ImageImageImage

Stefanski And The Cap

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#21 » by Lapinski » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Carmelo = Pipe Dream. I don't trust Carmelo without Mr Big Shot around to keep him in line.

But, yes ES is blowing smoke at us. We would need a center for 2011-2012 and so you must account for that unless we go with an all 6-8" and under team. Smith/Speights are not NBA starting centers. We would be best suited if we can get Dalembert to take less money in a stable situation with one of the best minds in basketball. If you going to run, he can do it. Right now we need a backup center and have none. Defensively Dalembert is one of the better centers in the league. The layup lines form when he is on the bench.

You would also need to replace/upgrade Kapono or sign him to a lesser contract so you have someone who can spread the floor.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#22 » by Lapinski » Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 pm

SJSF wrote:Keep Thad and unload Iggy for cap help and then sign anyone you want that year. Iggy should had gone to Houston.

Look at Memphis and OKC who have multiple first rounders and can absorb Iguodala's contract without anything coming back but picks and a young big. Serge Ibaka or Hasheem Tabeet anyone? Memphis would then let Gay leave in free agency to stay flexible with the cap space they will have remaining so they can take on 1st round picks teams dump to stay under the luxury tax.

OKC took Kurt Thomas and got 3 1st rounders just to take his salary from Phoenix and then they flipped him an got a high second. They took Eric Maynor, who will be a contributing player for them, who was Utah's first round pick, so they wouldn't go over the luxury tax.

The kind of cap space we will have will be nominal, 8-9 million at most, enough to sign a 5-6 million player and leave a few million open so we can do what Memphis and OKC and that is take these small contracts of 1-3 million dollars and get a pick with them. It really isn't feasible for us to go after a starting player that will make a difference. We could get an Artest at best or another MLE type player.

But, Stefanski doesn't have the cache to make these intelligent forward thinking moves. Do what Pat Williams did with the Sixers during the 70's and early 80's, trade extra pieces to desperate teams and stockpile their picks.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#23 » by tk76 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 pm

dbodner wrote:
...neither of these possibilities are complementary.

They're not complimentary, either.

;)

I'm red with embarrassment. But that is not really a complementary color, is it?
76ersxMVP
Senior
And1: 83

Post#24 » by 76ersxMVP » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 am

Well we can't have everything we need in 1-2 years, we got to take it one step at a time. First things first, is to draft Turner. :D And Iggy is the key to our cap space/signings since Brand isn't going to go anywhere since we want Turner! We will wait and see what happens and see how our current players play with our new coach and Turner. I am hoping Brand/Speights improves. Once next summer arrives, if we can't get Melo, we will go after a young talented Center than so forth. Hoping ES knows what he is doing and planning for our future. :roll:
Mario Hezonja. Sixers4lyfe. The 2015 Draft is critical for our future..
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#25 » by tk76 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:33 am

Yeah, go with Turner and keep the current squad (for the most part.) Then in 2-3 years trade Brand's huge expiring + young player for a star.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#26 » by sec-106 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:01 am

The Sixers are in the unique position of wiping away a dismal season in the matter of weeks.

Between the #2 pick and the hiring of Collins, there is a return of optimism.

Firing ES would put them over the top.

In addition to his Cap Propaganda, his response to why Collins wasn't contacted a year ago was a disgrace.

How would you feel going into the Draft with Collins as HC, DiLeo as GM, and the #2 pick in your pocket?

Me, too.
mlhouse
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#27 » by mlhouse » Wed May 26, 2010 3:11 am

AS posted in the Fantasy Trade thread, here is how you do it.

Trade Iguodala, Dalembert's expiring contract, plus a future first round draft pick (lottery protect 2011-12, top ten protect 2013, and top five protected 2014) to Minnesota. We will throw in Ryan Gomes, Ryan Hollins, and Ramon Sessions. THe Sixers are getting rid of $24.5 million contracts while absorbing $14.5 million. In addition, Gomes' contract is only guaranteed $1 million, so the actual payroll savings is $17.5 million. On top of this your owner will save about $7 million or so in luxury tax payments.

Then, in 2011 you have created salary cap room for a full max value free agent.

It is an obvious move and you cannot make it with very many teams because they do not have the net salary cap room to absorb $14.5 million in 2010-11. THe teams that do have this salary cap room are in position to sign real free agents. My poor Minnesota team really cannot attract any, so a salary dump trade like this is our best move to acquire value for it.
radrmd216
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#28 » by radrmd216 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 am

The Sixers are looking to move Brand's contract not really Iguodala or Dalembert. Almost everybody views Iggy as a player that could get the Sixers a lot more than expiring contracts in a deal. Dalembert is an expiring contract so he is not a negative. He would most likely be moved at the deadline. Not a good trade at all for the Sixers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,556

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 am

We all trust Tony DiLeo's scouting skills. In fact, he's the one responsible in assembling this team to a respectable squad despite our refusal to tank.

Anyway, I hope Tony DiLeo could evaluate how much of a talent drop is Turner to Cousins/Favors. Because if the gap is close, then I think it's worth it to trade the 2nd overall to the 3rd or the 4th overall plust cap relief, since both the holders of the 3rd and 4th overall really needs Evan Turner. And I think they are willing, even for just a little bit, to overpay for him.

As much as I hate to see Evan Turner not playing for our squad, next season. A trade of Love, Gomez, Sessions, and the 4th for EB42, Speights and the 2nd overall could get us some talent next season and a LEGIT max cap room for next offseason.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#30 » by underpressure » Wed May 26, 2010 6:50 am

Except for Gasol who we can sign right away if we stay pat there are no "glue" players who bring us over the hump. Given that shedding salaries comes at a huge cost (see Carney trade), I would refrain from making any trades. I think we should try to nap a replacement for Dalembert next summer and search for a Brand replacement when his contract is up to expire. Then we may have assembled the pieces to be just a step short of contending.

We should not search for the quick fix but rather build steadily on what we have.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,552

Re: 2010 Sixers Board Mock Draft 

Post#31 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 28, 2010 5:23 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sandalf42 wrote:And also where can I get really accurate team info? Like player salaries, who's UFA or RFA, things like that?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Just click per team. The visual format is a lot easier on the eyes than storytellers, but it doesn't drag forward upcoming draft pick salaries (which aren't set and could vary by +/- 20%)

He asked for a "really accurate" list which I believe eliminates hoopshype. :-)

Hey, its technically "really accurate" for salaries, it just doesn't do the cap corrections. So if the +/- .5 on the cap number is needed, go to storytellers I suppose, but I hate the formatting.

And I wouldn't ink in the second draft pick for exactly "3,835,600" like story tellers does.

In fact, I would be very happy to wager that Wall isn't paid: "4,286,900" next season. Interested?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by The Guilty Party » Fri May 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Not interested. I agree with you that I despise Storytellers formatting. It's been the same for years and it drives me wild that they have yet to create an index page for quick browsing. I'm not looking for pretty graphics or anything but it's about time that they entered 1997 and ditched the spreadsheet design.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by The Guilty Party » Fri May 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Actually... I might be interested in the Wall bet. Griffin made $4.9 the first year of his contract last year and while the cap has come down this past year, I do think it's possible that Wall's first year will come in very close to the $4.2MIL. Wagering doesn't really interest me, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that number when it comes in.
HartfordWhalers

Post#34 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 28, 2010 6:02 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Actually... I might be interested in the Wall bet. Griffin made $4.9 the first year of his contract last year and while the cap has come down this past year, I do think it's possible that Wall's first year will come in very close to the $4.2MIL. Wagering doesn't really interest me, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that number when it comes in.

4.2 is just this years base number. Griffin's base number was 4,152,900. Multiple by the 20% latitude you get and viola: $4,983,480.
Wall will similarly get the max so 20% above or 5.04 million the first year.

If your Philly and figuring your cap room, don't use the Storyteller number of 3,835,600, and 4,123,200 next year. He will get the 20% more as well, so we are really talking about:
4,602,720 and then 4,947,840 when we are supposed to have all that cap space...

So subtract 824,640 from what storytellers says we will have in cap space then, which otherwise is near max, right Ed? :roll:
HartfordWhalers

Post#35 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 pm

So yeah, I will happily take 5.04 million will be Wall's salary, and give you every other number. Hey, he could pull an Arenas and offer to take less for the good of the team.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by The Guilty Party » Fri May 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Alright... we're on the same page. I was of the belief that you were trying to say that Wall's number would come in lower.

As for Ed and the max money... ugh. His background is in finance so it blows my mind that he is going around stating that we have room that simply does not exist as of right now.
HartfordWhalers

Post#37 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 28, 2010 6:39 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Alright... we're on the same page. I was of the belief that you were trying to say that Wall's number would come in lower.

As for Ed and the max money... ugh. His background is in finance so it blows my mind that he is going around stating that we have room that simply does not exist as of right now.

I debated the max money will come down and only be something like 12 million with the next CBA (which he can't reference without massive fines), but even in that hypothetical the team salary cap should also come down at the same time, so that angle doesn't explain it either. I guess its a debate about near. And his near isn't near.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by The Guilty Party » Fri May 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Let me ask you this... do you believe Ed knows the correct numbers and is for some reason spreading a bad word to make it seem as though his team will be able to pay a max player or do you believe he is actually clueless as to what the facts really are??

For me... the answer to the above question is gigantic because it means we either have someone with knowledge who is looking to manipulate the public's perception of the franchise or we have a buffoon running this team. I have my suspicions that it is the latter rather than the former.
HartfordWhalers

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri May 28, 2010 8:08 pm

TGP: I think he is trying to sell hope, even false hope, that he is control and the plan is working. I know some teams hire capologists, but ballparking it shouldn't be that complex, and he knows he might have 8-9 million. This is more than the MLE, so near-max is some new category that still means 6 million less than max.
That said, how many times have we talked about overrating our own players. I think management can do this as bad as the fans, after all they are the ones that signed Brand, Drafted Jason Smith, Traded for Kapono, or who ever the player is. To get Meeks who he liked last summer, he gave up a 37th pick, when Meeks went 41 last year and didn't do anything to improve his stock over the season. After a 27 win season, he wanted to add a vet to get us over the hump.
Getting the second pick made it way less important that we fire Ed, because the team is now closer to where he is managing us as if we were. That said, I still wish we were approaching this as a full rebuild. I would love one more young asset that could grow into a top 10-15 at their position with Jrue and ET.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#40 » by Sandalf42 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Let me ask you this... do you believe Ed knows the correct numbers and is for some reason spreading a bad word to make it seem as though his team will be able to pay a max player or do you believe he is actually clueless as to what the facts really are??

For me... the answer to the above question is gigantic because it means we either have someone with knowledge who is looking to manipulate the public's perception of the franchise or we have a buffoon running this team. I have my suspicions that it is the latter rather than the former.

I love this talk about how people think that Stefanski doesn't know the rules. He's an NBA GM. He is being trusted with all the major decisions, and I'm sure he has a bunch of people working under him who's job is to study the salary cap and know where they stand with it. All this talk about him not knowing the salary cap situation and miscalculating is nonsense. Stefanski isn't an idiot, and he's aware of what's going on.

Either he's lying to help sell the Sixers to the fans, or he has some ideas of how to clear cap space so that they could sign a top FA next year. Or, no one's even considered that Stefanski knows something we don't. I mean, he does run the team. All these websites that calculate the salary cap and player salaries I'm sure are accurate, but they're not perfect. Stefanski's records on the other hand are.

So can we please stop this talk about how Stefanski is just so dumb he doesn't even understand the NBA salary cap??? The notion that us as fans know better than an NBA GM is simply ridiculous.

However this is all a moot point now, because now that we have the #2 pick, I highly doubt Stefanski's thinking let Thad and Dalembert walk for nothing so we can sign a player.
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers