** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1081 » by brannigan73 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:05 am

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Who cares more about basketball: Pal Jorge or DeMar Derozan?

Our feelings can change; we're unsure if Jimmy would continue playing as if he had an expiring contract once he secures a $40 million contract nearing his 40s.

The best approach is to create an environment that makes it easy for players to perform without pushing themselves beyond their limits.

I believe the ideal blueprint for this is the Celtics team, where you don't frequently see Tatum having to carry the team because they can rely on their collective efforts without needing a superhero to rescue them.

Alternatively, you can emulate the Mavericks' model, where players like Kyrie and Doncic can conserve energy on defense, allowing them to devote more energy to carrying the offense throughout the game.

The Celtics cant really be copied they got lucky and were somehow able to acquire two all-star caliber players on the cheap. Porzingis and Holiday are basically all stars. They are also only playing Porzingis and Holiday like 65 million combined which is a joke. Bradley Beal makes 50 million they are both better then him. We arent going to add two players of there quality. If your asking whether we should try to add two quality starters or one star im clearly in the two quality starter camp but they arent going to be as good as the two the Celtics added. I dont want to be a debbie downer but even if we nail the offseason we might not be able to get past the Celtics in the playoffs any time soon.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,847

Post#1082 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 6:28 am

brannigan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Who cares more about basketball: Pal Jorge or DeMar Derozan?

Our feelings can change; we're unsure if Jimmy would continue playing as if he had an expiring contract once he secures a $40 million contract nearing his 40s.

The best approach is to create an environment that makes it easy for players to perform without pushing themselves beyond their limits.

I believe the ideal blueprint for this is the Celtics team, where you don't frequently see Tatum having to carry the team because they can rely on their collective efforts without needing a superhero to rescue them.

Alternatively, you can emulate the Mavericks' model, where players like Kyrie and Doncic can conserve energy on defense, allowing them to devote more energy to carrying the offense throughout the game.

The Celtics cant really be copied they got lucky and were somehow able to acquire two all-star caliber players on the cheap. Porzingis and Holiday are basically all stars. They are also only playing Porzingis and Holiday like 65 million combined which is a joke. Bradley Beal makes 50 million they are both better then him. We arent going to add two players of there quality. If your asking whether we should try to add two quality starters or one star im clearly in the two quality starter camp but they arent going to be as good as the two the Celtics added. I dont want to be a debbie downer but even if we nail the offseason we might not be able to get past the Celtics in the playoffs any time soon.

We need to adjust our approach to be more like a team that falls between the Celtics and Nuggets. Considering that Embiid and Maxey are better than the Celtics' top two players but not as consistent as the Nuggets' top two players, we should rely on our top two players more than the Celtics' top two but not as heavily as the Nuggets' top two.

Regarding Porzingis and Jrue (or even MPJ and Aaron Gordon), I believe these players represent the talent level or are close to the talent level of players we can acquire in this year's offseason.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#1083 » by sixers4real » Mon May 13, 2024 10:09 am

Arsenal wrote:This article from Liberty Ballers shows how the Oubre deal should work. Give him the Room Exception on a 1+1, which is $8m year one. Then he can opt out next summer and we can bump him up to $14m+ the first year on a new long-term deal via Early Bird Rights. That's what the Clips did with Batum and the Bucks did with Portis.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2024/5/4/24148614/nba-free-agency-2024-sixers-offseason-kelly-oubre-jr-nicolas-batum-bobby-portis

I love it.
Oubre is a legit 2-way wing starter on a championship team. For $8M is going to be a steal. And I’d want Sixers to have him long term, he is just 28 y.o.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#1084 » by zaz102 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:08 am

If the go after PG13, this would be my plan.

1. Use the '24 FRP.
2. Cut or trade BBall for a SRP.
3. Sign PG13 to the max (~$50M).
4. Sign GTJ with remaining cap space (~$12M).
5. Sign Oubre with the room exception (~$8M)
6. Fill out the roster with the best vet mins you can (some ideas- Batum, Melton Drummond, Saric, Lonnie Walker, Justin Holiday, etc.)

You would have a very good first unit and hopefully you find a diamond in the rough or two from the bench. Also, you would still have all your assets to improve. The only problem is that it's hard to combine vet minimimums for any contributing player unless you use Oubre or GTJ.

Maxey
GTJ
Oubre
George
Embiid
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 859

Post#1085 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon May 13, 2024 12:27 pm

There is no formula for improvement that will result in a championship unless it includes making Embiid a second fiddle player like he was when Jimmy Butler was on the team.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in terms of winning in the NBA. All of the remaining playoff teams that are championship-caliber are doing it slightly differently from each other, and each one (perhaps with the exception of Indiana) is capable of winning it all.

What none of them have however is a central player who regularly takes the court in a lethargic manner. None of them have that kind of ball and chain on their championship aspirations.

Embiid's regular lethargy simply has to matter less, and the only way you accomplish that is by acquiring a player who ousts him from the central role and makes him second (or even third) fiddle.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,237

Post#1086 » by Kobblehead » Mon May 13, 2024 1:30 pm

DeMar DeRozan reportedly has an offer on the table from Chicago for 2 years, $80m.

That sounds perfect, to me. I would match that offer and try to convince him that he has a better chance to win here with Embiid/Maxey.

By all accounts, DeRozan is a Grade A professional (similar to Tobias Harris behind the scenes). Pal Jorge has a better skillset but he has not been any more effective in the postseason than DeMar has been. Also, DeRozan would be significantly cheaper and he has a way better personality.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#1087 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 pm

Kobblehead wrote:DeMar DeRozan reportedly has an offer on the table from Chicago for 2 years, $80m.

That sounds perfect, to me. I would match that offer and try to convince him that he has a better chance to win here with Embiid/Maxey.

By all accounts, DeRozan is a Grade A professional (similar to Tobias Harris behind the scenes). Pal Jorge has a better skillset but he has not been any more effective in the postseason than DeMar has been. Also, DeRozan would be significantly cheaper and he has a way better personality.

When NBA players who've played with George remark that his addition alongside Embiid would result in "the softest team in the NBA," that's exactly the opposite of what we're looking for.

Softness -- comprised of Simmons, Harden, and Embiid -- is what's killed this team for years since Butler was on it. The second round of the playoffs is precisely where the teams suffering from too much softness are going to exit. Only this year it was the first round because the Sixers played arguably the toughest team in the NBA in that round.

It's not difficult to see what's going on here.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#1088 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 13, 2024 1:43 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:There is no formula for improvement that will result in a championship unless it includes making Embiid a second fiddle player like he was when Jimmy Butler was on the team.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in terms of winning in the NBA. All of the remaining playoff teams that are championship-caliber are doing it slightly differently from each other, and each one (perhaps with the exception of Indiana) is capable of winning it all.

What none of them have however is a central player who regularly takes the court in a lethargic manner. None of them have that kind of ball and chain on their championship aspirations.

Embiid's regular lethargy simply has to matter less, and the only way you accomplish that is by acquiring a player who ousts him from the central role and makes him second (or even third) fiddle.

Embiid wasn't a second fiddle in 2019, though based on usage. I think I understand what you mean though and it's that Butler was more of the leader emotionally and led the charge.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#1089 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon May 13, 2024 1:46 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:There is no formula for improvement that will result in a championship unless it includes making Embiid a second fiddle player like he was when Jimmy Butler was on the team.

Embiid wasn't a second fiddle in 2019, though based on usage. I think I understand what you mean though and it's that Butler was more of the leader emotionally and led the charge.

Exactly, and he was handed the ball in the clutch in the playoffs, which was another critical difference. That's your first fiddle.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#1090 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:DeMar DeRozan reportedly has an offer on the table from Chicago for 2 years, $80m.

When NBA players who've played with George remark that his addition alongside Embiid would result in the "softest team in the NBA," that's exactly the opposite of what we're looking for.

Softness -- comprised of Simmons, Harden, and Embiid -- is what's killed this team for years since Butler was on it. The second round of the playoffs is precisely where the teams suffering from too much softness are going to exit. Only this year it was the first round because the Sixers played arguably the toughest team in the NBA in that round.

Completely agree. "Skillsets" go out the window when you bring in another passive, underperformer like PG13. That deer in the headlights look like we saw with Harden in Game 6.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#1091 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon May 13, 2024 1:55 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

When NBA players who've played with George remark that his addition alongside Embiid would result in the "softest team in the NBA," that's exactly the opposite of what we're looking for.

Completely agree. "Skillsets" go out the window when you bring in another passive, underperformer like PG13. That deer in the headlights look like we saw with Harden in Game 6.

Right, which is exactly the opposite of Jalen Brunson's appearance on a nightly basis. Hence he's the spearhead of the toughest team in the NBA.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#1092 » by SixthStreet » Mon May 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Anyone else feeling fatigue of offseason analysis? One way or another, the cap will be spent before Maxey's extension. There's no contracts to trade or otherwise business to attend to. At this point, I'm checking out and will ponder it after all the dust settles.

The rumors are all posturing by different stakeholders. None of it means a thing or is a trail of breadcrumbs leading to some epiphany.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,847

Post#1093 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 5:23 pm

I may need to revisit it again, but I'm not going to sign Demar to a $40 million per year contract. The only reason I entertain the idea of signing Demar is the possibility of having around $40 million more in cap space to add more high-quality players for Embiid and Maxey to play with.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,839

Post#1094 » by the_process » Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm

76ciology wrote:I may need to revisit it again, but I'm not going to sign Demar to a $40 million per year contract. The only reason I entertain the idea of signing Demar is the possibility of having around $40 million more in cap space to add more high-quality players for Embiid and Maxey to play with.

You're not going to be able to get a discount on DeRozan.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,340

Post#1095 » by Arsenal » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm

76ciology wrote:I may need to revisit it again, but I'm not going to sign Demar to a $40 million per year contract. The only reason I entertain the idea of signing Demar is the possibility of having around $40 million more in cap space to add more high-quality players for Embiid and Maxey to play with.

Exactly. Paying $40m per year to DeMar is ridiculous. Basically a Tobias level overpay to kill off whatever remains of Embiid's prime.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,109

Post#1096 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm

the_process wrote:

Bring back Lowry, fill the team out with good players… I could see it. He’s fighting for his spot in the HOF and he’s not getting there with personal accolades anymore.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,708

Post#1097 » by FireMorey » Mon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm

I'm more concerned with the money than the years for the Sixers. The Sixers have a short championship window anyway, once that ends, it doesn't really matter what's on their cap, it's tank city anyway. In the short term, paying Derozan 40m per season doesn't really help you build a championship team. Even if it's only 2 years.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,839

Post#1098 » by the_process » Mon May 13, 2024 7:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:

Bring back Lowry, fill the team out with good players… I could see it. He’s fighting for his spot in the HOF and he’s not getting there with personal accolades anymore.

I don't think that's going to get him to take a 60M (15M x 4) haircut, though.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,584

Post#1099 » by Black Mage » Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

So Lebron has reaffirmed his desire to play with his son...

Use Pick #16 on Bronny and then either

a) Have Lebron force his way to Philly (would be cathartic after what he did to us in 2018);
b) Extort the Lakers for every draft asset they own;
c) Get Lebron to "leak" teams he'd love to end his career with his son and then extort those teams for the rights to Bronny.

::EDIT:: A serious option is you take Bronny and Lebron has until June 29th to decide to opt in or out. If Lebron is serious he could opt out and we use our cap space in glorious fashion.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#1100 » by PhillyNj » Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 pm

Black Mage wrote:So Lebron has reaffirmed his desire to play with his son...

Use Pick #16 on Bronny and then either

a) Have Lebron force his way to Philly (would be cathartic after what he did to us in 2018);
b) Extort the Lakers for every draft asset they own;
c) Get Lebron to "leak" teams he'd love to end his career with his son and then extort those teams for the rights to Bronny.

Hell no!
Don’t want a 50 mil/year Lebron and Bronny is wasting that pick.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers