ImageImageImageImage

Courtney will NOT go down in infamy

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Re: Courtney will NOT go down in infamy 

Post#21 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 12:14 pm

Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#22 » by CourtsideTV » Mon Jun 8, 2009 12:48 pm

i dont blame lee for that...he wasn't even playing the entire fourth..he had no rhtym...it was an overthrow and he tried to keep in mind the shot clock.
Work Hard
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#23 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:08 pm

Cover story on Yahoo! Sports's NBA page:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#24 » by magicman123 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:13 pm

we could only wish his bounce back would be in the finals, because since he got injured he hasn't been the same yet
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#25 » by taruky1 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:20 pm

I think people are making too much of that play. It was not an easy play at all for Courtney. He was under the basket a little and Gasol forced him to adjust the shot a little. Makeable, yes. Goat miss, no.

Courtney also was the recipient of a terrible no-call on another missed layup. I can't believe nobody is talking about Odom hacking him near the end of regulation. It wasn't even close.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#26 » by Magicalltheway » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:32 pm

He went under the basket because he is not strong enough to control his body up in the air. CLee will become stronger he needs to. Had he had 20 more lbs of muscle he would not have gone under the basket and as difficult a shot that was he would be able to make it. I dont feel bad at all about his miss as we did not lose the game because of that. 20Tos 2-9 for JJ, 1-8 for Rafer is what lost us this game. I still love Clee he will be a heck of a player for us. In next year and years to come we wont even be talking about his missed layups but all the amazing things that he has done.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#27 » by MagicMadness » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:38 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:I'll be honest when he missed the alley oop I immediately thought Nick Anderson. he's an nBA player, he should have made the shot there was NOBODY near him

Pau Gasol was there.

Lee will not be remembered for that play. Whenever Nick Anderson gets interviewed, the missed free throws come up. People aren't going to be asking Lee about a missed shot at the end of regulation that didn't either win nor lose a game in the Finals years from now the way Anderson still gets it to this day.

I was mad that Lee missed that shot. But there is absolutely no way he'll be remembered for it.

Now if Gasol wasn't on him and he missed it, that would be a different story.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#28 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:52 pm

The pass was just off target, which forced Courtney to be a bit closer to the baseline and not close enough to the basket. I'm not mad that he missed the shot or even that we drew up a play for a rookie who was ice cold. It was just frustrating watching 20 turnovers and no sign of a point guard wanting to step up. I was at the point where if I saw Turkoglu struggle to get across half court one more time i was going to punch a wall. For Christ's sake they could have called that offensive foul every time down because he was just using his right arm to push Ariza out of the way over and over.

No point guard play, no real rotation, no help from the refs, and Phil refusal to sway from his gameplan of packing the paint yet we are 1 layup away from a tied series. This makes me confidant that things will be different next game. We can win all 3 in Orlando.

PS: If every play went through Dwight and he was fouled on 85-90% of his touches, how does he only shoot 9 free throws? Am i missing something?
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#29 » by TheRevTy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 2:56 pm

Yeah, that's an easy shot...
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#30 » by magicmamma » Mon Jun 8, 2009 3:47 pm

It's incredibly silly to pick out a player to be "responsible" for the loss. Other than Rashard, who isn't responsible? How about those 5 missed FTs in a row, if you want a comparison to Nick? What about Dwight's 7 turnovers and all his teammates who helped bring the total to 20?

What I liked was the way all of his teammates ran to hug Courtney and even congratulate him on the attempt. It almost looked like he had made the shot.

By the way, we have three games coming up with little Gina singing the national anthem. That child believes she's making the team win. The guys can't break her heart.
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#31 » by taruky1 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:06 pm

TheRevTy wrote:Image

Yeah, that's an easy shot...

That picture is a little misleading, lol. He was in front of the backboard when he released the ball. If you take a picture of almost anyone with some momentum after a layup they will be under the basket. It was not an easy shot but was no circus shot either. I think if Hedo throws the ball closer to the rim Gasol possibly gets a hand on it.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#32 » by raleigh » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:59 pm

Non-Magic fan here.

I think Lee made the shot look a bit easier than it really was. It would have been a terrific shot, had it gone in.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#33 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:00 pm

Pretty pissed that Gasol got away with goaltending. He got enough of the net where you could see the rim shake a bit.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
1CLee1
Junior

Post#34 » by 1CLee1 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:02 pm

i expect courtney to come out on fire in game 3 and throw it down on kobe just as he did lebron
boricua_basket
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#35 » by boricua_basket » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:03 pm

Not much of a goal tending, Lee's shot wasn't going to go in.

...as posted previously, Lee's got ICE in his veins... he'll be iight for game 3... i predict we slaughter the lakers in game 3...
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#36 » by TheRevTy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:05 pm

For those of you that watched Lee at WKU, how did he usually respond to poor games? Did he go on long slumps, or come back harder?
gofret
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#37 » by gofret » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:11 pm

boricua_basket wrote:Not much of a goal tending, Lee's shot wasn't going to go in.

...as posted previously, Lee's got ICE in his veins... he'll be iight for game 3... i predict we slaughter the lakers in game 3...

yup no need to blame the refs.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#38 » by USA » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:13 pm

I though it was a good look and a tough shot to make considering his momentum. Tough luck on it not falling. I was convinced he was going to make it as soon as I seen Kobe get picked.

AdamTheGreek wrote:Pretty pissed that Gasol got away with goaltending. He got enough of the net where you could see the rim shake a bit.

Leagues take.
NBA supervisor of officials Bernie Fryer told ESPN.com that if Gasol's hand had shaken the basket, caused the stanchion to move or touched the rim while the ball was on the rim, the correct call would have been goaltending.

But since none of those things happened, according to Fryer, "It was a cut-and-dried no-call."
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#39 » by Joel Embust » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:15 pm

After the finals, I'll remember 1st year player Lee as one of the best rookies of 2008. The most mature, best defensive rookie. I'll remember him for his steals and breakaway dunks, his dunk against the Raptors, his dunk on LeBron. Maybe I'll remember him as one of the key players during the Magic run from 0-2 down to win it all.

Courtney Lee is a baller and he'll be ready to do some damage in Florida.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,304

Post#40 » by eyriq » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't really see it, that play was far from a gimme. He could have been a hero, failing at that does not make one a choker. Missing free throws or gimmes does that.

Return to Orlando Magic