Plus, Rashard would slide back to the 3 spot. I think it definitely would be a good move it was just Hedo+Filler for J Smith.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#7 » by EasternMagic » Sat Mar 7, 2009 9:02 pm

Superman wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57755/20090307/smith_woodson_get_into_altercation/

I'd much rather have him than Rasheed Wallace
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#8 » by ivDT » Sat Mar 7, 2009 9:21 pm

we'd have to bring in someone to pickup the slack as a secondary playmaker. maybe we can convince the hawks to send us joe johnson as part of the deal?
Hotshot Hower
Veteran

Post#9 » by Hotshot Hower » Sat Mar 7, 2009 10:05 pm

It's all about Atlanta. It's a dysfuctional family even through ownership. I would bet anyone a million dollars if J-Smoove was here (and winning) he and we (the Magic) wouldn't have a problem.

But when you have a team full of forwards who are still pretty young and raw and ZERO consistency in winning ball games and with this being J-Smoove's (5th year) I'd be pretty upset too. Atl Hawks ownership has no idea how to run, build, and sustain a successful basketball team.

They spend all that $ on Joe Johnson (well spent) but are crippled with under-acheiving basketball players either out of there prime or players who can't stay healthy.

Hell, who knows if they even have a director of player development...

So, I think J-Smoove would fit in nicley but @ what cost is the question and being in the same divison doesn't help really our chances... (see SVG to Orl for 2nd round pick)
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by EasternMagic » Sat Mar 7, 2009 10:30 pm

The big thing is if we are going to lose Hedo, do we want to replace him with another SF or a real PF, I mean Smith can play both, but he's a SF and that's what he usually plays. I honestly have mixed feelings on the idea, I would like to have Rashard at SF but I also love having him spread the floor as the PF.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:00 pm

ivDT wrote:we'd have to bring in someone to pickup the slack as a secondary playmaker. maybe we can convince the hawks to send us joe johnson as part of the deal?

we'd still have Meer and Skip to My Lou making plays
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 11:02 pm

magicfanatic23 wrote:I'd seriously consider. Smith is a lot younger, much more athletic and a much better defensive player. Plus, Rashard would slide back to the 3 spot. I think it definitely would be a good move it was just Hedo+Filler for J Smith.

plus no more Hedo bonehead plays
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Diehardmagicfan » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:21 am

i would love to have josh smith here but being in same division it might cost us
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:38 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
magicfanatic23 wrote:I'd seriously consider. Smith is a lot younger, much more athletic and a much better defensive player. Plus, Rashard would slide back to the 3 spot. I think it definitely would be a good move it was just Hedo+Filler for J Smith.

plus no more Hedo bonehead plays

I could definitely breathe easier while watching the game lol.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#15 » by richboy » Sun Mar 8, 2009 1:07 am

I kind of rather have Troy Murphy than Josh Smith. Nothing against Smith but does he really fit our style. While Murphy is pretty much Rashard Lewis but with much better rebounding.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#16 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 8, 2009 1:11 am

Interesting idea, but the last time we had someone like him, not saying the same caliber though, we traded that guy for Cook and Mo.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Mar 8, 2009 1:20 am

lol @ richboy basically saying Troy Murphy is better than Rashard Lewis. Just be quiet, kid.

I'd do Turk for Smith in a hot second. Smith is on a whole 'nother level than Ariza, btw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#18 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Mar 8, 2009 1:23 am

richboy wrote:I kind of rather have Troy Murphy than Josh Smith. Nothing against Smith but does he really fit our style. While Murphy is pretty much Rashard Lewis but with much better rebounding.

LMAO @ saying Murphy = Rashard :lol: :crazy:
Hotshot Hower
Veteran

Post#19 » by Hotshot Hower » Sun Mar 8, 2009 2:16 am

it something to possibly look @ it especially if Otis and Hedo's agent can't agree on a price tag this summer.

it'd be a block party every night.

shard could play the 3 / use more energy on the offensive scheme of things.

invest in Smoove for NOW and FUTURE, while Turk has 2-3 years of consistent production left (@ best)

we'd still have a playmaker/assist man in Alston who is in the last year of his deal.

we won't be players in 2010. (maybe MLE @ most, doubt it if MP is here and/or Turk is re-signed)
this would be a nice piece. especially if it were to cost us only two/three assets; one being Turk, filler, future pick or fran rights.

maybe J-Smoove and Woodson continue to butt heads and perhaps lowers J-Smoove's price tag this summer...
Hotshot Hower
Veteran

Post#20 » by Hotshot Hower » Sun Mar 8, 2009 2:17 am

it something to possibly look @ it especially if Otis and Hedo's agent can't agree on a price tag this summer.

it'd be a block party every night.

shard could play the 3 / use more energy on the offensive scheme of things.

invest in Smoove for NOW and FUTURE, while Turk has 2-3 years of consistent production left (@ best)

we'd still have a playmaker/assist man in Alston who is in the last year of his deal.

we won't be players in 2010. (maybe MLE @ most, doubt it if MP is here and/or Turk is re-signed)
this would be a nice piece. especially if it were to cost us only two/three assets; one being Turk, filler, future pick or fran rights.

maybe J-Smoove and Woodson continue to butt heads and perhaps lowers J-Smoove's price tag this summer...

Return to Orlando Magic