ImageImageImageImage

Gortat wants to start at the 4, can it work ?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Re: Gortat wants to start at the 4, can it work ? 

Post#21 » by MrOrlando » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:49 am

Hmm Gortat the 4, very intriguing indeed. I would be about this, as discussed already if Gortat has the consistent mid-range shot we would be money, but even if it's not all that great, we will have a defensive force at the 4 for period of time. Don't think it's a good idea? Think about this ..

Dwight often lost out on rebounds because he was doing his job and going for the blocked shot, a player could pass out to a player cutting inside or pump fake Dwight to go up and then run around for an easy basket. If the basket is missed the other team has a good chance for a follow up shot because our only source of good rebounding is coming down from the pump fake or quick pass.

Enter Gortat, Dwight goes up for that block shot, but can feel safe about the decision as he does have Gortat around to help pick up on the assignment, control the paint and snag down any potential rebound that may come his way, and also make a play for the ball as well. This would be huge, and I would imagine it could open up a couple opportunities for a fast break or the chance to take the lead, defend or extend it.

This also applies when a player tries to draw Dwight out of the paint and plays him along the free throw line, wing, and basically outside the paint.

I like the idea, we should already have instant offense with Nelson, Carter and Shard getting touches, and we know Dwight is going to get his points as well, he can't hit the J, but he'll still drop 20 any other way. Our offense won't suffer THAT much.
PimpORL
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#22 » by PimpORL » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 am

No.
freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#23 » by freespirit9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 am

It would change our game plan up big time on offense tho. Lewis created alot of mismatches and spreaded out the floor with his shooting. He would pull away opposing PF's from the paint, and give dwight alot more room to work. With gortat in there, everything gets that much more congested, and there is only 3 passes u can make outside the arc, as opposed to the 4 passes which always left us with an open man.

So its a give and take. It would majorly change our formula for success. Like someone mentioned earlier, going small ball with lewis at the 4, helped us make a nice run in the post season, but when it came time to face lakers, their bigs went to town on us. Our lack of size really showed up in that series, and paul, odom, bynum had their way in the paint.

Defensively we would be less likely to get whipped on the offensive boards that's for sure. And they could easily build a twin tower like chemistry that would shut down the paint against all these superstar guards and forwards,
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,040

Post#24 » by dsg2021 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:07 am

As Dwight improves we'll have less need for a real PF. I want to keep 4 out, 1 in. Only a quick and very good shooting might crack my PF spot, take Battie's same spaces which didnt kill the offense like it did with Gortat and Dwight. That person could very well be Bass, but even if he didnt crack starter spot, he's going to be a great rotation player.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#25 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:28 am

Dwight needs to improve in reading/passing out of double teams, and get some post moves. A double team is a great thing for us, someone is open.

Dwight is great, young, and learning, but it would help us so much on d and the boards if we can stop hiding his faults on offense. If so, we are extremely versatile and SVG will have a lot of fun showing his brillance.

So I put somr responsibilty on dwight to make this work too
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#26 » by kookie_819 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 am

It's an intriguing idea, but I don't think it can actually happen unless Gortat suddenly hits 18 footers with consistency that beats out that of Bass.

It also seems too reminiscent of the Darko/Dwight combination that failed... but maybe that's just me.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,509

Post#27 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:50 am

It could work. It would have to be kind of like when Dwight Howard, Tony Battie, and Darko Milicic manned the 4 and 5 positions, where two out of the three were on the court at all times. Only here, it's just that either Dwight or Gortat must be on the floor at all times, and either Bass or Anderson have to be that other guy. Say:

First quarter, first 6 min
C: Howard
PF: Gortat

First quarter, last 6 min
PF: Anderson

Second quarter, first 6 min
C: Gortat
PF: Bass

Second quarter, last 6 min

Third quarter, first 6 min

Third quarter, last 6 min

Fourth quarter, first 6 min
C: Gortat
PF: Bass

Fourth quarter, last 6 min

----------

Howard: 36 min
Gortat: 30 min
Anderson: 18 min
Bass: 12 min
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#28 » by Last Guardian » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 am

It can work, and I prefer it. Defense wins championships, and I am afraid our run last season has people forgetting this. Having a team go to the finals with Rashard Lewis as the starting PF was a fluke more than anything else. If we faced a healthy Boston team we no doubt we're done in the second round for the second straight year, and nobody here would be clammoring to continue this small ball style.

As for this Bass talk, he is only 6'7 and not known as a lock down defender. His best role for us is to come off the bench and be an offensive spark. Basically, be a more consistent version of Battie.

Most of the PF minutes should go to Gortat. He can shoot, is 7'0 tall and moves his feet rather well. He and Dwight combine to easily be the best interior defense in the league, and far and away the best rebounding combo the league has had in years.

As for minutes, that is an easy solution. SVG often played Dwight the whole 1st and the first couple minutes of the second. Basically you play Gortat for the first 8 minutes or so, then bring in Bass for him. Put Gortat back in when Dwight goes to the bench. And if Dwight gets in foul trouble early, bring in Bass and Gortat just slides to Center.
Kytu
Junior
And1: 36

Post#29 » by Kytu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:09 am

I hope he learns how to box out and pass better than he did last year....I recall McDy getting like 7 Offensive rebounds in a row against him when we played Detroit
The Strong Survive
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#30 » by NEM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:19 am

minute distribution next season:

pg-nelson (31) / johnson (12) / carter (5)
sg-carter (31) / pietrus (13) / redick (4)
sf-lewis (35) / pietrus (13)
pf-bass (23) / anderson (17) / gortat (8)
c-howard (35) / gortat (13)

carter 36 mpg
howard 35 mpg
lewis 35 mpg
nelson 31 mpg
pietrus 26 mpg
bass 23 mpg
gortat 21 mpg
anderson 17 mpg
johnson 12 mpg
redick 4 mpg
=240

of course it wont be like this every game. it will fluctuate depending on the match up, and rashard will play the 4 more than listed there (0mpg) but definitely less than last year. mp will get his 25 mpg by bvacking up both positions and in case of injury to him is where jj would be useful and a guy like powell or anderson would get minutes. remember, lee went into last year getting no minutes. this is why i dont think it would be a good idea for barnes to come here because there is only so many minutes at the wings and they're being used up already. this is why IMO it would make more sense to get bogans. barnes needs to play. kebo is for emergency
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#31 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 am

I would like to see this rotation Nelson play more minutes this season, I was surprised he averaged less than 30 for his career. I also don't want to play Carter/Lewis more than 35 a game until the playoffs. I'd consider giving Pietrus/Bass/Gortat 25 a piece. That'd leave us with 35 minutes to divide between AJ/JJ/Ryan/whoever else. AJ will get about 12, JJ 10, Ryan 13.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#32 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 pm

I think the lineup of Dwight and Gortat playing together can work but not full time. It can work for stretches during the game but not for a full game. That is unless Gortat really improves that jumper. I think Gortat has the quickness on defense. He did a good job against Gasol and others thru out the season. He would have a problem though against the really swift PF's, thats why it would not work all the time.
aka: prorl
orlandomike
Starter
And1: 53

Post#33 » by orlandomike » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 pm

IMO, which should usually just be assumed as fact, if Howard would develop the outside shot, he would be the best power forward in the game period and keep the less athletic Gortat at center. You have 2 great rebounders and inside guys with Lewis at SF where he should be, Carter at shooting guard. Nelson at the point. That would be a great starting 5. But really, preferably , Howard needs to develop an outside game. Beauty of that is if one gets in foul trouble its easy to bring in Anderson and or Bass at PF and move the Dwight in.
My 2 cents is worth 5 cents.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#34 » by SaintofKillers » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I feel bad for Bass. He was brought in as the sure-fire starter at PF now he has to duke it out with Gortat and Anderson and worse, be used as a center again.

Just plug him in at the 4 and be patient with him. What's important is he gets a guaranteed 30-35 minutes a game and once he gets acclimated to that role it would pay dividends -- count on it.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#35 » by Joel Embust » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Nelson, Carter and Lewis are perimeter players. They can knock down shots from anywhere on the floor. Lewis can also post up on SF's and score inside. Dwight is a beast inside. There's no need for a 20 point scorer at the four. Just someone who can knock down open shots, play defense, rebound the ball, block shots, play the pick and roll effectively and finish easy buckets. Well, those are Marcin's strenghts.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#36 » by damo[23] » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:55 pm

I think we can throw him into the mix at times, but really he is the back up center since I dont see Bass or Anderson being able to fill that roll. But at times I see going with Dwight / Gortat, if the pairing works well it could flourish into some starting jobs.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#37 » by Alex_De_Large » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Or Howard at the 4, whatever, Magic have a terrific rotation now.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#38 » by Last Guardian » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:54 pm

Right now it looks like Gortat has to start. Our defense has taken too much of a hit for him not to (Alston > Nelson, Lee > Carter, Lewis = Turk). The offensive concerns are silly. Nelson, Carter, Pietrus, Lewis, Howard, Redick, Anderson, Bass......we are not going to struggle to score or shoot, ever.
Official
Veteran
And1: 321

Post#39 » by Official » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Gortat won't start unless he can hit a mid-range jumper with consistency. Do you see him matching this?

I have my doubts. Bass is only behind Dirk, Gasol, and Mcydess at 2pt jump shots for powerforwards. You can't have a Center who doesn't know what a jump shot is and a PF who probably hit a grand total of 10 last season. Unless Gortat or Howard comes into training camp with a jump shot matching Bass', Gorat won't start with Howard and at best see limited minutes playing along side Howard. At this point Anderson is ahead of Gortat in the powerforward rotation.
Raider_MXD
Senior
And1: 75

Post#40 » by Raider_MXD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:21 pm

I doubt that Gortat will start, but 12mpg at C and 12mpg at PF along Dwight are not out of question in my opinion, especially considering the shooting prowess of our remaining lineup. Bass will probably start at PF, but as I also see him averaging around 24mpg, so there's some playing time left at PF that can be split between Anderson and Lewis.

Return to Orlando Magic