Hopefully you can steal one of those 2 in FA
Bigballer74
Sophomore
And1: 93

Re: 2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#822 » by Bigballer74 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 am

FlightBrothers wrote:Throw the max at butler and Leonard draft Okafor or towns

Hopefully you can steal one of those 2 in FA

Doesn't matter what you offer Leonard, you're not getting him. Nobody can pay more than the spurs, so if he did get a max offer from another team, it's actually a bargain for them to match. I don't understand how people don't get this.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#823 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm

I am favor of drafting Porzingis in the top via trading down. He projects to be a legit Stretch PF /C with speed, length and quickness. I would stash in in Europe for a year. I think he has very high upside and a great fit to put around Embiid and Noel. I like the flexibility of stashing him allowing us to rebuild slow and steady.

I definitely think Saric is a Smallforward in the NBA . Hedo Turkgulu potential who is great piece to compliment low post big man .

I hope who get assets to acquire Mario Hezonja with our Miami pick. The kid is a stud and fits us perfectly . A long shooting guard who can create his own shot. Heck yes.

Porzingis and Hezonja would be great. Then 2016 lottery pick on a scoring wing star to complete our rebuilding process.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#824 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:59 pm

^^^ If we're not in position to grab Okafor aka have the #1 pick, I would be open to doing some maneuvering like that.
ESPN Sucks
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#825 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:12 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:^^^ If we're not in position to grab Okafor aka have the #1 pick, I would be open to doing some maneuvering like that.

I don't want Okafor he reminds me Jabari Parker too much. A polished product without much mystery upside to his game.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#826 » by BoomBap » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:50 pm

i don't want another skinny big and i don't want to wait another year for our high lottery pick. Let us pick a guy who is healthy and ready to play. PLEASE
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#827 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:08 pm

That's what the Bucks did and look what happened. Not everyone is a sure thing, injuries happens.

I understand people want to trade down to get certain players they want but it's not a good idea if you have a top pick. Cleveland has gotten the top pick in 3 of 4 years, did they trade down to target a certain player? You grab the BPA and deal with it down the line with fit. Also not a sure thing that the player you want will be available at that spot. Another team can just trade into a spot ahead of you for that player then what will you do? Or if the team picking ahead of you takes him knowing you want that guy and demands a ransom for that player, will you give in? Just like how we did it to Orlando last year. We are still rebuilding so trading future picks or players for that certain guy is out of the question.

We are in no position right now to draft needs, our big men isn't a sure thing atm. I know we need shooters/slashers but we need to shore up our middle first before going after needs. We fans are suffering right now and I want them to draft the closest thing to a shore player then go for potential/projects. I do understand there can be bust a the top of the draft but the chances of that happening are less then picking lower in the draft.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#828 » by LloydFree » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:24 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:I am favor of drafting Porzingis in the top via trading down. He projects to be a legit Stretch PF /C with speed, length and quickness. I would stash in in Europe for a year. I think he has very high upside and a great fit to put around Embiid and Noel. I like the flexibility of stashing him allowing us to rebuild slow and steady.

I definitely think Saric is a Smallforward in the NBA . Hedo Turkgulu potential who is great piece to compliment low post big man .

I hope who get assets to acquire Mario Hezonja with our Miami pick. The kid is a stud and fits us perfectly . A long shooting guard who can create his own shot. Heck yes.

Porzingis and Hezonja would be great. Then 2016 lottery pick on a scoring wing star to complete our rebuilding process.

I'm not very familiar with Porzigis' game because I haven't seen his team play, but I've seen multiple commenters say they would like to pick him if we do not get #1. What is in his game that makes him superior to Karl Towns, Miles Turner or Trey Lyles?
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#829 » by James40 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:^^^ If we're not in position to grab Okafor aka have the #1 pick, I would be open to doing some maneuvering like that.

I don't want Okafor he reminds me Jabari Parker too much. A polished product without much mystery upside to his game.

Yea, he' stinks, 6'11" 270lbs, and has better handles than 3/4 of the guys currently on the Sixers. But he's probably the next Charles Shackleford.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#830 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Believe Embiid is agile enough to play PF which is why I'd still take Okafor.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
vdalfmd
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#831 » by vdalfmd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:08 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:I am favor of drafting Porzingis in the top via trading down. He projects to be a legit Stretch PF /C with speed, length and quickness. I would stash in in Europe for a year. I think he has very high upside and a great fit to put around Embiid and Noel. I like the flexibility of stashing him allowing us to rebuild slow and steady.

I'm not very familiar with Porzigis' game because I haven't seen his team play, but I've seen multiple commenters say they would like to pick him if we do not get #1. What is in his game that makes him superior to Karl Towns, Miles Turner or Trey Lyles?

There's a good video on DraftExpress which shows his game vs Barcelona (one of Euro's top team... and, being European and following EuroLeague, he's really a very good and experienced team), in which he played pretty well.

He's a legit stretch 4 prospect, he has solid shooting mechanics (but still inconsistent sometimes), he is very athletic and can play above the rim. Offensively, he's a classic face-up power forward since he has an incredible combination of size (7 footer with 7'5 wingspan): impressive handle for such a big man, nice touch with either hands, very quick first step. Defensively, he has great tools and he's still learning concepts: reports are positive in that regard. I need to see more of his games to evaluate his passing and feel of the game. Towns is a crazily gifted passer, but right now it seems that Porzingis is more fluid as an athlete and his footwork and touch are more polished.

The main concern is that he's very skinny (only 220 lbs on DX) and it's not sure that he can handle NBA harder games in the future, he has a good frame but it seems that he struggled to put weight during these years. Anyway, to me it's not a big concern because his pick would be likely a stash. I think his upside is a taller and longer Chris Bosh (who is only 235 lbs after all). Right now, he is #2 on my big board after Towns.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#832 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm

vdalfmd wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

There's a good video on DraftExpress which shows his game vs Barcelona (one of Euro's top team... and, being European and following EuroLeague, he's really a very good and experienced team), in which he played pretty well.

He's a legit stretch 4 prospect, he has solid shooting mechanics (but still inconsistent sometimes), he is very athletic and can play above the rim. Offensively, he's a classic face-up power forward since he has an incredible combination of size (7 footer with 7'5 wingspan): impressive handle for such a big man, nice touch with either hands, very quick first step. Defensively, he has great tools and he's still learning concepts: reports are positive in that regard. I need to see more of his games to evaluate his passing and feel of the game. Towns is a crazily gifted passer, but right now it seems that Porzingis is more fluid as an athlete and his footwork and touch are more polished.

The main concern is that he's very skinny (only 220 lbs on DX) and it's not sure that he can handle NBA harder games in the future, he has a good frame but it seems that he struggled to put weight during these years. Anyway, to me it's not a big concern because his pick would be likely a stash. I think his upside is a taller and longer Chris Bosh (who is only 235 lbs after all). Right now, he is #2 on my big board after Towns.

Towns is a center through and through he moves like a center. He is moderately athletic for a Center. Prozingis has the similar mobility and athleticism that Embiid and Noel possess . Also has the size and versatility to play PF like Noel and Center . I think he is definitely higher on Hinkies board than towns and Okafor. Noel and Porzingis are interchangeable pieces that can fit around Embiid defensively and offensively. I think the ability to stash him while evaluating other prospects is a intriguing asset for Hinkie.
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#833 » by HankTheTank » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 pm

If in a position to draft Okafor, you draft him, regardless of fit on your team. Let him, Embiid, Noel, Saric develop and make difficult decisions a couple years down the road if need be.
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#834 » by Sixerscan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Lol people will lose their **** if we take another guy that won't play the year after we draft him.

Which means it will probably happen.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#835 » by Ericb5 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 pm

James40 wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:

Yea, he' stinks, 6'11" 270lbs, and has better handles than 3/4 of the guys currently on the Sixers. But he's probably the next Charles Shackleford.

The big difference between Parker and Okafor is that Okafor is dominant and projects to be dominant in the NBA too. Nobody ever uses the word dominant for Parker.

It is unfair to punish prospects just because they are already so good at a young age. You don't have to have a lot of untapped potential. You can have a lot of fully realized skill too.

Yes, Parker is a multi-talented stud with super star potential, but Okafor is going to be a big problem for opposing defenses even if he doesn't improve anymore. On top of being physically dominant, he has a vast array of post moves and is already an instinctual and precise passer.

He didn't put up big numbers last night, but if you watched the game he made a number of great passes and was doubled virtually every time he touched the ball.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#836 » by Ericb5 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 pm

HankTheTank wrote:If in a position to draft Okafor, you draft him, regardless of fit on your team. Let him, Embiid, Noel, Saric develop and make difficult decisions a couple years down the road if need be.

This is my current thinking as well. I am open minded about Porzingis and stashing him for a year doesn't both me at all. I really don't know anything about him other than what I have read, but at this point, I am thinking that Okafor is the no brainer pick if we get number 1.

If we get 2, 3, or 4 though then Porzingis could be the guy. If he is as good as people think he is then maybe he IS a better prospect than Towns. There is a lot of season left.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#837 » by wickedwrister » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Lol people will lose their **** if we take another guy that won't play the year after we draft him.

Which means it will probably happen.

Its more likely the Sixers will instead of some other team. If Okafor is the best player and has an injury that drops him a few picks the Sixers will take him if he is by far the best player left on the board.

The Knicks/Pistons/Timberwolves/Hornets and others seem to be organizations more interested in quicker fixes for broken situations.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,074

Post#838 » by Embiid P » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm

I may be in the extreme minority, but if we get the first or second pick, I'd trade down to 4 or 5 to take Johnson (the only player I'd be willing to trade down for) along with an unprotected first in 2016 (the Nets pick that the C's own perhaps?). That way we can fill a position of need and get a guy who brings toughness and energy to the team while also be in the running for Simmons or Maker (assuming he is eligible to declare) without having to tank again. I know that it's extremely risky and has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but if anyone has the cojones to do it, it's Hinkie.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#839 » by James40 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
James40 wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:

The big difference between Parker and Okafor is that Okafor is dominant and projects to be dominant in the NBA too. Nobody ever uses the word dominant for Parker.

It is unfair to punish prospects just because they are already so good at a young age. You don't have to have a lot of untapped potential. You can have a lot of fully realized skill too.

Yes, Parker is a multi-talented stud with super star potential, but Okafor is going to be a big problem for opposing defenses even if he doesn't improve anymore. On top of being physically dominant, he has a vast array of post moves and is already an instinctual and precise passer.

He didn't put up big numbers last night, but if you watched the game he made a number of great passes and was doubled virtually every time he touched the ball.

I was being sarcastic, something like an injury or Towns just completely dominating would have to happen not to take Okafor first. Towns may be a better fit with Embid though.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#840 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm

James40 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
James40 wrote:

I was being sarcastic, something like an injury or Towns just completely dominating would have to happen not to take Okafor first. Towns may be a better fit with Embid though.

Towns can't play Powerforward nor can Okafor they are too slow footed to roam the perimeter . Heck no. I am not hype about Towns he can make some flashy passes but he is nothing special and I don't think he will even be better than Andrew Bynum.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers