ImageImageImageImage

Gortat wants to start at the 4, can it work ?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Gortat wants to start at the 4, can it work ? 

Post#1 » by freespirit9 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Well, gortat was on the radio today saying he was going to work hard for orlando next year, and that he just wants more minutes and stability. He says that he wants to start at the 4, and that he can knockdown shots from the outside and defend any 4 in the league.

So can it work or not ?

The lineup would change the dynamic of our team going from a shooter, to a low post player at the 4

But defensively that would be beastly and our rebounding would be alot better

PG: Nelson/AJ
SG: Vince/redick
SF: Lewis/Peaches
PF: Gorat/Anderson (can put bass or lewis in the mix)
C: Dwight/Bass (can put gorat in the mix)
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: Gortat wants to start at the 4, can it work ? 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 pm

If he can add a jumper to his arsenal.

I think he will eventually shoot well, as he's really pretty decent from the line and his mechanics are supportive.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Super_Mario_3
Senior
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Super_Mario_3 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 pm

1) Says he is happy to be back.
2) Says he wanted to play more minutes in Dallas but isn't upset Magic Matched and plans to battle for more minutes.
3) Says he is a celebrity in Poland and needs to have an entourage when he goes out.
4) Not sure if he is going to be traded after Dec 15
5) Says he knows he can play the Power Forward position. He Is doing more running, working on his footwork and adds that he can hit the jumper.
6) Said he was coming to camp to compete as the starter at power forward.

summary of what he said in the radio interview from omz
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#4 » by Viper1500 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Sure it could work, just needs to get a nice 18 foot jump shot.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#5 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

" IF " he can get a knockdown jumpshot and work on his "handles" more, than maybe. I don't see it happening though.
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#6 » by x- » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

He won't start, since it'll be very hard to manage the minutes this way, since he's Orlandos backup center. However he could get somewhere between 20-30 minutes, backing up Dwight and Bass.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#7 » by MitchellUK » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

I actually prefer the idea of Bass or Gortat starting at the 4. They don't necessarily need to play big starter's minutes - maybe 20-25mpg - but having one of them in the starting lineup leaves us with Peaches, Anderson, and one of Bass or Gortat to come off the bench.

Now whether or not it would work with Gortat as the starting 4 all depends on the kind of work he puts in on his game this summer. If he can come into training camp with a reliable 15ft jumper, then there is no doubt he could start at the 4 in this league. He's 6'11, but he's exceptionally mobile and athletic for a man so big, and should be ok going up against more nimble PFs like Bosh and co. Bass has already proved he can step out of the paint on offense, which is what guys are going to have to do if they play with Dwight. If Gortat does the same, then playing a twin towers lineup of no.12 and the Hammer is entirely conceivable.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#8 » by Shishnizzle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:58 pm

x- wrote:He won't start, since it'll be very hard to manage the minutes this way, since he's Orlandos backup center. However he could get somewhere between 20-30 minutes, backing up Dwight and Bass.

This is very rational, and I agree with you. Witch is amazing in itself. :D
rshepard1985
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#9 » by rshepard1985 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Start? NO

Play a significant amount of minutes between the 4 & 5? I don't see why not.

We have so many versatile players we can put numerous line ups out on the floor. Bass will start at the 4. Gortat can play 10 back up C minutes and 8 back up PF minutes. 18 minutes a game is solid. He'll probably get 8pts, 8rebs, 1.5 blocks a game

Between Howard, Bass, Anderson, & Gortat we are very solid up front. I know we were successful last season with Shard at the 4 but I don't see him playing very minutes there. Maybe only in late game situations. I think that MP will back both the SG and SF positions and JJ will be out of the mix again.
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#10 » by x- » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 am

On a side note:

Playing Bass and Gortat at the 4 for the most part changes the offense (a lot). SVG already mentionted he wanted to implement some elements of the triangle offense, in particular to improve the post-up offense.

Lewis and Anderson both have (very) good/effective post-up games for 3's (yes Anderson is a more of a 4, but he could see some minutes at the 3 as well), so Orlando will probably take advantage of that, especially if Howard is in foul trouble or goes against the elite post defenders and/or struggles (therefore).
RvM
Veteran
And1: 276

Post#11 » by RvM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:29 am

hmmm, it'd be an interesting frontcourt rotation if Gortat was at the starting 4.

Gortat/ Anderson / Rashard
Dwight / Bass /Gorat?

To me Bass would be a WAY better fit at the 4, because we know he can knock down that 18ft jumpshot, and will help defensively if he's starting. Plus I feel Anderson wouldn't be able to play the 5 so they'd have to use Bass at the 5, but I believe his true position should be at the 4.
RvM:42-31 when making Gamethreads.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#12 » by dsg2021 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:35 am

Gortat is a real live center. He has a jumper and mobility too tho, but he's a prototype center. He is the best insurance policy Magic/NBA have for C spot. I'd start Lewis or Bass at 4. Bass has way more accuracy at 2's. It aint no project for Bass to shoot, he alrdy does it with the best of the league statiscally proven. What I would suggest is maybe Gortat still tries playing alil 4 behind Bass or whoever too, and that Dwight gets a lil more rest this year for Gortat is a great center, and esp. in games well in hand.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 am

Well I think it could work. Depends really on what SVG wants to do like going small ball. However, there are some instances in the past where two C starting together could work( TD and Robinson, Pau and Bynum, Hakeem and Samson). I mean those combos arent exclusively known for an inside-outside punch.

IMO, SVG already tinkered with that in limited stretches last year no?
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#14 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 am

Here is the essence of adding Bass and keeping Gortat:

Small Lineup:
Meer/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Dwight

Traditional Lineup:
Meer/Carter/Lewis/Bass/Dwight

Large Lineup:
Meer/Carter/Lewis/Gortat/Dwight

To my estimation NO other team has that kind of flexibility, except MAYBE Cleveland, if you view playing Varajao at the 4 as a large lineup. They need another SF for when they want to go small with Lebron at the 4. Plus they lack a solid SG like Vince.
DontPushMe
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#15 » by DontPushMe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 am

x- wrote:He won't start, since it'll be very hard to manage the minutes this way, since he's Orlandos backup center. However he could get somewhere between 20-30 minutes, backing up Dwight and Bass.

not really... just take gortat out earlier in the half and get him his rest then, like they used to do with hedo

i think it would only hurt ryan anderson, unless they see him as a SF
You know the boy posts on realgm. The boy definitly posts on realgm.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,146

Post#16 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:49 am

craig01 wrote:If he can add a jumper to his arsenal.

I think he will eventually shoot well, as he's really pretty decent from the line and his mechanics are supportive.

Eventually??...

magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#17 » by magicman123 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 am

wasn't there an article last week about how the magic wanted gortat (if he returned) to start at PF if he develops a consistent jumper in the offseason?
Prolific Scorer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Prolific Scorer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:07 am

Jameer Nelson / Anthony Johnson
Vince Carter / Mikeal Pietrus / JJ Reddick
Rashard Lewis / Mikeal Pietrus / Ryan Anderson
Marcin Gortat / Brandon Bass / Ryan Anderson / Rashard Lewis
Dwight Howard / Marcin Gortat

Not bad..
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#19 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 am

The twin towers can DEFINITELY work.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,301

Post#20 » by eyriq » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 am

Gortat can definitely make the transition, at this point it is a matter of acquiring the IQ of a PF and not so much acquiring the skill set of a PF; he already has that. This is like last year with JJ, it just finally clicked for him and he started performing much better on defense. Before he'd look lost, get killed on plays, and when Gortat played the 4 you saw some of the same things. If he does see time there than you can bet your house Lewis is playing the 3 full time. Awesome depth!

Return to Orlando Magic