ImageImageImageImage

Third Quarter Collapse: Lewis is our Power Forward

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: Third Quarter Collapse: Lewis is our Power Forward 

Post#21 » by craig01 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I really dont think it matters since the team is made up of versitile players and svg can switch it up during games based on match ups.

Exactly.

The magic will have many interchangeable parts......so many will not be locked in at a particular position.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,187

Post#22 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:55 pm

I wouldnt get too concerned about who is starting where and what not. We got alot of interchangable pieces and Stan may use them according to matchups.
aka: prorl
goflyakite
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#23 » by goflyakite » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:56 pm

prorl wrote:I wouldnt get too concerned about who is starting where and what not. We got alot of interchangable pieces and Stan may use them according to matchups.

I think you start with conventional PF and finish with Rashard at PF.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#24 » by NEM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:35 pm

like someone said above, we have so many interchangeable parts that it doesnt even matter. the whole position thing is just a label for stats and things of that nature. outside of dwight, we dont reall have positions on offense. on defense is where positions have some meaning
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,300

Post#25 » by eyriq » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:06 pm

It is not realistic to think that Stan won't play his starters at least half the minutes available at the position they are starting at. If Lewis starts at the 4 you can bank on him logging at least 24mgp there. Stan is always in the upper echelon of coaches in finding a lineup and sticking with it. Versatility is a matchup advantage allowing for midgame tweaks, not whole sale changes from game to game. Running a team like that is a sure sign of mediocrity. If you don’t believe me just look at a list of the top played lineups and you will see something pretty consistent: the better the team, the more stable the rotation.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#26 » by Potterman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Outside of Dwight starting at C and Nelson starting at PG. I see nothing written on paper or quoted by Otis or Stan in saying we will 100% start Lewis at PF. Even if a quote can be found at this point its only the correct answer to give. I say wait until preseason for Stan to solidify the roster. He has allot of new toys to play with and allot of new theory's and strategy's to employ this year then last.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#27 » by Bensational » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:53 am

eyriq wrote:Yeah, starting Lewis at the 4 again really doesn't make sense. This would be following the same philosophy as we followed last year, and last year our backup bigs logged the following:

Battie: 15.6 mpg
Gortat: 12.6 mpg

All the while our backup wings logged: (I'm counting only the back ups, not Alston or Nelson, who did not timeshare with Johnson like Lee did with either JJ or Pietrus)

Lee: 25.2
Pietrus: 24.6

That is why I've been assuming that instead of a revolving door at the 2 or 3 we'd see it at the 4 this year. We are deepest there this time around with really good players in Bass, Anderson, and Gortat. Relying on Redick and Pietrus to play the same role as Lee and Pietrus did last year is not maximizing the roster imo.

i think starting Lewis at the 4 makes sense, since that's what got us to the finals last season. there was only one matchup we didn't win, and that was the finals. why mess with a winning formula?

but, i agree that we need to make more use of our front court, and i'd imagine that with the Magic having eyes on the prize, they'd consider conserving guys a lot more this season. the only reason this team can't use all of our players in an even rotation is because SVG just plain out has terrible rotations and sub patterns.
PLUGITUP
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#28 » by PLUGITUP » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:47 am

Bensational wrote:
eyriq wrote:Yeah, starting Lewis at the 4 again really doesn't make sense. This would be following the same philosophy as we followed last year, and last year our backup bigs logged the following:

All the while our backup wings logged: (I'm counting only the back ups, not Alston or Nelson, who did not timeshare with Johnson like Lee did with either JJ or Pietrus)

That is why I've been assuming that instead of a revolving door at the 2 or 3 we'd see it at the 4 this year. We are deepest there this time around with really good players in Bass, Anderson, and Gortat. Relying on Redick and Pietrus to play the same role as Lee and Pietrus did last year is not maximizing the roster imo.

i think starting Lewis at the 4 makes sense, since that's what got us to the finals last season. there was only one matchup we didn't win, and that was the finals. why mess with a winning formula?

but, i agree that we need to make more use of our front court, and i'd imagine that with the Magic having eyes on the prize, they'd consider conserving guys a lot more this season. the only reason this team can't use all of our players in an even rotation is because SVG just plain out has terrible rotations and sub patterns.[/quote

But Magic didn't win the best record overall with the line up they put out with Lewis at 4. Obviously it works at times and they will play small ball when required.

They need to chase the best record overall to get homecourt advantage and this is where their depth will come into play. You can't concentrate on the Finals yet, we need to make it there again first and the best possible way to do that is to win the overall #1 record.

They have reloaded their team with the right pieces to make a run at the ring now and in the next few years. They need to concentrate on making sure everyone stays healthy and that they get their chemistry right. I still believe that whoever wins #1 overall out of Magic, Boston, Sours, Lakers and Cavs will have the best chance of winning the ring.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#29 » by Bensational » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:42 am

PLUGITUP wrote:
Bensational wrote:

But Magic didn't win the best record overall with the line up they put out with Lewis at 4. Obviously it works at times and they will play small ball when required.

They need to chase the best record overall to get homecourt advantage and this is where their depth will come into play. You can't concentrate on the Finals yet, we need to make it there again first and the best possible way to do that is to win the overall #1 record.

They have reloaded their team with the right pieces to make a run at the ring now and in the next few years. They need to concentrate on making sure everyone stays healthy and that they get their chemistry right. I still believe that whoever wins #1 overall out of Magic, Boston, Sours, Lakers and Cavs will have the best chance of winning the ring.

i don't think anyone would dispute that. getting HCA definitely gives any team the better chance at winning a ring.

i agree with you though, they've got such versatile players they need to use them to their advantage in every matchup.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#30 » by Hilltop » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:08 am

Potterman wrote:Outside of Dwight starting at C and Nelson starting at PG. I see nothing written on paper or quoted by Otis or Stan in saying we will 100% start Lewis at PF. Even if a quote can be found at this point its only the correct answer to give. I say wait until preseason for Stan to solidify the roster. He has allot of new toys to play with and allot of new theory's and strategy's to employ this year then last.

I agree. I've heard a lot of things about our potential starting lineup, and there isn't any thing definitive at this point. It's all up in the air until the Pre-Season begins. There is no way Stan has already decided on this matter. Until then, these are all 'considerations', nothing more.

Return to Orlando Magic