Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1961 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Jailblazers7 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Will George really have the 76ers as leverage? Somehow I can't see Morey breaking the bank to sign him, despite the rumors.

I think Morey’s reputation as a star hunter makes us a credible threat to sign George to a max or near max contract. No clue if we will actually do it or if George would really be ok with moving to Philly tho.

Even if we don't really want PG (and we shouldn't at the MAX), it's in our best interest to bid up the price so Clips are forced to pay him the MAX. Which may also force them to MAX Harden.

That is a great way to torpedo their future, which we want since we have their future picks.

After watching the game last night. The 76ers need to do everything possible to keep this Clippers team together for the long haul. At full strength they had a hard time beating the undermanned 76ers. Imagine how "good" they are going to be as they get older. No cap space no picks and a new arena. It's gonna be must see TV every season.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,840

Post#1962 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Which has a better floor spacing between these two line-ups?

Maxey-Hield-Derozan-Oubre-Embiid

or

Maxey-Hield-George-Oubre-Embiid

The second one has better shooting.

The first one gets better looks from three. They also score when the opposing team tightens up its perimeter defense in the second round of the playoffs.

Because of the spacing problem of the first one, it’s easier to send help and rotate. Opponent’s could also play the numbers game and do just a soft close out on Oubre and Derozan to force them to shoot 3s.

The counter for the first unit then would be to have someone like George Niang or Duncan Robinson at the PF position, but you’d end up with too much baggage on defense with Maxey, Hield, stretch 4, and Demar.

Yea, however there isn't one way to create a team. I'm not saying a Paul George team wouldn't be good. It obviously would be. But Paul George has a career avg of 35% from 3 which has been dragged down by his most recent playoff series (33% on volume since 2019). He's not really a distributor (>20 AST% in playoffs for his career). So are we getting a guy who spends the whole year jacking up threes to be our ISO scorer when we're cold from deep? He's currently near career highs in assisted buckets. I don't think he's that guy anymore.

I think DeRozan can be the defacto PG for this team and be completely content with scoring 16ppg while being that 6+ apg guy and be the end of game scorer when we need a bucket. I'm also not committed to a Hield/Oubre starting lineup to fill out the rest of the team. Those guys are scorers off the bench.

If we had a legitimate PG who creates for himself and others, then sure, George makes more sense (even though he'll be way too expensive). Since Maxey is a SG/CG at 6'3, we have to figure out how to create a functioning offense in the playoffs, not just the regular season.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1963 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1964 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Fitting it has Penn Medicine sponsorship on it. I guess that means he's back.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#1965 » by davesilver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

A hidden merit of signing PG would be increasing the value of our FRP's of theirs.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#1966 » by Phila Tough » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

the_process wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:I hope Harden doesn't get Booed tonight. Bro actually possibly gave our front office/Embiid onc more crack at building a better roster with the cap space we'll have. Maxey is better because of him, and the two years while he was here gave us some good moments. Game 1 vs Boston one of the best playoff performances in a while from a Sixers guard

Agreed, let's not boo Harden. His beef was very clearly with Morey only.

Welp...lol
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#1967 » by Wilfried » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

davesilver wrote:A hidden merit of signing PG would be increasing the value of our FRP's of theirs.

Wouldn't it be better if George resigns with Clippers for a max contract in that case?

Clippers are a preferred destination for FA's, if you give them cap space, they will attract new All-stars
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,233

Post#1968 » by eyeatoma » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=LK6M6mQYbXsqpikcqANbHw&s=19

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1969 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

Overzealous buffoon Steve Ballmer on signing Paul George: no thanks

Sixers: gimme
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,200

Post#1970 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

This Clippers situation is the exact reason they should've just traded George for Harden in the first place. Even with deep pockets, it's extremely difficult to keep 3 veteran max contracts. Harden/Harris for George/Powell/filler was the deal that should've been made.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,701

Post#1971 » by stormi » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

Could not have been more disconnected from this team since Embiid has gone down. Shocked truthfully that he's doctored up in time to be getting court work in a few weeks before the playoffs start. I would actually love for this fraudulent team to get in as seed #7 or #8. Play Milwaukee or Boston early and either exorcise the demons or get into offseason mode.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#1972 » by Skates » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

Do not want Paul George or any more mid thirties guys. This team keeps looking at older guys because of Embiid's prime years going by, did the same with Iverson, and which guy has actually turned out to be a true running mate for Embiid, the young guy in Maxey. George is as bad or worse than Embiid in availability to play, especially in non-contract years. Stop trying to repeat the Iverson later year debacles and use the picks we will have as of draft day to find a younger, cheaper third option for Jo and Tyrese, then with the remaining cap space, sign or re-sign (not you Tobias) veteran role players and fill out the rest of the roster with Ricky Council types.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Post#1973 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
The second one has better shooting.

The first one gets better looks from three. They also score when the opposing team tightens up its perimeter defense in the second round of the playoffs.

Because of the spacing problem of the first one, it’s easier to send help and rotate. Opponent’s could also play the numbers game and do just a soft close out on Oubre and Derozan to force them to shoot 3s.

The counter for the first unit then would be to have someone like George Niang or Duncan Robinson at the PF position, but you’d end up with too much baggage on defense with Maxey, Hield, stretch 4, and Demar.

Yea, however there isn't one way to create a team. I'm not saying a Paul George team wouldn't be good. It obviously would be. But Paul George has a career avg of 35% from 3 which has been dragged down by his most recent playoff series (33% on volume since 2019). He's not really a distributor (>20 AST% in playoffs for his career). So are we getting a guy who spends the whole year jacking up threes to be our ISO scorer when we're cold from deep? He's currently near career highs in assisted buckets. I don't think he's that guy anymore.

I think DeRozan can be the defacto PG for this team and be completely content with scoring 16ppg while being that 6+ apg guy and be the end of game scorer when we need a bucket. I'm also not committed to a Hield/Oubre starting lineup to fill out the rest of the team. Those guys are scorers off the bench.

If we had a legitimate PG who creates for himself and others, then sure, George makes more sense (even though he'll be way too expensive). Since Maxey is a SG/CG at 6'3, we have to figure out how to create a functioning offense in the playoffs, not just the regular season.

DeRozan is shooting 29% on 3s for his career, which is way below league average. Once again, it's challenging to win with a shooting guard who struggles with 3-point shooting unless you shift the shooting responsibilities to the power forward position.

Before the arrival of "the system," Paul George was averaging a 24-28% assist rate, while DeRozan, as the focal point on offense, is averaging a 21-22% assist rate.If you're considering assist rate as an indicator of being a de facto point guard, George has the advantage, besides being the better player overall in almost all metrics.

DeRozan is a better isolation player with 1.11 points per possession (ppp), but the gap isn't significant compared to George's 1.05 ppp.

The major advantage DeMar has over Paul George is his ability to score in crunch time, but we have Embiid for that role.

We’ve seen how better it is to have lengthy wings at the 2&3 positions, why dont we keep that?

This is just my opinion, and I'm trying to understand why Morey and the team are so interested in George. I'm not saying this is the unequivocally right move; it could also backfire on us when everything is said and done.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Post#1974 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,701

Post#1975 » by stormi » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

The George vs Derozan debate is an odd one.

Paul George significantly impacts winning more than Derozan does, and he always has. Simply put, Paul George is an elite shooter from 3 on massive volume and has always been one of the top wing big defending forwards, as opposed to Derozan who's a stat hunting ball stopper that plays no defense, can't space the floor and wants to operate in all of the zones that ideally you want Joel Embiid in.

Now, George is 34 years old in about two months. Whether you'd pay him the amount of money and for the term he's likely to command is a completely separate issue.

It's a shame that he isn't 27 years old, because George has been the exact archetype of two way star athletic wing that Embiid has been crying for his entire career tasked with competing against Big Bad Boston.

Read on Twitter
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#1976 » by phillynative » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm

stormi wrote:Could not have been more disconnected from this team since Embiid has gone down. Shocked truthfully that he's doctored up in time to be getting court work in a few weeks before the playoffs start. I would actually love for this fraudulent team to get in as seed #7 or #8. Play Milwaukee or Boston early and either exorcise the demons or get into offseason mode.

This . I'm ready to see how Embiid looks after a few games. If he doesn't look atleast 80% I'm hoping yo check out again.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1977 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm

76ciology wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

The obvious takeaway is I want Tatum and Brown taking step-backs all night if we're playing them.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1978 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 pm

stormi wrote:
Now, George is 34 years old in about two months. Whether you'd pay him the amount of money and for the term he's likely to command is a completely separate issue..

On the contrary, the entire point was the value for each for the price tag they’ll demand. I never said DeRozan was more impactful or better than George. The point was needing an on ball creator who will score baskets in crunch time. We don’t have that. DeRozan provides that for, presumably, cheaper than George. If DeRozan is a highly sought after FA and he’s getting offers in the 35-40+ a year, then I retract my argument.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1979 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 pm

To further suggest this is a moot point:

Read on Twitter
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,605

Post#1980 » by FireMorey » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Ballmer will probably pay when all is said and done. I think Morey is going to lose out on his man and have to pivot. Whether or not he has a backup plan, we'll see.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers