ImageImageImageImage

Marquis Daniels "It'd mean a lot to come home"

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Re: Marquis Daniels "It'd mean a lot to come home" 

Post#41 » by Horcy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Kytu wrote:But does Barnes kill 2 birds with 1 stone...with Daniels we also solve our backup point problem.

Very good point. I think I would prefer Barnes, but it's true, Daniels could be our backup PG (a big one). Maybe he could be more useful at this moment.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#42 » by ADRajX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Horcy wrote:
Kytu wrote:But does Barnes kill 2 birds with 1 stone...with Daniels we also solve our backup point problem.

Very good point. I think I would prefer Barnes, but it's true, Daniels could be our backup PG. Maybe he could be more useful at this moment.

I honestly think we would be in a good spot, regardless whoever we pick up

With Barnes we'll have someone who can defend the Wing, knock down open 3s, move the ball around (and drop it in to Dwight, b/c he has size to do so), and athletic enough to guard other shooting guards (especially in transition) and play a bit of SG if needed to

With Daniels, you have a guy who can handle the Point if needed to, have size to guard and play most SGs and SFs, and the ability to drive to the basket and score in many ways.

We should all be thrilled if we even get to sign either one of these two.
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Kytu
Junior
And1: 36

Post#43 » by Kytu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 pm

But does Barnes kill 2 birds with 1 stone...with Daniels we also solve our backup point problem.[/quote][/quote]

Oh ok, so you want Daniels to play some point as well. I thought you guys wanted just a backup at the Wing.

Again, I like Daniels too, and would love to have him or Barnes here, but we could find a good 3rd string PG through Summer League/Training Camp. We did have ... I think Mike Wilks (before he got injured) last season.

Can't Vince Carter carry some ball-handling duties, like Hedo did? Play Point-Forward or something of that sort? If I was choosing which player could fit the system at SF (and play a bit of SG), I would pick Barnes, but again, if it comes to playing some point, then the obvious pick would be Daniels.

IDK, both can ball, that's for sure; I'd be happy with either one to tell you the truth.

I think Barnes is a better fit for our style of play also....But I can't drift away from the thought of seeing a back court rotation of Daniels & Carter
The Strong Survive
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#44 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 pm

this guy is horrible, but he has 1 positive for your team. He playes like reggie miller when playing the celtics. His fg% and ppg double against us. look it up.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ADRajX
RealGM

Post#45 » by ADRajX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Kytu wrote:I think Barnes is a better fit for our style of play also....But I can't drift away from the thought of seeing a back court rotation of Daniels & Carter

Yeah that'd be tremendous... let's just look at a possibly 2nd quarter, off the bench unit/rotation

Daniels
Carter (in to help 2nd unit early on with offense)
Pietrus.. then Rashard (let's just say he came into the game late 2nd like he usually does)
Bass
Gortat... then Dwight (comes in as well late 2nd)

That would be one helluva defensive unit and rotation

But imagine Barnes as well... and his flexibility

Nelson
Carter/Pietrus
Pietrus/Barnes
Barnes/Bass ... then Rashard
Gortat... then Dwight

This gives us just as much athleticism to guard the 2, 3 and 4; and Carter can handle some ball duties as well, to give Nelson freedom to move off of screens and work his defender... and if Nelson gets beat off the dribble on D, we have guys that are quick enough to step in and help

So the versatility is there for both players... if only we could get both o_o ... now try to imagine that (yes it's impossible, but it's fun to think about)

I still give a slight edge to Barnes, as I believe we can find a PG in SL/Training Camp, and Carter can play the role of Hedo (point forward) just a bit.
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#46 » by NEM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 pm

quise for the back up PG!!!!!!!
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,297

Post#47 » by eyriq » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
Daniels did play PG last year,

http://www.82games.com/0708/07IND5C.HTM

Not bad.

Plus he's a very good defender. He can guard and play 3 positions.

:D Ok, I missed that when I looked through the back logs over at 82 games. It looks like it is safe to say that he can play the point, though running an offense is another matter but not really material to this debate. So chalk that up in favor of Daniels, at least in terms of versatility if not effectiveness.

I will say though that in regards to the idea that Daniels would be "killing two birds with one stone" this does not prove it to be true. The "two birds" in this case are finding a back up PG and another Wing. While Daniels may be able to play the point he is not a PG nor is he 2cd PG material. So this does not solve that problem.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#48 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Okay he can be on the team under one condition. He shaves that ridiculous Jehri Curl. Can someone get that man some Flo Jo. He needs to shave his head.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#49 » by Skin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 pm

MiracleBZop wrote:
Skin wrote:
DJRajX wrote:I mentioned a while ago that the Magic should try to get Daniels to add depth at the Guard spots, I don't know if we can now.

Wow, I must say... I'm really impressed. I've seen your posts. You really know what you're talking about. I just wish Otis would share your thoughts. You deserve a lot of credit for mentioning this a while ago.

Excuse me, who are you? I don't post as much as I should, but I roam this board frequently and djrajx is one of the several good posters on here that AT LEAST contributes. Get off your high horse pal.

Wow. Can a man pay a guy a compliment? I thought that's what he was searching for.

I don't post as much as I should either, but I have noticed that djrjax brings up a lot of ideas that nobody is onto as fast as he is. I think it's nice to give a guy a little credit when earned. I know post counts determine the e-respect level on forums, but if anyone's on a high horse, it might be you and your 9 posts.

Anyways, Daniels would be a nice addition to the team especially if he comes with the kind of money we have left to spend. Daniels, Barnes or even Wafer would be a welcomed addition to this team. We need to get more scrappy off the bench. Redick disappoints me too often.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#50 » by dsg2021 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Daniels would not be able to shoot from 3 with Magic. Hes that bad.. but everything else I like. Another good option. But I cant help but feel Magic are shopping above thier offer right now and Barnes, Daniels are the hopefuls. Sure they'd both be good, and they'd both would be relatively paid OK for their levels of play at the 1.8mil-2mil + yrs, but other teams can offer more. Both love Orlando and the team, let's see if it's enough. I think maybe Magic can grab 1 of them 2, lets hope so. I'd also hope that the Magic TPE and lil something extra for former teams to S/T, b/c both would be worth it.
Kytu
Junior
And1: 36

Post#51 » by Kytu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 pm

BigCityCat wrote:Okay he can be on the team under one condition. He shaves that ridiculous Jehri Curl. Can someone get that man some Flo Jo. He needs to shave his head.

There's a RACIST in every crowd
The Strong Survive
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#52 » by J-Ville Smoke » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Kytu wrote:
BigCityCat wrote:Okay he can be on the team under one condition. He shaves that ridiculous Jehri Curl. Can someone get that man some Flo Jo. He needs to shave his head.

I hope that's sarcasm.... :roll:
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#53 » by NickAnderson » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:08 pm

magicman123 wrote:maybe vince will be nice and pick up his tab this weekend at roxy's

:lol: :lol:
ADRajX
RealGM

Post#54 » by ADRajX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Skin wrote:
MiracleBZop wrote:
Skin wrote:[
Wow, I must say... I'm really impressed. I've seen your posts. You really know what you're talking about. I just wish Otis would share your thoughts. You deserve a lot of credit for mentioning this a while ago.

Excuse me, who are you? I don't post as much as I should, but I roam this board frequently and djrajx is one of the several good posters on here that AT LEAST contributes. Get off your high horse pal.

Wow. Can a man pay a guy a compliment? I thought that's what he was searching for.

I don't post as much as I should either, but I have noticed that djrjax brings up a lot of ideas that nobody is onto as fast as he is. I think it's nice to give a guy a little credit when earned. I know post counts determine the e-respect level on forums, but if anyone's on a high horse, it might be you and your 9 posts.

Anyways, Daniels would be a nice addition to the team especially if he comes with the kind of money we have left to spend. Daniels, Barnes or even Wafer would be a welcomed addition to this team. We need to get more scrappy off the bench. Redick disappoints me too often.

No no, that was my fault, I thought you were being sarcastic with your response... so if that's the case, then I misunderstood you... I'm sorry, it's just that on the General NBA board, I see a lot of posts like that, and they tend to be extremely sarcastic in tone

Again, my bad, it's hard to tell these things online... emoticons don't help as much either

Thank you for the compliment, and miraclebzop probably thought the same as I did

And to be honest, Otis is a great GM... my opinions are just that... opinions, I have good ideas and some dumb ideas... Otis has been hitting homeruns the past two years, so I'm glad he doesn't think like I do lol ... I remember after Jameer went down, I started proposing that we sign Steve Francis... ... not one of my better moments on the board (but then again, it was during a horrible Magic loss, so my head wasn't in the right place)

And yes, I agree Daniels gives us more versatility at point and 2, 3... but Barnes' length and athleticism, as well as his 3pt shooting, gives him a distinct advantage over opponents as well.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Oh Geez change that guys name to Mr. Sensitive.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:24 pm

J-Ville Smoke wrote:
Kytu wrote:

I hope that's sarcasm.... :roll:

I know right. Don't worry about it though. I'm not bothered. It's better just to leave it alone, but thanks.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#57 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:43 pm

Never trust a man from Edgewater.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Back on topic. I actually like Daniels. He wouldn't be a bad pick up. I prefer Barnes though.
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#59 » by Diehardmagicfan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm

If we can't get barnes then I would be all for the magic trying to get daniels. Would be a good defender coming off the bench would be a good pick up.
Chris_ORL
Starter
And1: 0

Post#60 » by Chris_ORL » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:25 pm

I like the idea of Barnes to help offset the loss of Turk at SF (not that his game is similar at all, but just the flexibility of a larger SF that plays quality minutes), but I think Marquis fits in better with offsetting the loss of Lee, because everyone knows Air France gets grounded pretty often. We need a defending slasher (even if he can't hit the three) more than a large shooter than plays so-so defense, but rebounds. We have plenty of shooters. I mean, everyone but Dwight and Gortat are quality shooters - look at the roster now. Even Bass is money from mid-range.

We really beefed up the frontcourt. Now we need to make sure we can get one of these guys because either move is a winner. I just know that defense is what made us last year, not just shooting - and I feel like our defense is going to be more questionable than last year without Rafer and Lee. I like this team, but I want solid D.

Return to Orlando Magic