ImageImageImageImage

WT: Raptors Want to Sign & Trade Marion

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

WT: Raptors Want to Sign & Trade Marion 

Post#1 » by EasternMagic » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 pm

I started a thread about Marion wanting win, now the raptors want to do S&T with him, thoughts?
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... de_marion/
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Re: WT: Raptors Want to Sign & Trade Marion 

Post#2 » by trebone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 pm

I feel if we S&T hedo it really needs to be for a true pf, I like marion but he would not be a good fit here IMO he had his problems in phoenix not getting enough "shots" I think it would be even worse here
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#3 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:45 pm

^I feel like he would like it here, and he wants to play for a contending team, not to take anything away from Toronto, but we are more in contention that they are right now and Marion said he wants to play for a contending team, he rebounds well, and that can only help
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by magicfanatic23 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:05 am

I'd like a true PF more than anyone but I think for the same price, Marion could be better than Hedo. We can't just live and die by the 3 anymore if we want to go all the way.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#5 » by MMFla » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 am

He was very good in the Suns system, I remember he was the number 1 pick in fantasy leagues not to long ago. That said we are a shooting team and his shot is u-g-l-y you aint got no alibi ugly, he would be nice for the running and getting rebounds but what concerns me is his age and his attitude. I wouldn't mind him here but what would it cost to get him?
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#6 » by ORL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 am

Keep him away. Don't like him one bit. That's one ugly jump shot.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#7 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 am

If anything, Lewis' knee problems are just a cry for a true PF that can give him some relief. I would not be surprised to see Gortat retained, Hedo gone, a trade to snag a SF/PF in the draft, and make a move to get a true PF.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#8 » by EasternMagic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 am

eh.. you guys arent seeing the differences of Marion at the PF than Lewis.. Marion is a good rebounder, a good shot blocker, and used to rank in the leagues best in steals... he would fit in fine..
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#9 » by lovehoops01 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 am

It will be interesting to see how much he makes in the offseason.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way Marion played in Phoenix, though they were a crappy defensive team. But the problem is....why didn't he play better for the Heat? He had some good players on the court with him -- one of the league's best in fact.

And, even more than that, when the Suns were winning, he got his nose out of joint because he said Amare and Steve Nash got all the attention and everyone ignored the work he did. If he had played better for the Heat, he would have been able to get that attention in Miami. I just wonder why he didn't.

Marion and Hedo aren't the only guys whose free-agency decisions will be interesting this summer. Of course, there is Rasheed, David Lee and Lamar Odom (though he reportedly said he will take less to play for the Lakers. But I doubt he would go as low as the midlevel). The Magic need a good player they want to say that about them.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 483

Post#10 » by TheChaser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm

I think Hedo for Marion isn't a bad idea at all. He can and will rebound and shot block.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#11 » by mhectorgato » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:It will be interesting to see how much he makes in the offseason.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way Marion played in Phoenix, though they were a crappy defensive team. But the problem is....why didn't he play better for the Heat? He had some good players on the court with him -- one of the league's best in fact.

And, even more than that, when the Suns were winning, he got his nose out of joint because he said Amare and Steve Nash got all the attention and everyone ignored the work he did. If he had played better for the Heat, he would have been able to get that attention in Miami. I just wonder why he didn't.

Marion and Hedo aren't the only guys whose free-agency decisions will be interesting this summer. Of course, there is Rasheed, David Lee and Lamar Odom (though he reportedly said he will take less to play for the Lakers. But I doubt he would go as low as the midlevel). The Magic need a good player they want to say that about them.

O'Neil is now starting to make comments about his lack of involvement in offense. These are the same comments that Marion was making.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#12 » by EasternMagic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Ya the heat have their offense geared for Dwayne Wade and Dwayne Wade only
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#13 » by DHoward4Mvp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Didnt Marion make 16 million last year?? You would think he knows hes going to have to accept less to play for a contender, so say, i know a lot of you dont want to pay Hedo 10 mill, neither do i. Would you want to see them sign Marion for 10 mill?? I dont..... I like Marion, good player, does a lot of things good.Butttt... We are still playing with the 2 sf lineup,and i dont really like that.....
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#14 » by EasternMagic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:26 am

DHoward4Mvp wrote:Didnt Marion make 16 million last year?? You would think he knows hes going to have to accept less to play for a contender, so say, i know a lot of you dont want to pay Hedo 10 mill, neither do i. Would you want to see them sign Marion for 10 mill?? I dont..... I like Marion, good player, does a lot of things good.Butttt... We are still playing with the 2 sf lineup,and i dont really like that.....

I would... just cause Marion Rebounds and Blocks shots and can get steals.... He's more capable to play the 4 than shard. And he is fast and can shoot
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#15 » by FFBlitzace » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 am

I don't blame the Heat. Marion has never been able to consistently create his own offense. Their best bet with their roster is to give the ball to Wade and let him go to work. JO used to be a good post player, but now he can barely jump over a piece of paper and just shoots jumpers all day long (at a mediocre percentage). So in both cases I think they're just being delusional.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#16 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 am

ORL wrote:Keep him away. Don't like him one bit. That's one ugly jump shot.

It goes in though. The mechanics of it are amazing though; in that he made it to the pros with his shot.

Personally, I think Marion would fit PERFECT here. However, his salary is absolutely too much so he'd have to S&T for significantly less.

With Rafer here I wouldn't mind giving up Hedo at this point. Marion masquerades a lot better at the 4 than Lewis does and Marion possesses more 4-like offensive capabilities as well as on the defensive side.

Our playmaking would likely deteriorate though Lee is improving there and Rafer is great there, Meer ain't bad either. Hedo is finally becoming somewhat expendible.

Also, Marion here does not address the problem of a "go to" guy that we're lacking. Jameer is the closest we have after Hedo, I've never really seen Marion create his own shot before (like Lewis) so there'd be a bit too much duplicity between Lewis/Marion for my liking but he'd be a good target for a departing Hedo trade.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#17 » by TNMagicFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 pm

He doesn't help us IMO
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Force9024 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 am

Marion is a nice perimeter defender, steals, rebounds, blocks shots and can slash and score... Him and Lewis would be a nice tandem to have because they can switch out pending matchups, and that makes it nice to have. At this point I agree with what some have said if our shots aren't going in from 3 we are in trouble.. I'd love to draft a PF either way.. But Marion to Orlando could make a lot of sense. He brings things to the table we need.
SevereMagic
Banned User

Post#19 » by SevereMagic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 am

LOL ... nope, next

lock n destroy

Return to Orlando Magic