ImageImageImage

76ers (5-4) vs Cavaliers (2-6) Sunday (11/18) - 6:00 PM

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Apo
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: 76ers (5-4) vs Cavaliers (2-6) Sunday (11/18) - 6:00 PM 

Post#221 » by Apo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 am

Jrue is growing a lot, yes he still has some TO issues but I think this year he's being our best player hands down. He's scoring, he's assisting, he's playing very good defence, he's leading... we should be happy with this, especially if we think he is still very young and he will (probably) limit his TOs growing.
Tonight he scored a little less than his average...but his defence on one of the best PG of the league was fantastic.
We have a future star here.
we talkin' about PRACTICE!
P76
Ballboy

Post#222 » by P76 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 am

AusHoops wrote:
P76 wrote:
AusHoops wrote:I believe the quote was "doing well tonight." Maybe, just maybe, you could take the time to read before calling people foolish and in turn looking like a fool.

how is the logic of my post lost on you

Your logic? He played well tonight, but lets disregard that and sack him? Oh, OK.

"Spencer has been doing very well tonight & people are still calling for his head. Interesting."

-people are calling for spencer's head because he's a bad player
-poster asserts spencer has been having a good night shooting, and therefore people should not be critical of his flaws as a player
-i say people on this forum overweight recent performance in their consideration of players

hope this breakdown was helpful
Lefraud James
Ballboy

Post#223 » by Lefraud James » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 am

I hope you guys see Jrue Turner and Bynum soon. You guys are going to be sick if this happens.
Semaj
Head Coach
And1: 68

Post#224 » by Semaj » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 am

P76 wrote:
AusHoops wrote:
Trend Settaz wrote:Spencer has been doing very well tonight & people are still calling for his head. Interesting.

this.

this exemplifies the foolish tendency of people on this board to let their opinion of a player be dictated by his performance in the last 1 or 2 games

anyone can have a good game. what you should care about is long-run effectiveness, not bursts of good play

Good point. Next time I watch the Sixers play, I will only focus on how well/bad the players will look a few years from now rather than actually paying attention to what's presently taking place.

*Turner scores 35 points vs. Miami*
"SMH, not like he's gonna be able to do that in 2016 vs. Shabazz in his prime. Not impressed."
Courtesy of UncleDrew
P76
Ballboy

Post#225 » by P76 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 am

Trend Settaz wrote:Good point. Next time I watch the Sixers play, I will only focus on how well/bad the players will look a few years from now rather than actually paying attention to what's presently taking place.

"SMH, not like he's gonna be able to do that in 2016 vs. Shabazz in his prime."

did you actually miss my point this badly or are you just kidding
Apo
Sophomore

Post#226 » by Apo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

Guys, we won! There's no need to argue!

Trend Settaz wrote:*Turner scores 35 points vs. Miami*

This got me laughing, however
Semaj
Head Coach
And1: 68

Post#227 » by Semaj » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

P76 wrote:
Trend Settaz wrote:Good point. Next time I watch the Sixers play, I will only focus on how well/bad the players will look a few years from now rather than actually paying attention to what's presently taking place.

I think you missed your point more than I did.
Courtesy of UncleDrew
AusHoops
Sophomore

Post#228 » by AusHoops » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 am

P76 wrote:"Spencer has been doing very well tonight & people are still calling for his head. Interesting."

-poster asserts spencer has been having a good night shooting, and therefore people should not be critical of his flaws as a player
-i say people on this forum overweight recent performance in their consideration of players

Your first point is invalid. He's certainly not a bad player. He's not good, but he's not bad. Mid-level.

Secondly, you took what the poster said and manipulated it. He called it interesting.

Thirdly, recent performance is something most people take into consideration when thinking of player, ie,. 3, 5, 10 game streaks. Spencer hasn't been spectacular this year, but he's held his own and averages a team high in blocks. He's still more useful than he would be if he was sacked.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,510

Post#229 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:48 am

Good win and awesome team game. Turner had it going from the start with his Pippen like performace. I want to see him do it again next time and the time after and so forth. Lets keep the streak of good games going for ET.
Jrue was awesome as usual and his defense on Irving was pretty damn good.
Whatever whatever we got another win...LETS GO!
Apo
Sophomore

Post#230 » by Apo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:49 am

Anyone knows something about Nick Young's injury? I'm from Italy so I can't see postgame shows or stuff like that.
AusHoops
Sophomore

Post#231 » by AusHoops » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Good win and awesome team game. Turner had it going from the start with his Pippen like performace. I want to see him do it again next time and the time after and so forth. Lets keep the streak of good games going for ET.
Jrue was awesome as usual and his defense on Irving was pretty damn good.
Whatever whatever we got another win...LETS GO!

We're on a roll :) We're getting better each game, IMO.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#232 » by Eyeamok » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 am

Hawes is playing the position he is supposed to play. Back up center. He will continue to thrive in this role. He will be even better once we get our center, Bynum, back. Yes I believe he will play this season.

Nick young may have bad shooting nights. But unlike Lou Williams, he is not the man with the ball in his hands at the end of games. He is there to shoot and that is all he does....shoot. Part of Lou's problem was that DC gave him to much rope to do anything and everything on offense and it cost us games more often than it won us games.

ET had a very good game and I like what I have seen out of him these last few games. He is playing with confidence and doing an excellent job setting up guys to score and scoring himself. Being an alternate ball handler out there with Holiday is a position I hope he can grow into and be constant with.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
P76
Ballboy

Post#233 » by P76 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:54 am

Trend Settaz wrote:
P76 wrote:

I think you missed your point more than I did.

can't believe i have to write this out

what i meant by "long-run performance" is what you can expect from a player on a nightly basis rather than what a player gives you in an arbitrary 30-40 minute stint

if turner scores 35 points in miami, great for him, but until he starts demonstrating he can do so consistently, why should we treat this as a worthwhile indicator of future performance? literally any player with a decent shot can get "hot" (read: lucky) on a given night, take a high volume of shots and hit most of them.

when brian scalabrine "finally started to get minutes" in his fourth year in the league, he went off for 29 points vs golden state. does that mean he was turning a corner in his game and finally becoming a dirk nowitzki-esque scorer? no, but sadly people like you and others on this forum would treat the game as evidence of just that.
P76
Ballboy

Post#234 » by P76 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 am

AusHoops wrote:
P76 wrote:"Spencer has been doing very well tonight & people are still calling for his head. Interesting."

Your first point is invalid. He's certainly not a bad player. He's not good, but he's not bad. Mid-level.

Secondly, you took what the poster said and manipulated it. He called it interesting.

Thirdly, recent performance is something most people take into consideration when thinking of player, ie,. 3, 5, 10 game streaks. Spencer hasn't been spectacular this year, but he's held his own and averages a team high in blocks. He's still more useful than he would be if he was sacked.

1. good lord, glad we hashed that totally meaninful point out
2. what do you think he meant by "interesting" lmao
3. just because "people" do it, doesn't mean it isn't stupid

recent stints of good performance can be indicators of a turnaround in performance, but people tend to read into streaks too much. it's a well-documented psychological bias.
Apo
Sophomore

Post#235 » by Apo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 am

Hawes can be good... I think he only needs to be more aggressive under the boards. We know Thad is not a very good shooter and a terrible ball handler but most of us like him because he fights every game. Spencer just needs to be fighting like that... with his size he can be a good rebounder, he just plays too soft at times, that's why some people (including me) pick on him imo.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#236 » by roma258 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

So confused by this board tonight. We just got a very nice win, with our two young cornerstones carrying the day and people are arguing about Spencer Hawes and Nick Young? Dafuq? One of the best all around ET games of his career. The post up on Kyrie was a thing of beauty and he made it look so easy. Jru outplayed the best young PG in the league, period. Let's enjoy this and argue over Nick Young's swag some other time.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Typeical
Lead Assistant
And1: 36

Post#237 » by Typeical » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 am

roma258 wrote:So confused by this board tonight. We just got a very nice win, with our two young cornerstones carrying the day and people are arguing about Spencer Hawes and Nick Young? Dafuq? One of the best all around ET games of his career. The post up on Kyrie was a thing of beauty and he made it look so easy. Jru outplayed the best young PG in the league, period. Let's enjoy this and argue over Nick Young's swag some other time.

Knux called it already. You know we were going to find something to argue(debate) about.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#238 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 am

Missed the game, would love to see that defensive sequence of Holiday on Irving that everyone was chanting about.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#239 » by KrazySixersD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:32 am

i just love how jrue shut people up tonight....

we need the next 2 games... get to 8-4
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#240 » by cksdayoff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 am

ankle420breaker wrote:Missed the game, would love to see that defensive sequence of Holiday on Irving that everyone was chanting about.

Jrue blew by Kyrie and made a smooth acrobatic layup around Varejao. Kyrie took it personal on the ensuing play by getting fancy with his dribble work just left of the top of the key and he proceeded to attempt to shake off Holiday with an array of crossovers but Jrue never bit on any of them. Jrue stood his ground staying in front of Irving every step of the way but Irving did break through but missed the layup attempt.

Jrue blanketed Irving for most of the night. He even stole his lunch money at one point.
#failforfultz

Return to Philadelphia 76ers