ImageImageImage

2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Re: 2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#261 » by MountainDrew » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Wasn't there like a lot of injury concerns with Myles Turner? Maybe he is in MIA pick range, that would be great value. Don't see it happening though.
Trust the Process
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#262 » by No-Man » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm

I made my first Mock, is still too early, and the standings are just my current projections, but it is something,

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1346018

Obviously I'm not looking at fit or whatever, and you could easily pick Mudiay or trade the pick, if you end up with the 1st selection.

Who knows what's going to happen with Embiid or Noel, and how everyone is going to look, but as you can see, I think Duke got a pretty good team this yeear.
76ers3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#263 » by 76ers3 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 am

I don't see what people see in Okafor tbh. I wouldn't want him over a healthy Embiid or Noel.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#264 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 am

76ers3 wrote:I don't see what people see in Okafor tbh. I wouldn't want him over a healthy Embiid or Noel.

Embiid is a better prospect, not Noel.

Anyway if he is the clearcut nº1, that I suspect by May, you just take him and figure it out after, or trade the pick at draft night.
76ers3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#265 » by 76ers3 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:55 am

Fischella wrote:
76ers3 wrote:I don't see what people see in Okafor tbh. I wouldn't want him over a healthy Embiid or Noel.

Embiid is a better prospect, not Noel.

Anyway if he is the clearcut nº1, that I suspect by May, you just take him and figure it out after, or trade the pick at draft night.

I haven't seen much of Okafor tbh, just the stuff I have seen and read haven't impressed me too much. With Joel and Noel, the idea of having TWO 7'0, athletic, rim protectors gives me the chills.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,554

Post#266 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:02 am

If we get Okafor, I can see Hinkie trading Okafor for Wiggins or Oumbre + unprotected 2016 1st and other picks. Personally, I notice most teams overpays for no.1 overall picks. I don\t think Hinkie would go the "Utah Jazz-Enes Kanter" route and hold unto his guy until his value devaluates.

Another scenario is a Kevin Love-Wiggins type scenario wherein we trade the no.1 overall pick for a disgruntled legit star/superstar player of need. Dare I say, Kevin Durant? Funny to think about it right now. But if OKC goes into another disappointing season, I think we are the team who have the best collection of assets to go after KD.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#267 » by Ericb5 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:10 pm

42uptop wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
42uptop wrote:DX's rankings are bad right now. I really have to question the basketball acumen of someone who thinks that Myles Turner is the 17th prospect, behind nobodies like Harrell, Walker, and Cauley-Stein. That makes no sense.

Also, Karl Towns is the best prospect. Better than Okafor. Just gonna say that now.

I like Draftexpress's rankings better than nbadraft.net's generally. Myles Turner is just raw. If he plays well in the first month of the season I bet that he rockets up to the top 5 or 6.

I don't think Turner is raw. His post game is raw, but he is a capable shooter, passer, and a dominant defensive center. He is actually a very smart player who knows his strengths.

On the other hand, you have a dyed hair goofball like Willie Cauley-Stein who can only dunk. Montrezl Harrell is a 6'6 power forward with no range. DX should be able to determine that these upperclassmen aren't going to be top 10 picks this year.

I agree with you that Turner will be a better player than either of those guys in the long run, but he hasn't proven anything yet in college. I think that he should be ranked higher today, but DraftExpress will correct it before too long. Willie Cauley-Stein is better than just a dunker though as he can be a dominating shot blocker as well. I think that it is clear by now that he isn't going to be a star, but I think that he could be a legitimate lottery pick this year.

I like Harrell too. He is short, but he has the freakish wingspan that equals it out. He has a strong motor too. Again, he isn't a star, but he is a legit prospect. If we weren't stacked in the front court already I would be thrilled with Harrell with the Miami pick.

I think that Turner will quickly establish himself as a top prospect and be in the top 5 or 6 before Christmas because he has a lot of skill and athleticism and he is also a high character guy with leadership potential.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#268 » by No-Man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:45 am

76ciology wrote: But if OKC goes into another disappointing season, I think we are the team who have the best collection of assets to go after KD.

think again, why would you trade all those assets for a guy that wont even consider resigning with you?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#269 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:07 am

Fischella wrote:
76ciology wrote: But if OKC goes into another disappointing season, I think we are the team who have the best collection of assets to go after KD.

think again, why would you trade all those assets for a guy that wont even consider resigning with you?

Money. Relatively big market. Very promising FO. Very talented team. Near Washington.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#270 » by No-Man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 am

76ciology wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Money. Relatively big market. Very promising FO. Very talented team. Near Washington.

no way in hell KD resigns to a team that is years ahead, and not just 2-3, YEARS to compete for a chip, no way, not in his prime like he is.

Is delusional to even consider it.
he would leave in one year if you manage to trade for hm next offseason.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#271 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Fischella wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Fischella wrote:think again, why would you trade all those assets for a guy that wont even consider resigning with you?

no way in hell KD resigns to a team that is years ahead, and not just 2-3, YEARS to compete for a chip, no way, not in his prime like he is.

Is delusional to even consider it.
he would leave in one year if you manage to trade for hm next offseason.

If we traded for Durant still have about $50 million in cap space. Something tells me we could switch gears and put a good team around him, especially with the strong free agent class upcoming and presumably having some assets left over. If you have one of the best 2 players in basketball and lots of room to work with you can get good pretty quick.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#272 » by ET Da Gawd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Stanley Johnson or Oubre plzzzz....that would round out the starting 5, I don't mid jahlil tho, he's like mix of demarcus and pau gasol...real high IQ
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#273 » by mksp » Fri Oct 3, 2014 12:47 pm

Man I'm really high on Oubre.

Seems like a Hinkie-type player as well - lefty, long, potentially very good defender.

He can shoot though!
BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#274 » by BobThornton » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:07 pm

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 24m24 minutes ago

League sources: NBA sent memo today indicating 30 teams could vote on slightly revised lottery reform proposal at Bd of Gov later this month

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 11m11 minutes ago

Proposal details: four worst teams would have equal 12 percent chance to win No. 1 pick. Worst team could fall no lower than No 7.

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 9m9 minutes ago

Four teams w/ best record would have, in order, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5% chance at No. 1 pick and better chance than today of moving into top-6
No-Man
RealGM

Post#275 » by No-Man » Sat Oct 4, 2014 11:12 pm

According to the measurements from USAB camp, Stanley Johnson is at 6'8 in shoes, near 7 feet wingspan and 243lbs and he is one of the youngest players from his class, he is in LeBron numbers physically, and appears to be growing.

Justise Winslow, who I believe will end up as a top10 pick, grew an inch swell, he is 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan and weighs 230lbs, another guy that is a True Freshmen.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#276 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:59 am

Fischella wrote:According to the measurements from USAB camp, Stanley Johnson is at 6'8 in shoes, near 7 feet wingspan and 243lbs and he is one of the youngest players from his class, he is in LeBron numbers physically, and appears to be growing.

Justise Winslow, who I believe will end up as a top10 pick, grew an inch swell, he is 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan and weighs 230lbs, another guy that is a True Freshmen.

To tell you the truth, the only thing for me that is stopping for Stanley Johnson to be a top pick is that he had a short wingspan.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#277 » by No-Man » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:04 am

76ciology wrote:
Fischella wrote:According to the measurements from USAB camp, Stanley Johnson is at 6'8 in shoes, near 7 feet wingspan and 243lbs and he is one of the youngest players from his class, he is in LeBron numbers physically, and appears to be growing.

To tell you the truth, the only thing for me that is stopping for Stanley Johnson to be a top pick is that he had a short wingspan.

He has a 6'11.5 wingspan, thats nearly elite at 6'7 barefoot, is not the 7'2 of Oubre but he is younger than Oubre, still growing and is more skilled and aggressive, his motor is 100 times better, and he is way stronger.
He appears to be growing also, if he is around 6'9 250 with that wingspan, strength, skill set and athleticsm come draft day, at just 19, he might be the top pick.
MountainDrew
Veteran

Post#278 » by MountainDrew » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:15 am

Physical attributes are not going to be the problem with Stanley Johnson. Defense of MCW-Johnson-McDaniels-Noel-Embiid would be insane! Now obviously no one can shoot but I don't want to worry about that right now.
Trust the Process
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#279 » by LloydFree » Sun Oct 5, 2014 2:00 pm

76ciology wrote:

Stanley Johnson is a SG/SF. His wingspan is good for a SF and great for a SG. I love Stanley Johnson, and wouldn't think twice about taking him over Oubre, at this point.
My question on Stanley Johnson is if his size is the root of his superiority over HS competition, rather than his skill. Basically, is he that good or is he just too big for his competition? I saw clips of him in the Seattle pro-am, and he looks like an NBA player physically. He's bigger than Tony Wroten and Terrance Ross. I'll have a better feel for him after I see him against major college competition and size.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
MountainDrew
Veteran

Post#280 » by MountainDrew » Sun Oct 5, 2014 2:54 pm

LloydFree wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Stanley Johnson is a SG/SF. His wingspan is good for a SF and great for a SG. I love Stanley Johnson, and wouldn't think twice about taking him over Oubre, at this point.
My question on Stanley Johnson is if his size is the root of his superiority over HS competition, rather than his skill. Basically, is he that good or is he just too big for his competition? I saw clips of him in the Seattle pro-am, and he looks like an NBA player physically. He's bigger than Tony Wroten and Terrance Ross. I'll have a better feel for him after I see him against major college competition and size.

Basically. I mean, at this point we still know nothing, really. At this point last year there was a lot of talk about Randle going 1st overall, nobody even knew who Embiid was yet. Everything can change, I just hope that all 3 of Johnson, Oubre and Hezonja can stay at the top.
Trust the Process

Return to Philadelphia 76ers