ImageImageImageImage

ESPN: Game 2 Diary

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

ESPN: Game 2 Diary 

Post#1 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:20 pm

Simmons: Take a retro look at Game 2
Game 2 might not have been an all-time classic, but it will save the '09 Finals from going down as a clunker for the ages, writes Bill Simmons.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Re: ESPN: Game 2 Diary 

Post#2 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:24 pm

1:10: Just for comedy's sake, Ariza finally gets called for a non-shooting foul on Turkoglu. I enjoyed that.

:lol:

so true
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by EasternMagic » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:34 pm

Bill Simmons showing us love? what???
On CLee missed layup:
Do me a favor: Go to a playground with a buddy, bring a 7-foot guy with you, stand at midcourt, then sprint toward the basket, have a buddy throw a lob pass that you'll catch as you're passing under the backboard, then have the 7-foot guy jump at you and grab the rim for good measure. Try this 100 times and see how many you make. Put it this way: If Lee made that shot, it's one of the great plays in the history of the Finals. So you can't give him a crap. You just can't. That would have been an AMAZING (that's right, I went all caps) pass/shot and ranked right up there with Ralph Sampson's series-winner in the '86 Western finals on the "I can't believe they drew that up and then pulled it off" scale.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#4 » by EasternMagic » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:35 pm

Orlando ran such a sneaky back screen that Kobe fouled Lee twice -- once as he started making his cut (a bump), then a second time when he grabbed Lee's arm as Lee ran by Howard's screen to unsuccessfully slow him down (no call) --
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:39 pm

Bryant bumped Lee....but it was not a foul ....... as the whistle didn't blow.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#6 » by EasternMagic » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:48 pm

craig01 wrote:Bryant bumped Lee....but it was not a foul ....... as the whistle didn't blow.

ehh... it was a foul technically and the arm grab was too... but you don't call that in that time in the game...
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#7 » by crazytown » Mon Jun 8, 2009 11:04 pm

Laker fans are going to love this column :lol:
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#8 » by magicfanatic23 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 11:05 pm

That was actually some well written, entertaining stuff. Good work by Simmons. He dislikes the Magic but his hate for the Lakers is 100X worse.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by SpaceCoastGator » Mon Jun 8, 2009 11:40 pm

EasternMagic wrote:Bill Simmons showing us love? what???
On CLee missed layup:
Do me a favor: Go to a playground with a buddy, bring a 7-foot guy with you, stand at midcourt, then sprint toward the basket, have a buddy throw a lob pass that you'll catch as you're passing under the backboard, then have the 7-foot guy jump at you and grab the rim for good measure. Try this 100 times and see how many you make. Put it this way: If Lee made that shot, it's one of the great plays in the history of the Finals. So you can't give him a crap. You just can't. That would have been an AMAZING (that's right, I went all caps) pass/shot and ranked right up there with Ralph Sampson's series-winner in the '86 Western finals on the "I can't believe they drew that up and then pulled it off" scale.

I was going to post this on the other CLee thread. Great points...good article.
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#10 » by taruky1 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 12:44 am

Funny, I was going crazy that nobody else saw the CLEAR hack on C. Lee by Odom with a couple minutes left in regulation. Everyone is blaming Courtney for missing the layup, but Odom fouled the crap out of him. I'm so glad Simmons saw that. As for Ariza's defense, my respect for Ariza's defensive prowess went down a couple notches. He was getting away with murder, then Hedo gets called for a ticky tack offensive foul. That's called inconsistency. If you are going to give the defender that kind of leeway, then you need to let the offensive player be a little physical as well.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#11 » by Neon1 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 1:17 am

A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#12 » by Big A All Day » Tue Jun 9, 2009 1:38 am

LMAO thats wrong but funny as hell
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Dome » Tue Jun 9, 2009 5:31 am

Big A All Day wrote:

LMAO thats wrong but funny as hell

You know what would've been wrong? The Clip of seeing the Magic celebrate and LeBron James quickly walking into the lockerroom worked into this... :) I'm not sure Cavs fans could laugh about it though, but Knicks fans might... :oops:

Return to Orlando Magic