ImageImageImage

Dario Saric: The Prince That Was Promised (thread renamed 7/14/16)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Re: Falling for Dario Naharis.. I mean, Dario Saric. 

Post#1841 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 pm

eagereyez wrote:I think he's making the wrong decision. He will make $8M total over the next 4 years. If he waited one more year, he would make $20M by then. There's also the risk for bust, and the fact that his second contract isn't guaranteed to be a fat one. Huge mistake on his part IMO. Good for the Sixers tho, obviously.

Everyone has their own values. He values his word over the risk that he is taking. It is just that simple.

He is following a path that will guide him well through the rest of his life, and he is obviously confident in his game.

This is not the decision that most players would make, but I find it very refreshing that his word is important to him.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#1842 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm a diehard 76ers fan......but. If I was his father I'd tell him not to come over. Fans are fickle they love you one moment hate you the next. Ownership is fickle they love you one minute trade you the next. Basketball is a kids sport but the NBA is a business. If I was in his inner circle. I'd tell him to make as much money as he can in the shortest period of time. Pure and simple. And staying another year will get him more dollars in a shorter time span. Of course you could get injured before you get to the NBA, but life is full of choices.

And signing your name on a contract is giving your word correct?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#1843 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Everyone has their own values. He values his word over the risk that he is taking. It is just that simple.

He is following a path that will guide him well through the rest of his life, and he is obviously confident in his game.

This is not the decision that most players would make, but I find it very refreshing that his word is important to him.

I was going to say something similar. Although a seemingly lost concept, someone's word used to mean something and Saric might be someone who considers himself a man of his word. Just the same, he probably does have a lot of confidence in himself and perhaps he thinks his next contract will be even bigger than the one he might be able to sign next year and he'll catch up/surpass it in the end. Lastly, with what has been going on in Turkey lately, perhaps the instability of the area helped nudge him towards the U.S.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#1844 » by eagereyez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:I think he's making the wrong decision. He will make $8M total over the next 4 years. If he waited one more year, he would make $20M by then. There's also the risk for bust, and the fact that his second contract isn't guaranteed to be a fat one. Huge mistake on his part IMO. Good for the Sixers tho, obviously.

Everyone has their own values. He values his word over the risk that he is taking. It is just that simple.

It's a really poor decision regardless of how confident he is in his game. He's throwing away $12M to keep his word to a bunch of millionaire/billionaire owners, a group of people who wouldn't waste a second dumping him if he turns out to be a bust. Everyone has their own values, but that doesn't mean their values are smart.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#1845 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:40 pm

For all the doubters and naysayers, the ship has sailed. The Homie is coming. What you think he should do is now irrelevant.

Time to start thinking about his role.

Is he our 6th man?

Does he start alongside Simmons?

Is he the point forward for the bench unit?

Even if he doesn't start, does he finish the game?
Eta Carinae
Junior
And1: 86

Post#1846 » by Eta Carinae » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 pm

He is going to earn a lot of money either way. Maybe he just want to compete with the best as soon as possible. I love that he seems to be sticking to his word.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1847 » by agiaco » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Wanted to share this quick image I made a few weeks ago, now that we have some good news :) so stoked for Saric

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1848 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:08 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

It's a really poor decision regardless of how confident he is in his game. He's throwing away $12M to keep his word to a bunch of millionaire/billionaire owners, a group of people who wouldn't waste a second dumping him if he turns out to be a bust. Everyone has their own values, but that doesn't mean their values are smart.

Life is complicated. People who live by principles do better in the end than people who opportunistically break promises for other reasons. Even if in THIS case the money could be worth breaking the rule, the fact that he lives by the rules will serve him well for the rest of his life.

Also, he is going to be set for life no matter what so it isn't like this is a decision between being rich or poor. It is between rich and richer.
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#1849 » by TFK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

Yes, it's giving your word that you will abide by the terms of the contract. And if the terms of the contract had a buy out clause negotiated in, then utilizing that clause is not going against your word.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#1850 » by jbent87 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Arsenal wrote:For all the doubters and naysayers, the ship has sailed. The Homie is coming. What you think he should do is now irrelevant.

Time to start thinking about his role.

Is he our 6th man?

Does he start alongside Simmons?

Is he the point forward for the bench unit?

Even if he doesn't start, does he finish the game?

Point Forward for the night shift. Ben Simmons 2.0 role there. He is similiar to Ben Simmons so while that thinking makes me think put him on the night shift, I would hope that Brett still doesn't rule out a death lineup of Saric at the 4 and Simmons at the 5. Maybe even Simmons plays the 3 in that scenario with Nerlens/Embiid at the 5. It's a good problem to have.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1851 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm

TFK wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Yes, it's giving your word that you will abide by the terms of the contract. And if the terms of the contract had a buy out clause negotiated in, then utilizing that clause is not going against your word.

You are right my friend you are right. So either way he stays or he goes he is not going against his word.

:beer:

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1852 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Before I forget.

Thank you Sam.

Marlo
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#1853 » by kriss73 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:47 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/748256018023407617[/tweet]

soon
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Kirk Van Houten
Junior
And1: 116

Post#1854 » by Kirk Van Houten » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm

He was never not coming. Why would you want to play another year in turkey when you have the NBA screaming for you.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#1855 » by eagereyez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Life is complicated. People who live by principles do better in the end than people who opportunistically break promises for other reasons. Even if in THIS case the money could be worth breaking the rule, the fact that he lives by the rules will serve him well for the rest of his life.

Also, he is going to be set for life no matter what so it isn't like this is a decision between being rich or poor. It is between rich and richer.

You don't know that he's going to be set for life. He could have a career ending injury at any moment. That is why it makes no sense to take a 250% paycut. Imagine if Shaun Livingston did the same thing. Or Derrick Rose, Grant Hill, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, etc. And even if he is healthy, there's no guarantee that he will be successful in the NBA. It's nice to have principles, but sometimes it's better to listen to common sense. "Always keep your promise." So if a woman marries a man who beats her everyday, she should stay with him because she made a promise? People break promises all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's alright to change your mind.
Eta Carinae
Junior

Post#1856 » by Eta Carinae » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:It's a really poor decision regardless of how confident he is in his game. He's throwing away $12M to keep his word to a bunch of millionaire/billionaire owners, a group of people who wouldn't waste a second dumping him if he turns out to be a bust. Everyone has their own values, but that doesn't mean their values are smart.

You don't know that he's going to be set for life. He could have a career ending injury at any moment. That is why it makes no sense to take a 250% paycut. Imagine if Shaun Livingston did the same thing. Or Derrick Rose, Grant Hill, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, etc. And even if he is healthy, there's no guarantee that he will be successful in the NBA. It's nice to have principles, but sometimes it's better to listen to common sense. "Always keep your promise." So if a woman marries a man who beats her everyday, she should stay with him because she made a promise? People break promises all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's alright to change your mind.

And if the career ending injury happens in turkey?
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#1857 » by USWAY » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm

I have a feeling he and Simmons on the court together is gonna be just bonkers. Beautiful ball movement here we come. Whoever is playing C, whether it's Biid, Jah, or Noel, is gonna get some great looks.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#1858 » by eagereyez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Eta Carinae wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

He's only playing ~24 games a year in Turkey. Much lower risk for injury than the NBA.
Eta Carinae
Junior

Post#1859 » by Eta Carinae » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:47 pm

USWAY wrote:I have a feeling he and Simmons on the court together is gonna be just bonkers. Beautiful ball movement here we come. Whoever is playing C, whether it's Biid, Jah, or Noel, is gonna get some great looks.

I can´t wait!
Eta Carinae
Junior

Post#1860 » by Eta Carinae » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Eta Carinae wrote:
eagereyez wrote:You don't know that he's going to be set for life. He could have a career ending injury at any moment. That is why it makes no sense to take a 250% paycut. Imagine if Shaun Livingston did the same thing. Or Derrick Rose, Grant Hill, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, etc. And even if he is healthy, there's no guarantee that he will be successful in the NBA. It's nice to have principles, but sometimes it's better to listen to common sense. "Always keep your promise." So if a woman marries a man who beats her everyday, she should stay with him because she made a promise? People break promises all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's alright to change your mind.

He's only playing ~24 games a year in Turkey. Much lower risk for injury than the NBA.

Not true if you include Euro league and playoffs

Return to Philadelphia 76ers