ImageImageImage

Official: Iggy for Bynum in Howard deal

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Re: Official: Iggy for Bynum in Howard deal 

Post#641 » by Xepa777 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:28 am

This trade is what got me to buy season tickets (that I still have). It's a gutsy trade that you need to do because the NBA is built on superstars. I'm from Los Angeles and am actually a primary Lakers fan (even though I'm a Clippers and Sixers season ticket holder) and I was SHOCKED that Bynum never played for us. He looked legit in LA that entire last season, even in the playoffs. Shocked, shocked.

It was just bad timing, but it was worth it because it led to this accelerated rebuild. You go for the franchise players. Always. As a Lakers fan I've experienced that force first hand, and hopefully as a Sixers fan we can all experience it soon with Embiid.
Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Post#642 » by Cokeleaf » Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:34 am

This entire trade makes me hate the Lakers even more so than before.

They knew Bynum's knees were non-functional and ready to implode and took advantage of us :( Hate them to no end
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#643 » by MountainDrew » Sun Sep 7, 2014 11:04 am

Cokeleaf wrote:This entire trade makes me hate the Lakers even more so than before.

They knew Bynum's knees were non-functional and ready to implode and took advantage of us :( Hate them to no end

That's not their fault though, it was simply a smart move by them. Thorn and Collins should have gathered more info on Bynum's health.
Trust the Process
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#644 » by bedjawII » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:44 pm

KramerDSP wrote:Sorry if I am breaking any protocols with bumping up old posts, but I was looking at the only And1 I have on this forum. I came across this abomination of a thread.

And then I realized we are only two years and one month removed from the He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named trade that crippled our franchise. And now we have:

Joel Embiid
Nerlens Noel
Michael Carter-Williams
The Rights To Dario Saric
KJ MCDaniels
Sixers 2015 1st (likely top three overall) (Towns/Muiday/Oubre/Okafor/Johnson)
Miami's 2015 1st (top ten protected)
The Rights To Vasilije Micic
Tony Wroten
$30 million dollars of cap space

Good lord!!! The Sixers might end up actually being the long-term winners of the Bynum trade, because it basically indirectly brought Sam Hinkie into town. But the night of the trade, my euphoria was through the roof. And the big lug ended up never playing a game for us. Crazy.

I think the expiration date on judging the Bynum trade has long past. We got hosed and that's why we were forced to rebuild and have one of the longest losing streaks in NBA history. I'm usually pretty optimistic but saying the Bynum trade was such a disaster that it lead us to change the entire direction of the franchise, thus bringing us Hinkie et al. is to far a stretch to me. The Bynum deal is done and closed and we lost. Moving on!
SavageBel
Starter
And1: 269

Post#645 » by SavageBel » Sun Sep 7, 2014 2:42 pm

God, we were so happy.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#646 » by bigdavid » Sun Sep 7, 2014 4:17 pm

Why are we still talking about this?
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Re: Rumor (WOJ): Iggy for Bynum in Howard deal 

Post#647 » by MountainDrew » Sun Sep 7, 2014 4:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Never high on Harkless to begin with. Moultrie is our best prospect IMO.

Crazy how much has happened in so little time.
Trust the Process
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Re: Rumor (WOJ): Iggy for Bynum in Howard deal 

Post#648 » by Phila Tough » Sun Sep 7, 2014 5:29 pm

MountainDrew wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Never high on Harkless to begin with. Moultrie is our best prospect IMO.

Crazy how much has happened in so little time.

Yikes lol.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#649 » by Ericb5 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:10 am

I wasn't on this board at the time of the trade, but I was really excited about it too.

We had gone as far as we could with Iggy so trading for Bynum was a no brainer. I knew that Bynum had a Bad reputation, but I had no idea just how broken his body was and how much of. Knucklehead he was.

In retrospect the trade was a disaster, but it obviously led us to our current situation.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,449

Post#650 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:14 am

bedjawII wrote:
KramerDSP wrote:Sorry if I am breaking any protocols with bumping up old posts, but I was looking at the only And1 I have on this forum. I came across this abomination of a thread.

And then I realized we are only two years and one month removed from the He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named trade that crippled our franchise. And now we have:

Joel Embiid
Nerlens Noel
Michael Carter-Williams
The Rights To Dario Saric
KJ MCDaniels
Sixers 2015 1st (likely top three overall) (Towns/Muiday/Oubre/Okafor/Johnson)
Miami's 2015 1st (top ten protected)
The Rights To Vasilije Micic
Tony Wroten
$30 million dollars of cap space

Good lord!!! The Sixers might end up actually being the long-term winners of the Bynum trade, because it basically indirectly brought Sam Hinkie into town. But the night of the trade, my euphoria was through the roof. And the big lug ended up never playing a game for us. Crazy.

I think the expirteation date on judging the Bynum trade has long past. We got hosed and that's why we were forced to rebuild and have one of the longest losing streaks in NBA history. I'm usually pretty optimistic but saying the Bynum trade was such a disaster that it lead us to change the entire direction of the franchise, thus bringing us Hinkie et al. is to far a stretch to me. The Bynum deal is done and closed and we lost. Moving on!

I have to say this team swung for the fences with this trade and struck out. But then they turn around and do what 99% of the teams in the NBA would not have done. Try to rebuild the right way. No quick fixes, no throwing $$$ at free agents just so we can get back on that, 1st round and out, playoff treadmill, but by sucking it up biting the bullet and trying to draft and develop talent based on his Hinkie's model....doing it his way.

This whole, average team tries to build a contender by trading for a star, having the trade fail and then go on to build a better team, has the making of a hollywood story. "IF" Hinkie pulls this off, makes the 76ers into a contending team, he will be regarded as one of the best GM's in the modern day era.

They made a movie called "Moneyball", which provided a blueprint that a lot of teams followed. I believe it was the Boston Red Sox, who have had the most success with this concept. Perhaps we all have a front row seat and are witnessing Philadelphia's own version of Moneyball!

The Bynum trade and it's ripple effects are far from over.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#651 » by roma258 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:33 pm

bedjawII wrote:I think the expiration date on judging the Bynum trade has long past. We got hosed and that's why we were forced to rebuild and have one of the longest losing streaks in NBA history. I'm usually pretty optimistic but saying the Bynum trade was such a disaster that it lead us to change the entire direction of the franchise, thus bringing us Hinkie et al. is to far a stretch to me. The Bynum deal is done and closed and we lost. Moving on!

Cause I just can't get enough...
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#652 » by F-Stop » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:03 pm

If we get a 2 year championship run outta this it will be worth it.

I hated the trade when we did it. I would never trade with the Lakers, I haven't seen them on the bad side of a trade that I can remember. I was sure Bynum was hurt (my opinion) I just didn't know it was that bad.

If nothing we got rid f the Nets management.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,568

Post#653 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:20 pm

F-Stop wrote:If we get a 2 year championship run outta this it will be worth it.

I hated the trade when we did it. I would never trade with the Lakers, I haven't seen them on the bad side of a trade that I can remember. I was sure Bynum was hurt (my opinion) I just didn't know it was that bad.

Nash trade. They hosed themselves hard.

heck, Dwight trade wasn't good for them. They lost a pick and Dwight walked to Houston after a so so season.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#654 » by F-Stop » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:43 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good call

The last 2 years have not been kind to the Lakers.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#655 » by LloydFree » Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:16 pm

F-Stop wrote:If we get a 2 year championship run outta this it will be worth it.

Exactly. The trade worked out well, from my point of view. Got all of those Nets (and St Joes) guys thrown out in the street. It forced them to crash all of the way to the bottom. Frankly, I was tired of a team who's best player was Andre Iguodala. Forced them to have no other option, other than to rebuild properly.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,449

Post#656 » by Eyeamok » Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:32 pm

So the question then becomes who made out on that deal.

A bad trade of us.
The Lakers were unable to retain Howard.
And the Magic are a lottery team too. One step behind us in last years draft.

So who made out?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#657 » by Ericb5 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 7:39 pm

Eyeamok wrote:So the question then becomes who made out on that deal.

A bad trade of us.
The Lakers were unable to retain Howard.
And the Magic are a lottery team too. One step behind us in last years draft.

So who made out?

Well none of the teams improved, but if you look at it today in terms of who received the best assets then I would think that you would have to give it to Orlando.

They got Vucevic and Harkless plus the ability to trade up with us for Payton(not counting the second rounder). They would have lost Dwight for nothing had they not made the deal so I sort of take it as a given that they were losing him.

The haul that Minnesota got for Kevin Love is WAY better than teams in that situation usually do.

Harkless is still a prospect with upside, and even if Vucevic never improves, he is still a very good player. How many big men in the league will average his scoring and rebounding averages when healthy? Not too many...

The Lakers and the Sixers both got blown up.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers