ImageImageImage

Should I stay or should I go?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

redemption
Junior
And1: 20

Should I stay or should I go? 

Post#1 » by redemption » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Happy Thanksgiving all. Been a while but have been watching this corpse of a team and wonder if DC is thinking of joining Jason Kapono in leaving for personal reasons. And that person is Ed Stefanski. The main reason is that this team does not have the talent necessary to compete at an NBA level.

Why? 2 simple reasons (OK, maybe three)- First, trying to squeak in the playoffs each year and getting blown out yearly has left us with a core of players who are mid first round picks. Thad, Mo, Jrue are mediocre players, seriously mitigated by lack of size, smarts, or work ethic and willingness to defend or board. Lou is what he is- a streaky offensive player who can score at times, but has neither the size or desire to defend anyone.

Secondly, Stiffanski giving near max deals to two players who have neither the bball IQ, desire to defer and make players around him better (Iggy), or aging, declining player coming off a devastating injury (EB).

Thirdly, hiring a carousel of coaches who have not been able to make these players any better or institute a system to play to their limited strengths. Hopefully DC rectifies this error but I am worried that the constant losing, and how they are losing, will drive him to a premature end. Even an eternal optimist like Doug will soon be singing 'Nobody knows the trouble I seen...'

Time to blow it up, boys. So the big question is: Who do you keep, who do you get rid of at all costs? Others have chimed in on other threads, but I thought it would be good for everyone to chime in on the same thread.

Stay-
Jrue
Turner
Thad
Speights
Noc (in fact, maybe try that lineup to see if they can defend and board)
Meeks
Brackens- 7 shots in 8 minutes? My kind of guy...

Go- (IN ORDER)
Iggy- most tradeable asset, most killing the team in terms of robbing developing time for above players.
Lou - awful, awful, awful. Puts us occasional numbers, but has no bball iq and cannot defend anyone.
Brand- Pray for a 4 to get injured on a contending team with a few expirings.
Hawes- I guess you keep him as an expiring, and a ping pong ball enhancer- he is brutal.
Kapono- Isn't there a team that needs a one dimensional shooter with personal problems?
Songalia- Who?
Battie- Play him or trade him. Tired of hearing that he can only play 14 minutes a game. How do we know that?

Anyway, wish I could be more optimistic, but Stefanski has really ruined this team. Can't imagine they get about .500 for the next 5-7 years. Can't imagine we are talking about ping pong balls in November. Can't imagine we are thinking about tanking in a year with a lousy draft. Can't imagine that I still care about this moribund pile of crap of a franchise, but I do. We do. God help us all...

Thankful for the Eagles, Phillies and Flyers....
PhillyFan
Starter
And1: 2

Re: Should I stay or should I go? 

Post#2 » by PhillyFan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:36 pm

quite a short attention span, but I do agree with starting the rebuilding part, if we aren't doing so already!
Thread title: Evan Turner Starting To Night Jody Meeks out!
PatronJames wrote:(Reads topic title) ... Ladies and gentlemen, the American Education System.
svnty6rs3
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#3 » by svnty6rs3 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:05 pm

i think the rebuilding has already started they have already said this year is a tryout year for everyone. The coaches and management are seeing what they have in the players on the team and then will make the moves based on what they see.
IversonsMother
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#4 » by IversonsMother » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:24 pm

OMG i think i love you. Finally another poster i agree 100% with.

redemption wrote:Happy Thanksgiving all. Been a while but have been watching this corpse of a team and wonder if DC is thinking of joining Jason Kapono in leaving for personal reasons. And that person is Ed Stefanski. The main reason is that this team does not have the talent necessary to compete at an NBA level.

Why? 2 simple reasons (OK, maybe three)- First, trying to squeak in the playoffs each year and getting blown out yearly has left us with a core of players who are mid first round picks. Thad, Mo, Jrue are mediocre players, seriously mitigated by lack of size, smarts, or work ethic and willingness to defend or board. Lou is what he is- a streaky offensive player who can score at times, but has neither the size or desire to defend anyone.

Secondly, Stiffanski giving near max deals to two players who have neither the bball IQ, desire to defer and make players around him better (Iggy), or aging, declining player coming off a devastating injury (EB).

Thirdly, hiring a carousel of coaches who have not been able to make these players any better or institute a system to play to their limited strengths. Hopefully DC rectifies this error but I am worried that the constant losing, and how they are losing, will drive him to a premature end. Even an eternal optimist like Doug will soon be singing 'Nobody knows the trouble I seen...'

Time to blow it up, boys. So the big question is: Who do you keep, who do you get rid of at all costs? Others have chimed in on other threads, but I thought it would be good for everyone to chime in on the same thread.

Stay-
Jrue
Turner
Thad
Speights
Noc (in fact, maybe try that lineup to see if they can defend and board)
Meeks
Brackens- 7 shots in 8 minutes? My kind of guy...

Go- (IN ORDER)
Iggy- most tradeable asset, most killing the team in terms of robbing developing time for above players.
Lou - awful, awful, awful. Puts us occasional numbers, but has no bball iq and cannot defend anyone.
Brand- Pray for a 4 to get injured on a contending team with a few expirings.
Hawes- I guess you keep him as an expiring, and a ping pong ball enhancer- he is brutal.
Kapono- Isn't there a team that needs a one dimensional shooter with personal problems?
Songalia- Who?
Battie- Play him or trade him. Tired of hearing that he can only play 14 minutes a game. How do we know that?

Anyway, wish I could be more optimistic, but Stefanski has really ruined this team. Can't imagine they get about .500 for the next 5-7 years. Can't imagine we are talking about ping pong balls in November. Can't imagine we are thinking about tanking in a year with a lousy draft. Can't imagine that I still care about this moribund pile of crap of a franchise, but I do. We do. God help us all...

Thankful for the Eagles, Phillies and Flyers....
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#5 » by ITK9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I stopped reading when you said Iggy doesn't have a good basketball IQ...
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#6 » by underpressure » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:27 pm

ITK9 wrote:I stopped reading when you said Iggy doesn't have a good basketball IQ...

Good for you because it was followed by I even more ridiculous stuff.

I think nobody deserves the tag "untradeable" on our team. Holiday and Turner are keepers for a good reasons, the remainder is kind of expendable. The only quality player that we have in Iguodala should be unfortunately also included in trade discussions, because it's getting more obvious that he doesn't fit all too well with Turner and Holiday.

But the funny (or sad) thing is that we don't have to blow up our team outright. Despite being full-manned we still struggle mightily. So we stay basically in the sweep stakes for the best picks all over the year.
bmyers3317
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#7 » by bmyers3317 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:27 pm

ITK9 wrote:I stopped reading when you said Iggy doesn't have a good basketball IQ...

Wait, you think igudala has a good basketball IQ? Hahahaha
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#8 » by agiaco » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:15 am

bmyers3317 wrote:

Aside from some of his ill-advised shots, I'd say he's quite an intelligent player. Besides, he's getting the call to take a lot of these dumb shots at the end anyway.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,487

Post#9 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:31 am

bmyers3317 wrote:

I definitely think he does...
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,487

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:34 am

I thought this thread was going to be about you specifically staying or going, because personally, I'm feeling like I need a break from this team. It's no longer a priority for me to watch the games, and I've missed maybe 10-15 games over the past 10 years. They are just painful right now.
redemption
Junior
And1: 20

Post#11 » by redemption » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:40 am

"Besides taking ill advised shots, he has a good ball IQ..."

Are you serious? What is a bigger determinant of ball IQ than knowing what type of shots to take? For five years now everyone has been telling him he needs to slash more and take drastically less fadeaways and three pointers.

How can he be so clueless as to not know his OWN strengths and weaknesses? "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Sheesh.....
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#12 » by agiaco » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:50 am

redemption wrote:"Besides taking ill advised shots, he has a good ball IQ..."

Are you serious? What is a bigger determinant of ball IQ than knowing what type of shots to take? For five years now everyone has been telling him he needs to slash more and take drastically less fadeaways and three pointers.

How can he be so clueless as to not know his OWN strengths and weaknesses? "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Sheesh.....

For one, I said SOME. Second of all, he IS a pretty smart basketball player. Almost every player has a main weakness. He's a good defender who can read the passing lanes, knows how to rebound, a good facilitator, etc. I totally agree and said that he takes some dumb shots sometimes, and I wish he would drive more and shoot less.
blackberrywhite
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by blackberrywhite » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 am

I say that Thad should be on the go list. He is a solid, high energy bench player don't get me wrong, but he has obvious weaknesses such as shooting, ballhandling, and defense. Plus he is a free agent this summer so we might as well trade him for something (he is still young and his value around the league) rather than risk losing him for nothing or overpaying him. I have a feeling that keeping him around for the entire season may cost us some lotto balls.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers