ImageImageImageImage

IS SVG a Finals Champion Coach for the Future?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 371

Re: IS SVG a Finals Champion Coach for the Future? 

Post#21 » by SloNick Russia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Give Stan healthy Nelson this series and LAL would GO DOWN FOR SURE. The games are as close as it gets with us obviously not at the full strength.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#22 » by maginno » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 pm

spinedoc wrote:Stan is a good coach, and I hope he learns from this, but he is slow to make adjustments. He's been slow the entire playoffs. It wasn't until his hand was forced with the Dwight suspension that he used Lewis properly, or he even started experimenting with a bigger lineup.

Don't see it that way. I rather think that Rashard decided to step up only when Dwight was out. I can't see that Stan told Rashard he couldn't take the ball to the hoop and thats the biggest difference in his game these playoffs

He tends to rely on what he knows too much and settles for the easy rather than the necessary.

I think thats a fair criticism but I dunno alot of people believe in the stick to what is working theory. they actually mark it as a trait of a good coach. I've always wanted to see a coach that was prepared to lose to find out what could be but I haven't found many. Its russian roulette for a coach in this league.

I said in another thread that I don't like the way he uses Hedo as a crutch late in games. Stan's imagination is lacking at times. I love the guy and love his plain talk, and he's a great guy, but this team plays scared late in games.

Oh come on Spine that one is way off. Most of these games have been nail biters because we have answered alot of shots with incredible poise for a team that has not been there before. The thing everyone is saying about this team is how resilient the team is. Theres no way that they play scared. You can't use imagination to find a player that can get to the hoop and yet can shoot from the outside. Besides rook Courtney thats been Hedo. In essence you are criticizing Stan over personnel decisions of Otis. Your saying his imagination should overcome for the lack of a go to player. Our idea of go to is a dunk and three pointer. Hedo is the only one who consistently does more.

I'd like to be much more dominant than what we are. I wish we were a more defensively focused team rather than an offensive one. I'm tired of relying on shooting streaks. I'd rather control the paint and the boards

Agreed but who besides Dwight is going to give you that outside of Gortat. I thought Stan did very well with getting these guys to play defense. My goodness I can't believe i am about to write this bu

JJ guarded Kobe and held his own.

Stan does a very good job of emphasizing defense.

And before anyone points out our stats as a defensive team, it is not near the powerhouse that I'm wishing for as a team.
[/quote][/quote]

tell Otis to go get a real PF. You are not going to control the boards with one rebounder.

Stan is far from perfect. his screaming is poor form but I think the board mentality that you can focus on one part and say there - we lost because of this factor - is much the same as - the refs hate us, Stern doesn't want us there etc, etc. lets face it. Dwight choked at the line. Worse. Hedo choked big time at the line. Rashard for all his millions was practically on vacation during the game and yet here are all these discussions about Stan. Its ridiculous.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#23 » by magicman123 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm

"Bensational"
he got the team to find a way to make 2 of the last 3 games go to OT. he adjusts.

hes part of the reason why we even went into the 2 overtimes..there was no excuse for last night, use your best defensive team period
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,821

Post#24 » by SOUL » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 pm

All Stan needs to realize is that playing good in 1 quarter doesnt mean anything for bench players. He's way too inconsistent with Lee, and JJ, and even Pietrus at times. Wonder how a healthy Nelson/Alston would be too.
yoyo65
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by yoyo65 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 pm

MagicMadness wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Yes, he's a top 3 coach in the league.

Yep. And lets not forget, he didn't miss that lay-up in Game 2. He didn't miss two free throws to seal a victory at the end of Game 4.

agreed stan also did not miss the 5 stright free throws in the 4th ourter in game 2 thats why we lost game 2
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,034

Post#26 » by Driguez » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:16 am

He gets my vote 100%. He is a major reason why we are in the finals.
Huevos Bancheros
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,981

Post#27 » by drsd » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 am

Defense wins championships, and Stan-the-Man is a defensive-minded coach.

What Orlando needs from StM in the future is some transition from defense to offense in the last five minutes of a game.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#28 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm

^^^That's easier said than done, not even the Suns could really do that late in games.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#29 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:56 pm

There's no doubt about it in my mind. He has his faults, but no coach is perfect.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#30 » by realfung » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:24 pm

enlightenment wrote:Is Jeff?

At least now, no one has bragging rights during Thanksgiving

hate those fakers fans
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#31 » by p0peye » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Hmmm, as I recall, we're two years removed from being laughed at and at the beginings of the season (or even the freakin' playoffs, when we're at it) there was noone who envisioned Magic as title contender in the Finals.

To answer the question: yes, I'd stick with Stan for 2 more seasons and see where he'll lead this team. If it doesn't work, as in we dont win no championships in that time span, I'd reconsider both coach and team.

Hopefully, Stan AND the players learns from this years losses in Finals and come hungrier next year ala Lakers today. That's especially goes for Dwight, cause this team can and will go the distance if he improves and becomes dominant offensively. If Dwight fails to improve, there could be more games like game 4.

Return to Orlando Magic