ImageImageImage

Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Re: Embiid 

Post#521 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:32 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:yeah considering his injury is a 5-8 month rehab timetable, and he had the surgery in late June, I would really like to see him back on the court by March.

With Noel, I could buy into the philosophy of sitting him the entire season because they could argue they wanted to revamp his entire offensive game.

I think with Embiid, he's a guy who's only played basketball for 4 years, and I personally think he needs all the live playing time and development he can get.

I'd prefer to have him sit for the whole season. Noel's injury was more of a freak thing that you figured he would come back from when healed. With Embiid it was a stress fracture which means that it is something potentially more chronic in nature. We not only have to let him heal, but we need to strengthen his body in order to keep it from happening again.

I would love to see him in practice before the end of the year, but I don't think that we should see him in game action until the summer league. Just take it easy with him and be really cautious. I agree that he needs all the experience that he can get, but the number one thing is his health.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
76ers3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#522 » by 76ers3 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:51 am

No reason for him to play this season, especially if we are trying to accumulate as many losses as possible. It would be cool to see what we have in him at a professional level, but no sense in risking an injury.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#523 » by LloydFree » Tue Oct 7, 2014 10:23 am

Ericb5 wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:yeah considering his injury is a 5-8 month rehab timetable, and he had the surgery in late June, I would really like to see him back on the court by March.

With Noel, I could buy into the philosophy of sitting him the entire season because they could argue they wanted to revamp his entire offensive game.

I think with Embiid, he's a guy who's only played basketball for 4 years, and I personally think he needs all the live playing time and development he can get.

I'd prefer to have him sit for the whole season. Noel's injury was more of a freak thing that you figured he would come back from when healed. With Embiid it was a stress fracture which means that it is something potentially more chronic in nature. We not only have to let him heal, but we need to strengthen his body in order to keep it from happening again.

I would love to see him in practice before the end of the year, but I don't think that we should see him in game action until the summer league. Just take it easy with him and be really cautious. I agree that he needs all the experience that he can get, but the number one thing is his health.

I disagree. I think Embiid should play this year. His case is not the same as Noel. Noel needed to sit out for more than just the injury. He had to add weight to his frame and he had to learn to shoot. Embiid doesn't have the same issues.
He has the same stress fracture that Jordan had in his 2nd year. Jordan sat out 5 months during the season, then came back and scored 60 on the Celtics in the playoffs. They can can let Embiid come back and play. Once they say he's healed, he's healed. What's the point of letting him sit there?
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#524 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:22 am

LloydFree wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

I disagree. I think Embiid should play this year. His case is not the same as Noel. Noel needed to sit out for more than just the injury. He had to add weight to his frame and he had to learn to shoot. Embiid doesn't have the same issues.
He has the same stress fracture that Jordan had in his 2nd year. Jordan sat out 5 months during the season, then came back and scored 60 on the Celtics in the playoffs. They can can let Embiid come back and play. Once they say he's healed, he's healed. What's the point of letting him sit there?

I agree that he should play when they feel that he is ready even if that is this season. My fear though is that this injury could happen again or to the other foot if there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#525 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:20 pm

Grooming a legit backup center is very important for this team regardless if Embiud is healthy or not. I hope Sims proves to be that guy and we can keep him long term as a insurance policy.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#526 » by roma258 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 1:35 pm

Obviously Embiid coming back will have to be contingent on him being 110% healthy, pain free, cleared by all the medical pros, etc... But if that does happen in let's say January or February, get him practicing and put him out there if he's ready. The worst thing that happens is he loses his shot at ROY. Oh well...
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,458

Post#527 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:06 pm

Ericb5 wrote:

Doctors who treat this injury say that once the injury heals it's more about the orthotics than anything else. If he's healed and ready to go in January or February, waiting another 6 months isn't going to decrease his chance of re-injury.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#528 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:43 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Doctors who treat this injury say that once the injury heals it's more about the orthotics than anything else. If he's healed and ready to go in January or February, waiting another 6 months isn't going to decrease his chance of re-injury.

That makes sense from the injury itself. When it is healed it is healed.

My concerns are more with any mechanical issues that may have contributed to the injury that could be mitigated by targeting weight training.

Reading about his rapid weight gain before the injury the other day gives me hope that that was a primary factor. His weight when the foot heels might be important as to whether or not he is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#529 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 6:42 pm

Count me in as wanting to see Embiid play this year. They don't have to have him play 40 minutes right off the bat. They could ease him in and play 20 minutes per game and maybe play every other game to see how his foot looks. No need to sit him. Once he's ready put him on the court. Just play him small minutes and don't play him on back to back nights and monitor. I want to see him play.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#530 » by Knighthonor » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:07 pm

http://www.nba.com/games/20141008/CHAPHI/gameinfo.html

Sorry but I couldnt help but notice Embiid is limping.

Whats going on?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#531 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:44 pm

He's wearing a boot. For his broken foot.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#532 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Knighthonor wrote:http://www.nba.com/games/20141008/CHAPHI/gameinfo.html

Sorry but I couldnt help but notice Embiid is limping.

Whats going on?

For reals?
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Post#533 » by 76ers 2020 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:47 pm

LloydFree wrote:I disagree. I think Embiid should play this year. His case is not the same as Noel. Noel needed to sit out for more than just the injury. He had to add weight to his frame and he had to learn to shoot. Embiid doesn't have the same issues.

I think you are right. The guy was making improvements game to game last year. Someone that improves that quickly needs to play. Especially with the overall lack of playing experience. It isn't like they would have to give him 35 minutes a game. The only way sitting would make sense I think is if he has a bunch of minor physical issues that time not playing could help. Like strengthening his back. It is possible to strengthen bones but the best way to do that is running and jumping.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#534 » by BNelley24 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm

About Embiid, like other's said he's wearing a boot, when you wear a boot you have to limp lol.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#535 » by Phila Tough » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:20 pm

It feels good to have a franchise player on our roster.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#536 » by Ericb5 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:It feels good to have a franchise player on our roster.

I still think that people tend to overlook what kind of prospect Embiid is and even how high is FLOOR is if his health can be established.

His physical gifts, his skill, his mental makeup, and his rapid improvement at Kansas are very rare.

He IS the closest thing to a franchise player coming in to the nba as any prospect since Lebron. Everybody is high on Anthony Davis, as they should be. He is the next superstar in the league and a franchise player in his own right, but I think that Embiid can be even better than Davis.

Do people really understand what we have here? His health has been so scary that I think that people tend to under rate him as a prospect. It all comes down to his health.

In my opinion, if he can get and stay healthy, he will be our franchise player and the best big man in basketball in a few years. Almost NOTHING else matters in terms of our rebuild. Noel, Saric and MCW can be really good players, but if they ALL reach their ceilings and Embiid's health busts then the team would be in worse shape than if NONE of them reached their ceilings and Embiid stayed healthy.

If you have a superstar big man you can always fill in the pieces to make a contender. I'm pissed about the draft changes coming, but it almost doesn't matter at this point.

We have so many young assets and so much cap flexibility, that if Embiid can be healthy, we can make the moves that we need to make to turn us into a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Philadelphia 76ers