ImageImageImage

Around the League 2014-2015

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Around the League 2014-2015 

Post#461 » by LongLiveHinkie » Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:32 am

I've been a Wiggins fan since day one, but when I watch him I don't see a guy who will be the #1 option on any elite team. Doesn't command the ball enough. Gets a lot of garbage points(in the games that I saw). Haven't been blown away by him this year... or any other rookie for that matter. This class is massively disappointing so far. Granted, a ton of injuries.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#462 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:58 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSW5QNmQFVA[/youtube]

Looking much more confident than he did to start the year.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#463 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 8, 2015 3:24 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:I've been a Wiggins fan since day one, but when I watch him I don't see a guy who will be the #1 option on any elite team. Doesn't command the ball enough. Gets a lot of garbage points(in the games that I saw). Haven't been blown away by him this year... or any other rookie for that matter. This class is massively disappointing so far. Granted, a ton of injuries.

Westbrook this is not directed at you, even though I did quote your post.

The best potential player in the last draft is injured.
The probable second best player in the draft is injured.
The most gifted player in the draft played one year of college ball and did not really distinguish himself in that year.

When did people’s expectations of rookies coming into the NBA become so high?
Is it due to the consistent stream of information we can now get on the game and players that we now have unrealistic expectations of them coming in?

Even Jordan was not Jordan his first year in the NBA. These guys coming into the league have a whole lot more hype than ever before. A lot of that is generated by blogs and writers that need people to come to their sites and click. So they will analyze a player every which way they can. And fans eat it up.

Fans need to learn to temper their expectations, at least in the first year or two, of these rookies. So many rookies have only 1 year of college basketball under their belt. Coming into the league after playing 4 years in college is hard enough. Imagine after only 1 year.

The great thing about guys like Noel , MCW, KJ and even Embiid. Is that they have a unique opportunity to learn on the job. Embiid can study film and work on other things right now. Even when he gets back on the court. He is not seen as the guy that is going to turn around the franchise day one and take us to the playoffs it is a learning process.

Fans seem to come down hard on MCW. No he is not all world. But he is still a 2nd year player taking on a massive load. Give the guy a break. He is learning. Sometimes you have to regress at times to go forward. And he is working with less talent this year than he had last year. Perhaps he feels the need to shoulder more of the burden.

Noel…I love this guy. For all of his shortcomings I see a guy that is willing to work hard and the idea of him becoming a defensive anchor for this team is exciting.

KJ is still a rookie and learning on the job. But the guy has great potential. As long as he keeps getting the playing time he will improve.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#464 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 8, 2015 3:34 pm

Well, Jordan averaged 28 points a night his first year in the league. Then again he was 21 (Also he was Michael Jordan).

Agreed that people are too quick to jump to conclusions, especially for the teenagers. Guys like MCW however the time to improve is a little shorter.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#465 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:01 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Well, Jordan averaged 28 points a night his first year in the league. Then again he was 21 (Also he was Michael Jordan).

Agreed that people are too quick to jump to conclusions, especially for the teenagers. Guys like MCW however the time to improve is a little shorter.

MCW is actually playing above expectations in his career thus far. He is better than anyone expected. I think MCW's turnovers will dramatically decrease when the talent on this team is improved . MCW obviously knows how to run an offense and use his length on point guards. Also has shown the ability to adapt to different line ups. His shooting form is actually solid. He lacks touch .
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#466 » by BoomBap » Thu Jan 8, 2015 9:48 pm

the bucks waived wolters and the wiz waived glen rice. we should sign them.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#467 » by ckchen » Thu Jan 8, 2015 11:17 pm

BoomBap wrote:the bucks waived wolters and the wiz waived glen rice. we should sign them.

If the sixers weren't going to waive Jakarr or Malcolm Thomas yesterday for guarantee deadline, then I would say it's pretty unlikely. I think both are decent players and Wolters particularly would fill a need for a legitimate PG off the bench, and if his contract includes his team options moving forward, might be worth a waiver claim.

A little wary about Glen Rice's alleged attitude problems, though. A red-flag before the draft and then waived because he got into with his coaches. Even though he seems like he might have some talent, it's probably not worth the issue if it's truly a problem. Wolters was at least cut for a player. The Wiz thought an empty roster spot was preferable to paying Rice, let's think about that for a second and then evaluate whether or not it's worth exploring.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#468 » by ZarcMumoff » Fri Jan 9, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm enjoying the Knicks being terrible about 100x more because it makes Phil Jackson look bad. Hope they never turn it around.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer

Post#469 » by BoomBap » Fri Jan 9, 2015 5:46 pm

ckchen wrote:
BoomBap wrote:the bucks waived wolters and the wiz waived glen rice. we should sign them.

If the sixers weren't going to waive Jakarr or Malcolm Thomas yesterday for guarantee deadline, then I would say it's pretty unlikely. I think both are decent players and Wolters particularly would fill a need for a legitimate PG off the bench, and if his contract includes his team options moving forward, might be worth a waiver claim.

A little wary about Glen Rice's alleged attitude problems, though. A red-flag before the draft and then waived because he got into with his coaches. Even though he seems like he might have some talent, it's probably not worth the issue if it's truly a problem. Wolters was at least cut for a player. The Wiz thought an empty roster spot was preferable to paying Rice, let's think about that for a second and then evaluate whether or not it's worth exploring.

we waived ak47 and we could waive jakarr. should we claim them now? :)
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#470 » by ckchen » Fri Jan 9, 2015 6:15 pm

BoomBap wrote:
ckchen wrote:

we waived ak47 and we could waive jakarr. should we claim them now? :)

Did we waive AK47 and no one noticed? As far as I know he's still on the team, but suspended. And with the line drawn in the sand, I don't see that changing in time to claim either guy off waivers. Still have the same questions though, on Rice.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer

Post#471 » by BoomBap » Fri Jan 9, 2015 6:41 pm

yeah you are right. i haven't read the whole article.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#472 » by Winejk » Fri Jan 9, 2015 7:19 pm

Hinkie picked Rice in the 2013 draft and traded him to the Wizards. He also drafted Wolters (I think) and traded him to Milwaukee. He may still take a flyer on them since they are basically free (other than clearing the necessary roster spots), but if Hinkie was really high on them, it is likely he would have kept one or both when he drafted them.

Then again, the Sixers had to resort to Malcom Lee when injuries to the guards occurred earlier this season. And now that Shved has come and gone, maybe the Sixers could use another ball handler (or maybe they want to continue the Jakaar Sampson at PG experiment). I'd think Wolters is probably more likely than Rice, but the likelihood of either getting picked up by Hinkie is still remote.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#473 » by James40 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 am

PK5 wrote:I'm enjoying the Knicks being terrible about 100x more because it makes Phil Jackson look bad. Hope they never turn it around.

I'm not a fan of his either but those 11 rings.... Make it hard for him to look bad, maybe he is a **** GM though.

Btw, Wiggins had 20 on 6-17 shooting, 7-9 at the FT, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Thad scored 12, but had 5 steals, not bad.

But our boy Jrue in a Pelicans win, 23 points on 7-13 shooting, 3-6 from 3, 6-6 ft, 8 assists, and 0 turnovers. No wonder the Pels won.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#474 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:02 am

Wish we would have claimed Tarik Black, had a really good game in limited minutes for the Lakers.

In 17 minutes he had 14 points on 4-4 shooting, 6-7 from stripe, 9 rebounds (4O, 5D), and a block.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#475 » by ZarcMumoff » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:22 pm

James40 wrote:
PK5 wrote:I'm enjoying the Knicks being terrible about 100x more because it makes Phil Jackson look bad. Hope they never turn it around.

I'm not a fan of his either but those 11 rings.... Make it hard for him to look bad, maybe he is a **** GM though.

Btw, Wiggins had 20 on 6-17 shooting, 7-9 at the FT, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Thad scored 12, but had 5 steals, not bad.

But our boy Jrue in a Pelicans win, 23 points on 7-13 shooting, 3-6 from 3, 6-6 ft, 8 assists, and 0 turnovers. No wonder the Pels won.

He won 9 of those 11 rings with Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq.

Eddie Jordan could have won seven rings with those duos.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#476 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Knicks are currently trailing the Hornets 73-33 with a couple minutes left in the third quarter.

I remember when I mentioned after a Sixers loss that it could be worse, like being a Knicks fan and a couple of you guys jumped on me. :lol:
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
BoomBap
Bench Warmer

Post#477 » by BoomBap » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm

the knicks are really really bad :D. i kinda like it. **** the knicks.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#478 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Lol, George Karl is fine with the Knicks rebuilding/tanking...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#479 » by James40 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:20 am

PK5 wrote:
James40 wrote:

He won 9 of those 11 rings with Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq.

Eddie Jordan could have won seven rings with those duos.

I agree, but he gets credit for it though.. Even Doug Moe may have won 5.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#480 » by Skates » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Lol, George Karl is fine with the Knicks rebuilding/tanking...

Of course he is, Karl blatantly does anything possible to try and get back into the NBA as a coach. That is why he is kissing PJ's arse in hopes that Fisher eventually gets canned and he gets the job in NY. Karl knows he would be at about 500 or lower on the list of possible coaches the Sixers would consider, hence it is fun for him to bash them for him. Guy has always been two things, a pretty good, not great coach, and a total douche bag.

In other news, shall we begin the David Blatt coaching death watch pool now??

Return to Philadelphia 76ers