ImageImageImage

Game 3: Sixers (0-2) vs. Knicks (2-0) | Thu Apr 25 7:30 PM (EST) TV: NBCSNP, TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Place your bets

Poll ended at Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 pm

PHI -4.5
44%
NYK +4.5
11%
PHI ML (-180)
33%
NYK (+152)
11%

Total votes: 9

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,532

Re: Game 3: Sixers (0-2) vs. Knicks (2-0) | Thu Apr 25 7:30 PM (EST) TV: NBCSNP, TNT 

Post#461 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Watched the replay a few times. It isn’t great. And embiid was frustrated at the time he made that foul. Seems more like he took his frustration out on Mitchell than that he was trying to protect himself. He would be better served just admitting his emotions got the best of him and apologizing imo. Saying you were doing it for protection looks worse.

phillynative wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Jo is full of chit lol, but I’m beginning to hate this Knicks team so whatever.

:nod:

He was frustrated with the no call at the other end , but I do suspect that after he grabbed Mitchell he didnt want him falling near his legs and I don't blame him. It's just the play all together wasnt worth it. I'm not mad at the fire he displayed. Everyone always talk about how mopey and dejected he looks well we saw none of that tonight and I was pleased. He just has to play smarter so he can be available.

hookshot199 wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Jo is full of chit lol, but I’m beginning to hate this Knicks team so whatever.

It was a dirty play, and had it not been for the horrible officiating at the end of game 2 I would have been okay with a flagrant 2 and ejection. But in light of the Maxxey missed calls in game 2, it was okay not to eject him. I will also say, we don't want him shooting seven threes in any game and on defense we need to get more consistent play from Oubre and Tobias...and any play from Hield. Let's just say game 2 and game 3 are a wash. Now we have to win game 4 the good old fashioned way - play your position and stay out of foul trouble. If we can win two and even the series, we've got a chance. All the while Embiid wll be getting healtier.

It's been 41 years since I saw the 1983 Sixers beat the Knicks in the first round at Madison Square Garden. That team went on to win it all. We have a chance.

76thBearCub wrote:This is one goofy ass organization. Whatcha guna do tho

Who in the hell made that one vote for (NYK +152)??

Oh yeah that was me, but after reading stuff like this, it's no wonder the GB is the way it is when it comes to Joel and the sixers.

Both things can be true, the Mitchell play wasn't ideal, but under the circumstances what does anyone posting on RealGM do different in that situation if you're Joel Embiid?

Man at halftime I would have loved that bet and the value was outstanding.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,881

Re: Game 3: Sixers (0-2) vs. Knicks (2-0) | Thu Apr 25 7:30 PM (EST) TV: NBCSNP, TNT 

Post#462 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 pm

mjkvol wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Also remember the Knicks role players are probably playing unsustainably well. Hart's at 21/11/4 on 63% TS, Hartenstein has a 66% TS, OG and McBride are both at or over 60% TS. Players not named Jalen Brunson are shooting like 45% from 3 as a whole. Not saying they'll cool off and we'll coast, just that again we don't need every single player to be great to win. We just need to get enough from a handful of different guys and also hope their guys don't go ballistic.

This exactly. They are getting inflated results from role players while we are living and dying on Embiid and Maxey being heroic, and yet we should be up 2-1. Oubre finally broke out a little, and Payne contributed - if we can get the same from any 2-3 of Oubre, Payne, Hield, Lowry, or Batum from game to game, it will be the difference. No way guys like Hart and Hartenstein can maintain this kind of pace over a long series.

Even if they can, aside from Embiid no one from our squad was that great last night, Brunson had a big ol game, and we still won decisively.

Really not trying to get cocky or anything, more that if everything evens out we're not in bad shape. The Knicks haven't had a straight up bad game yet, Maxey hasn't had his supernova game yet, and their role players have been playing much better than ours. If we get some solid contributions from some guys most nights, and they don't play out of their minds, I think we win. But those are all ifs.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,660

Post#463 » by adjacent2bench » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:18 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Mitchell Robinson walked out of Wells Fargo Center tonight wearing a boot on his left foot. WWE level acting

Yeah, now watch Silver and his henchmen suspend Embiid from a game after seeing that. Then Robinson suits up like nothing happened - mission accomplished.

Not blaming our loss on that play. But if roles were reversed, would you not want Mitchell Robinson suspended?
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#464 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:18 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Watched the replay a few times. It isn’t great. And embiid was frustrated at the time he made that foul. Seems more like he took his frustration out on Mitchell than that he was trying to protect himself. He would be better served just admitting his emotions got the best of him and apologizing imo. Saying you were doing it for protection looks worse.

phillynative wrote:
:nod:

He was frustrated with the no call at the other end , but I do suspect that after he grabbed Mitchell he didnt want him falling near his legs and I don't blame him. It's just the play all together wasnt worth it. I'm not mad at the fire he displayed. Everyone always talk about how mopey and dejected he looks well we saw none of that tonight and I was pleased. He just has to play smarter so he can be available.

hookshot199 wrote:
It was a dirty play, and had it not been for the horrible officiating at the end of game 2 I would have been okay with a flagrant 2 and ejection. But in light of the Maxxey missed calls in game 2, it was okay not to eject him. I will also say, we don't want him shooting seven threes in any game and on defense we need to get more consistent play from Oubre and Tobias...and any play from Hield. Let's just say game 2 and game 3 are a wash. Now we have to win game 4 the good old fashioned way - play your position and stay out of foul trouble. If we can win two and even the series, we've got a chance. All the while Embiid wll be getting healtier.

It's been 41 years since I saw the 1983 Sixers beat the Knicks in the first round at Madison Square Garden. That team went on to win it all. We have a chance.

76thBearCub wrote:This is one goofy ass organization. Whatcha guna do tho

Who in the hell made that one vote for (NYK +152)??

Oh yeah that was me, but after reading stuff like this, it's no wonder the GB is the way it is when it comes to Joel and the sixers.

Both things can be true, the Mitchell play wasn't ideal, but under the circumstances what does anyone posting on RealGM do different in that situation if you're Joel Embiid?

I never get this posture anyway, the GB turns into a chorus of pearl-clutching church ladies when stuff like this happens. If we were playing a low stakes pick up game and somebody did something like what Embiid did on MR, we'd stop for a second and be like 'damn cool down bro' and move on. Wouldn't spend 5 days straight talking about this dangerous psychopath trying to ruin the game of basketball. He was too aggressive and looked like a clown for a play, there was also like 200 other plays that game.

I know this is driven by whiny Knicks fans and I'm not trying to be a tough guy, just always seems so corny. Who wants sports talk to be weak moral stances that the players themselves don't even care about.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#465 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Mitchell Robinson walked out of Wells Fargo Center tonight wearing a boot on his left foot. WWE level acting
Yeah, now watch Silver and his henchmen suspend Embiid from a game after seeing that. Then Robinson suits up like nothing happened - mission accomplished.
Not blaming our loss on that play. But if roles were reversed, would you not want Mitchell Robinson suspended?

No, absolutely not. I'd understand if he was but it's f'ing stupid to have stuff like that determine a competitive series. The NBA should try some steps so that stuff doesn't keep happening or escalating but that's it for now. It's not like it's a Draymond thing where Embiid or Robinson is constantly crossing lines and gunning to injure players, let em play on.

Like I just wrote above, this type of thing is the lamest thing a sports fan can advocate for. Pretend like we're all made of glass, or that we must assert some morality or the integrity of the game is at stake etc. Weak to ask for gritty intense competition and then turn into a shocked and offended school marm when something like this happens.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,967

Post#466 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:32 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

That's like college fans wanting the other team to get a technical for hanging on the rim. I don't blindly want any advantage; there's levels to the punishment. If he sucker punched someone, then toss him. It was an unnatural foul. Give him the flagrant 1 and move on. It would be pathetic to hope he's suspended.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,605

Post#467 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Yes.

Both for the selfish heck yeah it helps my team and you need some lucky breaks to get there in the NBA, but also more importantly because the NBA better be protecting the players, they are the product.

If the feeling is Embiid wasn't trying to save himself but rather was making a risky play that clearly could injure another player, he should be suspended. As to how you decide that intention (or if it is obvious already and doesn't require a decision), I think we have a couple thousand experts on this forum so I will probably sit that one out.

But yeah, the NBA should review it imo, even if it means the Sixers play game 4 (and 5?) without Embiid.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,620

Post#468 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote:
mjkvol wrote: Yeah, now watch Silver and his henchmen suspend Embiid from a game after seeing that. Then Robinson suits up like nothing happened - mission accomplished.

No, absolutely not. I'd understand if he was but it's f'ing stupid to have stuff like that determine a competitive series. The NBA should try some steps so that stuff doesn't keep happening or escalating but that's it for now. It's not like it's a Draymond thing where Embiid or Robinson is constantly crossing lines and gunning to injure players, let em play on.

Like I just wrote above, this type of thing is the lamest thing a sports fan can advocate for. Pretend like we're all made of glass, or that we must assert some morality or the integrity of the game is at stake etc. Weak to ask for gritty intense competition and then turn into a shocked and offended school marm when something like this happens.

I understand you’re a 76ers fan, but saying it’s not like a Draymond thing where he is constantly crossing the lines and gunning to injure players, is silly.

It’s exactly like Draymond.

There are compilations on YouTube of his dirty plays. It ALWAYS happens when he gets frustrated too, which is frequent enough.

I understand when he’s on your team you view it differently, everyone does, but Embiid has shown the person he is numerous times.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,035

Post#469 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Absolutely not, but then I'm an old school fan who loves this kind of physical play. The Riley Knicks are one of my all time favorite non-Sixers teams, second only to the Bad Boy Pistons.

You know what the problem is? Hypocritical fans who cheer a physical play from their own team but clutch pearls when it's done to them. From some of the reaction, you would think that Embiid reared back and cold cocked Robinson out of the blue. It was a dirty play that was properly called, and I'd say the same if it was done to Embiid. Let me ask you this - would you be happy winning the series like that if Embiid was ejected and then suspended for game 4?

I only gripe when the calls are inconsistent, or blatantly missed, like the Maxey play in game two and not giving Nurse the time out he was clearly screaming for.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,035

Post#470 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote: Not blaming our loss on that play. But if roles were reversed, would you not want Mitchell Robinson suspended?

I understand you’re a 76ers fan, but saying it’s not like a Draymond thing where he is constantly crossing the lines and gunning to injure players, is silly.

There are compilations on YouTube of his dirty plays. It ALWAYS happens when he gets frustrated too, which is frequent enough.

I understand when he’s on your team you view it differently, everyone does, but Embiid has shown the person he is numerous times.

Please save this crap for the GB, where it belongs.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,670

Post#471 » by FireMorey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:08 pm

Watched that flagrant foul play this morning for the first time expecting to see something bad and he barely grazed his leg. My god, what a bunch of drama queens.

Didn't pull, yank, grab, or do anything at all to his legs. Very lightly put an arm around his leg as if trying to brace him from falling on top of him and landing on his surgically repaired knee.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,821

Post#472 » by phillynative » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
phillynative wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Eh, Oubre was great in the 1st and had some sweet plays in the 4th, Cam Payne was ridiculous in the 2nd, Batum and Lowry played really well too.

Knicks role players played better than ours but this wasn't the game to complain about the supporting cast. Tobias, yes, but that's the expectation at this point.

Eh, Tobi and Hield not being able to step up at home is concerning when you factor in the Knicks roles guys still played well in our building. Unless you are expecting cam payne to come in and be the guy he was tonite for the rest of the series...

Sounds like you're moving the posts here and also making a complain-y point. First couple games we got nothing from anyone except Maxey/Embiid, this game lots of guys stepped up and played really well at some points. Big reason we won the game handily, Embiid was great in the 3rd but so were other guys.

In any case, we don't need every guy to play perfectly and have the whole roster firing on all cylinders to beat the Knicks. We're more talented than them so we just need to play well overall and have some of the role players show up. Obviously it sucks that Tobias has become a shell of himself and Hield can't even hit open shots, but if that's what you're taking away from this game then you're probably too deep in nega-nitpicking doom mode. (Also Embiid had a great game but Brunson wasn't far behind, he's not going to go far 40 and 13 dimes every night

Also remember the Knicks role players are probably playing unsustainably well. Hart's at 21/11/4 on 63% TS, Hartenstein has a 66% TS, OG and McBride are both at or over 60% TS. Players not named Jalen Brunson are shooting like 45% from 3 as a whole. Not saying they'll cool off and we'll coast, just that again we don't need every single player to be great to win. We just need to get enough from a handful of different guys and also hope their guys don't go ballistic.

That's your opinion. Nothing you said negates mines. It remains a concern that Tobi has been shut down offensively and Hield cannot knock down any threes. The win was nice but Embiid on one good leg and eye still had to drop 50 and the Knicks hung tough the whole game.

We just need to get enough from a handful of different guys and also hope their guys don't go ballistic.

That is my point the Knicks have the edge there and we have to go back to MSG where everyone was no shows except Embiid, Tyrese and 40y.o Kyle Lowry.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,271

Post#473 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 pm

phillynative wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Eh, Tobi and Hield not being able to step up at home is concerning when you factor in the Knicks roles guys still played well in our building. Unless you are expecting cam payne to come in and be the guy he was tonite for the rest of the series...

Sounds like you're moving the posts here and also making a complain-y point. First couple games we got nothing from anyone except Maxey/Embiid, this game lots of guys stepped up and played really well at some points. Big reason we won the game handily, Embiid was great in the 3rd but so were other guys.

In any case, we don't need every guy to play perfectly and have the whole roster firing on all cylinders to beat the Knicks. We're more talented than them so we just need to play well overall and have some of the role players show up. Obviously it sucks that Tobias has become a shell of himself and Hield can't even hit open shots, but if that's what you're taking away from this game then you're probably too deep in nega-nitpicking doom mode. (Also Embiid had a great game but Brunson wasn't far behind, he's not going to go far 40 and 13 dimes every night

Also remember the Knicks role players are probably playing unsustainably well. Hart's at 21/11/4 on 63% TS, Hartenstein has a 66% TS, OG and McBride are both at or over 60% TS. Players not named Jalen Brunson are shooting like 45% from 3 as a whole. Not saying they'll cool off and we'll coast, just that again we don't need every single player to be great to win. We just need to get enough from a handful of different guys and also hope their guys don't go ballistic.

That's your opinion. Nothing you said negates mines. It remains a concern that Tobi has been shut out offensively and Hield cannot knock down any threes. The win was nice but Embiid on one good leg and eye still had to drop 50 and the Knicks hung tough the whole game.

We just need to get enough from a handful of different guys and also hope their guys don't go ballistic.

That is my point the Knicks have the edge there and we have to go back to MSG where everyone was no shows except Embiid, Tyrese and 40y.o Kyle Lowry.

Payne over Hield solves one of the problems. Payne has proven he doesn't shrink in the clutch, so I expect him to take Buddy's mins.

Tobias OTOH is a major problem since we don't have another option besides a hail mary with Council or Martin.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#474 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote: Not blaming our loss on that play. But if roles were reversed, would you not want Mitchell Robinson suspended?

It's really not cuz I'm a Sixers fan, and it's really not exactly like Draymond. My personality is probably way too geared to seeing both/many sides of things, can be kinda cold in that sense and have always been terrible at being a homer. My relevant bias if anything is that I generally don't like the idea of removing players from games. Sure in the moment I'll root for my team to get any advantage they can but generally I think it's bad for everyone when that stuff starts happening. I don't even like it when good players get into foul trouble, for example-- we want good competition with the best and biggest players, I especially don't want them removed in PO games to mess up the whole narrative and buildup.

I also think that suspending players etc should be done when it makes sense but not generally for in the moment reactions that don't result in much, don't happen very much, and not without some warning. (And it really is like nails on a chalkboard to me when I hear fans moralizing about 'scumbag' athletes who must be punished when they're on the other team, just feels really lame.)

Suspenions do make sense to me in the case of guys like Draymond who have steady patterns of deciding to escalate things, and who the NBA needs to bring into line and can get somewhere with a suspension. The Embiid compilations on YT you're talking about probably cover 10 years and focus on a handful of plays per year, and they generally happen randomly and in the heat of the moment. Draymond was needlessly crossing lines seemingly every game for a while, taunting players and running after them, taking cheap shots, etc. It was both way more of a steady pattern and way weirder/less reactive than anything Embiid's ever done, and it was also about an approach and mentality that Draymond needed to be shaken out of.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#475 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm

thats not even the play Robinson got hurt

he got hurt when Biid or someone fell on him.

It was a stupid reckless play and biid has to be better but thats it
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Mik317
RealGM

Post#476 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Draymond only got suspended because he acted a fool AFTER being warned like a game or two prior lol.

If Biid pulls some dumb **** again, he will probably get tossed
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,967

Post#477 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Is Giannis a dirty player? I just watched a compilation of his dirty plays. Saw a few videos of Jokic doing “dirty” plays. Will you feel better if we agree with you that Joel is a dirty player?
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,201

Post#478 » by M2J » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm

Joel didn't deserve to be ejected or a flagrant 1. I think he tried to commit a foul as he just got fouled to get onto the ground.

I do believe he deserved a technical, but flagrant 1 is similar.

These refs are allowing the Knicks to play overly physical, and frustration will come with that. Because, if Philly actually had a real enforcer, and not that nice guy Paul Reed... Somebody should elbow Josh Hart in his rib cage. He's jumping on people's heads every play, never been called
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#479 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:14 pm

Geez I just clicked on the GB. There are currently four very active threads trashing the Sixers/Embiid for non-basketball things vs one not very active thread talking about the basketball games they play. I'd love the distraction now but gotta sign the f off this thing until there's another game.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#480 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:31 pm

Prior to the recent run, Jokic got thrown out of games for losing his cool. Giannis had a breakdown THIS season for not getting a **** game ball.

These are the best athletes in the world. Testosterone runs high sometimes lol. Doesn't make what Biid does right and again he needs to watch himself going forward and it has been an issue since Kansas IIRC but cut out the pearl clutching a bit.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers