ImageImageImageImage

HEADS UP- Magic May Be Keeping Marcin

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Re: HEADS UP- Magic May Be Keeping Marcin 

Post#141 » by dsg2021 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Sorry RealMavsfan, ZB, others. Its no offense to Mavs and other fans, but Magic need to get best here. And we werent blowing smoke, we made fire instead. Blame your FO for not realizing they needed to S/T or something else.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#142 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:31 pm

mhectorgato wrote:*waits for the "RDV is cheap" posters to recant. I won't be holding my breath.

He is cheap :D
Realmavsman
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#143 » by Realmavsman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 pm

dsg2021 wrote:Sorry RealMavsfan, ZB, others. Its no offense to Mavs and other fans, but Magic need to get best here. And we werent blowing smoke, we made fire instead. Blame your FO for not realizing they needed to S/T or something else.

Good luck to you. We are disappointed because we think Gortat would have been a nice upgrade to Dampier. Still not sure why Magic FO wants to pay over 10 mil a year for a backup center behind the best center in the league but they must have thier own plan. I bet Gortat is a bit disappointed as well when he would have had a starting postion on a very good team. Now he gets to watch Dwight Howard play some more.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#144 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Realmavsman wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:Sorry RealMavsfan, ZB, others. Its no offense to Mavs and other fans, but Magic need to get best here. And we werent blowing smoke, we made fire instead. Blame your FO for not realizing they needed to S/T or something else.

Good luck to you. We are disappointed because we think Gortat would have been a nice upgrade to Dampier. Still not sure why Magic FO wants to pay over 10 mil a year for a backup center behind the best center in the league but they must have thier own plan. I bet Gortat is a bit disappointed as well when he would have had a starting postion on a very good team. Now he gets to watch Dwight Howard play some more.

Let me finish that last sentence for you:

"or gets traded to another team."
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,772

Post#145 » by SOUL » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Realmavsman wrote:

1. 5 years/34 million is not over 10 million a year. Not even close, actually.

2. No doubt Marcin would rather have started, but he is getting paid.

3. Him resigning was the best option for us.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#146 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Realmavsman wrote:

Umm... do the math again, closer to $ 7 Mil per yr.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#147 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Biggest winner out of all this: Rashard's knees.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#148 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Biggest winner out of all this: Rashard's knees.

:rofl: :nod:
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#149 » by Shishnizzle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Not if you count the luxury tax penalty.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#150 » by tranjSAIC » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Realmavsman wrote:

He said either which way he was going to be happy.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#151 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Biggest winner out of all this: Rashard's knees.

+1

That is a huge concern with him at the 4
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Realmavsman
Bench Warmer

Post#152 » by Realmavsman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Soul wrote:
Realmavsman wrote:

1. 5 years/34 million is not over 10 million a year. Not even close, actually.

2. No doubt Marcin would rather have started, but he is getting paid.

3. Him resigning was the best option for us.

I am sorry. Were you guys not aware of the luxury tax? Actually the figure is closer to 12 mil because the Magic are over the luxury tax mark so you pay double. So 5.8 for the 1st year is actually 11.6 mil.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,047

Post#153 » by dsg2021 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Realmavsman wrote:

I feel ya, I think Magic will trade him this deadline, but if not, this summer Mavs can trade for him, and Magic know Gortat wants there, so Cash/picks or a guard like JJ might do the trick. I to feel bad for Gortats min.s
Deezy
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#154 » by Deezy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Luxury tax is calculated at end of year payroll, not beginning. Thus, moving Gortat before the trade deadline will subsequently cost the incoming salary in said trade.

As of now, we have roughly $79M committed to 10 players (not counting Richardson's QO). We'll likely sign three minimum salary players and head into next season with an $82M payroll. If no moves are made and we stand pat at the deadline, we'll owe roughly $12M in luxury taxes. So, essentially, we're facing a $94M payroll.

I fully expect Gortat to be dealt, though. Whether that saves money or not is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in OKC.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#155 » by TheRevTy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Deezy, any guesses who we would target in a trade? Or even what position? We're kind of stacked...
fefe22
Senior
And1: 12

Post#156 » by fefe22 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Deezy wrote:Luxury tax is calculated at end of year payroll, not beginning. Thus, moving Gortat before the trade deadline will subsequently cost the incoming salary in said trade.

As of now, we have roughly $79M committed to 10 players (not counting Richardson's QO). We'll likely sign three minimum salary players and head into next season with an $82M payroll. If no moves are made and we stand pat at the deadline, we'll owe roughly $12M in luxury taxes. So, essentially, we're facing a $94M payroll.

I fully expect Gortat to be dealt, though. Whether that saves money or not is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in OKC.

We will really need Gortat in the playoffs, OKC has nobody who we need more than Gortat.
We can trade him to the Thunder for a TE (inmediate cap relief) next summer though, if we have Fran coming over.
If Fran comes only 2 years from now, we need Gortat for two more years..
He really is an important piece on our roster, and I really don't think we should trade him midseason.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#157 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Confirmed now, so let's move over to the other thread.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.

Return to Orlando Magic