ImageImageImage

2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Iscull
Junior
And1: 104

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#201 » by Iscull » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:13 pm

I like how De Silva on Colorado has been playing. Good combinations of skills and size
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#202 » by Jstock12 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:11 am

76ciology wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Future Sixer

I hope to see Edey and Marjanovic go up against each other. They're basically the same player.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,570

Post#203 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#204 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:58 am

Jstock12 wrote:
76ciology wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Future Sixer

I hope to see Edey and Marjanovic go up against each other. They're basically the same player.

Who do you want for your rap?

Clingan and Knecht are both good players to where you guys are drafting but both may not be good fit to Barnes and Poetl

I dont like the two GLeague guys in Holland and Buzelis, and also Cody williams
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,920

Post#205 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm

No surprise that Calipari is returning. The buyout is enormous for college hoops and he has another great recruiting class coming in that they secured in keeping him, but a big reason might also be that there is no compelling candidate out there in this cycle. I would guess that his leash isn't super long at this point, given the temperature of the fan base.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,843

Post#206 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:06 pm

mjkvol wrote:No surprise that Calipari is returning. The buyout is enormous for college hoops and he has another great recruiting class coming in that they secured in keeping him, but a big reason might also be that there is no compelling candidate out there in this cycle. I would guess that his leash isn't super long at this point, given the temperature of the fan base.

I’ve read that Barnhart is prob retiring after this year and doesn’t want to hire a new coach before another AD comes in.

Unless Reed Sheppard returns, I have no confidence in this team next year. They’d have to snag some extremely high level transfers to supplement the departures.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#207 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:No surprise that Calipari is returning. The buyout is enormous for college hoops and he has another great recruiting class coming in that they secured in keeping him, but a big reason might also be that there is no compelling candidate out there in this cycle. I would guess that his leash isn't super long at this point, given the temperature of the fan base.

I’ve read that Barnhart is prob retiring after this year and doesn’t want to hire a new coach before another AD comes in.

Unless Reed Sheppard returns, I have no confidence in this team next year. They’d have to snag some extremely high level transfers to supplement the departures.

Sheppard is consistently seen as a lottery pick. He doesn't have much to prove by returning, unless he just wants another year of the college experience. Of course, I'd love to see him leave, the kid is a killer.

What do you know about the new recruiting class?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#208 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Sheppard is consistently seen as a lottery pick. He doesn't have much to prove by returning, unless he just wants another year of the college experience. Of course, I'd love to see him leave, the kid is a killer.

Yea, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some pressure on him as a Kentucky boy to come back and actually win something with UK. I completely agree with you though, he should gtfo now.

I'll be honest, I'm usually pretty hit or miss when watching HS kids play. I'd say Somto Cyril looks like a physical beast who plays with aggression. Will probably be great on defense and rebounding, but will also foul a lot and do stupid things.

Was underwhelmed by the little I saw of Jayden Quaintance. Fully prepared to be wrong, but didn't see anything particularly special. Karter Knox, brother of Stay Puft Marshmellow Man Kevin Knox, looks like a good shooter, but not much else.

Billy Richmond looks good, but guards in HS are even harder for me to evaluate. They are usually cooking a bunch of nobodies. Same with Boogie Fland.

I mean, it's all about mentality with the freshman. And they are going to all lay eggs during SEC play since that inevitably happens; more so these days. If I'm Cal, I'm getting some dogs in the transfer portal. At least one guard who can score and defend. The problem is Cal has all these promises to fulfill to his prized recruits. Completely kills the lineups. Hard to keep guys for more than one year.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Yea, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some pressure on him as a Kentucky boy to come back and actually win something with UK. I completely agree with you though, he should gtfo now.

I'll be honest, I'm usually pretty hit or miss when watching HS kids play. I'd say Somto Cyril looks like a physical beast who plays with aggression. Will probably be great on defense and rebounding, but will also foul a lot and do stupid things.

Was underwhelmed by the little I saw of Jayden Quaintance. Fully prepared to be wrong, but didn't see anything particularly special. Karter Knox, brother of Stay Puft Marshmellow Man Kevin Knox, looks like a good shooter, but not much else.

Billy Richmond looks good, but guards in HS are even harder for me to evaluate. They are usually cooking a bunch of nobodies. Same with Boogie Fland.

I mean, it's all about mentality with the freshman. And they are going to all lay eggs during SEC play since that inevitably happens; more so these days. If I'm Cal, I'm getting some dogs in the transfer portal. At least one guard who can score and defend. The problem is Cal has all these promises to fulfill to his prized recruits. Completely kills the lineups. Hard to keep guys for more than one year.

It's really hard to see him changing his philosophy at this point, and especially with regard to promises made to kids and their parents, something he obviously values greatly. The tired cliche "the game has passed him by" kind of applies here, with the apparent return of program building as the best way to go. Hell, Scheyer has made no bones about the fact that he intends to get Duke back to that.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#210 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

Thiero gone, UK cooked next year.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#211 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

The latest BR Mock has us taking Knecht at 15!!!!!!
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#212 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:The latest BR Mock has us taking Knecht at 15!!!!!!

Yeah, then probably including him in a deal for a "star" that's past his expiration date.

I'll believe that we'll keep a stud draft pick at this point when it actually happens.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#213 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I didn’t watch any of his games, but can someone explain Sincere Parker to me? He has insane scoring numbers, solid defensive numbers but only played 22 minutes a game.

I mean, this dude should forget the transfer portal and go to the combine. If he's 6'4/6'5, I'd take him in the first round. His numbers are bonkers:

OBPM: 8
STL%: 2.3
BLK%: 4.2
PPG: 15.9 (52% 2FG, 42% 3FG, 81% FT)

I don't know why he only got 20 minutes per game, but he was Cam Thomas level of microwave scorer (except he played some defense :D )
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#214 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 pm

Dylan Disu, despite his transfers and 5 years in college, remains a solid second round prospect. Looks quite long, very fluid athletic, great on the defensive end and has upside as a stretch 4. Shooting numbers are up. Could be better at the rim, but that likely won't be his deal in the next level.

Read on Twitter
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,108

Post#215 » by Kobblehead » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 pm

I woudl accept the selection....but.

Damn, Knect does nothing when he isn't scoring.

No defense, no passing.

There's not a lot of dimensions to his game.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#216 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

No defense, no passing.

He has improved in both areas as this season went on, but is still a work in progress. I'd love it if he had one more year at UT - he's even said the same thing, but more because he's had such a great time and improved his game.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#217 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

No defense, no passing.

To me, he slots in at the SG/SF position on our team. I love him as a player, I'm also a UT fan, and I would be ecstatic if we selected him. With all that being said, I question his fit on this team regarding "how" Nick Nurse coaches and the type of players Nurse is accustomed to working with if that makes sense. Nurse wants athletic hybrid players who can play position-less basketball (at least that's what I think). Obviously, Knecht doesn't fit that description. I think in the pros, he's similar to Dan Majerle. Majerle was never renowned for being a defensive ace, but he was much better than people gave him credit for. I think DK is in the same boat. Good defender, but doesn't get the credit for it. He does have the ability to get to the rim and draw fouls, he'll be a more than reliable outside shooter who can come off screens and hit open threes. If we're in a position to draft him and we pass him up, I'm going to be upset obviously because of personal reasons. The thing about him is that he's a high character, he won't cause any distractions or cry like some diva. You won't hear about him beating the crap out of his girlfriend or refusing to play because his contract isn't good enough. He's a tireless worker and a basketball nerd the same way Tyrese Maxey is. He probably works equally as hard on his craft as Maxey and that's saying something because hard work has been Maxey's recipe to success so far. Those two as teammates would be amazing. Both giving you all that they had out there on a nightly basis...I'll take that over upside with work ethic/character issues. We'll see...I don't think he'll be a Sixer, unfortunately. I can see us either trading this pick OR drafting a project player that we have to wait on for three years. Aside from Maxey and Embiid, this franchise has continued to disappoint with the draft picks consistently over the last ten years. There's also the chance that Knecht ends up getting drafted higher than 15. I've seen mocks with him going as high as 8th in the lotto.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#218 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:24 am

I'll take Knecht at 15 because he possesses length and mobility, along with a high basketball IQ. He understands when to pass, can read the defense effectively, and has the physical tools to play strong defense if he puts in the effort.

Im way more concerned on a prospect who can’t shoot and score, than a prospect who has questions on his defense and inability to pad his assists and rebound numbers.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by mjkvol » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

76ciology wrote:I'll take Knecht at 15 because he possesses length and mobility, along with a high basketball IQ. He understands when to pass, can read the defense effectively, and has the physical tools to play strong defense if he puts in the effort.

Im way more concerned on a prospect who can’t shoot and score, than a prospect who has questions on his defense and inability to pad his assists and rebound numbers.

What I love about him is his unselfishness as a big time scorer. He's not a great passer yet, yet when he's doubled he has improved markedly as the season has progressed at locating the open man, as well as finding cutters. He's already elite at attacking closeouts and finishing around the rim. The tournament has shown that he is money from the FT line in the clutch.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#220 » by Negrodamus » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:09 pm

Tough scene for Trey Alexander getting completely locked up by Tennessee. That game will certainly hurt his stock.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers