Nerlens Noel Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#81 » by Cokeleaf » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:58 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:Yea baby, Nerlens confident in his shot. Made 33/40 FT in practice.
Smiling, he says "I've exceeded what Coach has wanted out of me". Talking about Coach Brown who wanted Nerlens to reach 63%ft efficiency.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/opsl-nerlens-noel-7/7

Video is titled OPSL: Nerlens Noel Postgame (7/5)

Wow Dude is back down to 223lbs though He needs to start eating more haha and pumping them weights to be at 230lbs by the start of the season like He said He wants to be..

It's great he has set a goal of 230lbs for the beginning of the NBA season.
It's funny how some people are more surprised about his weight than his fantastic newly developed shooting abilities at the line. Which will translate to 15-18ft jumpers at some point
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#82 » by MCtripDub » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:22 am

Cokeleaf wrote:
MCtripDub wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:Yea baby, Nerlens confident in his shot. Made 33/40 FT in practice.
Smiling, he says "I've exceeded what Coach has wanted out of me". Talking about Coach Brown who wanted Nerlens to reach 63%ft efficiency.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/opsl-nerlens-noel-7/7

Video is titled OPSL: Nerlens Noel Postgame (7/5)

he's at 223 now? so 20 lbs heavier than when we drafted him? 1 year = 20 lbs... not bad!

He was 203lbs when drafted him? lol are you sure. I thought he was 215lbs area, but regardless, he has added muscle which is great!

Well, 17 lbs gained.. close enough haha [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ChSBWIYfc[/youtube]
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

Cokeleaf
Senior

Post#83 » by Cokeleaf » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:47 am

MCtripDub wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:
MCtripDub wrote:
he's at 223 now? so 20 lbs heavier than when we drafted him? 1 year = 20 lbs... not bad!

He was 203lbs when drafted him? lol are you sure. I thought he was 215lbs area, but regardless, he has added muscle which is great!

Well, 17 lbs gained.. close enough haha [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ChSBWIYfc[/youtube]

Haha all goods, if it wasn't for the video I wouldn't have believed you!

Na nah I would've
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#84 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:55 am

I think tonight's game is more of the Noel you'll get during the season. That 19 points will be an anomaly IMO.

As a rookie I think his numbers will be something like:

9.8 ppg
7.1 rpg
2.2 spg
2.3 bpg

A stat sheet stuffer basically. As a rookie that isn't bad. I know people will look at the numbers and not be blown away, but I think Noel will have a major impact on the game in ways that don't show up on the stats. Altering shots with his presence alone, deflecting balls that throw the offense out of whack with his length, running the floor and neutralizing the fastbreak, etc.
Cokeleaf
Senior

Post#85 » by Cokeleaf » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:02 am

Westbrook36 wrote:I think tonight's game is more of the Noel you'll get during the season. That 19 points will be an anomaly IMO.

As a rookie I think his numbers will be something like:

9.8 ppg
7.1 rpg
2.2 spg
2.3 bpg

A stat sheet stuffer basically. As a rookie that isn't bad. I know people will look at the numbers and not be blown away, but I think Noel will have a major impact on the game in ways that don't show up on the stats. Altering shots with his presence alone, deflecting balls that throw the offense out of whack with his length, running the floor and neutralizing the fastbreak, etc.

He will have on and off games. With guards who like to pass, and are able to make passes (Carter-Williams and to a lesser extent Wroten) Nerlens will get 2+ easy buckets a game.

There was one time I can vividly recall Nerlens was WIDE open under the hoop calling for the ball for 2 seconds and the guard up the top of the three point line didn't pass the ball.

Nerlens will struggle during parts of games that is a fact, he will also show signs of dominance in all areas of play
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#86 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:05 am

If Noel is able to hit free throws at a respectable clip than believe he'll average double digits, he played 23 minutes tonight with terrible, chucking guards.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#87 » by JordanMars » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 am

BUMP, You heard it here 1st, Noel is already showing more offensive game then any of you thought hed have
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#88 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 am

JordanMars wrote:BUMP, You heard it here 1st, Noel is already showing more offensive game then any of you thought hed have

Good call. I think he's chance is improving but I still have Jabari as the most likely ROY. Bucks would probably prioritiZe jabari winning the ROY than winning games. He's the face of their franchise right now.

Noel is more of a team player who have more positive impact than Jabari in the game. He's a guy you'd want if you are looking to win but isn't as sexy as a 20ppg caliber forward who can create on his own. FWIW, I think Noel has a shot of making the all-star team. He's probably one of the most entertaining centers to watch. And he should have record breaking nights with his numbers just like MCW.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by MCtripDub » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 am

76ciology wrote:
JordanMars wrote:BUMP, You heard it here 1st, Noel is already showing more offensive game then any of you thought hed have

Good call. I think he's chance is improving but I still have Jabari as the most likely ROY. Bucks would probably prioritiZe jabari winning the ROY than winning games. He's the face of their franchise right now.

Noel is more of a team player who have more positive impact than Jabari in the game. He's a guy you'd want if you are looking to win but isn't as sexy as a 20ppg caliber forward who can create on his own. FWIW, I think Noel has a shot of making the all-star team. He's probably one of the most entertaining centers to watch. And he should have record breaking nights with his numbers just like MCW.

I was just thinking about Jabari's chances. Reports came out that Kidd likes brandon knight at sg. Giannis is a huge pg who's prolly gona be playing at sf if jabari plays at 4 (at which I think he will be playing since jkidd is gona make them run). Plus whoever they end up selecting as their pg.

So. Pg. Knight. Giannis. Jabari. They're all pretty ball dominant and IMO that might take away a lot of freedom from jabari. Idk is that just me, and my strong desire for Noel to win roy?... Or even maybe dpoy

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

Cokeleaf
Senior

Post#90 » by Cokeleaf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am

MCtripDub wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I was just thinking about Jabari's chances. Reports came out that Kidd likes brandon knight at sg. Giannis is a huge pg who's prolly gona be playing at sf if jabari plays at 4 (at which I think he will be playing since jkidd is gona make them run). Plus whoever they end up selecting as their pg.

So. Pg. Knight. Giannis. Jabari. They're all pretty ball dominant and IMO that might take away a lot of freedom from jabari. Idk is that just me, and my strong desire for Noel to win roy?... Or even maybe dpoy

Giannis is a huge PG? I didn't know
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#91 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Nerlens stats from SL: 27.2 PER, 3.7 steals/40, 4.8 Blocks/40, 79% FTs

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status ... 16/photo/1
ESPN Sucks
76ciology
RealGM

Post#92 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

MCtripDub wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Defer being ball dominant from whom?

A below average PG in Knight, a most likely rotational PG via FA, Giannis who doesn't have advanced ball handling skills, Ilyasova who's more of a pick and pop guy.. Maybe mayo, but i doubt it. FWIW, the ownership is very high on Jabari and I wouldn't be surprise if they make jabari like a point power forward just like LBJ whenever the Heat plays small ball.

Kidd likes his offense to have good ball rotation coupled with perimeter shooting. Personally, I see the Bucks as the Knicks or the Mavs team with Kidd with a superstar player on spotlight on offense but the ball is not being blackholed it is rather being move from side to side to the open guy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect

Post#93 » by MCtripDub » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 am

Knight is a bellow average score-first PG, which is why he might be played at SG this year. Plus they're trying to sign Eric Bledsoe, another ball dominant guard. TBH Idk how we can all judge Jkidd's offense just yet. Last year was kind of weird since he had to work with the established skill sets of his vets. This year, I think he gets the freedom to play "jason kidd" basketball ala PHX or NJ days. Outlet pass - run with me - quick score. Halfcourt offense: pick and roll (like kidd/martin did in NJ)

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

MCtripDub
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by MCtripDub » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:06 am

Like I said.... Giannis is an overgrown point guard, and Jason Kidd seems to think so as well. http://oak.ctx.ly/r/1dsgm

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

76ciology
RealGM

Post#95 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:11 am

When you are in a physical disadvantage, you've got to make it up with effort. I know Nerlens is playing it smart, but his lack of aggressiveness is shown with his limited number of fouls (except for last game). You look at KG, he plays with insane intensity, he won't be pushing shaq at his prime but he makes it up with his quickness, athleticism and just persistence to grab the boards.

See, Nerlens won't be adding 20lbs of weight and be strong during the season, he needs to find a way to be aggressive out there. He needs to be much much more physical plays with much intensity. Right now, to describe his defense, it's being opportunistic. Grabbing unchallenged rebounds and only challenging limited shots. He's being too smart, but sometimes being too smart can lead to lack of aggressiveness (something to do with risk management and risk vs reward).

Offensively, he needs to catch and grab the ball better. He's got a lot of good looks slipping off pick and rolls but the ball handler hesitates to lob it up because he usually loses the ball. His shooting is also flat, there's not much arc, thus the margin of error is really small because the hoop is smaller with a flat shot compared to a high arching one.

Personally, I think Nerlens has bad hands, but he's young so he might still improve. Then I thought he should play limited minutes and just be a high intensity defensive game changer off the bench.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#96 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:12 am

Agree with you entirely, however I don't understand why he's not playing more PF, he's been awful since having been moved to Center, not that it's an excuse for his play just that he had played so well in those first few games.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:35 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Agree with you entirely, however I don't understand why he's not playing more PF, he's been awful since having been moved to Center, not that it's an excuse for his play just that he had played so well in those first few games.

My guess are.. At PF his advantage of quickness and athleticism can be minimized with quick and athletic PFs. So at Center he has a clear advantage that counter with stronger center, I think that was clear during the first match against D12.

Luc Mbah and Davies are two of our better rebounders. So one of them should play with Nerlens.

And lastly, having Noel at PF with a center hurts our floor spacing. And it matters when your team's second best scorer is Brandon Davies, and next is Shved. The only way this team can keep up in the scoring dept. is by good floor spacing and hitting those perimeter shots.

For me position is minimal. It's his lack of intensity that is causing him to struggle on offense. I mean, great defensive players either irritates or intimidates opposing teams. I think opponent's emotion plays a big factor on defense. Noel is like a new kid that you wouldn't mind playing with. He'd surprise you sometimes with his shotblocking but most of the time, you just don't care that he's there.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#98 » by Lapinski » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Davies is averaging 8.4 rebounds per 48 minutes, hardly a good rebounder.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#99 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:46 am

With regards to rebounding, I think our full commitment to run somewhat suffers our rebounding. Our guys are more concern on scoring off transition than boxing their man out and crashing the boards.
Mogul
Junior
And1: 267

Post#100 » by Mogul » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:08 pm

[quote="Lapinski"]Davies is averaging 8.4 rebounds per 48 minutes, hardly a good rebounder.[/quote]
I agree. Davies is a pretty poor rebounder in general. Especially on the defensive glass.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers